United 2 Southampton 2 (Southampton win 4-2 on pens) - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The Blades Carabao Cup campaign ended after a penalty shoot out defeat to Southampton at Bramall Lane. In an entertaining and very open contest, United led early on thanks to the returning Enda Stevens but were pegged back before the break and after Ndiaye and Osborn missed clear chances, the Blades then trailed. Oli McBurnie’s strike saw parity restored before a late Wes Foderingham wonder save took the game to penalties. In the shootout, Brewster and McBurnie missed and United were out.

United made eleven changes where as Southampton made nine from the weekend games showing that the game was maybe not a priority for either manager.

It began in a very open style with both teams attacking. Southampton could have been ahead in the first minute bit Foderingham made a smart reaction save from Broja before United then were on the attack but the ball across evaded McBurnie. On 8 minutes, the Blades took the lead. Bogle did really well down the right and beat his man before pulling back an intelligent cross for STEVENS to calmly steer into the corner giving Forster no chance.

Soon after Burke sprinted away and was in on the angle but his finish was wayward not knowing whether to go for goal or cross the ball. His pace was causing problems and he nearly got in again after Norwood’s ball over the top.

Diallo has a shot over the bar before at the other end, good work from Ndiaye saw the ball worked to Guedioura but his effort was curled over. The game was end to end and Tella was the next man to have a chance but was narrowly off target after good work down the right-hand side saw the opportunity created. Lyanco headed over after Southampton won a flurry of corners in quick succession and it was not long after they were level. United failed to clear and Romeu had lots of time to send over a deep cross which DIALLO nodded down and in. It was a simple goal in it’s creating and execution and a disappointing one to concede for the home side.

United tried to respond and the talented Ndiaye twice showed his quick feet and nimble skills and on the second chance he came inside and beat his defender before curling his effort narrowly wide. It was a great chance to restore the lead.

McBurnie and Lyanco were booked for squaring up to each other as the ball came forward as referee Brooks started to frustrate both sets of players and fans with his inconsistent approach to contact. Burke and Freeman both seemed to be struggling and needed treatment as the game became stop start.

Southampton won another corner but the Blades cleared with Guedioura showing his experience to help the Blades see out the half without a further concession.

The second half began with the two aforementioned Blades players who had gone down coming off with Osborn and Brewster on for Freeman and Burke. Ward Prowse came on for Redmond for the visitors. The home side had a great chance to lead as McBurnie and Brewster linked to feed Osborn with a clear one on one chance but his first-time effort hit the legs off Forster and went behind somehow.

Buoyed from this let off, the Saints sprang forward and won two more corners. Both were taken as short ones and both times, United did not react and on the second one, they had two on one and the cross came over and was converted from close range from SALISU.

Southampton looked to turn the screw and Tella and Romeu had shots blocked as United were now at full stretch but still looked a threat themselves and twice Brewster got down the right but could not quite find the cross.

On 68 minutes, United were level. Osborn found space down the left and sent over an inviting cross and MCBURNIE met it and despatched it into the net taking advantage of gaps all over the Saints’ backline.

Southampton tried to take advantage of a high line but three times they were caught offside. Basham had an effort from a corner but United were now having to defend and throw bodies in the way as Southampton looked to regain the lead in this topsy turvy contest.

Bednarek replaced Lyanco and Fleck then came on for Ndiaye, as the youngster seemed to cramp up again. The game entered the final 10 minutes and McBurnie had a headed effort just wide from an Osborn cross before Adams came on for Tella in the final change for both sides.

Perraud sent over a delightful cross that Adams seemed certain to score but somehow Foderingham got back to tip the ball onto the post in a fantastic save. Southampton won another series of corners but United held firm and then right at the end more good work from Norwood and then Osborn saw the ball come over but Brewster could not finish and the game went to penalties.

Penalties

Ward Prowse – Southampton - SCORE 0-1. Great penalty, smashed high into the top corner.

Norwood – Sheff Utd - SCORE 1-1. Drilled low. Another good penalty.

Adams – Southampton -SCORE 1-2. Coolly rolled it in.

Brewster – Sheff Utd. MISS 1-2. Stutter run up. Hit it hard but Forster guessed right and nowhere near the corner.

Broja – Southampton - MISS 1-2. Foderingham gets across to push it onto the bar I think. Fantastic save!

Osborn – Sheff Utd - SCORE 2-2. Down the middle. Back to 2-2 after 3 each.

Diallo – Southampton – SCORE 2-3. Low to the corner but not smashed. Foderingham went right way but could not quite get it.

McBurnie – Sheff Utd – MISS 2-3. Worst of the shootout. Lacked power and accuracy. Forster saved quite easily.

Romeu – Southampton – SCORE 2-4. Rolled into the corner and Southampton win the shootout 4-2

United – Do you know what, I thought we have it a good old effort considering we had our fringe/backups playing? It was very open and we looked less than secure at the back but attacked well when we could. It was certainly not dull and although you have your heart in your mouth at times watching us, at least it is entertaining! We lacked any kind of structure I felt tonight and this still worries me, albeit with lots of changes. Attacking wise we are now having a go and creating a lot more with individuals expressing themselves but we also leave ourselves open to the counter attack too.

We scored a good goal well made by Bogle and finished by Stevens but they gradually came back into it and you felt a goal coming but a shame it was a header from a cross, a concern that is continuing to happen. After this we had another spell and Ndiaye had a great chance but was just wise but they had chances too. I felt we were getting a bit overrun for a spell and half time came at a good time I thought.

After the break we missed a really good chance from Osborn and not long after they scored with a clear lack of concentration on the short corners – they had one and we got away with it but it went to another on the other side and they scored from it as no one switched on in time. I was concerned they may go away from us at that point but we stayed in it and had a few moments but nothing clear cut until McBurnie got in a good area and finished well from a lovely Osborn cross. After this they always looked the likely winner and had a few chances blocked or just evading incoming strikers from wide crosses before Foderingham made a fantastic save right near the end. Even after this Brewster had a chance but could not finish another deep cross after Norwood had been very good in the build up too.

United did give it a good go though. They never got completely torn apart even though Southampton you always felt had that bit more quality in attacking areas and if we take maybe the two biggest chances at 1-1 then you never know but after this, we were chasing it a bit but got a leveller and then take it to penalties, deservedly. I was concerned we had two strikers out of form that might miss and so it proved. Neither were awful in the game actually (both ok even though the narrative will be different from some fans – concerns from both still but neither were terrible) but they lack belief in big moments although you can argue without McBurnie it would not have gone to the spot kicks.

Positives were Stevens coming back and doing ok, Bash was decent and the two midfield lads I thought put a real shift in and did some decent bits with the ball. Ndiaye was good first half but faded whereas McBurnie was the opposite. The keeper was never totally secure but made a fantastic save. Osborn did really well when he came on too. I thought concerns are the lack of football intelligence and awareness of some, namely Robinson and Brewster. Bogle started well but struggled defensively. I thought overall despite the defeat in the end, there were more positives then negatives. Not sure, other than Osborn (and Fleck) that any that started or finished the game, will play Saturday. I expect Berge back for Brewster and the team to be what it would have been before he pulled out at Hull. I think he will stick with Norrington Davies but Stevens is pushing him after that.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 - Made a routine save early on and I felt he had little chance with the two goals but actually in overall play I was less than convinced at times with his decision making; often failing to come out and claim through balls and his kicking/distribution was not great but he made an absolutely fantastic save at 2-2 that took it to penalties. Brilliant point-blank stuff that tipped it onto the post. Saved one penalty knocking it onto the bar but the others he had little chance with really. Did got the right way on every one until the last one!

Bogle 6.5/10 – Started the game well getting forward and a lovely assist on the goal as he darted past his man and pulled back a delightful cross. He got into good areas a few times down that side and was willing to attack. Defensively I thought that he struggled and a few times they jinked into space but he was not helped by Freeman’s lack of assistance on this side. On the goal he is not watching as his man comes across him to head home. 2nd half he was not always switched on at times and they had a few overloads and also, he tried to step out a few times. He did try and put some crosses over when he could but was defending more and more as the game went on. Baldock is comfortably ahead of him at the moment but at least tonight we saw some glimpses of the form he showed last Xmas and beyond.

Stevens 7/10 – As with Bogle, began the game well from an attacking sense and got into some great forward positions and celebrated his return with a well taken goal which he took well. Had a few other decent runs and some ok crosses but they started to cause a few problems and he was at full stretch defensively as the half went on. The first goal he was not tight enough to stop the cross. Second half was a mixed bag. A few decent runs again into space but mostly he had to be more cautious. Got caught out a few times down that side as we tried to play offside and I felt at times the whole defence looked at full stretch. I did feel much more comfortable him there than Norrington Davies and I expect him to go back in over the next few games. Hope like Fleck he can get back to some level of form. Tonight, was promising for his return against some quick and athletic players. On the corner he did seem to switch off, as did Bogle on the one before but then I also look at others players as they had 2 on 1 and we had been let off on the first one.

Robinson 5.5/10 – He actually did some of things with a few good blocks but time and time again he dithers, gets caught out or fails to read things or sense the danger. He kept playing them onside 2nd half and a few botched clearances or passes nearly saw them in (one right at the end where the cross just evaded the incoming striker). He actually did put his body on the line and competed but he lacks awareness and makes too many mistakes. Tonight, twice at the end he could have cost us but not sure it was anywhere near his worst game this season – he was ok if not outstanding.

Basham 6.5/10 – Steady game. Tried to come out with it but of course with the speed he had to sit in and especially with us having a 2 at the back. Had to read Robinson’s mistakes at times and sweep up being. I also felt like he was trying to get the defence in line 2nd half but 2 were coming out and 2 staying back. He did make a few errors but normally got back and recovered them. They did score goals from a simple header and us switching off on a short corner and he is the one closest to the scorer. After this made a few good blocks but we did seem to be chancing it with the offside trap a fair few times and got lucky a bit.

Norwood 7.5/10 – I thought he had a good game tonight. I few giveaways but generally he got stuck in, played some good balls and forward passes (a beauty of a diagonal drilled ball near the end when we had a chance) and thought he kept his shape and made sure that they were not cutting us open. I thought he actually got around the pitch better. Sometimes it was a bit slow and cautious but he did mix it up a bit more even fi some forward balls did not come off. Also got a few tackles in and broke things up a bit and helped set up the 2nd with his tackle.

Guedioura 7/10 – Started game very competitively and was lucky not to get booked for a bad tackle. Neat and tidy on the ball and used it well apart from a few moments where he overplayed. Looks quite composed though and not as slow as I thought he might be at advancing years. Him and Norwood did a decent job defensively and we were not overrun 1st half. 2nd half they started to find more gaps and it became too open and I felt they looked like getting through us too much and the defence did not have as much protection. As the game went on, he looked a bit heavy legged which was not surprising considering the lack of games but the full 90 minutes will have done him good. Not amazing but might be a useful lad to have around as does those niggle little bits and makes the interceptions/tackles and can also show some physicality too.

Freeman 4.5/10 – Our poorest player first half. A few ok touches and bits of link play and a pass in the build up to the goal but it was all a bit hot potato and I thought he was too rushed at times. Gets shoved off it too easily and lacks pace so just gets crowded out. Did play one good ball to Burke but overall, not involved enough. More than that he was appalling defensively and left Bogle horrible exposed on several occasions. He just kept pointing and then as Bogle picked up the one running forward, Freeman would then lose his man meaning he had pointed at the other player and lost his own man! Did it three times as we got put in a bad position down that side. He then pulled up injured (again) and came off at half time. He is not good enough for me and lacks the pace, strength and running to be much of a factor really and just seems to be blowing early in games. With the newcomers, I don’t even see him making the bench when everyone is fit.

Ndiaye 6.5/10 – First half he was good and maybe more a 7 or 7.5. He got on it, made things happen and showed his close control and ability to run at players. Two or three times he made something happen and there was one effort where he ran at the defence and curled it just wide. Maybe he should have scored but he kind of made it out of nothing. He has excellent close control and uses his body well to wriggle away. Seems to the opposite of Brewster in that he reads things in terms of where the ball goes and gets involved and makes things happen. I thought he was one of our stand outs first half even if he was not always involved. 2nd half he faded though and was not really in it. We put him back in a more withdrawn role and he was just not a factor as much and cramped up again (bit of a worry he cannot last the full games yet but of course not played many professional games). Still showed a fair bit of promise and think we have a player there definitely.

Burke 6.5/10 – People may scoff at my mark but I actually thought that was the best I have seen him for some time. Granted he has been awful for a fair old period but he got behind, made intelligent runs and also a few times ran at the defence. He actually provided a useful outlet and showed his pace and running. Of course, the end product is the issue but he did ok on a few runs and crosses into the area. Did have one good run but then played an odd cross field cross to no one in particular. He seemed to pull up on one run and never really recovered and went off at half time. Seems due to his running and his style which is going full belt, he picks up these muscle/pulls too often.

McBurnie 7/10 – First half more like a 3 but 2nd half more like an 8! Thought he had a wretched first half where most things came off him, he could not offer much at all and then got involved in a fighting match with the centre back and was booked when he lost his composure. Seemed to be behind the ball and never imposed himself or got in front of his man and I thought he looked way off it. 2nd half improved hugely. Started with one good ball and then won a few headers and involved in the Osborn chance. Began to hold it up, win the ball in the air and play people in. Started to help us get up the field and was involved in some of our better moves. Scored the goal when he kept his composure to finish. His penalty was rotten (worst of the shootout) mind and I never felt confident when he and Brewster stepped up (did he miss one v Burnley last year too?) which says it all about them in terms of confidence. He did have a better 2nd half though and for all the criticism he (and Brewster) will get and yes, they should score penalties as strikers, he had an impact after the break.

Subs –

Osborn 7.5/10 – Thought he was very good when he came on. Did miss a good chance when he should score but Forster got a bit lucky on this as it hit his leg and went behind. However, his general play was good with some excellent crosses, link play and work rate. The cross for the goal was really good but he had put quite a few into the box before this. Scored his penalty in the shoot out too.

Brewster 6/10 – Cannot fault his work rate. He won numerous tackles, chased things down and lots of effort off the ball. On the ball still has no idea where to run and kind of hides behind defenders but he did make a few runs down the right and put some decent crosses in and helped set up Osborn too on the chance early 2nd half. Had a few opportunities to run onto MacBurnie flicks but was not quite quick enough to read or react. I was certain he would miss his penalty and his stutter run up (Scored for England u21’s with it the other week) is never a good look! He did hit it hard and high but once again as he has done for 12 months, found the keeper albeit a good save! His confidence must be rock bottom at the moment.

Fleck – He was busy when he came on but only had just over 10 minutes. At this stage the game was open and he was more trying to stop them breaking and scoring as they looked more likely as the minutes ticked down.

Jokanovic 7/10 – Changed eleven and the team gave a decent account and were competitive in a close game. It was way too open and another night Southampton could have scored 5 or 6 but then we could have matched them with this. It is very gung ho and we have little in the way of organisation or solidity at the back or in the side as a whole. We play like it’s a basketball game currently which is a worry against pace and athletes but we somehow managed to prevent them scoring in such breaks. They scored two routine goals – header and a short corner that came in (crosses). Will be pleased to see 90 minutes for Stevens and Guedioura who both did quite well and McBurnie had a better 2nd half. We did look like scoring and got into some good areas and played some ok stuff again but equally you worry about the defensive area. However, we did not see many first teamers (at least from Saturday) play much or full games (Brewster and Osborn came on for a half) and he will have been pleased to get more minutes into the team against a quality side, albeit one that made changes themselves.

Southampton – They made 9 changes but still had a lot of quality and athleticism/pace in their side. They had a fair few we have seen in recent years at top level and also some expensive fringe players starting. I thought that they looked good going forward and 17 shots to our 9 and 6 to 3 on target and 13 corners to 1. Also 56% possession which we ceded for the first time this season in this category. However, they were exploited defensively quite a bit and for all the above stats, the game was fairly even. Granted they had spells where they looked like getting through us but we did have notable chances (Ndiaye and Osborn) that were as good, if not better than anything they created at 1-1. After they went ahead, you felt they may go on to 3 or 4 but we hung on and it was quite even again and then we got a leveller. At the end, they looked the more likely and had a wonderful chance to win it but Foderingham made the superb save. You always sensed the giant figure of Forster and the quality on penalties would see them through and so it proved. They were very open though and for a top flight team, even with changes will be concerned how easily we broke through them and for all the attacks they had they were sloppy with the final bits. In the end they will be pleased to go through but it was not a game they dominated and was close throughout. They clearly have better players (better reserves I suppose looking at the two teams) and showed they have more technical players with that pace and power but we did stay with them and actually for all the better quality on the ball, you can argue we had as many clear chances on goal.

Opponent Man of the Match – Forster takes it just for the big saves in the shootout. Thought Ward Prowse looked class when he came on and I like Romeu as a player. Django flitted in and out but can be a threat.

Opponent Weak link – Redmond was not great tonight and taken off. However, both centre backs were less than convincing. Vojnovic and Salisu struggled at times and left too many gaps. Numerous crosses came in or balls went through and the centre of defence were sleeping.

Referee/Officials – John Brooks. Recently been promoted to the Premier League officials list. He was very poor from start to finish. He failed to penalise some blatant fouls (how Guedioura was not booked is beyond me!) and then gave free kicks for little pushes. As soon as Southampton players went down, he gave free kicks and they bought a lot of soft ones. I thought he did his best to try and protect the Premier League side (knows he will see them a lot this season and probably not us, so maybe looking after his own as ridiculous as that sounds). Just very frustrating and wildly inconsistent. To be fair this was both ways. I felt a few more ragged challenges we committed were then let go. He seemed to have no grasp of what was a foul and what was not a foul! I am not sure there many huge decisions that he got wrong (the McBurnie one for a penalty would have been soft) but he just lacked control and was stopping the game too much. It was all about him when he should have let more of the minimal contact go so we could watch a decent contest of two teams having a go rather than him constantly blowing his whistle.

Crowd / Match Day experience – Poor crowd really for a Premier League team coming down here but I suppose this cup has a habit of sparse crowds but there were 11-12,000 at Fulham and QPR for similar type games so it was lower than I thought. Those who went saw a cracking game really. Granted they only opened two stands and maybe more would come if the Kop was open? I thought it was an ok atmosphere though. They only had maybe 700-800 fans but got behind them and the United crowd, as low as it was recognised the team were putting a decent effort in and also saw a very entertaining contest considering both teams had changed a lot of players.

Cheers Deaders.

I can't get too upset at us going out on pens.

Sounds like a lot of our players tonight upped their game and met the challenge. It's good to see the Slav-Effect taking place and players having a go for first team football.

Six months ago we'd have lost this game by half time.

pommpey

Agree with most of that mate. Osborn was much better than Freeman tonight. Guedioura played some good stuff and was composed on the ball. Brewster put some great tackles in, including some old-school slide tackles, at high speed, with enough contact on the ball to deny the (shitty) Ref the chance to give a free kick to Southampton. All in all, it could have gone either way, shame to go out on pens, but that's the way it goes.

Not sure who was a first team starter for Southampton, but they were pretty crap as a team. Either that or we were just a lot better.

Up The Blades.

That’s the fifth straight penalty shootout we’ve lost. The last one we won was v Hartlepool in the Johnstone’s Paint under Adkins.

Im pleased McBurnie scored, but he’s the last person I’d choose to take a pen. That’s the second year in a row he’s made it easy for the keeper in a shootout.

Pretty much how I saw it, probably half a point out on a few of the players, I.E Wes; Bash and Freeman deserved the extra half a point , just a pity just over 8,000 where there to see it, on the whole , a very good entertaining game . I think most of the crowd had McBurnie down to miss his pen though.

Great turnout by Southampton fans too considering the distance ,a shame our fans didnt match it. I looked on shoutbox 3 times and everytime other matches were being discussed rather than ours.

Have you got a 'My take' then?

pommpey

Not too disappointed to go out on pens in this competition, I bet most could name 7 out of 8 who get to the quarter finals as up to that point the games are little more than practice matches. Sounds like we did alright with the possible exception of Freeman who is not pulling any trees up and looks a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.

That’s the fifth straight penalty shootout we’ve lost. The last one we won was v Hartlepool in the Johnstone’s Paint under Adkins.

Im pleased McBurnie scored, but he’s the last person I’d choose to take a pen. That’s the second year in a row he’s made it easy for the keeper in a shootout.
He scored pens for Swansea*, if you look at his goals compilation on YouTube, I don’t know how many he missed of course.

*how long will we keep referencing the Swansea days for him and Brewster??

Some really solid performers last night. My ratings for what they’re worth;

Foderingham - 7.5
Stevens - 7
Robinson - 6
Bash - 6.5
Bogle - 6
Norwood - 8 (MoM)
Guedioura - 7
Freeman - 5
Ndiaye - 7
Burke - 6.5
McBurnie - 7.5

Osborn - 7
Brewster - 7
Fleck - n/a

Norwood and McBurnie (especially second half) were superb at times. Really good to see that the former is coming back to something like his best - we even saw an excellent set piece whipped into the box!

Enjoyed the slightly different viewpoint in the South tonight, right behind Slav and his team. Entertaining to watch him when we were getting nothing from the officials (who were utterly shit) and him turning to the crowd with raised eyebrows. Have to say I’m really warming to him and his style. The football is excellent at times, even if we are a bit open. It’s going to be an entertaining season whichever way it goes.

Some really solid performers last night. My ratings for what they’re worth;

Foderingham - 7.5
Stevens - 7
Robinson - 6
Bash - 6.5
Bogle - 6
Norwood - 8 (MoM)
Guedioura - 7
Freeman - 5
Ndiaye - 7
Burke - 6.5
McBurnie - 7.5

Osborn - 7
Brewster - 7
Fleck - n/a

Norwood and McBurnie (especially second half) were superb at times. Really good to see that the former is coming back to something like his best - we even saw an excellent set piece whipped into the box!

Enjoyed the slightly different viewpoint in the South tonight, right behind Slav and his team. Entertaining to watch him when we were getting nothing from the officials (who were utterly shit) and him turning to the crowd with raised eyebrows. Have to say I’m really warming to him and his style. The football is excellent at times, even if we are a bit open. It’s going to be an entertaining season whichever way it goes.

"...Norwood and McBurnie (especially second half) were superb at times. Really good to see that the former is coming back to something like his best - we even saw an excellent set piece whipped into the box!..."

Now that was some cross wasn't it!, it was begging for someone to get a clean header on.

Agree with most of that marking, and it was great to see Wes deny Che Adams a goal, minutes after he came onto the pitch, that one looked all but in from where I was sitting.

Thanks for the report DB. Seems we gave it a go but Ndiaye and the returning Stevens apart none of the rest look to be in Saturdays starting eleven.

Your comments regarding Robinsons performance illustrate the one missed opportunity last night. We have been conceding numerous goals in the air at the back and did so again when the usual suspects where on their heels allowing a free header for not the tallest of players. We had a 6 foot 4 centre back sat on the bench who would have benefited from the experience and would have easily dealt with that particular ball into the box.

The continuing obsession that JR is a centre back is puzzling.

Thanks for the report Deadbat - agree with pretty much everything there.

One point I'd make is that it was a very entertaining open game, but perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh on the defence when those players have not played together really in a back four, Stevens has literally just come back from injury, and they were playing against a very tricky and pacy set of forwards, most of whom are better than anything we're likely to see in the Championship.

I'd also like to say that for all his shortcomings, Robinson did do ok and in the first half made a very important and well timed tackle when they had broken and it was 3 on 2.

I'd also say that we did extremely well considering we were playing the whole game against 12 men!

"McBurnie – Sheff Utd – MISS 2-3. Worst of the shootout. Lacked power and accuracy. Forster saved quite easily."
I've seen McBurnie's penalty back and disagree that it lacked accuracy. It was right in the bottom corner and the keeper saved well to his left.

"McBurnie – Sheff Utd – MISS 2-3. Worst of the shootout. Lacked power and accuracy. Forster saved quite easily."
I've seen McBurnie's penalty back and disagree that it lacked accuracy. It was right in the bottom corner and the keeper saved well to his left.

A96F01EA-4AAC-4969-AB03-E85486D1A68F.jpeg

I dunno, if you put it at a good height for the keeper (say 1-4ft off the ground), it’s got to be right in the corner and/or hit with some power. Not sure this was either, it looked a fairly comfortable save a good yard or two inside the post.

Keeper goes the other way and it’s a great penalty of course. But like Sharp’s at Hull, if he goes the right way he has a great chance of stopping it.

View attachment 121474

I dunno, if you put it at a good height for the keeper (say 1-4ft off the ground), it’s got to be right in the corner and/or hit with some power. Not sure this was either, it looked a fairly comfortable save a good yard or two inside the post.

Keeper goes the other way and it’s a great penalty of course. But like Sharp’s at Hull, if he goes the right way he has a great chance of stopping it.
You can tell this a criminal penalty miss. The still looks like CCTV.

It was not hit that hard and not right on the ground or put high up the keeper cannot reach/get to, so kind of the perfect height to save.

As a keeper myself of some repute for Throstles in the GT Sunday League between 1989-94 - if I was facing a penalty the hardest ones to save were hard and low in the corner or hard and high. Anything a bit softer and a few feet off the ground were savable if you went the right way.

Brewster hit his really hard and did get some elevation - that was a fantastic save I thought.

If you are going to send them the wrong way, send them the wrong way.

I am not sure what McBurnie was trying to achieve with his body shape.

Just finished watching it. Enjoyable game, thought all players showed some good stuff against strong opposition. I wouldn't give anyone less than 6/10 and thought everyone showed they could have a part to play this season.

If you are going to send them the wrong way, send them the wrong way.

I am not sure what McBurnie was trying to achieve with his body shape.

That's ok - I'm not sure McBurnie knows what he's trying to achieve with his body shape either! 😄

Just finished watching it. Enjoyable game, thought all players showed some good stuff against strong opposition. I wouldn't give anyone less than 6/10 and thought everyone showed they could have a part to play this season.
Agree, nobody had a bad game, Freeman was a 6 for me, and I thought Enda first half was a 9,he was great.. Norwood played well and like the look of Guedioura. Good open game, and we played some good stuff.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 - Made a routine save early on and I felt he had little chance with the two goals but actually in overall play I was less than convinced at times with his decision making; often failing to come out and claim through balls and his kicking/distribution was not great but he made an absolutely fantastic save at 2-2 that took it to penalties. Brilliant point-blank stuff that tipped it onto the post. Saved one penalty knocking it onto the bar but the others he had little chance with really. Did got the right way on every one until the last one!

Bogle 6.5/10 – Started the game well getting forward and a lovely assist on the goal as he darted past his man and pulled back a delightful cross. He got into good areas a few times down that side and was willing to attack. Defensively I thought that he struggled and a few times they jinked into space but he was not helped by Freeman’s lack of assistance on this side. On the goal he is not watching as his man comes across him to head home. 2nd half he was not always switched on at times and they had a few overloads and also, he tried to step out a few times. He did try and put some crosses over when he could but was defending more and more as the game went on. Baldock is comfortably ahead of him at the moment but at least tonight we saw some glimpses of the form he showed last Xmas and beyond.

Stevens 7/10 – As with Bogle, began the game well from an attacking sense and got into some great forward positions and celebrated his return with a well taken goal which he took well. Had a few other decent runs and some ok crosses but they started to cause a few problems and he was at full stretch defensively as the half went on. The first goal he was not tight enough to stop the cross. Second half was a mixed bag. A few decent runs again into space but mostly he had to be more cautious. Got caught out a few times down that side as we tried to play offside and I felt at times the whole defence looked at full stretch. I did feel much more comfortable him there than Norrington Davies and I expect him to go back in over the next few games. Hope like Fleck he can get back to some level of form. Tonight, was promising for his return against some quick and athletic players. On the corner he did seem to switch off, as did Bogle on the one before but then I also look at others players as they had 2 on 1 and we had been let off on the first one.

Robinson 5.5/10 – He actually did some of things with a few good blocks but time and time again he dithers, gets caught out or fails to read things or sense the danger. He kept playing them onside 2nd half and a few botched clearances or passes nearly saw them in (one right at the end where the cross just evaded the incoming striker). He actually did put his body on the line and competed but he lacks awareness and makes too many mistakes. Tonight, twice at the end he could have cost us but not sure it was anywhere near his worst game this season – he was ok if not outstanding.

Basham 6.5/10 – Steady game. Tried to come out with it but of course with the speed he had to sit in and especially with us having a 2 at the back. Had to read Robinson’s mistakes at times and sweep up being. I also felt like he was trying to get the defence in line 2nd half but 2 were coming out and 2 staying back. He did make a few errors but normally got back and recovered them. They did score goals from a simple header and us switching off on a short corner and he is the one closest to the scorer. After this made a few good blocks but we did seem to be chancing it with the offside trap a fair few times and got lucky a bit.

Norwood 7.5/10 – I thought he had a good game tonight. I few giveaways but generally he got stuck in, played some good balls and forward passes (a beauty of a diagonal drilled ball near the end when we had a chance) and thought he kept his shape and made sure that they were not cutting us open. I thought he actually got around the pitch better. Sometimes it was a bit slow and cautious but he did mix it up a bit more even fi some forward balls did not come off. Also got a few tackles in and broke things up a bit and helped set up the 2nd with his tackle.

Guedioura 7/10 – Started game very competitively and was lucky not to get booked for a bad tackle. Neat and tidy on the ball and used it well apart from a few moments where he overplayed. Looks quite composed though and not as slow as I thought he might be at advancing years. Him and Norwood did a decent job defensively and we were not overrun 1st half. 2nd half they started to find more gaps and it became too open and I felt they looked like getting through us too much and the defence did not have as much protection. As the game went on, he looked a bit heavy legged which was not surprising considering the lack of games but the full 90 minutes will have done him good. Not amazing but might be a useful lad to have around as does those niggle little bits and makes the interceptions/tackles and can also show some physicality too.

Freeman 4.5/10 – Our poorest player first half. A few ok touches and bits of link play and a pass in the build up to the goal but it was all a bit hot potato and I thought he was too rushed at times. Gets shoved off it too easily and lacks pace so just gets crowded out. Did play one good ball to Burke but overall, not involved enough. More than that he was appalling defensively and left Bogle horrible exposed on several occasions. He just kept pointing and then as Bogle picked up the one running forward, Freeman would then lose his man meaning he had pointed at the other player and lost his own man! Did it three times as we got put in a bad position down that side. He then pulled up injured (again) and came off at half time. He is not good enough for me and lacks the pace, strength and running to be much of a factor really and just seems to be blowing early in games. With the newcomers, I don’t even see him making the bench when everyone is fit.

Ndiaye 6.5/10 – First half he was good and maybe more a 7 or 7.5. He got on it, made things happen and showed his close control and ability to run at players. Two or three times he made something happen and there was one effort where he ran at the defence and curled it just wide. Maybe he should have scored but he kind of made it out of nothing. He has excellent close control and uses his body well to wriggle away. Seems to the opposite of Brewster in that he reads things in terms of where the ball goes and gets involved and makes things happen. I thought he was one of our stand outs first half even if he was not always involved. 2nd half he faded though and was not really in it. We put him back in a more withdrawn role and he was just not a factor as much and cramped up again (bit of a worry he cannot last the full games yet but of course not played many professional games). Still showed a fair bit of promise and think we have a player there definitely.

Burke 6.5/10 – People may scoff at my mark but I actually thought that was the best I have seen him for some time. Granted he has been awful for a fair old period but he got behind, made intelligent runs and also a few times ran at the defence. He actually provided a useful outlet and showed his pace and running. Of course, the end product is the issue but he did ok on a few runs and crosses into the area. Did have one good run but then played an odd cross field cross to no one in particular. He seemed to pull up on one run and never really recovered and went off at half time. Seems due to his running and his style which is going full belt, he picks up these muscle/pulls too often.

McBurnie 7/10 – First half more like a 3 but 2nd half more like an 8! Thought he had a wretched first half where most things came off him, he could not offer much at all and then got involved in a fighting match with the centre back and was booked when he lost his composure. Seemed to be behind the ball and never imposed himself or got in front of his man and I thought he looked way off it. 2nd half improved hugely. Started with one good ball and then won a few headers and involved in the Osborn chance. Began to hold it up, win the ball in the air and play people in. Started to help us get up the field and was involved in some of our better moves. Scored the goal when he kept his composure to finish. His penalty was rotten (worst of the shootout) mind and I never felt confident when he and Brewster stepped up (did he miss one v Burnley last year too?) which says it all about them in terms of confidence. He did have a better 2nd half though and for all the criticism he (and Brewster) will get and yes, they should score penalties as strikers, he had an impact after the break.

Subs –

Osborn 7.5/10 – Thought he was very good when he came on. Did miss a good chance when he should score but Forster got a bit lucky on this as it hit his leg and went behind. However, his general play was good with some excellent crosses, link play and work rate. The cross for the goal was really good but he had put quite a few into the box before this. Scored his penalty in the shoot out too.

Brewster 6/10 – Cannot fault his work rate. He won numerous tackles, chased things down and lots of effort off the ball. On the ball still has no idea where to run and kind of hides behind defenders but he did make a few runs down the right and put some decent crosses in and helped set up Osborn too on the chance early 2nd half. Had a few opportunities to run onto MacBurnie flicks but was not quite quick enough to read or react. I was certain he would miss his penalty and his stutter run up (Scored for England u21’s with it the other week) is never a good look! He did hit it hard and high but once again as he has done for 12 months, found the keeper albeit a good save! His confidence must be rock bottom at the moment.

Fleck – He was busy when he came on but only had just over 10 minutes. At this stage the game was open and he was more trying to stop them breaking and scoring as they looked more likely as the minutes ticked down.

Jokanovic 7/10 – Changed eleven and the team gave a decent account and were competitive in a close game. It was way too open and another night Southampton could have scored 5 or 6 but then we could have matched them with this. It is very gung ho and we have little in the way of organisation or solidity at the back or in the side as a whole. We play like it’s a basketball game currently which is a worry against pace and athletes but we somehow managed to prevent them scoring in such breaks. They scored two routine goals – header and a short corner that came in (crosses). Will be pleased to see 90 minutes for Stevens and Guedioura who both did quite well and McBurnie had a better 2nd half. We did look like scoring and got into some good areas and played some ok stuff again but equally you worry about the defensive area. However, we did not see many first teamers (at least from Saturday) play much or full games (Brewster and Osborn came on for a half) and he will have been pleased to get more minutes into the team against a quality side, albeit one that made changes themselves.

Southampton – They made 9 changes but still had a lot of quality and athleticism/pace in their side. They had a fair few we have seen in recent years at top level and also some expensive fringe players starting. I thought that they looked good going forward and 17 shots to our 9 and 6 to 3 on target and 13 corners to 1. Also 56% possession which we ceded for the first time this season in this category. However, they were exploited defensively quite a bit and for all the above stats, the game was fairly even. Granted they had spells where they looked like getting through us but we did have notable chances (Ndiaye and Osborn) that were as good, if not better than anything they created at 1-1. After they went ahead, you felt they may go on to 3 or 4 but we hung on and it was quite even again and then we got a leveller. At the end, they looked the more likely and had a wonderful chance to win it but Foderingham made the superb save. You always sensed the giant figure of Forster and the quality on penalties would see them through and so it proved. They were very open though and for a top flight team, even with changes will be concerned how easily we broke through them and for all the attacks they had they were sloppy with the final bits. In the end they will be pleased to go through but it was not a game they dominated and was close throughout. They clearly have better players (better reserves I suppose looking at the two teams) and showed they have more technical players with that pace and power but we did stay with them and actually for all the better quality on the ball, you can argue we had as many clear chances on goal.

Opponent Man of the Match – Forster takes it just for the big saves in the shootout. Thought Ward Prowse looked class when he came on and I like Romeu as a player. Django flitted in and out but can be a threat.

Opponent Weak link – Redmond was not great tonight and taken off. However, both centre backs were less than convincing. Vojnovic and Salisu struggled at times and left too many gaps. Numerous crosses came in or balls went through and the centre of defence were sleeping.

Referee/Officials – John Brooks. Recently been promoted to the Premier League officials list. He was very poor from start to finish. He failed to penalise some blatant fouls (how Guedioura was not booked is beyond me!) and then gave free kicks for little pushes. As soon as Southampton players went down, he gave free kicks and they bought a lot of soft ones. I thought he did his best to try and protect the Premier League side (knows he will see them a lot this season and probably not us, so maybe looking after his own as ridiculous as that sounds). Just very frustrating and wildly inconsistent. To be fair this was both ways. I felt a few more ragged challenges we committed were then let go. He seemed to have no grasp of what was a foul and what was not a foul! I am not sure there many huge decisions that he got wrong (the McBurnie one for a penalty would have been soft) but he just lacked control and was stopping the game too much. It was all about him when he should have let more of the minimal contact go so we could watch a decent contest of two teams having a go rather than him constantly blowing his whistle.

Crowd / Match Day experience – Poor crowd really for a Premier League team coming down here but I suppose this cup has a habit of sparse crowds but there were 11-12,000 at Fulham and QPR for similar type games so it was lower than I thought. Those who went saw a cracking game really. Granted they only opened two stands and maybe more would come if the Kop was open? I thought it was an ok atmosphere though. They only had maybe 700-800 fans but got behind them and the United crowd, as low as it was recognised the team were putting a decent effort in and also saw a very entertaining contest considering both teams had changed a lot of players.
Norveners love a day out in the Smoke though, don’t they.

Back
Top Bottom