The CWAK way....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Some might disregard that first half performance and concentrate solely on that later second half push. And I get it to an extent, I totally do.... because we all long for a bit of something going forwards and to score goals.

But for me that first half was the most important of the two, despite how unnatractive and frustrating it was.

You will have to forgive me for not knowing her name, but a female commentator hit the nail on the head for me during the Bournemouth match... "This Sheffield United team are incapable of doing more than one thing".... "They cant defend and attack"... "They look lost"........

She was right.....

We've been like headless chickens in terms of the basics. We've had no shape and little understanding of how to play against top flight teams.

But for me it was the effort, determination and discipline of that first half.... that ultimately paved the way and allowed for the way that we played the second half. Not only thayt, but I would go as far as saying that I believe it to be a potential season changing half of football.

Why?

The lads are getting it again... and whilst it might be unttractive, backs against the wall stuff. It restores confidence again and repairs a great deal of what we were doing wrong under Hecky.

One of the positives of the CWAK partnership, is that they make us hard to beat. I actually think that Wilder comes back to us a little steadier as well.... bu that I mean no gimmicks of overlapping CB's etc....

But we are starting to see foundations once more. We retain shape, we ensure discipline and keep bodies behind the ball... we frustrate players who exploit space by not allowing them any room...

This is the CWAK way.... Nullify the opponent, frustrate the hell out of them and in the process learn that they cant hurt us if we keep disciplined and stifle the hell out of them... then when they become desperate and push on, we exploit them....

Old school smash and grab, counter attack, or whatever you want to call it. It isn't orthodox premier league football.... but it works with the tools that we have to do the job.

I said to another blade tonight that we had to appreciate the discipline and hard work shown in the forst half... and that we would have a spell in the second half. He said "we won't have a spell though"...... and he was right if Hecky was still in the hotseat. But we saw it time and time again under Wilder and it worked effectively.

It might not be the most prettiest, but it will bring the basics back and it will grab points along the way.

We are fighting for survival. Our game stats may not look pretty but points mean prizes!
The lads haven't given up they can see some light. And we just look much more solid overall.

I just hope we can follow last night up with a win vs. Luton. Because had we hung on we would be the ones likely 3rd bottom on 11 points going into boxing day.

The recent interview with McAtee said it all for me. When asked what the biggest difference since Wilder arrived he said we're allowed to have a go at teams. He also said players have specific positions and areas of the pitch, so they do less running by sticking to them, compared to charging from one end of the pitch to the other, so the players have more energy match opponents and see out the games.

Hecky's last 4 points were a win based on a last minute questionable penalty, and a draw scored by an own goal. 5 points in 14 games. Under Wilder we deserved the 3 against Brentford and the draw against Villa. 4 points in 4 games.

Win on boxing day and it's 7 points from 5. I'll take that after the shitshow before.

If only Larouci had smashed that ball upfield v City, and Thhe ref not fucking us over with added time v Spurs. We could be a further 4 points up the road.

I agree cwak appear to see what is needed rested dome of our strong physical players for the luton match.I see a back four again Anel coming in and Mcburnie and possible Osula up front.

Some might disregard that first half performance and concentrate solely on that later second half push. And I get it to an extent, I totally do.... because we all long for a bit of something going forwards and to score goals.

But for me that first half was the most important of the two, despite how unnatractive and frustrating it was.

You will have to forgive me for not knowing her name, but a female commentator hit the nail on the head for me during the Bournemouth match... "This Sheffield United team are incapable of doing more than one thing".... "They cant defend and attack"... "They look lost"........

She was right.....

We've been like headless chickens in terms of the basics. We've had no shape and little understanding of how to play against top flight teams.

But for me it was the effort, determination and discipline of that first half.... that ultimately paved the way and allowed for the way that we played the second half. Not only thayt, but I would go as far as saying that I believe it to be a potential season changing half of football.

Why?

The lads are getting it again... and whilst it might be unttractive, backs against the wall stuff. It restores confidence again and repairs a great deal of what we were doing wrong under Hecky.

One of the positives of the CWAK partnership, is that they make us hard to beat. I actually think that Wilder comes back to us a little steadier as well.... bu that I mean no gimmicks of overlapping CB's etc....

But we are starting to see foundations once more. We retain shape, we ensure discipline and keep bodies behind the ball... we frustrate players who exploit space by not allowing them any room...

This is the CWAK way.... Nullify the opponent, frustrate the hell out of them and in the process learn that they cant hurt us if we keep disciplined and stifle the hell out of them... then when they become desperate and push on, we exploit them....

Old school smash and grab, counter attack, or whatever you want to call it. It isn't orthodox premier league football.... but it works with the tools that we have to do the job.

I said to another blade tonight that we had to appreciate the discipline and hard work shown in the forst half... and that we would have a spell in the second half. He said "we won't have a spell though"...... and he was right if Hecky was still in the hotseat. But we saw it time and time again under Wilder and it worked effectively.

It might not be the most prettiest, but it will bring the basics back and it will grab points along the way.
We were no different second half, until the substitutions - Wilder would have got it bang right with a PL standard ish goalkeeper and come away with three points.
Sit deep fill midfield narrow the space and frustrate
once they start to flag then become a bit more expansive

Personally I think Wilder is showing Hecky up. Under Hecky, last nights midfield would have been Fleck Osborn and Norwood. The defence would have had no belief and the result would have been very different.
I’m just surprised since his last spell with us Wilder has not enjoyed much success. Hopefully he’s learnt from those experiences and will lead us to safety.

Yes. First things first. Stop shipping goals and confidence knocked out of us.
Build from that.

It even happened during that match first half to second.

I bounded out of Villa Park last night exhilarated by that performance, even after that 97th minute setback. Yes the bar had been set quite low recently, but that’s the sort of team performance I want to see. But it’s the performance of certain individuals that’s getting me really excited. Andre fucking Brooks is an absolute sensation. Young, mobile, tough in the tackle, comfortable on the ball, he can take people on and very rarely give the ball away, so glad he’s taking his chance in this team. Also Gustavo Hamer is very quickly turning into the midfield dynamo we always thought he could be. Vini Souza has finally got up to speed with the Prem and is starting to show his presence in the middle of the park. JLT is showing serious captain credentials, Trusty is growing in stature and McAtee has got his swagger back. Chris is also starting to get a tune out of supposed duds like Yasser Larouci….Regarding United, l’am looking forward to a steady improvement and a happier new year.

The manner of the result, or the performance, regardless of the scoreline, would've been pleasing. Play that and lose, I'd have hope, play like that and draw, I'd be delighted, play like that win and I'd have been over the moon, and am left feeling gutted in the circumstances.

Positives:
Defensive solidarity, for very prolonged periods. Very well drilled.

Both Larouci and Lowe looked OK, Lowe was always open for the pass when he came on.

The subs changed the game for the better, brave and creative decisions.

Archer looks very clinical for his age and for how few chances we are likely to have.

Fantastic game management. Well done CWAK.

Back
Top Bottom