The exorcism of Sheffield United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JPBrods

Reaction score
Has well and truly begun this morning with the Prince breaking the silence, and most likely for the better.

It's plainly obvious, irrespective of what side of the fence you sit on (if you still are taking sides here) that Wilder's position had been untenable since the turn of the year and that it was a matter of when, not if, he would depart the club.

Perhaps the timing of that departure rankles given that we were all led to believe that he would be around next season, something which really could have been handled better. I believe the Prince when he says that it was always his intention to keep Chris for the Championship, and while there is probably more to the story to be added from Wilder's side (ie, things that he couldn't say in his often jarring post match interviews) about the reason why he felt he couldn't be a part of that, it's plain to see that his departure isn't something the board has taken lightly.

Lazy punditry stipulates that this was "sacking" and a "disgrace." I think any Blades fan should know better than to hold on to these falsehoods. it's pretty obvious that his departure is a completely unique case that can't really been viewed through the often narrow and simplistic narratives that are always pedalled. Abdullah needing to come out and explain things isn't a case of a man pouring salt on the wounds or doing his own PR. It is quite simply the quirk of a completely unheard of situation - a manager leading a club to a dismal relegation, but still backed heavily by fans, while being courted against all conventional wisdom to stay on by a boss he publicly criticises - just doesn't really happen in football. Throw in the fact he's an ex-player, a fan, and "one of our own" who took us up to the Premier League against all odds, and it's plain to see that this really isn't a business as usual situation.

My point is this: don't just react angrily at anything the club says because you are angry at Chris leaving. We all are. But it won't do anything to help the club, the backroom staff or the players as it transitions out of what has been in footballing terms a near unprecedented set of circumstances that had to end one day. We need to cleanse the palate, so to speak. Exercise some demons.

We can look at Wilder's years fondly whenever we like, but we can't have them back, so let go. We can't let that attitude sink the club. He, who was once a god, cannot be allowed to be come a possessive force in the fanbase.

Last edited:

The whole thing does need bottoming and dealing with, as openly and transparently as possible, so we can all move on. Otherwise the poor sod who gets the job is going to be hated as the Prince's Puppet by 80% of the fanbase all crying behind their CW masks.

Until/unless we get promoted that is, in which case he'll be accepted with open arms , although "that Eui-Ryong Jang, he's one of our own" doesn't quite have the same ring to it I admit.

The whole thing does need bottoming and dealing with, as openly and transparently as possible, so we can all move on. Otherwise the poor sod who gets the job is going to be hated as the Prince's Puppet by 80% of the fanbase all crying behind their CW masks.

Until/unless we get promoted that is, in which case he'll be accepted with open arms , although "that Eui-Ryong Jang, he's one of our own" doesn't quite have the same ring to it I admit.

Must admit a lot of the people complaining about not hearing a peep out of the club over Wilder's departure are now up in arms that the Prince has done this interview.

It really has split opinion but this needed to be done for the sake of the fans and the club. You don't just let the best manager you've ever had walk away without some kind of explanation if you are wanting to start selling season tickets soon. It also means the incoming manager is going to face less hostility from the off.

Has well and truly begun this morning with the Prince breaking the silence, and most likely for the better.

It's plainly obvious, irrespective of what side of the fence you sit on (if you still are taking sides here) that Wilder's position had been untenable since the turn of the year and that it was a matter of when, not if, he would depart the club.

Perhaps the timing of that departure rankles given that we were all led to believe that he would be around next season, something which really could have been handled better. I believe the Prince when he says that it was always his intention to keep Chris for the Championship, and while there is probably more to the story to be added from Wilder's side (ie, things that he couldn't say in his often jarring post match interviews) about the reason why he felt he couldn't be a part of that, it's plain to see that his departure isn't something the board has taken lightly.

Lazy punditry stipulates that this was "sacking" and a "disgrace." I think any Blades fan should know better than to hold on to these falsehoods. it's pretty obvious that his departure is a completely unique case that can't really been viewed through the often narrow and simplistic narratives that are always pedalled. Abdullah needing to come out and explain things isn't a case of a man pouring salt on the wounds or doing his own PR. It is quite simply the quirk of a completely unheard of situation - a manager leading a club to a dismal relegation, but still backed heavily by fans, while being courted against all conventional wisdom to stay on by a boss he publicly criticises - just doesn't really happen in football. Throw in the fact he's an ex-player, a fan, and "one of our own" who took us up to the Premier League against all odds, and it's plain to see that this really isn't a business as usual situation.

My point is this: don't just react angrily at anything the club says because you are angry at Chris leaving. We all are. But it won't do anything to help the club, the backroom staff or the players as it transitions out of what has been in footballing terms a near unprecedented set of circumstances that had to end one day. We need to cleanse the palate, so to speak. Exercise some demons.

We can look at Wilder's years fondly whenever we like, but we can't have them back, so let go. We can't let that attitude sink the club. He, who was once a god, cannot be allowed to be come a possessive force in the fanbase.
This is it... This is THE post. 😍
View attachment RobbieMoves.mp4

bit disappointed you didnt use "THE POWER OF CHRIS COMPELS YOU" somewhere

In hindsight we should have let him go in January. We might have a new manager and not be in a relegation place. Who knows?

Untenable in his own mind, PA didn't want him out, the fans didn't, the majority of the players didn't....I feel for Chris, he's obviously not in a good place and didn't handle adversity very well - his first go at failure and the result is 'untenable' sorry, but that's why you get big bucks.....still massively gutted though and even more so now his legacy is in question....

Agreed. Some of the stuff said has been embarrassing (on both sides) of the fence. Although some of the CW fans have tended to be more like crazed cultists.
We should support the club. Not 1 bloke.

Good post mate, but not sure getting the demons to do a few press-ups and stuff will help much 🤔
Yes well said JPB. I'm going to flog the word "unique" to death here. which ever side of the fence you sit I think all will agree CW was unique, his CV was unique, his tenure at the Lane was unique, what he achieved the past few seasons was unique, possibly never to be repeated, unless Billy throws his hat into the ring in times to come, our present PL predicament is unique, even CW's departure was unique.
OK, how the hell do you follow that ? recruit from the other end of the spectrum of unique, whatever that is, the Prince has a big problem on his plate to achieve this, I just hope he will pull the right rabbit out of the right hat to get us over this. Worrying but maybe exciting times with unique apprehension I feel are ahead.
Meanwhile, we must all keep the faith in the board (for a while anyway) hope for the best, fear for the worst, as we Blades always uniquely do.
.... Uniquely, UTB.

Back
Top Bottom