What's easier going up or staying up?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berkshire Blade

Reaction score
Our two recent seasons in the top flight couldn't be more different I still really can't judge the gap between the two leagues. Going up probably feels better than narrowly staying up but doesn't necessarily mean it's harder. We went up with the injury list longer than most A&E's with games to spare. I couldn't imagine us staying up with similar!

Our two recent seasons in the top flight couldn't be more different I still really can't judge the gap between the two leagues. Going up probably feels better than narrowly staying up but doesn't necessarily mean it's harder. We went up with the injury list longer than most A&E's with games to spare. I couldn't imagine us staying up with similar!
Both need consistency. But also there will be many sides fighting throughout the season depending on form. Just look at who gets sucked into relegation battle after a few bad results and managerial changes. Same in championship, always a couple of sides coming on the rails late on.

The top sides in the Championship probably aren’t too far away from the bottom sides in the Premier League. But the other ends of those divisions are really far off..

I don’t think either is easy

I think we are still fortunate there are some teams in the Premier League that will struggle still judging by last year. As long as we can scrape away from the bottom 3 and maybe have a decent cup run we should hopefully be better off 2nd season and not slip into the syndrome of 2nd season. Helping to bring about the demise of Forest being relegated is a worthy thought. Trying to be positive.

I’d say it’s a close one but I think going up is more difficult as you’ve got to be consistent throughout the season. To stay up you can be poor for 3/4 of the season and then pull off some freak results in the last 10/15 games.

Is it harder getting 100 points in the Championship or 40 points in the Prem.

I have an equation 100 divided by 40 multiplied by 10 is the number of points we will get this season.

I have an equation 100 divided by 40 multiplied by 10 is the number of points we will get this season.
It's a difficult one neither is an easy task , but winning can become a habit as can losing , fine margins and all that , but last season there were 18 games we didn't win, I'd settle this season for there to be 18 games we don't lose that would give us a decent chance of survival

Both need consistency. But also there will be many sides fighting throughout the season depending on form. Just look at who gets sucked into relegation battle after a few bad results and managerial changes. Same in championship, always a couple of sides coming on the rails late on.

The top sides in the Championship probably aren’t too far away from the bottom sides in the Premier League. But the other ends of those divisions are really far off..

I don’t think either is easy
Totally agreed. Thats why in a way i would like the idea of the European Super League free up an additional 4-6 places in the Premier league from the Championship and i think the Premier league would be a much better competition then.

Based on our promotions and subsequent relegations.

Its clearly harder to stay up..

Especially when you're playing the ref, who's got a signed Harry Kane shirt in the boot of the car..

Based on our promotions and subsequent relegations.

Its clearly harder to stay up..

Especially when you're playing the ref, who's got a signed Harry Kane shirt in the boot of the car..
Exactly given that we've never consolidated at the top level in many of our lifetimes, I'd say staying up.

Exactly given that we've never consolidated at the top level in many of our lifetimes, I'd say staying up.

I'm 54, we never had more than 2 years, I think?

When wilder took us up, I laughed all summer.. I just couldn't believe it..

I really didnt think we'd ever see the prem again when we cheered fabian brandy's shot that night.

(if you were there, you'd get it) 👍

I'm harsh on wilder, but I loved him, wish he'd got the bollocks ii thought he had.

Storming us back up, oh well.

I'm 54, we never had more than 2 years, I think?

When wilder took us up, I laughed all summer.. I just couldn't believe it..

I really didnt think we'd ever see the prem again when we cheered fabian brandy's shot that night.

(if you were there, you'd get it) 👍

I'm harsh on wilder, but I loved him, wish he'd got the bollocks ii thought he had.

Storming us back up, oh well.
5 seasons 1971-76
4 seasons 1990-94

Staying up.

If we could win every game and stay in championship I'd be over the moon, much prefer the championship to the prem.
You get up, you grab a few beers, you meet the lad who is at Sheffield Uni, he buys you jager bombs for the group (on my card), we go to the game, we, more often than not, win. Train home - happy ... the wife and 2 girls are happy that I am happy - their choice of Take Away and TV.... everyone is happy. We are in the PL now, with no money for quality signings....... ah well, next season I am sure the kids and Mrs will enjoy beans on toast when I get home and the Golf Channel on lol.
I love the Championship each and every week. But you have to give it a go in the PL (and last time - wow ) if you get the chance and who knows - we may get top 10, or 17th ... but the season will be a lot more stressful

I am going higher (if my maths was correct lol)

I never studied statistics, but I would have thought that as 3 teams out of 24 go up from the Championship, and 3 out of 20 get relegated from the PL, it is harder to stay up in the PL.

But looking at it another way , to get promoted you need to outperform 21 other teams whereas to avoid relegation you only need to gain more points than 3 of them . :)

Staying up.

If we could win every game and stay in championship I'd be over the moon, much prefer the championship to the prem.
This is how I feel, also. I obviously want us to be successful, but the reward for that success is a league that I really don’t like or enjoy. Which is why I am totally relaxed about how we perform next season. A mate of mine reckons we’ll be down before January. My response to that was, ‘good….it means we don’t have to spend stupid money in the JTW trying to preserve our prem status’ :)

I dont like the Premier League for lots of reasons, but the main reason is I hate seeing United lose, it pisses me right off and being in the Premier League means to me that we will lose a lot more. I also don't like watching us have little possession and hardly any efforts on goal. However I'm not completely thick, I realise that we can't just piss about in league 1 and Championship winning lots of games and scoring lots of goals, its not sustainable. I want us to be the best we can be, which means trying to compete with teams with an unfair advantage in the Prem. We need to survive and then build from there and hopefully in 2 or 3 years we are no longer the team that defends for its life and tries pinching a goal here or there, we become established and start controlling games against the mid and lower teams and I/we start seeing loads of possession, attacking play and goals in the Premier League.

Other things I hate about the Premier league are in no particular order, VAR, less games, fake Premier league tourist fans, fewer games on a Sat, pundits who know fuck all about this club and what it means to us, the spunkfest over Pep, Liverpool, the importance of finishing 2, 3rd or 4th over winning the FA Cup....I could probably go on but I'm sounding like a right miserable twat.

Got to be harder to stay up than to go up, the trend is usually the teams relegated from the Prem do well and two of them will return. Last season only Burnley managed it Norwich and Watford were toss. After getting promoted the odds are that two of the promoted clubs will go back down. Different league with everything stacked against a promoted club and you don't have the same number of opportunities to change a dip in form playing 8 games less in the season means you can't afford many bad results like you can at Championship level, when we played Forest in the play off's both clubs were nowhere near the top earlier in the season. You probably wouldn't back against Leicester, Southampton or maybe even Leeds who were a shambles at the end of last season making a swift return and for sure Luton and us will be relegation favourites.

Back
Top Bottom