United 1 Brighton 0 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Report and podcast….

After finally being confirmed as relegated last week, there is a notion that teams whose fate has been sealed can relax and play care free football. Such sides often can start winning games or spring some surprises on better placed teams. On Saturday evening at Bramall Lane, we saw this in affect as the home side put in a much better performance. In an even first half, McGoldrick profited from some poor defending and then despite Brighton dominating after the break, United kept a firm rear guard and held out for a rare win.

Caretaker Heckingbottom with a 100% record from his games so far named a starting line up that saw Ampadu left out and Bogle back in with Baldock moving to centre back. Brewster continued up front with McGoldrick. On the bench were youngsters Brunt and Gordon once again.

Brighton manager Potter made three changes with Maupay, Lallana and Moder replacing Burn, Mac Allister and the suspended White. The visitors knew probably one more win would keep them safe in the top flight.

United started on the attack with Brewster having a shot blocked and then McGoldrick’s looping header going over the bar. Fleck then had an enterprising run but Baldock’s pass was poor on the right. The Blades played some neat stuff early on but Brighton started to ease back into it and had the first effort on goal on 11 minutes. Bissouma ran though the Blades midfield way too easily advancing past Norwood and slipping in Maupay. The striker was in on goal on the angle but as Fleck challenged, Ramsdale made the block with his chest. Brighton continued to control the possession for a period but it was a relatively even game.

On 18 minutes, United took the lead. Stevens played a ball through after Webster gave it away and Osborn was in down the left. He hit an early cross into a really dangerous area and Veltman could not clear and it bounced off Gross and Brewster to fall perfectly for MCGOLDRICK. The Blades leading scorer turned the ball home for his 7th of the season. It was awful defending and maybe a touch of fortune how it fell but United had put the ball into the box early which was a rarity this season.

Soon after the striker nearly intercepted another poor piece of play as Brighton attempted to play out again but this time he could not quite get there and indeed got booked for a high foot on the defender. Some decent play by United soon after saw them switch it wide but Bryan’s cross was poor.

Ramsdale’s had been composed kicking it out but he grubbed one that led to a chance for Brighton but United recovered and broke. Brighton intercepted but again unwisely tried to play out and it led to Brewster trying to get a shot off but it was blocked. The striker had looked lively so far though.

Just before the half hour, the Blades played some nice stuff down the right with Osborn, Bogle and Baldock involved but Brighton got a foot in and from a tight area, Lallana broke and Brighton played their best move of the game with some swift one touch stuff to go through the middle. Norwood did well to get back to his foot in. McGoldrick was then chopped down but the free kick was headed clear.

Veltman ran half the length of the pitch but United again got enough bodies in the way to hold it up. On half way soon after, McGoldrick executed two incredible pieces of skill to fool Dunk and create space, looking Ronaldo (the old one!) in his pomp. Stevens then came inside and few Brewster who showed some good industry and sent over a cross that was cleared. At the other end Brighton moved it around well but Stevens got a toe in to send it out for a corner.

Brighton finished the half with more possession and won a few corners before Bissouma tried an adventurous shot from a long way out and it sailed wide. The Seagulls then moved it on well to find an opportunity for Gross who was unmarked down the left and his cross fell to Trossard but it deflected wide for another corner that was cleared. The additional minute brought no other incidents of note as the Blades went in with a rare lead.

Brighton looked to have changed to a 3-5-2 and from the start Moder played in Lallana who had an effort saved from Ramsdale with the shot being too close the Blades custodian. Brighton then won a corner after good work from Moder and then Gross. Brighton won three corners early in the second half and had one good chance after a lovely flick turned it round the corner from Welbeck to Maupay who took his shot early but Ramsdale did well to get down and save well.

Bissouma driving through saw the ball to Lallana but Bryan backing off was able to make a block for another corner. This led to another corner. From this the ball was not properly cleared and as Osborn went to hook clear, Moder came back and turned it in to seemingly level. VAR looked it and showed the Brighton man was in an offside position and the goal was ruled out. Brighton came again and a ball across saw Lallana head just wide.

It had been one way traffic for the opening 15 minutes of the 2nd half and the Blades had simply not started in the second half after a decent first half showing.

United were struggling to get any kind of possession but a rare break saw Osborn do well to play McGoldrick in but his curling shot was straight at the keeper Sanchez.

The game ticked over into the hour mark and Brewster had picked up a knock and had to go off as Burke came on.

Bissoma then was not pressured at all and took a shot just wide as Brighton were inching closer to a leveller.

Moder and Gross came off for Jahanbakhsh and Connolly for the visitors on 66 minutes as Brighton looked to put more attacking intent into the game. United won a corner after more great work from McGoldrick fed Osborn. Fleck’s corner was cleared and Brighton broke at pace and the cross from Lallana’s cross was superb but Welbeck was on the stretch and could only head wide.

Fleck did well to hold Brighton up and some decent football saw them get out for a spell in a half that Brighton had dominated in possession, territory and chances.

Brighton missed a great chance as Jahahbakhsh skinned Stevens and put over a great cross and Maupay scooped over right in front of goal. It was another great chance spurned.

The Blades failure to get hold of the ball or break up sustained pressure was meaning that Brighton were almost camped in the United half in a second half that was quite different to the first with only the final part/chance denying Brighton a chance to level.

However, the Blades broke with a great move and run down the right that saw Burke link with Baldock and put over a cross that Bogle could only toe poke into the keeper in the Blades only other chance on target outside of the goal.

Baldock was booked for timewasting on a throw before Brighton continued to prompt and probe with the Brighton defenders now playing inside the Blades half as United were going back further and further. Trossard’s cross was comfortable for Ramsdale after more good work from Jahahbakhsh.

Lundstram came on for Osborn with 10 minutes to go as United looked for fresh legs. Izquierdo replaced Trossard for Brighton. Jahanbakhsh then came inside and tried to curl one but it was well over.

As the game entered the 85th minute, Burke had a chance but after him and McGoldrick dallied with it, Burke gave it away and Brighton broke. Izquierdo took on a shot from 30 yards and it dipped and swerved but Ramsdale did well to push away for yet another Brighton corner.

Stevens cynically brought down his man but Jahanbakhsh who had committed the foul shot wastefully wide soon after.

The game ticked over to 90 minutes and there was four minutes of additional time. Brighton won yet another corner (their 12th!) and with Sanchez, the keeper up, they had everyone in the box. The keeper got his head to it but it did not worry United and Ramsdale caught the ensuing deflection. Brighton could not muster another chance and the Blades held on for their first win in 7 games and the first victory for the caretaker manager Heckingbottom.

United – I thought last week was much better even though we lost and we saw some improvements today. First half we had a few decent moves, competed and were organised. We looked ok. Brighton were not great at all and we profited from them playing out from the back constantly. We got the ball forward a bit earlier and this led to a goal. We had a few half chances and so did they and of course Ramsdale made a good save from a Maupay effort when they broke through too easy. It was a relatively even first half though and as much of the ball they had, we looked as dangerous, even if it was as much from their daft give aways than great play from us. Osborn was busy and Brewster and McGoldrick both did ok. I thought we were decent and even though maybe a tad fortunate to lead we were right in the game and after last week at Wolves when we were as good as an opponent, it had happened again.

2nd half was a different story. We dropped off completely. Brighton changed the formation and we did not react and got deeper and deeper. We never got hold of the ball and just seemed content to let them have it. This was fine if they were not getting through but they had a number of chances and with better finishing and worse keeping would have levelled or won. Maupay missed an absolute sitter and they had a number of other opportunities. Maybe not clear chances but they had a lot and seemed to have a corner every other minute. We could not get out at all and seemed to just look very tired and stuck in a defensive line up. We just did not move up the field as a unit. Heckingbottom took too long to change it and whilst they upped the tempo and their whole side moved up the field, we needed to change the formation or personnel. By the time we did, the game pattern was set and in any case the sub (Burke) made little difference as he kept giving it away also! We hung on in the end and got a win which at least was nice after seemingly losing every single week. A rare clean sheet too. Not sure we deserved the win on play/possession or chances and 2nd half Brighton did dominate but they did not score and for once in a tight game we came out on top.

The thing I liked though is we saw more commitment, pressing and desire. Shame it has come after we have gone down. Maybe taking Lundstram and Ampadu out, two players who will not be here has helped even if just psychologically in terms of how we have approached things. I do think we have seen improvements though as we have played two poor sides out of form also! I think next week albeit v a team without a manager (in Spurs) we may see a different result in terms of how we look? I might be wrong of course. It is good though that after a series of games where we simply folded like a pack of cards and looked completely out of our depth, we did not do that last week or tonight. We were very much in both games.

We have gone another week without any news on a new manager. You would guess things are going on behind the scenes and heard more rumours and odds shortening on Jokanovic of course so remains to be seen if something is imminent. Rob Green said the owner had said the new manager was watching but why he would know and I have not seen any interview or soundbites from the Prince in recent days? I do hope we have someone in before the end of the season even if just for a few games as I think they need to assess in person the bulk of the side in person and work with them before the summer break and they go away.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – Made a really good save from Maupay smothering it well. Made some big saves like this consistently after Xmas. He then actually kicked a bad one out but got away with it. Little else to do first half. Made a routine save from Lallana 2nd half. Made a better one from Maupay down to his left not long after. They had the VAR goal and a few other efforts just wide and he was getting little protection. Then made two other saves including one full length that was really good from the sub. Another good performance where he had too much to do again but a rare clean sheet.

Bogle 5/10 – Seemed to be miles off his man defensively I felt. They had loads of room down here first half and he seemed positionally to be too far up or over at times. We never really saw him attacking wise until that chance 2nd half when he snatched at it. I thought he again looked a bit slow to react to danger 2nd half and a few errant clearances also. Not his best game and after a good run in January he has been kind of in and out really.

Stevens 5.5/10 – Much better first half. Prob more a 7-7.5 first half. Showed decent touches on the ball, defended well and used it better. He even showed some of those runs where drifted in and out. Just seemed more sure footed first half and looked confident for once. Second half they had more of the ball and pushed us back. A few times they got at him. The sub skinned him once too easily when they should have scored. They then kept getting at him down that side and I felt he struggled 2nd half and was often left one on one. He got beat quite a bit and looked the tired and leggy Stevens we have seen all season. He struggled and the late booking summed up his 2nd half.

Bryan 6/10 – Thought he looked one of our weaker players to begin with. Always at full stretch whether defensively or going forward. Wasted a few crosses (one a bad ball from Fleck) and the defensively he was one who a few times gave it away. He got in to make an interception and then a block 2nd half which was better. He actually had a decent 2nd half and thought he made few errors and got in some good tackles.

Egan 7/10 – Solid enough really. Won headers and clearances but at times too keen to go and nick it also. Felt a bit sorry for him as it was land of the giants at corner with their centre backs and we did not have the same height so he did well a few times. Read a few balls well as they tried to come through the middle. Won some key headers near the end. Quite commanding.

Baldock 6/10 – Still not sure he is a centre back but I suppose needs must. A few poor passes early but then started to use it better and was well forward and linking well. He at times seemed to get down with some decent movement but stuck to his task. He then put in a decent cross 2nd half which led to the Bogle chance. Defensively he got his foot in a few times as they kept coming at us. Booked for timewasting though.

Norwood 6/10 – He was ok with the ball but then showed one of his biggest weakness as Bissouma ran though him. His set plays were a bit better (most beat the first man) and he got back to stop one other break to be fair. The second half saw the midfield not engage in the same way they had in the first as Brighton played at a faster tempo. Bissouma did run off us a few times and was not pressured. He had a number of runs and shots and was not checked. Did keep to a position and not going missing and they had to go wide a lot to be fair near the end rather than through the middle.

Osborn 6.5/10 – Really busy as he is most weeks. I thought on the ball he was better too first half. Just really busy and I thought he was closing down their defenders trying to bring it out and making it hard. Lovely early ball for the goal too. He was a bit slow to react on the VAR ruled out goal and got a bit lucky. He still carried on working hard and looking to help us up the field and thought he linked well with McGoldrick. Tired and came off with 10 minutes to go.

Fleck 6/10 – A few nice slalom runs early. He got on it and was neat enough. Thought he began the game well but then faded quite a bit. 2nd half they completely dominated midfield to begin with and he seemed to pull up at one bit. Then had a few good moments to turn out of trouble as the pressure increased on us. He was again a bit mixed with some decent bits but then just kicked it a few times too when he had more time. A better showing than he has shown though.

McGoldrick 8/10 – First half he drifted around and showed some lovely skill at times. The piece of skill on half way was ridiculous as he embarrassed his opponent twice. He did some really good bits of hold up actually. He was on the spot to score the goal. He was clumsy with the foot up but the yellow was right. Had a curling effort 2nd half and showed some other good pieces of skill to help us try and get up the pitch. Won a few headers defensively too. Just always looked our most likely outlet in the game and rightly got man of the match.

Brewster 6.5/10 – Looked lively from the start. Had a shot blocked and just looked stronger and more determined. He actually held off his man a few times. Always wanting to get his shot away. He was involved in challenging on the goal. He had a good determined run down the left and cross too. Looked like he wanted to make a difference. Second half saw none of the ball as they attacked and dominated for a spell. Then got a bit of a knock and came off.

Subs –

Burke - Dreadful. Ran into nowhere and lost it every time he had it. He just kept giving it away and made stupid decisions. Looked woeful.

Lundstram – Only had 10 minutes but did more than Burke and won a few interceptions and played it out calmly once near the end.

Manager Heckingbottom 7/10 – A win! Fair play to him as everyone has been calling him useless and out of his depth (me too!). Got a clean sheet and the last few weeks I felt we have seen more organisation and cohesiveness. Not sure we have been great but been better and at least competitive in games. 1st half we played some decent stuff actually. We did sit back 2nd half though and I felt he needed to change it earlier in terms of getting us up the field and some subs. We were fortunate to not concede really but then last week we were unlucky to lose a narrow game I suppose. Least he has a Premier League win and no one will ever take that away from him!

Brighton – They have probably had about the season I expected. Some felt they may go on and push on from last season now Potter has been here a bit longer. They signed experienced players like Welbeck and Lallana. They brought back White. Maybe they could have been a team I thought would be nearer mid table and I perhaps expected them to do better than a West Ham or Villa but the reality is they lack goals and consistency. There was this notion that Potter would turn them into a footballing side after some fans tired of Hughton’s more direct approach but not sure I have seen that in games I have seen. They still play with a side of giants at the back with often Dan Burn a wing back and still are not this crisp, passing side that many thought.

Potter has done ok but the reality is with all the money swirling around this league for most just staying up firstly had to be seen as a success. You may get a Leicester, Wolves or West Ham (us for a while last season) who threaten those giants at the top but overall, from 7 or 8 downwards it is about firstly consolidating your place at this top level. Due to the wretched form of us, West Brom and Fulham, they will stay up. In a normal season if sides at the bottom had been any cop, they may have got sucked into a real struggle but will be ok. I worry about them next season. Without further investment and they have spent a fair bit (wages of those experienced players will be huge) not sure how they push on. I actually can see them right in the mire next season as feel Norwich and Watford will do better than they did last time and there won’t be the garbage (us!) in the league again looking at it.

Tonight I thought first half they were ok but did not really hurt us apart from the one Maupay chance. At the back they were woeful trying to play it out and losing it time after time. Often it was not even our players robbing them or pressuring them. They just coughed it up even if not pressed! The goal was appalling as twice they gave it away. They nearly did it straight after the goal too. They did not show much goal threat either going forward save for that one chance. Bissouma ran through a few times and Lallana had a few nice touches but they looked a bit powder puff.

2nd half they were much better. They had a different shape and clearly had a rocket from Potter and came out looking more determined. They had a few efforts with Ramsdale making some decent but expected saves and then Ma

upay missed a sitter. The subs made a difference especially Jahanbakhsh who caused a number of problems but they were wasteful with the final ball or chance. I also thought to say they had a lot of corners and have a number of big lads; they took some shockers. In the end despite the commentators making out they were all over us, not sure it was quite the siege they made out really. They were pressing and we were hanging on but it was not as if Ramsdale was making saves every minute or were were making last ditch clearances. I thought they lacked quality when it mattered and in the end, they deserved something for possession and territory but equally maybe did not as they could not hurt us or take the half chances they had (Maupay missed two big ones of course). They still should be ok and stay up but I would be concerned about them next season.

Opponent Man of the Match – Two players stood out. The sub Jahanbakhsh was a real threat and ran at us and set up a few chances and had a few shots as he penetrated down the right a fair bit. He was a bit selfish though. The midfielder Bissouma is a great player. Strong, athletic and good on the ball. He carries it through and is just the sort of player we have missed. He was their best player I felt. Lallana did a few bits but also was not great when he had a few half chances.

Opponent Weak link – All the defenders were culpable and on the goal both Webster and Gross messed up I think. They kept trying to come out defence and losing it. Dunk looked more like Drunk first half. However, Maupay a player I quite like and wish we had signed (certainly with hindsight now he is far better than McBurnie – but of course maybe he did not want to come or wages were an issue) missed a one on one and then a sitter. So, he takes this award.

Referee/Officials – Kevin Friend. He was ok really. Not sure he got that much wrong and one of the better ones this season. Did not overreact to things and was just nice and sensible. The VAR one was right of course for the disallowed goal and the McGoldrick yellow they talked about was high but he did not go in maliciously and just caught him rather than going in hard. The main issue was the ridiculous foul throws (at least 3 taken on the left by Moder I think before they penalised someone on the right hand side). They were hilarious.

Coverage – Even bringing out the Z list co commentators. Literally never heard Rob Green before do a game so not sure where he was plucked from? It was a dire game and him and Crocker were trying to hype it up somewhat at times but my eyes told me and everyone else I am sure, that it was a bit of a snore fest!

The new manager watching comment was a bit odd. At first I thought it was just regurgitating what Heckingbottom had said, when he first took charge. Then McGoldrick said it post match, so maybe an appointment is imminent 🤷🏻‍♂️

The new manager watching comment was a bit odd. At first I thought it was just regurgitating what Heckingbottom had said, when he first took charge. Then McGoldrick said it post match, so maybe an appointment is imminent 🤷🏻‍♂️
I thought the exact same thing after Goldie said it.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – Made a really good save from Maupay smothering it well. Made some big saves like this consistently after Xmas. He then actually kicked a bad one out but got away with it. Little else to do first half. Made a routine save from Lallana 2nd half. Made a better one from Maupay down to his left not long after. They had the VAR goal and a few other efforts just wide and he was getting little protection. Then made two other saves including one full length that was really good from the sub. Another good performance where he had too much to do again but a rare clean sheet.

Bogle 5/10 – Seemed to be miles off his man defensively I felt. They had loads of room down here first half and he seemed positionally to be too far up or over at times. We never really saw him attacking wise until that chance 2nd half when he snatched at it. I thought he again looked a bit slow to react to danger 2nd half and a few errant clearances also. Not his best game and after a good run in January he has been kind of in and out really.

Stevens 5.5/10 – Much better first half. Prob more a 7-7.5 first half. Showed decent touches on the ball, defended well and used it better. He even showed some of those runs where drifted in and out. Just seemed more sure footed first half and looked confident for once. Second half they had more of the ball and pushed us back. A few times they got at him. The sub skinned him once too easily when they should have scored. They then kept getting at him down that side and I felt he struggled 2nd half and was often left one on one. He got beat quite a bit and looked the tired and leggy Stevens we have seen all season. He struggled and the late booking summed up his 2nd half.

Bryan 6/10 – Thought he looked one of our weaker players to begin with. Always at full stretch whether defensively or going forward. Wasted a few crosses (one a bad ball from Fleck) and the defensively he was one who a few times gave it away. He got in to make an interception and then a block 2nd half which was better. He actually had a decent 2nd half and thought he made few errors and got in some good tackles.

Egan 7/10 – Solid enough really. Won headers and clearances but at times too keen to go and nick it also. Felt a bit sorry for him as it was land of the giants at corner with their centre backs and we did not have the same height so he did well a few times. Read a few balls well as they tried to come through the middle. Won some key headers near the end. Quite commanding.

Baldock 6/10 – Still not sure he is a centre back but I suppose needs must. A few poor passes early but then started to use it better and was well forward and linking well. He at times seemed to get down with some decent movement but stuck to his task. He then put in a decent cross 2nd half which led to the Bogle chance. Defensively he got his foot in a few times as they kept coming at us. Booked for timewasting though.

Norwood 6/10 – He was ok with the ball but then showed one of his biggest weakness as Bissouma ran though him. His set plays were a bit better (most beat the first man) and he got back to stop one other break to be fair. The second half saw the midfield not engage in the same way they had in the first as Brighton played at a faster tempo. Bissouma did run off us a few times and was not pressured. He had a number of runs and shots and was not checked. Did keep to a position and not going missing and they had to go wide a lot to be fair near the end rather than through the middle.

Osborn 6.5/10 – Really busy as he is most weeks. I thought on the ball he was better too first half. Just really busy and I thought he was closing down their defenders trying to bring it out and making it hard. Lovely early ball for the goal too. He was a bit slow to react on the VAR ruled out goal and got a bit lucky. He still carried on working hard and looking to help us up the field and thought he linked well with McGoldrick. Tired and came off with 10 minutes to go.

Fleck 6/10 – A few nice slalom runs early. He got on it and was neat enough. Thought he began the game well but then faded quite a bit. 2nd half they completely dominated midfield to begin with and he seemed to pull up at one bit. Then had a few good moments to turn out of trouble as the pressure increased on us. He was again a bit mixed with some decent bits but then just kicked it a few times too when he had more time. A better showing than he has shown though.

McGoldrick 8/10 – First half he drifted around and showed some lovely skill at times. The piece of skill on half way was ridiculous as he embarrassed his opponent twice. He did some really good bits of hold up actually. He was on the spot to score the goal. He was clumsy with the foot up but the yellow was right. Had a curling effort 2nd half and showed some other good pieces of skill to help us try and get up the pitch. Won a few headers defensively too. Just always looked our most likely outlet in the game and rightly got man of the match.

Brewster 6.5/10 – Looked lively from the start. Had a shot blocked and just looked stronger and more determined. He actually held off his man a few times. Always wanting to get his shot away. He was involved in challenging on the goal. He had a good determined run down the left and cross too. Looked like he wanted to make a difference. Second half saw none of the ball as they attacked and dominated for a spell. Then got a bit of a knock and came off.

Subs –

Burke - Dreadful. Ran into nowhere and lost it every time he had it. He just kept giving it away and made stupid decisions. Looked woeful.

Lundstram – Only had 10 minutes but did more than Burke and won a few interceptions and played it out calmly once near the end.

Manager Heckingbottom 7/10 – A win! Fair play to him as everyone has been calling him useless and out of his depth (me too!). Got a clean sheet and the last few weeks I felt we have seen more organisation and cohesiveness. Not sure we have been great but been better and at least competitive in games. 1st half we played some decent stuff actually. We did sit back 2nd half though and I felt he needed to change it earlier in terms of getting us up the field and some subs. We were fortunate to not concede really but then last week we were unlucky to lose a narrow game I suppose. Least he has a Premier League win and no one will ever take that away from him!

Brighton – They have probably had about the season I expected. Some felt they may go on and push on from last season now Potter has been here a bit longer. They signed experienced players like Welbeck and Lallana. They brought back White. Maybe they could have been a team I thought would be nearer mid table and I perhaps expected them to do better than a West Ham or Villa but the reality is they lack goals and consistency. There was this notion that Potter would turn them into a footballing side after some fans tired of Hughton’s more direct approach but not sure I have seen that in games I have seen. They still play with a side of giants at the back with often Dan Burn a wing back and still are not this crisp, passing side that many thought.

Potter has done ok but the reality is with all the money swirling around this league for most just staying up firstly had to be seen as a success. You may get a Leicester, Wolves or West Ham (us for a while last season) who threaten those giants at the top but overall, from 7 or 8 downwards it is about firstly consolidating your place at this top level. Due to the wretched form of us, West Brom and Fulham, they will stay up. In a normal season if sides at the bottom had been any cop, they may have got sucked into a real struggle but will be ok. I worry about them next season. Without further investment and they have spent a fair bit (wages of those experienced players will be huge) not sure how they push on. I actually can see them right in the mire next season as feel Norwich and Watford will do better than they did last time and there won’t be the garbage (us!) in the league again looking at it.

Tonight I thought first half they were ok but did not really hurt us apart from the one Maupay chance. At the back they were woeful trying to play it out and losing it time after time. Often it was not even our players robbing them or pressuring them. They just coughed it up even if not pressed! The goal was appalling as twice they gave it away. They nearly did it straight after the goal too. They did not show much goal threat either going forward save for that one chance. Bissouma ran through a few times and Lallana had a few nice touches but they looked a bit powder puff.

2nd half they were much better. They had a different shape and clearly had a rocket from Potter and came out looking more determined. They had a few efforts with Ramsdale making some decent but expected saves and then Ma

upay missed a sitter. The subs made a difference especially Jahanbakhsh who caused a number of problems but they were wasteful with the final ball or chance. I also thought to say they had a lot of corners and have a number of big lads; they took some shockers. In the end despite the commentators making out they were all over us, not sure it was quite the siege they made out really. They were pressing and we were hanging on but it was not as if Ramsdale was making saves every minute or were were making last ditch clearances. I thought they lacked quality when it mattered and in the end, they deserved something for possession and territory but equally maybe did not as they could not hurt us or take the half chances they had (Maupay missed two big ones of course). They still should be ok and stay up but I would be concerned about them next season.

Opponent Man of the Match – Two players stood out. The sub Jahanbakhsh was a real threat and ran at us and set up a few chances and had a few shots as he penetrated down the right a fair bit. He was a bit selfish though. The midfielder Bissouma is a great player. Strong, athletic and good on the ball. He carries it through and is just the sort of player we have missed. He was their best player I felt. Lallana did a few bits but also was not great when he had a few half chances.

Opponent Weak link – All the defenders were culpable and on the goal both Webster and Gross messed up I think. They kept trying to come out defence and losing it. Dunk looked more like Drunk first half. However, Maupay a player I quite like and wish we had signed (certainly with hindsight now he is far better than McBurnie – but of course maybe he did not want to come or wages were an issue) missed a one on one and then a sitter. So, he takes this award.

Referee/Officials – Kevin Friend. He was ok really. Not sure he got that much wrong and one of the better ones this season. Did not overreact to things and was just nice and sensible. The VAR one was right of course for the disallowed goal and the McGoldrick yellow they talked about was high but he did not go in maliciously and just caught him rather than going in hard. The main issue was the ridiculous foul throws (at least 3 taken on the left by Moder I think before they penalised someone on the right hand side). They were hilarious.

Coverage – Even bringing out the Z list co commentators. Literally never heard Rob Green before do a game so not sure where he was plucked from? It was a dire game and him and Crocker were trying to hype it up somewhat at times but my eyes told me and everyone else I am sure, that it was a bit of

I'd be a liitle less generous to Didzy and more to Osbourn, but other than that pretty much spot on. I thought Stevens tired badly but he was really left esposed. Someone should have been helping him.

Brilliant report Deadbat , thanks. I also think Osborn deserved more, him and McGoldrick were great to watch first half. The commentators on whatever stream I was watching said repeatedly they thought Ozzie was our best player and were really surprised he was coming off. Although Brewster wasn't dreadful I still found him really disappointing, just hoping he'll keep on improving with a run of starts.

Ah, the mysteries of DB’s marking system. We said on the podcast that Osborn was our third best player in what was an alright team performance (and a good one first half), then he goes and gives him 6.5

Burke - not only was he dreadful but seemed to put no effort in to close Brighton players down when they had the ball. There was Didsy running his nuts off doing the closing down for 94 minutes. Burke came on for last 10 minutes and put no effort in at all just sauntered around.
I thought earilier in the season he looked potentially quite good. Speed, power and strong on the ball plus reasonable work rate. Seems to have gone downhill and can’t see him even doing it in the Championship.

Watched the game on Sky and one of the things I noticed was that Ollie Norwood and the ref seemed to be chatting and laughing a lot, not sure if that helped us with his decisions, or whether Norwood does that in most games and I have just never seen it.

I was disappointed with Burke, he didn't impose himself on the game at all. In early appearances, when you saw him on the touchline waiting to come on, you knew there would be fireworks. He looks like a hard case, he is built like a boxer and is rapid, but we saw nothing yesterday.

Not our best game, but I'll take a scrappy three points every time.

Good report DB . Thanks for your efforts throughout this abysmal season.
Personally, I'd swap Stevens and Bryan's marks. I thought Stevens really was back to his old form in the first half, linking up well with those around him. I agree, he struggled a bit under pressure later in the game. For me, whilst Bryan shows potential, his decision making was very poor. Probably a better wing back than centre back.

I thought that when Didzy said "there's a new manager watching somewhere" very cryptic.

Watched the game and it was painful but Didzy got the winner and I have to say Ramsdale was immense and so were the defence, we were under cosh all 2nd half as for that moaning French twat Maupay glad we never got him. I thought that Brewster played well and didn't look happy at coming off, mind you his replacement Burke was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

In a normal season that would be a win ground out with a below par performance. Sadly this season that was a typical performance although to their credit we defended well without making stupid mistakes. Ramsdale did what he had to when they did get through and for once we took our chance when it came. Despite this all our weaknesses were still there but Brighton didn't capitalise on them. Thought we were actually better with the ball last week against Wolves and the midfield still couldn't cope once they stepped it up. Happy with the win however and if we can get get past 20 points would settle for that. Need to get 4 points from the last two home games to achieve this as I cannot see us getting anything from the 3 away games.

I will say only this, Deadbat - having listened to two Blades podcasts this week where some of those pontificating on our fortunes can’t actually be arsed to watch the games, I am pleased that we won and you were rewarded for your perseverance with these excellent reports.

thanks for the report.

Felt a bit sorry for Brewster at times him and Didzy looked on a different planet there were several times Brewster was in a better position unmarked yet Didzy shot. Also Didzy's yellow card was an absolute disgrace.

Just watched MOTD just now dont know whether anyone picked up on it Didzy: "we are playing for our futures now, we are playing for our shirts" !

Brewster came off at right time as he was clearly injured, just hope it doesnt rule him out for rest of season!

Just a few points I think playing Osborn in mid field has improved us. It is noticeable that both Norwood and Fleck have played a lot better since he has started there. I dont like to scapegoat, but with Lundstram it feels like we are playing with someone with their foot on the brake

Re Byrne it sounds like J'OC wont be starting any time soon, I think we should keep him he will be fine in the championship

We def need to strengthen midfield but having watched Barnsley v Rovram yesterday, all i can say is Mowatt was anonymous yesterday the Rotherham midfield steam rolled them

Thanks DB, good report.
Rammy - immense!
I think Osborn will be "a player" for us in the Champ'
Didzy is such a joy to watch.
Burke - heavens above!!

You could see they were all playing for a place next season - hopefully the new manager will see through all that crap.

Good point about the foul throws Deadbat - I noticed them too. Something refs need to toughen up on I think.
Also - did I see Maupay call the ref a "fucking prick" at one point?

Yep, the Sky TV cameras picked that up, I turned to the Mrs and said "surely he won't get away with that?", but he did.

The little French twat.

Good point about the foul throws Deadbat - I noticed them too. Something refs need to toughen up on I think.
Also - did I see Maupay call the ref a "fucking prick" at one point?
I saw Maupay mouthing at the ref and thought the ref is going to give him a card but sadly he didn't, I'm so glad we didn't sign that moaning French twat.

Ratings:

Subs –

Coverage – Even bringing out the Z list co commentators. Literally never heard Rob Green before do a game so not sure where he was plucked from? It was a dire game and him and Crocker were trying to hype it up somewhat at times but my eyes told me and everyone else I am sure, that it was a bit of a snore fest!
I'd mark Osborn a touch higher, Stevens and Fleck were overall much better than of late.
Norwood made is usual mistake at the start of the second half, which we were lucky to get away with.
I thought Bogle was poor, I've been really disappointed with him after his good start.
I'd have left Brewster on, I think Hecky was ready to sub him before he got that knock. I kinda understand going for pace with the match situation, but Burke is just useless.
Didzy good again but frustrating when he turns back, rather than go forwards. Second half he had a great opportunity to put Brewster in, but turned back - you could see Brewsters annoyance.
Oh for a player like Bissouma, great signing by them but there's no way he'll still with them next season.

I will say only this, Deadbat - having listened to two Blades podcasts this week where some of those pontificating on our fortunes can’t actually be arsed to watch the games, I am pleased that we won and you were rewarded for your perseverance with these excellent reports.
So you’re saying we still have to watch all the matches? Bah.

“Tufty Club: watching the games, so you don’t have to”

Ah, the mysteries of DB’s marking system. We said on the podcast that Osborn was our third best player in what was an alright team performance (and a good one first half), then he goes and gives him 6.5

McGoldrick then Ramsdale and then either Egan or Osborn. Not sure Egan did much wrong at all. Osborn was busy but was he better than a 6.5? Other than the cross which went to an opponent (dangerous) not sure he did anything that was great. He just worked hard and did ok things. Justifying fully a 6.5/10 ;)

So you’re saying we still have to watch all the matches? Bah.
On a semi-serious note, you do if you want to hold people's attention. Stating in the first 2 minutes of a pod - as others did this week - that you didn't watch the game made me think "then why am I bothering to listen?".

Oh, whilst (if?) I have your attention, a word to the wise: go in the ballot for the Burnley game and, if you are lucky enough to get a ticket, go to the game. Put all of this "it won't be the same" to one side. It's live football played by your team. You've missed it. You'll enjoy it however many people are there.

(Plus it'll be a hell of a long time before you next see us play in the Premier League).

On a semi-serious note, you do if you want to hold people's attention. Stating in the first 2 minutes of a pod - as others did this week - that you didn't watch the game made me think "then why am I bothering to listen?".

Oh, whilst (if?) I have your attention, a word to the wise: go in the ballot for the Burnley game and, if you are lucky enough to get a ticket, go to the game. Put all of this "it won't be the same" to one side. It's live football played by your team. You've missed it. You'll enjoy it however many people are there.

(Plus it'll be a hell of a long time before you next see us play in the Premier League).
Twelve years, probably.

I sort of agree on your reasons, but the balance is tipped by my lack of vaccination and fact that the wife is slightly vulnerable but hasn’t been offered it either. Even though the risk is hopefully very small, it’s still not really worth gambling against Matt Lowton in an empty stadium.

Back
Top Bottom