Outgoing? Under 23s' to Chesterfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Danetheblade

Reaction score

It seems John Pemberton has enquired with Wilder about the availability to some of the youngsters - https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...ng-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-1368461

Not too sure if any are ready for non league football. Maybe Ball_Sup (Phil) could give us a clue as to who's there or there abouts.

Definitely think it'd be a good idea (providing they're ready for it)
I'm afraid I'm not really up to saying who is ready for non-league football. I don't see enough of it to judge. However, it's easier for me to talk about the "more advanced players".
Leaving aside those already on loans. There is some doubt about the situations of Jake Eastwood who was recalled from Scunthorpe United recently, David Parkhouse about whom there is much speculation but officially he's finished his loan at Derry City, Jordan Doherty who has returned from Tampa Bay and Oli Greaves who was on loan at Barrow, but has been turning up in our U23s again in recent weeks.
There is not much point Parkhouse & Eastwood & Doherty playing U23 football. They need to be loaned or otherwise shipped out. So, they're possible for Chesterfield. Through his development, I have always liked Greaves. But, of course I don't know how he's shaped up at Barrow. But, he'd be a possibility for Chesterfield.
Then that leaves the "not yet been on loaners". Of whom the most advanced is Reece York. Maybe he'd be worth a look for Chesterfield. Callum Gribbin was brought in last chance saloon after being in Manchester United's system. Although it'd be revolving door, maybe he could be loaned out.
How's that sound?

I'm afraid I'm not really up to saying who is ready for non-league football. I don't see enough of it to judge. However, it's easier for me to talk about the "more advanced players".
Leaving aside those already on loans. There is some doubt about the situations of Jake Eastwood who was recalled from Scunthorpe United recently, David Parkhouse about whom there is much speculation but officially he's finished his loan at Derry City, Jordan Doherty who has returned from Tampa Bay and Oli Greaves who was on loan at Barrow, but has been turning up in our U23s again in recent weeks.
There is not much point Parkhouse & Eastwood & Doherty playing U23 football. They need to be loaned or otherwise shipped out. So, they're possible for Chesterfield. Through his development, I have always liked Greaves. But, of course I don't know how he's shaped up at Barrow. But, he'd be a possibility for Chesterfield.
Then that leaves the "not yet been on loaners". Of whom the most advanced is Reece York. Maybe he'd be worth a look for Chesterfield. Callum Gribbin was brought in last chance saloon after being in Manchester United's system. Although it'd be revolving door, maybe he could be loaned out.
How's that sound?

I work in Grimsby and someone I know knows Reece and when he signed for us he said that Reece was still wanted by Fulham and that he is a good prospect. Also supposed to be a really down to earth lad, which is always nice to hear. I thought Reece York might go out this season on loan to be honest, as you say, many of the lads need to be playing first team football like some of the under 23's are doing now.

How's that sound?
Sounds tip top. Guessing none are close to even bit part players in the first team?

I work in Grimsby and someone I know knows Reece and when he signed for us he said that Reece was still wanted by Fulham and that he is a good prospect. Also supposed to be a really down to earth lad, which is always nice to hear. I thought Reece York might go out this season on loan to be honest, as you say, many of the lads need to be playing first team football like some of the under 23's are doing now.
Reece helped get the Carrier Bag Firm names on the guest list when the U18s played a strictly behind closed doors away league game. So, we are forever in his debt. He is a good footballer. Non stop engine. Versatile. Committed, but not in a throbbing red vein way, just always putting the effort in & leading by example. Calm & level headed. Very unlikely to get embroiled in some bollocks. Started scoring more goals. Does a bit of coaching & organising on the pitch. His family sometimes source the Teamsheets for the CBF if we can't make a game. There is a lot to like. Very, very difficult for kids to break through at our level. So, I won't go mad. I think he's got a "Ben Whiteman" shot at a career in league football. He'll get a loan shot soon I feel.

Sounds tip top. Guessing none are close to even bit part players in the first team?
Not close. A lot of youngsters. A big squad in front of them. Transition as our new Academy coaching structure beds in. Not close.

I'd have thought Tyler Smith might have been on the fringes. Looks a good prospect.
But, he'd need to get ahead of Mousset, McGoldrick, Sharp, McBurnie, Robinson - and, if we've got injuries & suspensions, Leon would get in ahead of Tyler. That's the queue isn't it?

But, he'd need to get ahead of Mousset, McGoldrick, Sharp, McBurnie, Robinson - and, if we've got injuries & suspensions, Leon would get in ahead of Tyler. That's the queue isn't it?
Very true, however it seems Clarke will soon be on his way. Sure he needs to progress on loan massively. However, I'm sure he's probably the closest youth prospect to the first team (be it in cameos or cup games)

Parkhouse to Chesterfield he might help them stay up

I just messaged my Barrow supporting friend and she has sent back the following
'Hmmmm not really!! Didn’t get many starts, was okay coming off the bench but nothing groundbreaking. He’d have been good for us a couple of seasons ago, but with our current squad he just wasn’t good enough!'

She has been very positive about players who they have loaned in the past.

At least Pemberton knows how to handle the younger lads and they’ll like to play proper football. And I’m sure him and Wilder know each other fairly well. Probably not a bad option in fairness.

I just messaged my Barrow supporting friend and she has sent back the following
'Hmmmm not really!! Didn’t get many starts, was okay coming off the bench but nothing groundbreaking. He’d have been good for us a couple of seasons ago, but with our current squad he just wasn’t good enough!'

She has been very positive about players who they have loaned in the past.

Spending money on kids who aren't good enough to play for Barrow is madness, just so the one possible kid who might be a pro can have a game of football.

Spend it up front on the first team.

Spending money on kids who aren't good enough to play for Barrow is madness, just so the one possible kid who might be a pro can have a game of football.

I'm going to blow your mind.......
At one stage of his development Messi wasn't good enough to play for Barrow.

Yeah but when that one player turns out to be worth £10m + it’s worth it.
Since Wilder took over we’ve had (a minimum of) £11.5m for Brooks, £1.75m for DCL, £1m for Ramsdale and nearly £10m add ons from Walker and Maguire resales.

Yeah but when that one player turns out to be worth £10m + it’s worth it.
Since Wilder took over we’ve had (a minimum of) £11.5m for Brooks, £1.75m for DCL, £1m for Ramsdale and nearly £10m add ons from Walker and Maguire resales.

On the players side:

The statistics are really sobering. Out of all the boys who enter an academy at the age of 9, less than half of 1% make it or a make a living from the game either.
The most damning statistic of all is only 180 of the 1.5 million players who are playing
organised youth football in England at any one time will make it as a Premier League pro.
That's a success rate of 0.012%.
Pretty much the sort of chances of you being hit by a meteorite on your way home.

On the clubs side, outlay for:

Player recruitment - remember you need two teams just so the 0.012% can have a game.
Coach Recruitment
All the above need paying
Referee fees
Travel and hotels
League fees
Equipment and kit
Filming of training
Facility maintenance
Tournament entry fees

Not much left when that lots forked out for.

On the players side:

The statistics are really sobering. Out of all the boys who enter an academy at the age of 9, less than half of 1% make it or a make a living from the game either.
The most damning statistic of all is only 180 of the 1.5 million players who are playing
organised youth football in England at any one time will make it as a Premier League pro.
That's a success rate of 0.012%.
Pretty much the sort of chances of you being hit by a meteorite on your way home.

On the clubs side, outlay for:

Player recruitment - remember you need two teams just so the 0.012% can have a game.
Coach Recruitment
All the above need paying
Referee fees
Travel and hotels
League fees
Equipment and kit
Filming of training
Facility maintenance
Tournament entry fees

Not much left when that lots forked out for.
I can’t see it adding up to £25m though. And those stats are for players from the age of nine upwards. Most of their coaching will be done by coaches that are there anyway and possibly volunteers (as other clubs do, like Watford - Mark Warburton started coaching there as a volunteer when his son was at their academy) so the cost is minimal (with the exception of the Irish tournament they enter) and the majority of them won’t ever be offered contracts. So that 0.012% is a misleading figure.
What is not in dispute is that we’ve netted more than £30m in fees since the academy was first set up in 2003. I doubt the running costs have been £30m, if you believe otherwise, show me the figures.

I understand & recognise that most discussions about football nowadays need a £$¥€ sign attached to them. Fair enough. But .... kids kicking a ball about .... dreaming .... I'm OK with my ticket money going on that.

I can’t see it adding up to £25m though. And those stats are for players from the age of nine upwards. Most of their coaching will be done by coaches that are there anyway and possibly volunteers (as other clubs do, like Watford - Mark Warburton started coaching there as a volunteer when his son was at their academy) so the cost is minimal (with the exception of the Irish tournament they enter) and the majority of them won’t ever be offered contracts. So that 0.012% is a misleading figure.
What is not in dispute is that we’ve netted more than £30m in fees since the academy was first set up in 2003. I doubt the running costs have been £30m, if you believe otherwise, show me the figures.

Lets say running costs of £1.2M/year leaves a profit of about 400K per annum.

OK we got Hodges for about that but 400K ain't going to buy much, even in 2003 let alone in 2020.

Lets say running costs of £1.2M/year leaves a profit of about 400K per annum.

OK we got Hodges for about that but 400K ain't going to buy much, even in 2003 let alone in 2020.
So you’d rather have £1.2m than £1.6m? When I said ‘more than £30m, I meant quite a lot more as I hadn’t gone through all of them, like Lowton and Slew. It’s worth pointing out that any player we produce for our first team will now be worth a minimum of £10m and any player good enough for the championship around £5m. So probably not the best time to shut it down.

I understand & recognise that most discussions about football nowadays need a £$¥€ sign attached to them. Fair enough. But .... kids kicking a ball about .... dreaming .... I'm OK with my ticket money going on that.
Me too tbh. I wouldn’t mind it ‘losing’ a bit of money, it’s just that it doesn’t. Although I’ve been caught like a carp on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom