Where do we need to strengthen?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
Just read this from Danny

“Look at the club’s record last season and they did not score enough goals,” said the Blades boss. “The ‘goals for’ column was simply not good enough.

“So, we may have to get someone in to improve that.”

The obvious conclusion from the Stir is that we're looking for a striker, but with Boggy, Ched, Slew all still at the club (as I write) then I'm not sure that we need strikers as a priority.

My priority is
- Goals from elsewhere - Central Midfielder (can Mcallister do it?)
- Sort out the supply lines - wingers, fullbacks, decent set pieces etc

When you look at the squad of

GK - Simmo, Askalu, Long - We need a new Keeper as Simmo needs the competition that askalu and long dont provide - i expect askalu to leave and it appears duke will be signed this week.

Def - Morgs, ertl, france, Taylor, Maguire, Collins, Lowton, warren and Jean-Francois. - we need a cb desperately as we cant rely on morgan till atelast sept/october time and collins isnt the best!! we also need a new lb.

Midfield - Doyle, Monty, yeates, harriot, willo, tonne, mcallister and quinn - we are weakest in midfield imo we need 2 wingers and 2 maybe 3 if we sell monty and quinn. if we sign this flynn lad then that would be decent. I want some mccall type general in the middle - wise head who can dictate and pass.

Strikers - slew, philliskirk, evans, boggy, cresswell - expect 2 of these to go, we need a big man upfront and we need a 15/20 man (but who doesnt)

So i would say we need to add in some and overhaul in over areas - atleast another 8 players in and i expect atleast 5 to leave.

I think we need a CB as a priority. If we are to play Maguire get him next so someone with experience and a bit of pace. Not sure who fits the bill who is available but that is what I think we need the most.

Lowton if he stays will be immense at RB & I assume the Lescinel Geezer will be playing LB if DW has brought him in.

IMO McCallister if given the chance can score goals from Midfield. A position we have always struggled in is wingers. Lets get two wingers in. I heard the Pigs were after Lloyd Dyer, why don't we go for him, good winger with pace, always scares full backs.

And it really depends on who we are left with at the start of the season to who plays up front. IMO I think Boggy may do a job but time will tell. I hope Slew signs but I cannot see it.

I think we will end up with, Cresswell, Boggy, Philiskirk & One other new signing possibly Parkin or Paynter.

It is going to be a tough season.

Strikers ,Boggy ,Slew and Cresswell are not good enough and Philliskirk isn't ready. Henderson is a massive lose.

Cresswell was pretty dire tonight. We are definitely short up front. I don't think we have anywhere near the budget to bring in someone who is going to 'bang them in' though.

I know we are quick to judge, predicting failure is always a safe bet when only three teams get promoted. But it does seem we have picked up 4 OK players from the development squad (Philliskirk, McAllister, Tonne and Conneely) and four from the academy (Slew, Maguire, Gregory and Harriott), plus at least four of the newbies have potential (Lecsinel, Duke, Stang and Kruk) and add to that four from before with Morgan, Lowton, Williamson and Simonsen - altogether not a hot bet for promotion but a lot of youth and room to build. All in all too early to get depressed.

Yep goals from midfield or anywhere would be a blessing after having the feeblest attack in the division last season although goals did arrive a little too late with Hendo returning and Slew chipped in with a couple.
Other than that we have the pretty much the same strikers although they should find it easier to find the net down a league.
From the last match comments it sounded like the drought continues with Slew missing a couple of sitters and Boggy unable to find the net.
DW has got to find someone who can finish the chances that they are given.

I know we are quick to judge, predicting failure is always a safe bet when only three teams get promoted. But it does seem we have picked up 4 OK players from the development squad (Philliskirk, McAllister, Tonne and Conneely) and four from the academy (Slew, Maguire, Gregory and Harriott), plus at least four of the newbies have potential (Lecsinel, Duke, Stang and Kruk) and add to that four from before with Morgan, Lowton, Williamson and Simonsen - altogether not a hot bet for promotion but a lot of youth and room to build.

...... hence we urgently need a reliable goalkeeper.

We need goals from midfield and pace in the final third. Even if they're not very skillful we need a couple of players that can stretch teams. For the past couple of years we've been too pedestrian and it's easy for teams to regroup and defend against our attacks.

Unless Simmo finds some confidence and form over the summer I think we'll need a new keeper, I don't think Long is ready just yet. Is Askalu likely to get a game? shouldn't be any worries this season about the big crowds and state of mind :p

I'd start with the first team. ;)

We need a spine; a centre half, centre midfield, forward.

However we also need a couple of pacey wide men, but thats nothing new.

Just shows how far we have dropped that 3 years ago ,the last time at worksop Kenny played the 1st half and Benno 2nd. Ian was there last night ,he should have been in our goal last season if it wasn't for that nob Blackwell.

The Boardroom.

The quality of the hand driers and bread needs to be sorted above all else - that is what Blades are bothered about - oh and bit of communication please about how it is intended to be done.

Just shows how far we have dropped that 3 years ago ,the last time at worksop Kenny played the 1st half and Benno 2nd. Ian was there last night ,he should have been in our goal last season if it wasn't for that nob Blackwell.

and his wrists, plus his inability to play too many consecutive games in cooler conditions.

Utter rubbish , it was Blackwells decision to chop and change ,I 'll give you the fact that Simmonson played so many consecutive games ,shame he was also consistent.
I see Sharp is likely to go for 3 mill today another gem from Blackwells destruction of our football club ,he couldn't manage a shit ,which is why he is probably still unemployed after nearly 12 months.

Well done to John Ryan for getting top dollar though eh?

Where do we need to strengthen? Christ on a bike, is there anywhere we don't?

Goalkeeper. Which Simmo will show up. Loan man of late 09/10, or inept bungler from last season? Might need help here.
RB. Lowton. The ONE ray of light.
LB. New bloke presumably so it's tied up. He MUST be better than Taylor.
CB. Maguire has promise but will he be up to it. Starter.
CB. Morgan injured, Collins shit, Ertl poor, need help here NOW.
Wide. We have fuck all, we need wingers NOW.
CM. McAllister has promise, Willo has glass legs/back, Monty is shit, Quinn is OK but inconsistent. Need at least one in NOW.
Up Front. Goals galore, NOT.

Not the best squad we've ever had going into a season.

Not only that Grecian, but three of those central midfielders may be moving, according to rumblings.

Utter rubbish , it was Blackwells decision to chop and change ,I 'll give you the fact that Simmonson played so many consecutive games ,shame he was also consistent.
I see Sharp is likely to go for 3 mill today another gem from Blackwells destruction of our football club ,he couldn't manage a shit ,which is why he is probably still unemployed after nearly 12 months.

Hey you'll get no argument from me on Blackwells ineptitude. However Benno couldn't play consecutive matches during the cooler months, his wrists couldn't recover.
Ask him, he'll also be able to tell you the best tips for the day.

As it stands we need a centre back, two wide men and a centre forward IMO. If the players rumoured to be on their way actually go, then we'll also need a centre mid and another wide player to give us options.

As it stands we need a centre back, two wide men and a centre forward IMO. If the players rumoured to be on their way actually go, then we'll also need a centre mid and another wide player to give us options.

I don't believe those rumours are 100% accurate, I think at least one of those stated to be leaving this week will still be here come the first game.

Just read this from Danny

The obvious conclusion from the Stir is that we're looking for a striker, but with Boggy, Ched, Slew all still at the club (as I write) then I'm not sure that we need strikers as a priority.

My priority is
- Goals from elsewhere - Central Midfielder (can Mcallister do it?)
- Sort out the supply lines - wingers, fullbacks, decent set pieces etc

First priority would need to be a Board of Directors with the following:
a) Some common sense
b) Some money to invest in the Club (not lend to the Club)
c) Some balls
d) Some basic football knowlege
e) a desire and the ambition to genuinely see the Club move forward and prosper in the next 2 to 5 years.
f) the guts and determination to NOT sell players cheaply and therefore change our reputation for the future.

With regard to the Team on the pitch, I would say in terms of strengthening, we need at least:

a) a goalkeeper
b) a centre half ( assuming Morgs will be fit Octoberish - if not we need 2)
c) two wingers (preferably two footed, able to cross a ball, beat defenders and preferably at least one of them with pace)
d) a target man type striker who CAN actually score goals
e) a fast pacey striker who CAN actually score goals. (this effectively rules out the Marcus Bent types who couldn't score in a brothel)
f) a midfield general with something between his ears

None of these players need to be world beaters, indeed we will struggle to attract quality players into the 3rd Division and therefore dont need to break the bank or be paid staggering wages.
What we need is CONSISTENCY at this level; solid,reliable and consistent. If you have those three attributes at this level there is NOTHING in this Division to beat!!
I should point out that I am not suggesting we will walk this Division, far from it, as I do not have any confidence whatsoever that McCabe and his puppet Board will put in place the modest
resources necessary for the Manager to assemble a decent squad for this Division.

Players we should dispose of, IMHO are: Simmonsen, Collins, Doyle, Taylor, Monty, Williamson, Quinn, Bogdanovich, Cresswell, none of which were worth a bag of chips last season and the
only one who could possibly be of use would be Quinn (if he wasnt played out of position all the time)
UTB

I think you are assuming we will be playing 4-4-2 Darth.

I am assuming 4-4-2, you are correct.
But only because I have seen us struggle to play 4-3-3 under Speedo, and 4-5-1 under Hoofy. We just simply havent the quality of player to play other than 4-4-2 IMHO.
There aren't many forwards outside the Premiership who have the skills to play the lone striker (not many in it either) and we certainly don't have the pulling power to get one.
Therefore I hope we will be playing 4-4-2
UTB

I am assuming 4-4-2, you are correct.
But only because I have seen us struggle to play 4-3-3 under Speedo, and 4-5-1 under Hoofy. We just simply havent the quality of player to play other than 4-4-2 IMHO.
There aren't many forwards outside the Premiership who have the skills to play the lone striker (not many in it either) and we certainly don't have the pulling power to get one.
Therefore I hope we will be playing 4-4-2
UTB

:) I hope we won't.

we need to replace the former lord brown.. umm.. hold on.. how long have we been saying this??

Back
Top Bottom