United 0 Birmingham 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ratings:

Ramsdale 6/10 – Had little to do really. No chance with the header due to poor defending although seen some say he was static but it was well placed and went down and in – it would have took some save! Played out with his feet a lot. Their other chances were misses from Birmingham. One punch away and then one good kick that nearly got Brewster in.

Baldock 5/10 – He got the start over Bogle but continued his so-so form from last season. Defensively he gave men way too much time and did not stop the cross for the goal (his man). Second half constantly he was nowhere to be seen when the ball came over to that side. Attacking wise he did get forward well with one shot blocked first half and then second half he was in a really advanced area but I felt took too many touches and not once did a positive cross come in or did, he drive into the box. He is too hesitant to do things attacking wise. I think Bogle may come in for him over time as he has to offer more offensively.

Osborn 3.5/10 – Poor match. Badly at fault for the goal as he switched off and did not see the run or even put a challenge in as the player scored rather easily. Him and Robinson struggled at times as they attacked a fair bit down this side and won corners or loose bits from them not being alert. He then had a woeful shot miles over. He repeated this second half at the Kop end. Will not use his right foot at all. He did improve a bit defensively but often just kicked it out when he had it. One good cross near the end was one of the few decent moments in a game he did not really press a claim to be our regular left back. Not sure he is a defender or orthodox left back at all as shown tonight.

Robinson 4/10 – Started the game in hesitant fashion. He often loses 50-50 and for a biggish lad is quite weak. Lacks pace too. He seemed to get the start over Basham just as he is left footed. I would rather Bash play myself. Or ideally a new left sided centre back. Him and Robinson struggled when players ran at them and I worried every time it went down that channel. 2nd half did a bit better but when they had chances he was often nowhere to be seen.

Egan 6/10 – Steady-ish game against a tough centre forward who wins a lot of headers. Our best defender and at least won a few or made a few blocks. Not sure the midfield helped him as they came giving it him in daft areas. He is not a ball player and that might be a worry if the manager wants us to play out of the back. Should be a solid defender at this level but needs some help in terms of physicality as there will be lots of teams like Birmingham that get crosses/corners/throws into the box. We lack any kind of presence outside of him (Berge is big but awful in the air).

Norwood 4.5/10 – Carried on from last season really. Safe passing, a few ok diagonals but all so predictable and when pressed he just moved it back as lacks pace/drive to carry it forward. Ended up often playing almost as a centre back when in possession. His set plays were dreadful all night and wasted a number of corners/free kicks. We had so much of the ball but it was so slow and deliberate. His passing stats may be high but they were all in our half or just cross field passes. He was better than Fleck but that is all I can say.

Fleck 3.5/10 – Thought he was largely anonymous. One good tackle early on where he moved it on apart, not sure he did anything of note all game really. Nearly got in from one Mousset cross but would have been better using his right foot maybe as it came in? After this not sure I saw him at all and we never went through midfield. It was knocked around defence and then normally when no one showed or they realised they could not go through the middle, they just knocked it down the line. He looked like he had no idea where he was meant to be or where he was meant to be playing?

Berge 7/10 – Some may say he was better – some may saw he was worse. I will start with the positive – second half he made 2 or 3 great driving runs and they had to chop him down or wrestle him back. Great running and strength. He was our main threat at getting forward or possibly getting a chance second half. Can glide across the deck and at times quick feet and lovely touch. When he shows these bits of quality you think wow – he is way too good for us. The negatives, first half he was non existent really and I also thought he took too long at times – twice they robbed him second half where he dithered and they nearly scored on both occasions. Also, for all his quality we never see any end product. Granted they felled him and stopped him by illegal means but I also think on other occasions he does not know when to release it or when he does there is never that moment of quality, a shot, cross or pass that leads to a clear chance. It is all stuff that does not hurt teams. Maybe that is harsh but the flashes we see are too infrequent and actually rarely leads to us scoring or creating things. He certainly has some class of course and has all the attributes to play for a better team than us – I also felt he played within himself tonight (which shows how good he is but also maybe shows that he may not want to get injured too!). Undoubtedly our best player though and not sure anyone else really stood out.

McGoldrick 5/10 – Mixed bag for me but he has had better games for sure and not sure he offered much more than the other strikers albeit all had to come searching for the ball - the same as last season. Some moments of class where he got on and came inside and tried to get it moving but then other moments when he sort of took too long or was predictable. Had our only real efforts of note 2nd half – the shot at the keeper and the shot wide – before a late poor one wide. He kept going and tried to link things but unsure he knew his role (like many others) at this stage.

Burke 5/10 – Usual promise where he shows his pace and running but often runs out of play or into men. He had a decent shot of course that hit the post (good effort) and then another moment where he showed neat skill to drift inside and run at the defence but then took too long. Second half he sort of ran out of steam and with little service he did not get in or behind at all. I am not sure he was close to our worst player and felt the strikers were not given much service really.

Mousset 5/10 – Started enthusiastically and first half he was trying to get on the ball but it came forward too slowly and he started to become less involved. He got down the wings a few times and had a few cross shots or balls across (the one to Fleck where he got down the wing and crossed was decent) but he cannot stay fit and again he hobbled off – will he be out for weeks/months now. It seemed completely innocuous again this one as he just seemed to slip and then was holding his hamstring? Maybe it was unfortunate but happens too often and he has abysmal conditioning for a pro footballer.

Subs –

Brewster 6/10 – I actually thought he did a few ok things- one run earlier where he showed some pace and won a corner as he came down the side and then another where he got a player booked after getting onto a Ramsdale kick. Bit petulant to get booked for a late tackle. He did not do much in the closing stages but seemed to have to keep moving positions due to the changes. He was ok today and felt showed a bit of life but as with all our strikers if we do not get if into the box or play them passes in then they will not score many – that will be the same at this level.

Sharp – Few bits and pieces of link play but not really anything of note chances wise and had to go hunting outside the box. Near the end I looked and we had no one in the box as we had it half way almost, but that was because the strikers naturally came back as the ball kept being passed back time after time.

McBurnie – As above but with less time really. Nearly got on the end of one late cross.

Jokanovic 4/10 – A defeat at home to a side that nearly went down is not the start any relegated side from the Premier League wanted. Also, albeit with limited preparation not sure that the players got how he wants us to play. It seemed confusing to the naked eye. Sure, we kept it well but we never went forward and eventually it ended up being a ball down the wings after 10-15 passes going nowhere. Near the end him and the coaching staff were furious when we were hitting it long so fans wanting this approach better get used to how it is going to be. He will not change how he wants to play I do not think and it will still be this possession stuff but to win games, you have to create chances and to create chances you have to get the ball in the box. I am not sure we have the players to move it through the thirds or even down the wings, like Fulham did. Not that they are far inferior (think we do have talent) but they lack the pace and mobility to be able to break presses. Teams will just sit in and sit back and ask us to break them down. Today we could not do that at all. It is very early as I say and we need to wait to properly assess but fans surely want excitement and goals and attacking football. Today we did not see any of that really and whatever way he plays he has to find a way to get chances. To play a side that were no great shakes and not make the keeper make a save all game is poor however you dress it up.

Birmingham – Bowyer did a great job in keeping them up and improved them quite dramatically in a short spell last season. He had done pretty well at Charlton in difficult financial circumstances and is well thought of at St Andrews from his playing career. He has made some decent signings this summer and quietly improved them to the extent that I cannot see them struggling and indeed if they get a decent start may even push for the upper places (top 6). They have a nice blend of experience and youth and some forward players that are always a handful at this level.

They have signed well from the league above with Premier League loans like Sarkic (Wolves), Castillo (Chelsea), Chong (Man Utd) and Sanderson (Wolves).

Today they actually started well and forced us back early. They got a goal and then defended pretty well and sadly quite comfortably. Had a few let offs with the shot off the post and the penalty but will say they had chances to win 2-3-0 in the end too with the clear misses. They will say that they protected the keeper, restricted us completely and scored a good goal so will argue it was a deserved win despite having little of the ball. They were cynical and dirty in the way they stopped Berge, time wasted and did the little niggly things but that is up to the referee and he was quite weak all game in this regard.

Opponent Man of the Match – The match winner Colin. Great headed goal where he was well forward – and then made a key block on Fleck. In terms of others, Jutkiewitz won a lot of headers and is always a handful. He wins knock downs and holds the ball up well. The lad Chong was decent and got into some good areas too.

Opponent Weak link – I thought Hogan was ineffectual and missed a big chance. The lad Woods I used to rave about but he never got on the ball and was slow and also dirty in the way he kept bringing men down.

Referee/Officials –Tim Robinson. Weak. Weak. Weak. The game was stop start and he never kept up with play either. You could argue he had no choice but to only yellow card the Brum players for the Berge fouls (they spread them around) but I also thought he was poor in that they kept fouling him and fouling him and he was offered little protection with even little pulls/kicks on him even away from the cynical haul backs. He never stopped the constant rolling around and time wasting either. Also made up his own rule as he sprayed a line near Brewster on a throw. You can stand right near the line if you want to? This was odd. He played 6 minutes at the end and it actually should have been more. Birmingham were a bit of a side in Bowyer’s image, niggly and irritating but Robinson and his officials kind of let them get away with it.

The main change is of course no VAR but how long will it be before people bemoan a decision if we ‘had VAR!’ Well, we got one today with the handball from the Fleck shot and handball. I do feel it will offer more benefits than not but still will mean we get some bad decisions going for and against us. The main fact is we can celebrate goals again is huge and the spontaneity of football can kind of return. Of course, we have to score first!

Crowd / Match Day experience – Felt very strange to be back. In some ways seemed longer than a year and a half but in other ways not that long. Working in education I have been surrounded by people (no choice) for most of the time since covid hit (save for the two big lockdowns) so was less nervous than I might have been and others may have been going into large crowds. I have been surrounded by 200 kids on busy corridors so the Lane was not really any different. I have kind of started to get on with things anyway (being sensible still due to my wife’s condition/also today my uncle who goes has had cancer – so you just want to be safe for those around you). It was an interesting experience attending today though.

I was worried about the masks things – not in my own choice to wear as I went in (I opted to wear in the concourse and toilets for the minute I was down there but not in my seats) but how people would react to those wearing after personal experience at the cricket of being shouted at for having a mask on. I did not hear anyone criticised for the few that chose to wear but as I say I kind of moved in quickly. The concourses were jammed with people (just like before really) so I tried not to hand around. I do feel that people would surely be better just staying in their seats to chat – suppose not everyone sits together but as my Uncle remarked – recovering from cancer and also being careful – he said it was not great in terms of the social mixing down in the concourse – not sure what the answer is – suppose those that go just have to deal with the risks.

I was also concerned about the knee and the possible reaction from fans to it but Gary Sinclair maybe wisely put the GCB song on as the players went down so you could not tell any negative reaction. Probably played a blinder here actually! Sad if or the club had to do this though for fear of anything negative.

As for the crowd, it was bigger than I anticipated. Birmingham brought a full allocation despite saying they were appalled at the prices (rightly as it is way too much but they have charged a similar amount for Stoke next week I see?) but we have heard that before with Blades fans (Bolton in League One) and normally first day it will always get filled. There were more walk up (again prices/TV/holiday season thought would limit these) than I anticipated but again it is the first chance to go for a long time in normal-ish circumstances. I do wonder if the novelty and excitement may wear up and, in a month, or so it will be mid 25k at most. A lot of away teams may not bring more than 1,200 most weeks – we do not have the big clubs we had at this level last time and not many local ones either.

In terms of support, the manager had been eagerly awaiting the noise and a full house and the fact it is under the lights always adds to the atmosphere. It started noisy and loud but actually I felt quite quickly became fairly quiet and the Birmingham fans were excellent. I heard them much more than ours for much of the game from the middle of the South Stand (where I sit). The United fans tried to be encouraging for spells 2nd half but it was a bit flat in the end as we struggled to create much at all – so do not blame the fans totally if nothing was happening. Hopefully we may see some actually goalmouth action and chances (and goals) soon to bring the noise up!
Brilliant to have this up and runing again - what do you do in Education Deadbat? Follow mw on twitter ChrisDysonHT

Back
Top Bottom