United Season Review & School Report 20-21 - Part Six Midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
2020/21 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

*Note - this was written before the Jokanovic appointment – I have tried to update in sections but apologies if it refer to us not having a manager yet in sections!

Rest of week will be posted as below

Part 6 Midfield

Part 7 Attack

Part 8 Final awards / Conclusions

Midfielders

Oliver Norwood
After Brighton and Fulham opted that he would not be able to cope at the highest level, Wilder had every faith he would be fine and so it proved as he started every game and had a really good season. He played pretty well and was a key man and his passing and ability to dictate the tempo in games even versus bigger teams/more illustrious opponents was a big part of us being near the top of the league for long periods.

After lockdown, he was a player like a few others that had a drop off and ended up being a real argument whether newcomer Berge would take his place as he may be better in that position than the right side where he had played. The whole team did seem to struggle with the intensity and however they had spent time off (either doing too much or not enough) fitness wise we/he never really got to the level needed.

As the new season started, this theme continued. It was like we had not had time to reset or look at this aspect of the game and so many players came in either under cooked or not fit. Norwood was a casing point as players ran off him, he seemed at full stretch and we had no control of midfield – an area we had been fine in last year with the three main midfielders all being excellent.

He was taken out of the team quite early and was in and out but when he did get recalled he did not do enough to convince. There were a number of poor games where he kept giving the ball away and his tackling and inability to keep up with fitter/quicker midfielders really hampered us. The games around Xmas his game hit a particularly low point in terms of production or lack of it in games v Everton and Burnley. The mistakes then started to creep in as his slowness to react and give aways cost us goals. Watching him wave his hands as Palace robbed him and broke and scored was a symbol of his season sadly.

He had a bit of a spell in wins v Newcastle and Man Utd – he was superb in this game and carried this on at Man City. He could not maintain it though and there were a number of pathetic showings where the midfield were invisible but worse were giving away the ball that often it seemed like Ramsdale was constantly having to make saves or having shots reigning in. He did become a regular and we saw some ‘ok’ games to close the season but we never controlled midfield at all and so many games the other midfielders were better. Players just ran off him, he saw little of the ball and when he had set plays he wasted many of them. We saw flashes in odd games (Everton) to end the season but mostly it continued to be ineffective displays. His showing at Newcastle was horrific where he could not keep the ball on the pitch and was just quite lacklustre generally to end the season with more bad stuff than good stuff.

We had seen daft fouls and him diving in somewhat last season but we saw much more of this. He often went to floor or would just grab/foul his man. He became quite dirty and cynical. We did not see anywhere near enough of the ball and as Fleck/Lundstram and even Berge at times struggled with the intensity, he was not really a factor. He literally had seemingly dropped off a cliff with his performances both on and off the ball being just not good enough at this level. His set plays for the most part were terrible too.

Really sad to see such a sudden decline. Like with Stevens it came out of nowhere. Norwood has never been that quick or strong but had enough about him positionally and fitness wise to compensate but his flaws were magnified hugely this season and we maybe saw why teams did not carry on with him when they went up. The oddest thing was that he had been fine until the lockdown and had been competent to good for the eight months of the previous season. Whether it was confidence or what it was, I am not really sure but everything started to unravel. The other midfielders were poor, the strikers had no impact and the defence was not as solid but I felt the midfield was our weakest area. We just seemed so unfit, slow and weak. So, the rare times he/we had the ball we had to make use of it. We did not and just invited pressure. We had kept the ball with sense and thought the previous campaign but became almost a long ball team and he and others were just helping the ball on rather than trusting each other to keep it and play little triangles.

As I have done with Ampadu, he seems to be another that has made lots of direct mistakes that have led to goals. I am not scapegoating (maybe I am!) but that is odd for a midfielder and kind of sums up his season when you can recall a number of goals coming due to his poor touch/pass. Maybe he was unlucky as teams seemed to capitalise on lots of errors but there were more times than below, he did this and we got away with it.

Palace (A) - First goal - tackled it into the path of the scorer

Palace (A) - Second goal - Let Eze go through him - joint one with Norwood *

Spurs (H) - Second goal - miscontrol led to Kane getting it and scoring

Spurs (H) - Third goal - Just let ball run away from him

West Brom (H) - Passed it straight to them led to a break and a goal

West Ham (A) - Passed it straight to them led to a break and a pen

Chelsea (A) Own goal

Not sure where we go. A lot feel he will be fine next season and he might be but then we go up (we hope) then what? Sadly, the evidence over the 2 seasons (yes, he did well to start but could not maintain it like top players do) is he is not up the highest level and we would have to replace him. Maybe we keep him and look to bring in others but again much depends on the style. I maintain despite the likes of him and Fleck being great in the league below before and that they should do better, that we will still get overrun and struggle in this area if they perform how they have. I know h will get the ball more but even his passing when under no pressure was off and teams will press him more than they did the last time we were down here. I am not convinced what we achieve by having him in the central of midfield regularly. He has had a really poor season and whilst we cannot change the whole team, we need a natural churn of players. I personally think whilst he will remain (has 2 years left on his contract and he has just turned 30, so maybe the extension on reflection was a really poor move – hindsight a fabulous thing!) in the squad, I would be looking in a different direction. We need some legs, athleticism and something different. We have loved watching the likes of him, Fleck, Duffy (and even Lundstram) etc for 3 seasons but I just think it is not working now and we need to look at evolving how we play and maybe approach things tactically. Jokanovic is someone that has signed him before and know how he works but then did not retain him when Fulham went up. Be interesting what happens with him in that regard as he is 3 years older than when he last worked with him too. I understand some will pan this opinion and say we should just throw him and Fleck, Stevens, McBurnie out there as they were fine before and will be again. I feel a year of losing and confidence being eroded means we need to change more than the odd player personally. I think he may remain but will not be a regular.

Grade F+ (Last season B+)

John Fleck
Before the first lockdown I would have been hard pressed whether to pick Fleck or Basham as our player of the season. He had been brilliant for us and at times been sensational. I recall the Villa game at home and Man City away. The final game I went to, he scored that great leveller at Arsenal and there were many games he was dictating midfield with his penetrating runs, energy and box to box displays. He was superb and added goals t his repertoire. Like many others, we were not sure he would have the pace/stamina and consistency to excel at the higher level, but along with the rest he showed he was fine. He was one of our best players in a side going for Europe and it was a shock he was not a regular for an awful Scotland team.

Fleck has always been slow to get going after breaks (pre season or international) so you worried the lockdown would hinder him and so it proved. He never seemed fit and he did have a number of niggling injuries and to this day I am not sure he is still right with reports of an ongoing back issue which he confirmed this season.

He started really slowly struggling in the opening games and then the aforementioned injury issues saw him taken out of the side for a period. He came back against West Ham but the team continued to struggle and he just looked miles off the player he was. Gone were the bursting runs, dribbles, link ups and goal threats. He looked so tentative and was not helped by Stevens bad form and O’Connell being out. The whole midfield saw less of the ball than the opponents every week and he just looked a different player. He could not get going at all and we did not create anything, did not protect the defence and barely even competitive in this area. Teams just ran though us as we got physically swarmed all over and seemed like we were stuck in quick sand. We went from a midfield doing really well to now being completely out matched every week.

He did get back to some form finally as Wilder joked his brother ‘Jimmy Fleck’ had been playing instead of John. I thought in some of the wins against Newcastle, Man Utd and West Brom he was very good and more like the Fleck of old. He was superb at Old Trafford and played well at the Etihad a few days later and nearly scored a leveller. He was not really creating goals or having the same attacking threat and barely had an effort on goal all season (after the one that hit the post v Wolves to the City effort). The burst of good form was not maintained for him or the team. He dropped off again and I thought just before Wilder left to just after he put in some shambolic and anonymous performances. Under Heckingbottom he did show some improvements in some games and we saw a few glimpses but it was never consistently maintained in games or over a run of games. He also committed some dirty, cynical fouls including a horrific stamp at Spurs he was lucky to get away with. Terrible v Palace with more lazy, half-hearted play and struggling to even keep up with play at times. Then at Everton more committed and better with and without the ball but this was a rare decent outing. He ended up with more slow and very ordinary performances to finish the season.

Many focused-on Norwood and Lundstram as the issue in midfield. I love Fleck but felt he was as culpable most of the season. He was just not in games and when he got it, he played it safe or ran into trouble or got outmuscled. Gone was that confidence, bustling midfielder who ran away from opponents, could tackle and press and do things both defensively and attacking wise. It was sad to see a player who had been sensational look a shadow of himself. He was ironically in and around the Scotland squad now after being overlooked when he played so well but rarely used and even for the National Team he did not convince.

He turns 30 (like Norwood just has) soon and his career is another at a crossroads. He deservedly got a new contract but you wonder whether many players’ appetite now they got to the top level and got bigger deals is still there. I never thought I would question the desire and application of this group but he is another that has seemingly just tossed it off since he got his new contract. Our midfield has been dire all season and he has featured most weeks. A year ago, if a team had offered 15-20 million, fans would have said not to sell him as he had been brilliant. Now if we got a bid of 1.5-2 million, we’d snatch the other teams hands off. He has declined so rapidly and been so poor for such a long period now. At the top level he has been worse for a longer period than he was good and another that is just not quick enough strong enough or consistent enough to play at the top level. I thought he was but top players maintain it for longer than 4 or 5 months and do it for 4 or 5 years. He has not shown he can do that.

It is hard as a fair few fans think he deserves a chance to come back and with under contract for a further 2 seasons not sure United will move on Lundstram (going anyway), Berge, Norwood and Fleck. The former two will almost certainly depart so changing the whole midfield might be hard but not sure any have done enough to say I should be starting next season. If he moved on, I would not be that bothered and another that may need a fresh start. I maybe am in the camp of giving him the summer and the opening to the season to see if he can get back to any kind of form but as I say he traditionally starts slow and I am not sure he is the type of player that will go away and put in the hard yards to get really fit. I do not get the impression he takes the game as serious as he should do in order to stay at the top. That may seem harsh but conditioning wise he never gives himself a chance and the fact he is so slow to get back to any form is surely a major flaw in his game. He played fantastic for a year but has not shown the commitment or consistency to show he is a top-level player sadly.

Another that I would be surprised if he is still here in a year’s time. Next summer he would only have a year left on his contract and like with Norwood, these players are not going to improve now. I just feel he has been brilliant for United but has not gone on to the be the top-level Premier League player he probably could have been. It remains to be seen whether O’Connell, Baldock, Egan etc (being younger) can do that but for Fleck sadly his chance has probably gone. Like most the damage of his performances and United’s horrific season may be more far reaching than you would imagine but I see his career declining from this point without a serious attitude/fitness change.

Grade E (Last season A-)

John Lundstram To be far Lundstram had 2 pretty undistinguished seasons as a Blade in the Championship. He did not play much and when he did, he did not stand out and was never a regular or close to it really as Duffy, Fleck and Norwood were in command of the slots. When we went up even though Duffy went, Freeman came in and you did not think he would be involved. I thought we may move him on but he remained and did ok in preseason and the fact Wilder was playing a flat three in midfield meant he surprisingly started the season and was our best player at Bournemouth and then scored the winner v Palace. He really did shock Blades with some really good performances early season and was deservedly in the side. I recall a number of really good games and moments, such as the assist at Everton and two goal salvo v Burnley. I remember a second half against Villa at home where he seemed to be everywhere and suddenly had strength, better pace than I thought and looked a good midfielder. Fantasy players around the world saluted ‘Lord Lundstram’ as he became the unexpected story of United’s fantastic start. . Those first 4-5 months, he was excellent. It was literally like a different player to the one we saw before. He was strong, mobile and good with the ball in lots of situations – we had seen some of his long passing but he looked like someone who was a bit of an all-rounder. He seemed fit and strong and not the bit part slow, weak passenger we had seen before.

Around Xmas talk of extending his contract or failing to agree anything started to emerge and it was clear his new found success and Lundstram and his agent feeling he could get better than what United were offering. Sander Berge then came in and as his form trailed off post Xmas, he lost his place. Not sure Berge was that great really and then of course Lunny came off the bench and scored the winner v Bournemouth and his celebration seemed a bit petulant. He was in and out just before and after lockdown and like the rest of the team, felt he really dropped off. The contract remained on the table as we began the next season but he still seemed set to leave and it was a discussion if United could get a fee for him or just see out his deal. It seemed the latter may happen but he did start the opening games but his error in the lead up to the 2nd minute goal v Wolves set the scene for his season. He missed a penalty against Villa but then I thought he did ok in some games. I had him as a better performer than Fleck and Norwood. He then was out of team as United tried different things but not sure we were that much better when he was out. He was sent off at Brighton (harsh maybe) but then he did ok in some of the wins. I do not think he was close to our worst player or even being in the list of the worst 3 or 4 but the fact he wanted to move on meant he wrongly became seen as the issue. He was not playing great but nor was anyone else. Yet, fan felt Wilder should not be picking him. I kind of got this but we had no one else really as the competition in midfield was nil, especially with Ampadu needed in midfield and Berge injured.

He somehow continued to keep getting picked and his performances got worse when Heckingbottom took over. The caretaker cited his running and stats being ok. My naked eye saw someone hiding, not putting much effort in and constantly giving the ball away. I do not see what anyone got out of him continuing to get picked. Even he was probably not helping his reputation or any potential move really. He continued the same half arsed attitude and jobbing around in games and contributed little in a positive manner. The way even Ampadu ran past him at Leeds after he lost it and then the give-away against Arsenal that cost us a goal directly stand out as particularly poor moments. He was finally dropped for the game at Wolves to the relief of many fans who saw his selection as a symbol of United’s white flag mentality. He came back and was beaten and did not run back in the Palace second goal at home. Not sure why he was given any minutes at this stage?

A player that ended up being a bit of a hate figure as the season went on and came towards the end. I actually think the fact he became such a target was over the top. He should not have been playing and sure it looked like he did not give a toss but I am not sure Fleck and Norwood gave any more really in performances I saw. They also were as abject and many others were seemingly going through the motions – these were on long contracts and probably much bigger wages. Yet as Lundstram did not get offered a deal like these (maybe did not deserve it on 3 or 4 months of good form) he became a huge target. I thought fans were burying their heads in the sand if the felt he was the major issue. There was a lot more wrong with the team, players, tactics than just him. Still, I understand the frustration with him wanting out. Where he ends up, I do not know? He was linked with Rangers (Gerrard link with them both being from Liverpool) and also West Ham, Burnley and Newcastle. I would be surprised if any of those signed him. He has not done anywhere close to enough to prove he can play in the top level. Maybe he would be ok in the SPL but I see him being a mid to lower Championship player at best and I would not be shocked if he is in League One in 2-3 years after his next deal (don’t blame him for trying to get the best deal he can now as will not get a contract like his next once again no matter what it is) and his career follows the same trajectory as Duffy and Coutts. A player that will probably harshly always be vilified. Not sure he did much in his Blades career but Wilder/Heckingbottom kept picking him and did not reinforce the midfield so we did not have to play him. It was ridiculous we ended up with three fit midfielders in a Premier League squad of 25 when we start three midfielders!

Grade E- (Last season B)

Sander Berge After the superb season, United then signing a player that had been linked supposedly with much bigger clubs was seen as another step in us really establishing ourselves at the top table of English football. His interviews showed he seemed a really intelligent and humble lad and it was then we realised what a giant he was (6’5’’). He was put straight in the side at Palace amidst much fanfare amongst Blades fans with Norwegian flags in the away end and even a song, set to ‘She’s Electric!’ by Oasis. He was decent if not spectacular that first day as we won. The ovation and his smile at the end as the Blades sang the chant was a great moment. After this we beat Bournemouth but he was at fault for the first goal we conceded but at least contributed to the leveller but struggled a bit and his replacement Lundstram scored the winner. I felt he struggled at home to Brighton and then in the cup at Reading played in the Norwood role for a period; as many felt his wide right of midfield was not his position and he was being ‘shoe horned’ in somewhat. Wilder clearly was going to play him as he had tracked him for so long but he did struggle to begin with and was dropped for the Norwich game.

The lockdown was probably mixed for him as he was away from him and had only just signed but at least would give him chance to get really fit and catch up with the others but when we came back, he struggled in the first few games, as did the whole team. A lot were very critical wondering what he offered as he was quite slow, did not do much rather than the basic pass and would not take initiative He also looked weak and was poor in the air for a big guy. He played much better v Arsenal and then against Spurs was excellent and carried on with some decent performances against Wolves and also Chelsea. He struggled in the next two and seemed to look tired and could not push on as United’s season petered out a bit. Showed flashes in the last game but a few big months ahead to get himself up the speed of this level. Sadly, we did not have a very long post season which not sure would have helped. I felt overall he had been ok and shown glimpses but lacked consistency and I wanted to see more. Still, he had shown signs and as a young player we were excited to watch him develop.

He actually did not start in the first game as Lundstram made an error that led to a goal but Berge was put in for the Villa game. He remained in the side with Fleck injured and then Norwood off form. He actually played ok in a few of the games and was one of our bright spots and I thought against Liverpool (scored a penalty) and Man City he played well and showed his strength and ability on the ball when he could glide past opponents. He then set up a goal at Chelsea but I thought his form started to drop off a bit as United continued to struggle with no consistency of form and this was matched by us changing the midfield weekly. He was at fault for the goal that lost the game at West Brom and then I thought we looked quite passive in midfield for a series of games. He would show bits and pieces and occasionally he would do something and you would think ‘Wow’ he looks so strong and talented. I did feel again it was only in cameos though and rarely did he completely take over games. 1 goal and 1 assist say it all.

Many people say we missed him when he got injured after he took what seemed a fairly innocuous knock that turned out to be a serious torn hamstring injury keeping him out for most of the season. However, we had only picked up one point from the 12 games he started. He was one of our better performers in these games and it did not help that Fleck and Norwood dropped off so much. Some have said that his signing upset the apple cart (Lundstram) and he does not suit us or the English game. I am not sure about that. The three that did so well last season had a long run of games where they were second best to opponents.

He was back in training at the end of the season and came on at Spurs and did nothing really and played more v Palace but again did not affect the game much save for one decent run.

I think Berge is a decent player who can go on and be a very good one. He still had a long way to go for me. I do not see him remaining with us in the Championship. He certainly did not come here for that and his country will want to see him playing in a top league wherever that is. I am still not convinced he has the mobility and aggression to make it in England but I might be wrong. We have seen Man City and Liverpool supposedly linked but he would go there and be a squad player you would think. Maybe surrounded by better players he would be ok and would get away with only doing bits and pieces but I still maintain one or two runs or moments in a game is not enough even for the top teams. He does have all the attributes to be a fine player (size, skill, power, decent on the ball) so maybe he will go on and be fantastic. Hopefully if/when he does move on, we can get what we paid and maybe a fair bit more and maybe get it to some kind of auction if a few come in.

Grade C (Last season C)

Ben Osborn
Seemed a sensible signing and at just under 3 million pounds (1.5 million up front) not that expensive for someone who could come in and play a few positions. I do not think we ever thought he would be a regular but he always seemed a decent lad (some good stuff on social media) who did not take himself too seriously off the field but always played his heart out on the pitch. His first season at the Lane he was mostly a sub coming on as we closed out games in mainly left midfield and I recall him doing well at Brighton in a strong team performance. He remained only a bit part player in the league but came on in wins v Palace and Norwich. Indeed, v Norwich he was excellent in the second half. After the restart we had injuries but remained on the bench till Fleck was struggling and he got his first start against Spurs and was excellent. He was all energy winning tackles, making interceptions and did well when he had the ball. He gave us some enthusiasm and industry we lacked in the games since the restart. He had a run of really good games v Burnley, Wolves and then Chelsea where was involved in goals too but struggled in the final few games at Leicester and v Everton as the team struggled again and did not play the final game.

This season he began on the bench but came on at Villa and then played against Leeds in midfield. I thought he struggled at Arsenal but did well at Anfield but then after a poor showing at home to Man City was out of the side for a while. He always seemed a bit part player but came back against Everton/Burnley/Palace but again the side struggled and he did not make much of an impression. Always worked hard but lacked quality to impact games in midfield and when left wing back sometimes he would switch off.

He played really well in the Cup at Bristol Rovers with some superb crosses and then kept his place and played well against Newcastle but I think he too got an injury like many of the rest and was not even on the bench for a while. Came back into the line-up at West Ham but was not great and was did not start I think till Chelsea in the Cup where he was targeted in a left-wing back role and they had all sort of joy against him. He did better in the second half and then was one of our better performers at Leeds and scored his first goal. He continued to do his best in games to the end of the season even having to be shifted around position wise and ended up in an odd number 10 role which surely, he lacks the quality on the ball to be a real threat? Not sure he has the quality skill wise at the top level and physically gets over matched at times but always gives his all. He continued to do this and was one of the better players in the run in in terms of effort but watching him flailing around to stop the likes of Bale and Pepe in games showed that he just was not up to it this level athletically and ability wise. Performed well at Everton in a committed and hard working off the ball performance and generally finished the season busy and never hiding in a more attacking role and he never hid. I like the lad and is handy squad player to have around.

Seems a really nice lad and quite intelligent and his interests in music/literature/politics seem quite different to most other players! Will be in and around the squad next year and with doubts over the form and fitness of Stevens and Fleck he may play more than we think. I do not see him as starter but as I say a useful lad to have around.

Grade C- (Last season B)

The rest

Ismael Coulibaly
Only 20 (21 on Christmas Day!), the 6 footed, powerful midfielder is a prospect that seems to be intriguing not only Blades fans but some other clubs around the world if rumours are to be believed linking Serie A clubs with him in recent times! Some sources said United turned down a 10-million-pound bid from AC Milan?! Originally from Mali, he was spotted playing youth football over there and signed by Norwegian side, Sarpsborg 08 at only 19 years of age. He had only played 27 games either side of two seasons when the Blades signed him in September, 2020. It is unclear how much he actually cost. Some sites have it close to 2 million and it seems fairly certain it was a 6-figure fee. It was a surprise as outside of the Berge signing (who was more well-known) United had not really ventured outside the UK apart from the two punts on Zivkovic and Retsos that did not really come off.

Apparently, Galatasaray and Club Brugge were both linked with him but he wanted to play in the Premier League and saw this move as a chance to do that, agreeing to be loaned out to the Blades sister club Beerschot firstly before he could play for the Blades. It seemed he needed to spent some time in Belgium before he would be eligible for a work permit but even now there is uncertainty if he can come over. His first season in the Juniper League he began really well as the newly promoted season had a really good start and were the surprise package of the league and were right near the top for a period. In a game against Anderlecht late December, he was up against the jewel of Belgium football Albert-Mboyo Sambi Lokonga, who is currently on the radar of Monaco, Barcelona and Man City with a fee of £35m quoted, Coulibaly supposedly dominated his opposite number in a 1-on-1 battle between the pair.

He did not maintain his form as the side dropped off but was still seen as a player with great potential and one that seemingly offered characteristics that the current midfield at the Lane did not offer in box-to-box play, goalscoring threat and some power in the engine room. He ended up out of the side and a long way from the talent the so-called top teams were allegedly courting and barely played till the season end.

He finished the season appearing in 22 games and scoring 5 games but has not started since early March.

I have only seen clips so cannot confirm whether he would even be ready for the 2nd tier over here and as Berge showed, the pace of the Belgian league is infinitely slower than in England. Reports have stated that More clubs are expected to show interest during the summer, but the plan is for the club to try and hold on to their exciting talent for at least another season before a decision on his future is made. In recent days Galatasaray were linked with him for around 12.5 million.

The reports are that he will stay in Belgium during pre-season and not link-up with United according to some sources. It is thought that his visa requirements, which changed as a result of Britain coming out of the EU, can now be met though. So, he could be here for the 21-22 season if we wanted but if United do not go up then we may never see him play for us if bigger clubs continue to show interest. I think Coulibaly is someone we should not be factoring in really unless it is as an asset, we can make a significant profit on.

Luke Freeman
A player that had always impressed Blades going back to his Stevenage days. He had done ok at Bristol City but lost his way a bit as he admitted himself before finding a real resurgence at QPR where he was indisputably the main man and best player in 2018-19. With the uncertainty over Mark Duffy, Wilder obviously felt he could come in and be that number 10/Duffy role type player. He signed him for around 5 million pounds and at that time he was our record signing and our first really significant buy in preparation for the Premier League. Surprisingly Wilder hanged the formation going to a more orthodox 3 and Lundstram came in and did well. Freeman played ok against Palace and set up the winner, ironically for Lundstram but as soon as Fleck came back from injury, he was mostly on the bench. He played a bit after lockdown. I always thought he was ok but never felt he really took his chance to say he was better than the current 3 and with Berge and then Osborn around, the way United were playing meant it was hard for him possibly to ever be more than the occasional sub. I also thought he was never fully in shape fitness wise and this did not help when United had to win battles and the loose stuff in midfield and would not see as much of the ball. I did think with us failing to bring in Swift and any other midfielders he may get an opportunity so was shocked he was allowed to go without a replacement coming in either. It seemed he may be used as a makeweight for Cash coming the other way and when he went to Villa instead and Freeman went on loan, it seemed off. We will have got a loan fee and it was reported Forest had the option to make it permanent but with him only having a year after this season you wondered whichever way it went if he would ever come back to the Lane.

Forest had a disastrous start and ended up changing their manager and Freeman never fully convinced. Him not standing out even in a struggling side at Championship level was a concern and it seemed whenever I saw him, he seemed to be even more out of shape. Forest fans confirmed this saying he was not mobile enough to get up and down the field. Forest signed other flair players such as Krovinovic and Knockaert (they already had Ameobi) who were of a similar type and he was rarely used. He picked up a number of injuries also. He did play a bit more towards the end of the season but rarely lasted 90 minutes and was not able to put together a run of starts or consistent performances seemingly. He ended up back on the bench for many games towards the end of the season and then Hughton said he had an injury and was finished for the season. Most Forest fans were unequivocal in their opinion that they did not want to sign him. If they do have an option and it is with Forest, then you would think they will move on from him. If so, he comes back to the Lane with a year left.

I suppose we have a new manager but I do not really see much of a future for him here. He should think the current midfield have not really impressed – there is a chance but seeing his physique and work rate in Forest games means he will have to come back super hungry and leaner or we will have another slow, unfit midfielder to add to the ones we already have. He is still only 29 and should be entering his peak (seems to have been around forever) but he faces a bit of an uncertain future. I do wonder if a move back to the capital or down South to someone like QPR again or Wycombe/Luton where he can be more of the main man again might suit him more. He has not really taken the chances at the two biggest clubs he will have played for (outside of Arsenal where he was only a kid) at the age where he should be showing his best form.

Regan Slater
The Gleadless born Slater is a Blade through and through. Seems all his family are huge fans and when he came through at 17 and impressed in that cup tie at Ipswich in 17-18 and had shown glimpses of being tough tackling and decent on the ball. Wilder always seemed a fan. He was given the chance to go out on loan and spent time with Carlisle in 18-19 and played a fair bit but his form was up and down. He went on loan again in 19-20 to Scunthorpe but after scoring a wonder goal in a pre-season debut, he struggled to hold down a place again with a team struggling. It seemed his future with the Blades was uncertain but then due to injuries and various other circumstances, Slater ended up playing in some of the pre-season games before last season started in an unfamiliar wing back role. It seemed his play had impressed Grant McCann who took him on loan at Hull which was maybe a surprise after he struggled in League Two. At Hull he was never a regular and mostly used from the bench as Hull were doing very well but had some decent cameos and maybe restored his reputation a bit and towards the end seemed to play more and got back in the team and supposedly had some decent performance seemingly as Hull got promoted/won the league. He will be disappointed that he has not played more the last 2 seasons though overall despite the late run of games. He is out of contract. I am not sure United will give him another deal as he has not really quite gone on from the promise he showed. Maybe Hull might give him a deal but as they are back at the Championship, they may feel they need to add more experience/quality and he may have to find a club in League 1 or 2. He needs to play regularly wherever he goes. Hull seemed interested and then Preston were rumoured too recently.

Iliman Ndiaye
Ndiaye was the one post Xmas who seemed to be involved the most in the first team squad out of al the youngsters. Hackford was the first to come on but Ndiaye was continually on the bench and eventually came on in difficult circumstances at Leicester. Seen as a really good prospect and has another year left at the Lane but his rise may see them offer him a new deal possibly – I saw some talks we were looking at getting him a new contract. He is now 21 so not a kid really either so a big season coming up. Maybe needs a loan with a league club? He has played a lot for the u23’s and been the leading scorer at this level.

Frankie Maguire
A 17-year-old midfielder that has come through the ranks. He was pushed into the first team squad which was maybe more of a surprise than the other young lads as Hackford had a lot of attention for the last year and the others had been regulars at u23 level.

Zak Brunt This year he was involved with the first team after he signed a pro contract which was a reward for his hard work. He made the bench in the cup at Burnley and he then continued to impress for the u23’s with a number of assists and goals. He was back in and around the first team squad and was on the bench a fair bit. Seems to be technically good and plays midfield but also can do a job up top too. He had signed a one-year pro deal last year so I would expect we may extend that with a bigger deal now?

Next season

An area that was excellent for consecutive season, completely fell apart as we got overrun, outworked, overpowered and completely dominated. We had no strength in depth at all. Berge began ok but he was not consistent and not really the dominant player you would want for the money we paid. He got injured but we had not won a game when he was in the team. Still, we had Fleck, Norwood and Lundstram who did so well and Osborn in reserve so we would be ok? Right? All three of the mainstays had dropped off at the end of the previous season and this carried on to the extent they fell off a cliff. Fleck was seemingly never fit and Norwood was woeful at times. Lundstram did ok in some early games and was not as bad as many made out but he trailed off and he became as bad as the rest and a figure of hate for many fans due to not wanting to stay. We got outplayed in this area as our players were hopeless most games. Slow and weak off the ball and on it we just gave it away. Set plays were atrocious. They never scored any goals or set up any on the whole. We were wretched. Osborn did his best but lacks quality if not effort. Freeman went on loan but could not even convince at Forest and same for Slater at Hull – although did ok at the end of the season. In short, this area has gone from being solid with many looking bona fide Premier League performers to us individually and collectively being completely out of our depth.

Now, I expect Berge to move on as long as we get our money back (hopefully a bit more). I am not sure he will ever go on and be the dominant player some say. He is talented but inconsistent and has the heart of a pea and needs to impose himself in games not just the odd run every 2 or 3 games. I am not that sad he will move on at all. As for the rest Lundstram will also go mercifully. Osborn will remain as a squad player but whether we keep the formation or change it, we have major holes. I am not sure Fleck and Norwood due to age and regression are even the short-term future, let alone long term. Both have fallen off so badly that I would be upset if we moved on. Fleck, I still have some hope he can get properly fit and regain some form but does not seem to take the game serious enough. Norwood’s lack of pace means if he is not passing well or controlling games, he is pointless. I expect both to be more influential at a lower level but sadly still think we will get overrun at times even at a lower level and get run through. We need some aggression, pace, goals and box to box players who can actually run up and down and contribute at both ends. Mot midfielders who are stagnant and stationery and do not protect the defence, get us up the field, penetrate or get into the box. They are the antithesis of what I would want to see from a midfielder after seasons past giving us everything and more we would want! We need to sign 2 or 3 players in this area. Freeman is not the answer and like Fleck, his conditioning and fitness is a major issue. He may remain but do not expect him to feature unless he loses weight and actually can remain fit. Slater is one they may keep but not a regular at Hull means I am not sure he will be counted upon here so equally can see him leaving too. In an ideal situation, Fleck gets back to form and we sign a few new players in here and have Osborn and maybe Brunt, Nidaye, Maguire as some lads who can come in occasionally too but these lads probably need a loan or some pro experience first. It is certainly an area that needs quite a lot of change I feel. I will be very disappointed if we trot out Fleck, Norwood and Osborn to start the season as it is not a long term plan and they have not done enough to deserve to start. We need to evolve and look to a different way of playing so we cannot concede as many, score more and keep the ball more. The current lads, albeit at a high level, have done none of these things. Be interesting if he goes for someone like Cairney he had at Fulham, a player that has not quite gone on to do what I thought he might.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires) Red this year – Orange next year - Green longer contract –

Midfielders

John Lundstram Out of contract (2021)

Regan Slater Out of contract – extra year option (2021 or 2022?)

Ben Osborn 1 year (2022)

Luke Freeman 1 year (2022)

Ollie Norwood 2 years (2023)

John Fleck 2 years (2023)

Ismael Coulibaly 2 years (2023)

Sander Berge 3 years (2024)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season (contracts unknown)

Zak Brunt

Iliman Ndiaye

My 2 p.

Norwood is the biggest singular reason we have capitulated so spectacularly.

Not the only reason. Clearly. But in such a critical position on the pitch based on how we set up, he has been found out and found wanting all too regularly.

Slav likes him it would appear, and so you would have to think he will once again be centric to plans in the championship.

I do suspect this might be a big mistake. Hope I’m wrong 😀.

UTB.

Cheers for all of these Deadbat

I think it's worth mentioning that Fleck and Norwood may have been fine as 2 in midfield in the promotion season but they basically had either Lunny or Duffy supporting them and both wingbacks largely played in the midfield area. So, more 5 than 2. I can't see them being physically competitive, head to head, with many midfields.

My 2 p.

Norwood is the biggest singular reason we have capitulated so spectacularly.

Not the only reason. Clearly. But in such a critical position on the pitch based on how we set up, he has been found out and found wanting all too regularly.

You could be right of course. But I don’t think it’s Norwood that has changed - it was the set up of the team.

In the case where we were set up to attack and get players forward (e.g. the cup games, Newcastle home, West Brom home and a couple towards the end under Heckingbottom), Norwood did well. In the games where we were set up to try for for a 0-0 (e.g. all the other games), Norwood was poor. In short, he does well when we’re geared up for possession and getting players forward, but badly when we cede possession and sit back. Obviously there’s some degree of circular argument (maybe we cede possession because he’s playing badly), but I’m convinced that it’s the set up.

This probably explains his success in teams getting promoted, and why managers haven’t had faith for the top flight (when they know they’ll be defending). For this reason, if we’re planning on being an attacking team, Slav will stick with Norwood and I’ll back him to do well next season.

Norwood is fine when he has space to play, athleticism around him and options to pass to. When Fleck is doing his best Brian Howard impression, not moving and hiding behind the ref so he can't possibly receive the ball, Norwood is a complete liability as soon as he comes under pressure and his only ability against pace is bring them down and take a yellow card.

It's no coincidence that Norwood was less bad in the games where there was movement from the other midfielders and the wing backs were playing further forwards. He can still have a part to play at a lower level with the right players around him, but this season's version of Lundstram and Fleck in the top division left him way out of his depth.

What a sorry bunch.

I see here yet another example of someone rating Berge without paying attention to what he’s actually doing. C? For what? He’s been as awful as the other 3. I’m surprised as I thought he hadn’t fooled you, Deadbat
Agree that Berge wasnt our best midfielder for last season. We got only 1 point with him from 15 games. Without him, we got 22 points from 23 games.

I have been quite critical of Berge as other's will know. He has got the makings of a top player but is inconsistent and has the heart of a pea. I also think he lacks the stamina for the English league. If we get our money back I'd be fine with that.

However despite our bad record with him playing I still thought in fits and starts he was our best midfielder in those first few months. I think Wilder said he had been our best player.

It's odd as he did not impact key moments or results but recall at least half a dozen games I still think in a sea of dross, he stood out as being 'less bad than the rest'

Maybe Cs for him and Osborn are a touch high?

I class C as average and felt those two were?

I also am in the minority who thought Lunny was the next best midfielder (of a shocking bunch early) to begin the season but then was awful post Xmas.

Norwood and Fleck were consistently poor throughout and to barely set up a chance, let alone a goal,not score a goal, not get on the ball,move us up the pitch or protect the defence means I graded them so badly. Even the set plays were horrific. Those two and Stevens drop off were such big factors in our season I feel. The strikers did not score much the year before but the midfield were solid, workmanlike and also gave us a foothold.

This year, I felt the midfield were pitiful. Maybe the shape and formation did not help but for the most part the 3 that had done so well a year ago looked completely out of their depth in terms of touch, technique, running power, dribbling amd authority.

I watched the Fulham v Sheff Utd championship game highlights the other day. A few things stood out, midfield wise: Duffy was excellent linking up all over, Fleck was a totally different player then - running forward and driving at the heart of their box very often. We have seen none of that from Fleck for a year and never replaced peak Duffy...
Huge job on for Jokanovic rebooting our midfield. We have never had a proper CDM under Wilder either. Most of the successful teams in the premier need someone like that.
Pragmatically you could entertain keeping Fleck, Norwood and possibly Freeman in the championship for a promotion push but realistically you need their replacements in the club pushing through. Looking at transferring 5-6 players in to this squad in this area at least.
Awful mis management in this area from Wilder. Stupid really that instead of getting in a pissing contest with van winckel he could have actually worked with him to bring in some decent continental midfield talent.

Last edited:
Lundstram was the best midfielder by some distance until about December/January (when he gave up and gradually became the worst). I know this loses me Bladey Blades Points because it doesn’t fit with the view that once he refused a new contract he became both a traitor and the worst player ever, but I still think it’s true… and it’s not like he had much to be better than.

Berge looks like a lovely player, but I’m not sure he’s ever been effective for us, which is the point of him playing. C is too high for me.

Lundstram was the best midfielder by some distance until about December/January (when he gave up and gradually became the worst). I know this loses me Bladey Blades Points because it doesn’t fit with the view that once he refused a new contract he became both a traitor and the worst player ever, but I still think it’s true… and it’s not like he had much to be better than.

Berge looks like a lovely player, but I’m not sure he’s ever been effective for us, which is the point of him playing. C is too high for me.
Agree 100 per cent with these views.

But funnily enough berge was higher in the player ratings given on here after matches than lundstram ( and every other player ) up until his injury

Cheers DB

Always thought Lundstram flattered to deceive in previous seasons. Sure, he 'featured'. But playing at the top end requires consistency and he had none.

As for the rest, it is clear teams had a formula for unlocking our system and it worked. Wilder, and Heckingbottom, had no plan b and when you play a tactically weak central three like we have for so long, getting dicked is nailed on, week after week after week.

Time we cleared the lot out. We need four midfielders who can make the difference, work effectively as a team, win and keep hold of the ball and attack with either a mind to score, or to feed the forwards.

We've had none of that for a season and a half, and now we are relegated because of it.

pommpey

Time we cleared the lot out.

pommpey
How many players? It is a risky thing to have too much of a clearout and start everything again. We are getting £49M from parachute payments next season and we have to make it work

How many players? It is a risky thing to have too much of a clearout and start everything again. We are getting £49M from parachute payments next season and we have to make it work

I can't see any future for Fleck, Norwood or Lundstram at United. They simply aren't good enough.

Fleck - clearly carrying an injury and struggling with fitness and form

Norwood - now exposed as a fan-pleasing one trick pony whose involvement in the centre of the park constitutes a critical weakness

Lundstram - persona non grata now at Bramall Lane on the back of some frankly appalling performances

Berge - a trinket whose face value will be disappointingly poor when push comes to shove, and that won't be long in coming. He won't want to play in the Championship and if he does, will be as effective as Dowell was a couple of seasons ago

Osborn is the only player I'd keep, but only on his tenacity. We've no idea what Couilbally is, was or could be and Freeman is an asset at the club five or six seasons after he should have been, when he was running us ragged at Stevenage and Bristol City. He'll just be our new Jose Baxter now

Harsh truths. We need a rebuild

pommpey

I can't see any future for Fleck, Norwood or Lundstram at United. They simply aren't good enough.

Fleck - clearly carrying an injury and struggling with fitness and form

Norwood - now exposed as a fan-pleasing one trick pony whose involvement in the centre of the park constitutes a critical weakness

Lundstram - persona non grata now at Bramall Lane on the back of some frankly appalling performances

Berge - a trinket whose face value will be disappointingly poor when push comes to shove, and that won't be long in coming. He won't want to play in the Championship and if he does, will be as effective as Dowell was a couple of seasons ago

Osborn is the only player I'd keep, but only on his tenacity. We've no idea what Couilbally is, was or could be and Freeman is an asset at the club five or six seasons after he should have been, when he was running us ragged at Stevenage and Bristol City. He'll just be our new Jose Baxter now

Harsh truths. We need a rebuild

pommpey
Just the midfield?

Looks like Berge will go, Jokanovic knows Norwood well, not sure what he thinks of Fleck and Osborn.

We were saying only last season that Norwood wanted replacing it was that obvious he’s not a week in week out Premier League player, Berge was an addition and possibly a replacement and it was a good idea to ease him in but looking back we needed another midfield player not a striker.

Agree on both points here. Lundstram was the best of a bad much for a couple of months then just gave up. He wasn’t trying.

Berge was (and still is for the time being) a luxury we couldn’t afford. I’ve said it before but he’s been about as effective as Leon Britton, Brian Howard and James Harper during their spells with us. He just happened to cost a lot more.

I think you're being over kind to Lundstram.

He has shown very little since lockdown when the guy who grafted his way to an unexpected start was replaced by Lord Lundstram FPL superstar and legend in his own head.

I don't think he was made a scapegoat because of his contract situation. I think it was more that his contract situation and Berge's arrival lead him to having an attitude which stank the place out and it was that the fans objected to.

That may seem a narrow distinction but I don't think our fans saw his contract situation and picked on him, it was attitude and performance.

Even when he scored against Southampton last game of the season his ugly attitude showed itself.

He started where he left off with a ridiculously undisciplined lunge which cost us the game in the first few minutes vs Wolves. He followed this up when he decided he was the man to take the pen vs Villa and screwed that up. To prove it wasn't a fluke, he did the same against Palace and regularly gave up the ghost, the most obvious one at Leeds.

Then it was the other little destructive and irritating things he did. Constantly killing the attack by passing backwards and passing responsibility to somebody else. The lazy leg-swinging like a grandfather clock pendulum passes to someone else to take on the responsibility. Then the annoying roll forward of the ball, the mark of players who think they are better than they really are, instead of just crossing it, like he was some sort of fucking sniper sharpening the sight before pulling the trigger. Then you've got the lack of tracking back usually after he'd given away the ball. Add in the lazy unconcentrated shooting which saw him miss an absolute sitter against Leeds and a similar effort against West Ham where he just uncaringly lashed the ball when given an ounce of a shit might have seen him at least hit the target.

We finished miles off in the end but it isn't unthinkable that had he not been the architect of (i) a reckless telegraphed challenge against Wolves (ii) a soft penalty v Villa and (iii) missing an absolute gift at 0-0 vs Leees that we could have stepped away with (i) a creditable opening day 0-0 (ii) a hard fought backs against the wall 1-0 at Villa and (iii) a tight fine margins 1-0 at home to Leeds. And 7 points would have set the tone for a far better season.

A few points of joined up thinking there no doubt but in each game the pivotal moment fell to him and he messed it up.

As bad as Norwood was, he never hid, which is something Lundstram did in the second part of the season.

The thing I find most shocking is the length of contracts Fleck and Norwood were given by Wilder . They are both getting on and without the incentive of having to play well to get another contract it’s no surprise their form has tailed off.
This also happened with Leon Clarke ,over 30 and given a 3 year contract after a good season,he barely scored after that. Criminal.
Mind you Wilder also extended Sharp’s and Jagielka’s very expensive deals when the money could have been better spent elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom