United 5 Burnley 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thought Enda played well today, Benson beats every full back in the league 1v1.

Anel and Baldock both got ghosted past by the left winger a couple of times n'all, especially 1st half.

Thought Enda played well today, Benson beats every full back in the league 1v1.

Anel and Baldock both got ghosted past by the left winger a couple of times n'all, especially 1st half.
Just to dampen down some of the khadra like hysteria around benson
That was his first start for burnley and he was subbed off

McBurnie 9/10 – My man of the match

On 2 August 2019, McBurnie signed for Sheffield United on a four-year deal,
Chris Wilder was delighted to have secured one of the club's long-term targets.
"We've had to be patient and work very hard to get Oli to Bramall Lane but I am confident he will be a tremendous success," Wilder told United's official website.
1667760818361.png

Watched it back and it was saved by Wes onto the bar so we were both right!

Makes a change from us both being wrong.

Thought he got a touch initially, but it definitely hit the bar, so was happy to accept Mr Bond’s version of events

Just to dampen down some of the khadra like hysteria around benson
That was his first start for burnley and he was subbed off

Not thinking of someone else Frank? Started five games, and has six goals and three assists already!

Not thinking of someone else Frank? Started five games, and has six goals and three assists already!
I watched the begining of wednesday nights efl highlights and kompany was asked why he hasnt been starting him so i assumed they meant all season ,should have looked it up

I watched the begining of wednesday nights efl highlights and kompany was asked why he hasnt been starting him so i assumed they meant all season ,should have looked it up

Ah fair enough. He’s mainly come off the bench for the last six weeks or so by the looks of it but has been scoring / assisting when doing so

That Enda performance was the same one as the first leg against Forest. Any sort of pace or athleticism against him and he's absolutely helpless.

Did some competent stuff in attack but we need him to be prime attacking output Enda to carry his level of defensive fragility.

Harsh to say but he's going to struggle to get a contract above L2 next season. Could see him going back to Ireland

That Enda performance was the same one as the first leg against Forest. Any sort of pace or athleticism against him and he's absolutely helpless.

Did some competent stuff in attack but we need him to be prime attacking output Enda to carry his level of defensive fragility.

Harsh to say but he's going to struggle to get a contract above L2 next season. Could see him going back to Ireland
Good post. I watched the Burnley 2019 highlights the other day. Interesting to see the difference in 3 years. Both him and Fleck were amazing in that 2019 game. Fast forward to 2022 and both players have changed body shape/size, getting a lot chunkier, Fleck especially so, looking maybe 2 stone heavier? They might be stronger but they are a lot less lithe. Both now just get run past

Got to say i agree about McB. He seems like a different player to what he was before. Fair play to the lad because i lost faith in him a long time ago. He is a pleasure to watch at the minute, long may it continue.

Got to say i agree about McB. He seems like a different player to what he was before. Fair play to the lad because i lost faith in him a long time ago. He is a pleasure to watch at the minute, long may it continue.

He says he’s not training whilst he’s managing the hernia, which is bonkers given his current levels. The work he did in summer must have been immense.

If only Mousset had got a grip of himself in a similar way. 🤯

United – Wow. We certainly are being entertained recently at the Lane and it is never boring! Maybe defensively we should be concerned about how many goals/chances we give away at home but we always look like scoring and being dangerous the other way. It was such an open game again today with lots going on and it seemed like you could never take your eyes off the game at all. There were always things happening! It was odd as even though we trailed at half time, I felt we were really good for a lot of it and just the issues down the left and stupid mistakes that cost us. Burnley did look dangerous but felt we played the better stuff and actually started better, unlucky to go behind, got level and then should have scored to lead before another Robinson howler put them in front. It was so frustrating really as we had been as good, if not better. The defensive issues were still a factor and meant all the good play going the other way was wasted. It was hard to watch Enda struggle to much and with Robinson’s errors aplenty throw in, this was a huge weakness Burnley exploited with Benson superb and the best player seen down at the Lane this season.

Huge credit for United for the spirit, determination, tempo and football we played 2nd half. We came out determined to take the game to the leaders and we were superb. Yes, a lot of set plays and corners caused issues but we played some good football. It was high tempo stuff that was positive in every aspect. Norwood at the heart of it and the front two superb. So many others played well with Anel and Baldock always threats down that side too. It seemed like it was attack after attack and Burnley could not hold us back. A poor keeper and centre halves that could not cope at all – we looked like we may score very time we had it and we kept coming and coming. It was waves of attack with so many men forward and in the box. Once we got level it seemed like they could not hold us back – we got in front from a scrapy goal but then could have had 2 or 3 more as we missed more chances and the calamitous Muric actually saved something! We finally got the 4th and the 5th and then strolled to the victory in the end. It was absolutely relentless stuff from United who put in a superb performance and Burnley only had a few efforts right at the death as they simply were destroyed after the break. They may have been/are the best team in the league but the Blades showed up lots of weaknesses that others teams will have seen too and proves they may not run away with things like many felt. United showed also that if we play like that and can get the likes of Berge, RND, Bogle and Doyle back to add to the excellent displays of others we saw today, we can get back to that early season form. Today was the best we played (2nd half at least) since before the break and looked a powerful, hungry and a really good side. It was maybe not all superb football and set plays were a huge asset but we did what we needed to in completely over powering a side that used to rely on such physical strengths in these situations. A very small and weak side were just not able to cope.

5-2 in the end was about right and the stats maybe skewed on possession but the efforts 28-14 with 12 to 4 on goal and corners 10 to 6 show how much of the dangerous play we had. We had 16 shots to 2 second half and completely dominated them.

A lot will be made of the corners and we had so many efforts from these but a lot of the set plays we won came from good play – they could not live with McBurnie and Ndiaye whose link play, hard work and skill was such a threat. Norwood was excellent all game and Baldock and Anel stepped things up after the half. Even Robinson improved hugely and I just felt we on most battles after the break, after it had been quite even first half, although we were unfortunate to be behind. For the first time for a while, our intensity and desire were much better than the opponent and we won first and second balls. It was high tempo pressure but good stuff/skill too. I am annoyed a lot are just making it about them struggling with the corners/high balls as it was more that that for me. I loved the way we mixed it up and were front foot. We kept creating but did not take our foot off the pedal and even at 2-2, 3-2 and then 4-2 kept going. They had no answer.

If we play like that second half and can find that tempo and desire added to the football and cut out the stupid errors, we look a very good side at this level. We put the leaders to the sword. Yes, they had a few out but we had many more out and it is a salivating prospect to think if we can get Berge, RND, Bogle, Brewster, Lowe and Doyle back to the squad, we will look very powerful. We have had some lethargic and scrappy showings, even when we have got points, since the break but today was like Blackburn, Reading and some of the games when we looked so powerful earlier in the season. Great to see and us back to our best. We have showed in the last week, we can win different ways. It is a hard division and do not want to get carried away. You can see your side do that today and lose to a Rotherham or a Cardiff but I would hope we can back it up with two more strong results and performances and get the break right up there. We then can get some of the aforementioned players back.

For now, just want to enjoy a great performance, comeback and day where the fans and players were united, the team played well. We had excitement, goals, mistakes (both ways) and a superb comeback where United played superbly second half to beat what was/is the best side in the league and by some distance. What going to the Lane is all about.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 – No chance with the opener as it deflected in and made one other decent save. He was fine apart from that as a few shots went over/wide but then the second he was badly exposed. After the break, had little to do until the end really when he made one smart save and took a diving cross. You realise the difference between him and the Burnley keeper (and Davies for us). Having a solid to good keeper who can command and not make mistakes makes a big difference.

Baldock 8/10 – First half got in some good areas going forward with good control and some ok passes across mixed with a few not for the intended target. Defensively he lost his man a bit but most of the danger came down the left. After the break felt he was inspired and was superb. He got up and down and was so energetic. He was involved in numerous attacks and then his run set up the fifth. He often does bring Norwood’s balls down really well but then he panics but today he was ok in the final bit although will feel he should have scored. His energy levels were superb and he gives everything for the shirt. Leaves everything on the pitch.

Stevens 3.5/10 – Sad to see first half. Yes, he was against a really good player but it was hard to watch a fantastic servant for us look so far off it. Maybe he is rusty and without action but he could not run, his touch was poor and he was miles off his man. The early booking did not help but it was a huge struggle. Not sure Robinson and Fleck helped much either but they knew he was the big weak link. So many attacks came down his side. He just looked a player on his last legs. He did a few ok things going forward, one good cross and shot blocked near half time but his head was down and knew it was a struggle. Did a bit better 2nd half as we attacked more and they did not threaten but came off ironically not long before Manuel departed for them!

Robinson 5/10 – First half more like a 1/10 and second half more like an 8/10! He had an absolute shocker to begin with as he and Stevens were not close enough and kept leaving big gaps. He then made two bad headers, not communicating with the rest of the defence on either before throwing himself unnecessarily at the shot and heading into his own net! He had one good throw but then threw two out and another too far from goal before his absolute howler on the stroke of half time. He seemed to slip but then recover but then still ridiculously overplayed and lost it. He had a spell of those sort of errors/first half performances a few years ago before he improved dramatically but when he plays like that, he is a liability. His head was down and he could have been on the floor but showed huge resilience 2nd half as he came out and played so much better. Was first to the ball, showed he did not want to lose battles and then scored a scruffy but important goal. His second half was night and day from that shambles in the first half. Really pleased he could turn it around as some may have gone under.

Egan 7/10 – A steady game where the performance of the left side made the defence maybe look worse than it was. We did lose a few headers to Harwood Bellis but he won most things against a small attack and came out when he could with the ball. We had some up and down – poor defenders and some good ones. He was somewhere in the middle but they had tricky, quicker forwards or inverted wingers which meant a lot of play did not come through the middle.

Ahmedhodzic 8/10 – First half he was ok and their main threats came down the left but a few moments he maybe dithered a bit or went too long but had a few moves down the right with others. Second half he was fantastic and was able to make tackles, interceptions, blocks and key headers. Played really intelligently defensively and got into good areas but his attacking play was something else. Like having another forward. Had a number of headed chances, saved or hit the bar or wide and had the overhead effort, created the equaliser and scored our fourth. A huge threat attacking wise for a defender! He smashes a ball so hard when in the box but also so skilled too with the Cruyff turn to set it up. Eased his way back into things last few weeks but today in the second half played like the Anel we saw to start the season and look a superstar in waiting.

Osborn 7/10 – Do you know what, I have been quite critical of him this season and especially recently but he was decent today. Not amazing but he did his job. He maybe could have helped Stevens more defensively but weirdly ended up as the spare man in the middle rather than on the left. He nearly got in on a few moves first half and was able to get his foot in a few times. A couple of aimless balls forward but second half he did well and was able to win tackles, help us get going forward wise and then later when he went left back did fine here with the game won. Had a few shots/crosses in some of the attacks around the goals. He worked hard and helped us recycle and win much of the loose balls all second half.

Norwood 9/10 – Supreme performance where he dictated the game from start to finish in the middle of the field. His touch, passing and control was a joy to watch. The way he brings down the ball and can play it quickly left or right and use the inside or outside of his foot. His passing was so crisp and accurate today. He rarely wasted a ball all game and was involved in so much of our good play as he orchestrated everything. On top of his general play – so many good balls that led to attacks with Baldock being the recipient much of the time including on the 5th goal with a sublime pass – his set plays were the best they have been over a game. So many corners and free kicks that caused them problems as he put them right into the danger area and the keeper/centre backs flapped all game. A player who when he leaves, we will maybe only then realise how good he has been for this club. A fantastic footballer.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Some things that annoyed me as he was slow to react to a few things and at times I thought that the left side needed help defensively. He was not quick enough to react to stuff and I thought turned so slowly. He did some ok bits and pieces with it and some decent moves but cannot recall many things that he did that led to direct chances/crosses. However, he did help set us up on one of the second half goals with a tackle and also, he put in some really good set plays too, as he and Norwood alternated in causing problems from both sides. My worry is his lack of pace, mobility and fitness that means at times it is a struggle but he did keep pressing and working hard and playing a longer time will help him and us hopefully as he gets back to fitness.

Ndiaye 8.5/10 – Started the game quietly and maybe got crowded out a bit as much of our good play came from Norwood prompting and Baldock down the right and of course McBurnie who was involved all game. However still showed some decent bits and then scored the goal being in the right space. He then started to become more involved and linked well with McBurnie as they are really hitting off a superb partnership with clever link play, one twos and ultimately knowing where the other is going to and the understanding is coming on every week. After the break he went from decent to unplayable. He was always on the ball, his control and dribbling phenomenal and he came out of those tight areas so many times. A few times he looked so determined not to lose the ball, like the one in the corner where he ended up embarrassing Cork. He then got away from Tella and was laughing at him after which was good – I was concerned he may get booked so glad he was moved away. The way he takes the ball down and kills it and keeps it close to his body and can take players out and move us up the field is something else but he also looks dangerous too and teams do not know what to do when he runs at them. Some of the best close control/use of his body to protect the ball I have ever seen in a Blades player. The sky really is the limit with this lad and just the sort of player you want to watch when you go to football.

McBurnie 9/10 – My man of the match, just ahead of Norwood, Ndiaye, Anel and Baldock in a game of so many contenders. He was great from start to finish where as a few of those had stronger 2nd halves. He was a constant threat and won headers, held the ball up, ran the lines, linked with others – particularly Ndiaye and showed what a good footballer he is and technically how underrated he probably is. He had a few headed flicks first half and our main threat of nicking a goal before we did but then his second half he took it on even more. He won every loose ball, held it up expertly and got us up the field with good runs, dribbles and use of the ball. Scored two goals including a difficult diving head where hen had to stretch every sinew and then a cool finish. Only knock is the poor finish at 3-2 and another daft booking but he put so much into it today and gave as complete a centre forward performance as you could wish to see. What a turnaround. Gone from being someone many wanted out (including me) to now maybe the best centre forward in the league and the joint leading scorer. We need to start contract talks soon to tie him down for another few years as when fit and confident he can be a big asset as he is proving. Fair play to him – I wrote him off and wanted him gone – he has really worked hard and been a massive player and when he plays well, we are tough to stop at this level.

Subs –

Basham – Steady enough and gave us some legs and defensive protection. A few funny fouls but for the most part he linked well and was all action but sensible too.

Sharp – Not in the game that much but we had won it by that stage and he was just giving McBurnie a rest and time to get a big ovation maybe too. Gave one foul away.

Arblaster – Glad he got some time and seemed to love it being a Sheffield lad and big Blades fan and was beaming at the end. He had one touch and pass and then a run where he tried to find Sharp -maybe he should have had a shot!

Brooks – Looked lively when he came on and played sensibly as he operated down the left. Looks a rangy and athletic player.

Manager: Heckingbottom 8.5/10 – Picked a side that maybe first half struggled defensively but you could argue that Stevens/Robinson need games as they will not get back to match fitness/sharpness without them but both looked so rusty. I would have picked the same team if Doyle/McAtee were not fit and it kind of picked itself with lack of midfield options. In the end we did ok from an attacking sense although I felt the left side was an issue first half of course and we did not block this side. Second half Stevens did better and Robinson improved as we stopped the supply but basically attacked so much, they had little of the ball and could not get the winger in. Whatever he said at half time saw us go from being decent to superb and we blew them away. We exposed them from set plays but the intensity meant we just kept going at them and scored 4 goals and could have had double that. We totally dominated. I felt we have been off things in 50-50 stuff and winning the battles regardless of the football we have played/not played but won nearly everything after the break and meant we had them penned in. Good to see him get the kids on too at the end.
Brilliant as always - cheers ... I like you was in the 'McBurnie out brigade' ... so glad to say that my lad and the people sat around me love rubbing it in. May it long continue - looks a real quality player now

Back
Top Bottom