United win play offs! (yes it has happened)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeFisher

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, United have won a play off match to win promotion. It was back on the 22nd April 1893 when at Nottingham, a neutral venue they beat Accrington Stanley 1-0 to win promotion to the top tier of football for the very first time.

Watched by a crowd of 6,000 over twice the season’s average attendance they saw Jack Drummond take a solo run down the left wing and then hammer in a ferocious shot. Described by Blades legend “Nudger” Needham as the best goal he ever saw.

Now who's going to be our Jack Drummond?

Excellent research.

I don't care who it is. Just hope its a Nottingham Forest type tie rather than a Bristol City type!

• Banned
Bleeding hell we actually scored at a neutral venue! :D

Yeah I liked that one! Details in Denis Clareborough's "Sheffield United Football Club, The first 100 years".
The other gem was that the preceding year we were denied application to the First division on a spurious vote (Tevez preceded). Apparently we came 6th with 5 votes, (Wednesday top with 10 - the massive at it from day one eh?) but allegedly we actually got 7 and when the club secretary asked to see the voting papers was told, "they've been burnt!"

So you see this so called negative trait is actually the real Blades way. We have been robbed since time immemorial (well not quite as that was about 6 - 8 centuries before according to your point of view as Dazza/Pinchy will testify).

Doesn't mean we should expect to lose, but that usually the fates are against us.

Contrary to popular belief, United have won a play off match to win promotion. It was back on the 22nd April 1893 when at Nottingham, a neutral venue they beat Accrington Stanley 1-0 to win promotion to the top tier of football for the very first time.

So what you're saying is that rather than us always be appalling in the playoffs, we instead have to go back nearly 120 years to the last time we were successful in them.

I feel better already!

Thing is BF, the years have got me to a point where I do expect us to lose any important games. If there's bad luck out there, it'll always fall from a great height on bdtbl. No point getting all negative and vindictive before the event. There's always that bleeding annoying little voice saying 'one day we'll do it!'

• Banned
So what you're saying is that rather than us always be appalling in the playoffs, we instead have to go back nearly 120 years to the last time we were successful in them.

I feel better already!

Yep, known as test matches then. Small Heath aka Birmingham finished top but lost out to Newton Heath aka ManUre in a replay of a play off 5-2.

Back
Top Bottom