View from The Gills

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
“In the space of 10 minutes my emotions have gone in full circle cracking day away though”

“The defending for their goals was embarrassing”

“Football is so cruel”

“To be fair we were 2nd best for most of the game “

“I feel sick”

“Weren't we time wasting a fair bit? Hoist by our own petard”

“6 added minutes and Sheffield Utd just scored in the 7th added minute, cheers Ref, appreciated fella . Tosser”

“Horrible way to lose but they had loads of chances”

“How we only lost 2-1 is beyond belief.They hit the post at least twice,we cleared two off the line,and Bywater kept us in the game with some very good saves.It was such a surprise when Norris put us ahead with a great goal and you start to think this could be a very good smash and grab.Then Sheffield Utd equalise not too long after,and once the 6 minutes for injury time went up you just know we will not hold on.Their winner was scored in the 97th minute which Taylor and Hessy were not happy with,but Gillsplayer said we were time wasting a bit so maybe that was the reason why.
It was gutting to lose so late on after defending so well to keep Utd out,but really we should have been well beat. “

“Great match, hard luck lads - we gave it a good try “

“What a bloody shame. Seems like we fought hard and defended with everything we had. There are positives to be taken from this game. Another confidence builder at least. No one is hammering us these days.”

“Gutted but not all bad by the sound of it we battled really hard.”

“what is worrying is why Sheffield Utd had 27 attempts at Goal.it may of been a rout.”

“we fought man for man and can't ask for any more against a side looking at auto promotion.
I know we had 27 or so attempts against us, but I was reading the bbc alerts all afternoon and a large number of those were from 25 yards out.
Well done again to the travelling fans.”

“how can you defend immensely for 82 minutes, go one up and the balls it up in that manner? “

“We'd have been better off not scoring “

“We certainly didn't deserve to win, but to lose in that manner is gutting. I make it beer o'clock. “

“Playing until the northern cnuts win doesn't exactly help. “

“We were VERY unlucky not to get a draw which would have been a good result against a good side. “

“Very unlucky? If we'd got anything from the game it would have been daylight robbery! They hit the post twice, had two cleared off the line and Bywater made a string of excellent saves. We had one decent shot all game and scored from it. We lost because of fatigue. You can't let the other team have the ball for 90 minutes and expect not to run out of steam. “

:)

Walked down BL straight from the match and saw a number of Gillingham fans smiling, I'd have been mortified!!

We could have had 10 today ... Justice done in my book

“6 added minutes and Sheffield Utd just scored in the 7th added minute, cheers Ref, appreciated fella . Tosser”

When will some people learn the rules? Yes, the board went up and said '6' but, in that time, Gillingham made another substitution and the departing player was hardly Usain Bolt as he meandered off. As the announcer always says, 'The will be a minimum of X minutes of extra time.'

I told the referee's assessor that, I wasn't saying it because United had won, but thought the ref. had a cracking game. He strongly agreed.

When will some people learn the rules? Yes, the board went up and said '6' but, in that time, Gillingham made another substitution and the departing player was hardly Usain Bolt as he meandered off. As the announcer always says, 'The will be a minimum of X minutes of extra time.'

I told the referee's assessor that, I wasn't saying it because United had won, but thought the ref. had a cracking game. He strongly agreed.

Some football fans are downright infuriating with stuff. Minimum six minutes (wasn't showed until well into the 91st minute either) and then they made a substitute. At least 97 if not 98.

Another good one is when fans go mad at the lino for not putting his flag up against a player who doesn't touch the ball. The rule about raising the flag when he touches the ball and becomes active has been in place three years now for goodness sake! Just because his flag doesn't go up doesn't mean he hasn't seen the offside!

Mostly quite gracious in defeat. The few Gills fans I've spoke to are amazed we only won 2-1.

Yeah, it's an unusually measured bunch of responses this week. I suspect we'll be back to retards after our next game though.

The only thing that concerns me is the Oppty to make a significant dent in the GD. MKD spanked Crewe 6-1 last weekend and we could have won by that score and more on Satdi. It may bite us in the bum towards the end of the season. You can see that we are the bottom of the group on 16 points as we have a 0 GD and those above us have far greater GDs

Good to see Dingles in relly zone though, eh?

The only thing that concerns me is the Oppty to make a significant dent in the GD. MKD spanked Crewe 6-1 last weekend and we could have won by that score and more on Satdi. It may bite us in the bum towards the end of the season. You can see that we are the bottom of the group on 16 points as we have a 0 GD and those above us have far greater GDs

Good to see Dingles in relly zone though, eh?

Yes, and of course, if we can't match their score against Crewe then we haven't a chance against MK, have we?

Can I reiterate on what I've said a few times, if we continue to pick up points at the average of 2 points per game, unless we have another season where the final points total is stupidly high, as we saw a few seasons ago, a massive GD means nothing, it's points that will get us up.
Yes we should have thrashed the gills, and I'm sure there will be games this season where we smash teams, but mk are not going to hammer teams 6-1 every week, nor will any other team. And ill bet a dollar mk get spanked at least once before the season ends.
Focus on the 3 points and the fact we created so much, when it clicks, as I'm sure it will our GD will be an awful lot better.
Onwards and upwards
UTB

Yes, and of course, if we can't match their score against Crewe then we haven't a chance against MK, have we?
Really no need to be facetious, Pinchy. Clearly I am comparing the GD columns not just one score versus the other. To have a decent GD you need to be beating the weaker teams (whoever they are) in this division by a good 3 clear goals or more. A poor GD is worth at least one point less in the final shake up.

The lads played very well and created a lot of chances but the fact we only scored two in a game where we had 27 attempts tells its own story. Should have been 4-5 up before they had their sniff. We just have to turn possession and dominance into goals - if we don't, all it will do is bite us on the arse later.

Really no need to be facetious, Pinchy. Clearly I am comparing the GD columns not just one score versus the other. To have a decent GD you need to be beating the weaker teams (whoever they are) in this division by a good 3 clear goals or more. A poor GD is worth at least one point less in the final shake up.

The lads played very well and created a lot of chances but the fact we only scored two in a game where we had 27 attempts tells its own story. Should have been 4-5 up before they had their sniff. We just have to turn possession and dominance into goals - if we don't, all it will do is bite us on the arse later.

Aye, but it's a better problem to have than creating very few chances, through not having the ball enough.

Aye, but it's a better problem to have than creating very few chances, through not having the ball enough.

Agree but it is still something that needs to be addressed and that's what I am pointing out - It's not a knock for a knock's sake it's an observation on improvement, which nobody can deny isn't relevant.

We should be punishing teams now in this division - we have had enough time now to get it sorted. I'll be really pissed off if our plans are based solely on the return of the Ched and I am sure plenty of others are too.

Agree but it is still something that needs to be addressed and that's what I am pointing out - It's not a knock for a knock's sake it's an observation on improvement, which nobody can deny isn't relevant.

We should be punishing teams now in this division - we have had enough time now to get it sorted. I'll be really pissed off if our plans are based solely on the return of the Ched and I am sure plenty of others are too.

I don't know for certain, but I don't think the possible return of Evans was factored into any plans regarding the squad and recruitment. There may well be news on further recruitment in that area quite soon ;)

I don't know for certain, but I don't think the possible return of Evans was factored into any plans regarding the squad and recruitment. There may well be news on further recruitment in that area quite soon ;)

Oh, you little tease, SEB ;)

(As long as it's not just Davies from Blackpool - If that't the answer then the wrong question has been asked - too risky re form and injury to suggest 20+ goals a season - and totally contrary to the argument that NC put up for not looking at Hunt from Dirties)

Mind you, if is is the case that Evans hasn't been factored in (and you have to conclude that if you take Phipps words seriously) I am still pretty disappointed with the recruitment to date on the goal scoring front. I think Higgy and McNuts will come good (not prolific, mind) but besides those two we have not done anywhere near enough on this part of the pitch. Glaringly obvious we need a decent pacey striker to make a difference in games and convert those chances we create on the break. They need to be a fox in the box as well - so many times the ball flashes across the opposition area without a Blades shirt being anywhere near it.

Was very pleased with Higgy's near post strike on Satdi, though - that's a proper strikers goal.
... and as for Murphy's weave - pure class - glad to have him back ;)

Oh, you little tease, SEB ;)

(As long as it's not just Davies from Blackpool - If that't the answer then the wrong question has been asked - too risky re form and injury to suggest 20+ goals a season - and totally contrary to the argument that NC put up for not looking at Hunt from Dirties)

Mind you, if is is the case that Evans hasn't been factored in (and you have to conclude that if you take Phipps words seriously) I am still pretty disappointed with the recruitment to date on the goal scoring front. I think Higgy and McNuts will come good (not prolific, mind) but besides those two we have not done anywhere near enough on this part of the pitch. Glaringly obvious we need a decent pacey striker to make a difference in games and convert those chances we create on the break. They need to be a fox in the box as well - so many times the ball flashes across the opposition area without a Blades shirt being anywhere near it.

Was very pleased with Higgy's near post strike on Satdi, though - that's a proper strikers goal.
... and as for Murphy's weave - pure class - glad to have him back ;)

Higdon will chip in through the season and only get better. McNulty is an interesting one, seen him a few times and think there's a proper player in there somewhere. Playing the right way and in the right position to get the best out of him will be key, but his movement is very promising and reminds me of a young Teddy Sheringham. As you say we lack pace in the final 3rd.

A poor GD is worth at least one point less in the final shake up.
I'm sure you'll consider this pedantic, but a poor GD is only effectively a point fewer if you finish level on points with someone else (and if that's first place it won't cost you promotion). But never mind that, in no mathematical world can it possibly have the effect of more than one point fewer!

Though it does remind me of how I sometimes wonder what it might be like if league tables were decided first by goals scored, then by goals conceded, with no points involved.

Though it does remind me of how I sometimes wonder what it might be like if league tables were decided first by goals scored, then by goals conceded, with no points involved.

Interesting! It'd be a completely different game tactically, a goal at 5-0 down would have exactly the same value as a last minute winner.

Interesting! It'd be a completely different game tactically, a goal at 5-0 down would have exactly the same value as a last minute winner.
I'd love to see attacking intent from everybody, no matter how strong the opponent. You'd go to Man City expecting to concede seven (snigger) but you'll commit men forward and go for it in possession cos scoring two or three might help you finish a place or two higher.

I think we should go back to goal average and the result would be kids who could do maths divisions in their heads instead of having to use a calculator.:p

Back
Top Bottom