The expectations of any new manager?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Calls for Wilder....
Calls for a new manager plural....

But what are your true expectations?

This isn't a trick question by the way or me trying to play moral high ground, it is a genuine question.

Any new manager would have to come in with this threadbare squad and do something until the January transfer window at least. So what qualities do we desire from any Hecky replacement.

It i very easy for us all to call for a replacement, but where is the current gaffer underperforming? And what can we address prior to any windows of business?

I would scout the 'out' threads, but they tend to bounce all over the place without much thought or substance. I guess I am looking for genuine opinion as opposed to kneejerk emotional meltdown.

Calls for Wilder....

This isn't a trick question by the way or me trying to play moral high ground, it is a genuine question.

Any new manager would have to come in with this threadbare squad and do something until the January transfer window at least. So what qualities do we desire from any Hecky replacement.

It i very easy for us all to call for a replacement, but where is the current gaffer underperforming? And what can we address prior to any windows of business?

I would scout the 'out' threads, but they tend to bounce all over the place without much thought or substance. I guess I am looking for genuine opinion as opposed to kneejerk emotional meltdown.
Stop shipping goals would be priority no.1.

“Any new manager would have to come in with this threadbare squad and do something until the January transfer window at least.”
Until the summer you mean.

Stop shipping goals would be priority no.1.
Fair... How did we get so bad defensively?

Over the last few years, whilst we may have been poor going forwards, we have actually been quite reliable at the back.

I mean personally I would have liked a 2nd CB in the summer window. Trusty isn't bad (not that we have seen too much of him), but I would have liked more.

Fair... How did we get so bad defensively?

Over the last few years, whilst we may have been poor going forwards, we have actually been quite reliable at the back.

I mean personally I would have liked a 2nd CB in the summer window. Trusty isn't bad (not that we have seen too much of him), but I would have liked more.
Could it be that we’ve lost our three best centre backs with injuries?

Why until the summer?
Are you expecting us to get players in in January. I don’t think we will do any business until the summer and that will most likely see departures for McBurnie, Archer, Hamer and a few others.

If new manager comes I think it’s about looking long term for a team to compete next season and beyond.
i Don’t think Hecky is under performing, he’s trying to compete in a league with limited resources. We can dream but realism needs to be faced, which brings me back to my first sentence

Are you expecting us to get players in in January. I don’t think we will do any business until the summer and that will most likely see departures for McBurnie, Archer, Hamer and a few others.
We weren't sigming anyone in the Summer either.... that would be another negative assumption wouldn't it?

How do you limk this to any potential new manager?... Are you saying that it would have to be someone thay comes in with the ability to handle a non existing transfer budget?

Calls for Wilder....

A realisation that Hamer is a DM who needs to be on the ball. We are asking him to play other roles to accommodate lesser players

We have conceded 2+ 9 times in a row and are on course to concede 110. So a change in how we mark, how we pass players between defenders as they take up positions. Any sign of an improvement in players understanding their defensive responsibilities.

A commitment to finding a way to get more players forward when we have possession. Or at least finding a way to get the ball over the half way line with more than one United player there

A more intuitive use of substitutes.

A willingness to change style, players, strategy before disaster rather than afterwards

Local shouty man (preferably a Blade or former employee) with pashun and an all action kick and run style.

Stepping away from being facetious I genuinely don't know how much improvement another manager could get from this squad, let alone the current available players.

Like many I've been concerned with the constant long term injury issues but the club has said that's being looked at.

The defence has looked worse since Hudson joined but I'm loathe to blame him too much as we're playing much better opposition with a weakened defence.

The basic answer is that we need to concede less and pose a more attacking threat. I don't believe we have enough to improve either by much.

In some positions we simply don't have alternatives and in others there's little competition.

Maybe a new management team could coach some improvement in certain defensive areas but I don't see to much to work with.

In previous years you could argue that some players were under-performing or needed moving on and a new man could improve that.

January is still months away and I'm not sure how much change in personnel can be done then. And I don't think many players are particularly under-achieving.

It's a depressing situation in football terms but it's a reality I don't see fixed in the short term.

Could it be that we’ve lost our three best centre backs with injuries?
That doesn't excuse the errors that Anel and Egan made against Palace, Forest, City and Everton, when Egan, Anel and Robinson, our first choice back three were all fit and available. With the exception of Robinson the defence were continually letting players go unmarked in the box for free headers, but hey, let's blame Larouci instead for them instead.

Calls for Wilder....

I don’t think there is anyone who could take the half of this year’s squad currently available and do much more than the players themselves could and should be achieving .
Quite simply what we have are outclassed by any of the top 8 teams. Whether they can raise their efforts and overall game during the next 10 matches against “lesser” teams remains to be seen.

We weren't sigming anyone in the Summer either.... that would be another negative assumption wouldn't it?

How do you limk this to any potential new manager?... Are you saying that it would have to be someone thay comes in with the ability to handle a non existing transfer budget?
Yep

Improvement needed at both ends of the pitch, oh and in the middle.
That should cover it!

Offensively
I can't see what we are doing in training to try and progress up the pitch and get a sight of goal when we play in games.
We pass it around safely to unmarked players occasionally getting beyond half way, but as soon as we're pressed we either give up possession, or work it back to Wes who just has to launch it, and we either lose the header, or are nowhere near picking up the second ball.
Surely the midfield can put the occasional ball over the top and get someone running after it and try and get a thow in or a corner at the top end of the pitch. We're not even trying to turn defences round and get them running to their own goal. Even non league teams can get some sort of threat like this in cup games against PL teams so why the hell can't we do it?
Face it, we're never going to pass it through teams, but that's all we try to do. It's pitiful to watch. Zero threat, zero chance creation, zero shots, zero goals. Go figure!
Oh and occasionally press the fuck out of the opposition as a team. Not all game but every 10inutes have a right go at it. Make them uncomfortable. Illiman was great at it on his own but needs the whole team at it all together to force some errors. Teams we're playing are allowed way too much time so they are always unruffled and consequently they make very few errors. It's too easy for them.

Midfielders.
Pass and fucking move once in a while. We have no running off the ball. Pass it quickly preferably one touch and move to space to receive it back. Know where the striker(s) has been instructed to run to and give him a pass to chase up the pitch.
Get on your bike and run to support the striker and give him some options.
Stop trying to play chess. It's football FFS.

Defence
Grow some gonads! More like Robbo less trying to pass it about.
When the ball needs clearing kick it long, kick it hard, and push out.
Get the ball upfield towards a red and white shirt and stop fannying about tippy tappy between deep midfield and defenders.

Goalie
Train train and train again on being better at crosses. Don't rely on McB all the time. He's out injured more than he plays. If it's in the 6 yard box it's yours. Go and claim it or punch it 40 yards away.

Do I get the job?

We're not expecting miracles with this squad but jeez we can do so much more than we're showing so far.
I've been very much in Hecky's camp but he's seriously trying my patience now.
Sort it out!

I would settle with the new manager:
a) nuking whatever training/conditioning setup we have now from orbit, and replacing with something sensible which cuts down on the absurd injury count
b) recognising that once the R is next to our name on the table, that giving any players that have zero future with the club a single minute is wasting minutes on players that might be useful. Chuck the young fringe players in, it'll be a bit trial by fire for sure but doing something like playing Fleck over Coulibaly/Brooks or Archer over Jebbo/Osula serves zero purpose in dead rubbers

Calls for Wilder....

Pretty simple, most of the displays, especially at home.....should be like the Man Utd 1st half home display.
Already accepted we're relegated but expect us to have a positive attitude and go for it and be give it a right go.
Expect a few attacks and some excitement where we put the opposition under pressure and give them a tough game, so they have to try.

With a new manager I'm expecting an instant improvement in performances, organisation/ structure and effort, not necessarily results.
However I'm very confident that with a new manager we exceed Derbys low points record, think we'll finish on around 20 points but still be relegated.
This season maybe 25 to 30 points means you stay up, so with a lowly 20 points we might not be that far away from survival.

If we bring in Wilder I've seen with my own eyes he's capable for miracles. I wasn't enthused when he first joined us and didn't even expect promotion from league 1, so to go from bottom to league 1 to challenging for a Champions league place 4 years later still feels like it never happened because lets be real, it's impossible. Cheltenham Town with Reading are currently the bottom of league 1, can anyone imagine them challenging for a Champions league spot in 4 years? So I'm not making the same mistake of writing off Wilder again.

Last edited:
“Any new manager would have to come in with this threadbare squad and do something until the January transfer window at least.”
Until the summer you mean.

Always find it bizarre how some people think a manager can have zero effect on a team.
You only need to look at the evidence, it explains why so many owners constantly change managers when their clubs are struggling.
The reason they sway managers is because it's the most cost effective (cheapest) way to improve results.
Of course doesn't always work but you sometimes find that threadbare squads with low quality players, very low on confidence
can quickly turn into a decent team. Warnock went to Rotherham, they were full of crap players but after Warnock joined very quickly looked decent and somehow managed to achieve a string of wins meaning they avoided, what looked like certain relegation.

What you don't do as a manager or player is think...."they have better players than us and a much bigger squad....so we have no chance"
That might be the reality but you try to turn this negative into a positive and enjoy/ thrive on being the underdog.
You have nothing to lose, always aim to win, then it becomes possible. However if you start games thinking you'll lose...then you do lose.

Last edited:
Get them fit for 90 mins, tell Norwood to cut the oranges up, that's all he is fit for now. Knowing him he will slice it , like his passes

Back
Top Bottom