United v Chesterfield 1980

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Darren

Reaction score
Here's some video footage from our 1-1 draw with Chesterfield in the cup in the December 1980 and our subsequent 0-1 defeat in the replay which I have never seen before.

I was at the first game (aged 14 - where does the time go!) and remember well Birch's last minute "dive" to earn a pen for Chesterfield. However, looking a the footage now, it does look like a pen to me. I also recall Birch's goading of the kop after he scored the pen, which would probably get him sent off now....

Danny Wilson will have been playing in both games for Chesterfield (i wasnt at the first game as I was playing football but I remember going to the replay and that Wilson was playing in that match (he and Alan Birch were the two chesterfield players that i had feared)). Chesterfield's number two (Colin Tartt, I think) took the piss out of John McPhail's protest at the penalty decision. I remember at the replay wondering why Steve Neville's goal was ruled out for offside and from the clipping, it still looks a good goal to me

i remember both games, i too was 14.
in the return leg as we were walking up to saltergate from the train station, several thousand blades singing, police dogs were unleashed and in a group of about 3,000 blades i was bitten by a police dog...police brutality :)
i lked the "recreation ground" it was a good old fashioned ground with character.

MunXy

A ball juggling exercise being judged to be ungentlemanly conduct. Wtf?

And what's with the bloke just wandering across the pitch?

Interesting to see footage like that from before my time.

My first ever visit to The Lane, aged 10.
I'd actually gone to cheer on Town, but stood in the John Street stand and something happened to me that day. I've followed The Blades ever since. Still got the program. The rest, as they say, is history!!

I'd actually gone to cheer on Town, but stood in the John Street stand and something happened to me that day. I've followed The Blades ever since. Still got the program. The rest, as they say, is history!!
heh.. mental or what:D

Just think Tidza in 1997 you could have had your own special "Blade moment" when the Ref conned the Spireites out of a Wembley FA cup final .

I remember it well, last minute Alan "twat" Birch penalty. I hate that B******d!!!!

Back
Top Bottom