Speed to Swansea?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah but
Swansea = Wales
Speed = Welsh = Likes Wales

And also what are his wages like as he was a Robson signing? Would he be one McCabe would prefer off the books?

I'd heard on the grapevine that martinez was heading to Celtic.
Either way - it's too soon for Speedy to be managing a club Championship club - would we want an untried manager at the Lane? :confused:

Reckon he's as well learning the ropes at a well run club like ours as he is anywhere.

Unless rachy has a point about the wages, I can't see him going far any time soon.

Yeah but
Swansea = Wales
Speed = Welsh = Likes Wales

And also what are his wages like as he was a Robson signing? Would he be one McCabe would prefer off the books?
Bit of a narrow assumption on him being Welsh and therefore being happy to manage Swansea. I'm English but wouldn't want to managed Leeds (or a other host of clubs).

Also I think Speed is actually a Cardiff fan and he may not be welcomed down Swansea way.

Sheffield Utd's Speed rules out Swansea move

05.06.09 | tribalfootball.com
Sheffield United midfielder Gary Speed has ruled himself out of the running to replace Roberto Martinez at Swansea City.

Martinez is in talks with Wigan owner Dave Whelan over personal terms after Swansea agreed a compensation figure for the 35-year-old and Welshman Speed, currently coach under Kevin Blackwell at Sheffield United, has been linked as a possible replacement.

Speed, 39, said: "I wouldn't want to talk about anything else while Roberto Martinez is still the manager.

"Kevin Blackwell has brought me into the fold and I've learnt a lot off him as a coach and it's been a great experience for me learning the ropes.

"So I'm there next season as a coach."

Speed, who has played for Everton, Newcastle and Bolton after starting his career at Leeds, joined the Blades, initially on loan in January 2008, before completing a permanent £250,000 transfer soon after.

I think he could go, if Martinez gets the Wigan job. I hope he doesn't though. I'd like him to stay with us for a couple of seasons or so first.

I dont think he will go TBH. It would be hard to replicate what Martinez has done in there second season in the CCC.

oh dear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/8087959.stm

Speed in line for Swansea talks

Gary Speed won 85 caps for Wales between 1990 and 2004
Swansea City have made an approach to Sheffield United for permission to speak to Gary Speed about becoming Roberto Martinez's successor.

The Swans have been given permission by Championship rivals United to talk to the former Wales captain.

The 39-year-old is a player-coach under boss Kevin Blackwell at Bramall Lane and has a year left on his United deal.

Martinez is to be named Wigan boss on Wednesday and Speed is on the Swans shortlist to be their next manager.

The former Everton, Newcastle United, Leeds United and Bolton Wanderers midfielder has taken his Uefa pro licence coaching qualifications and has made no secret of his desire to one day become a manager.

First team coach Speed helped United make the Championship play-off final under Blackwell's guidance and it is thought the 85-times capped Welshman would be keen to make the step up to management with the Swansea.

Swans chairman Huw Jenkins feels Speed is a prime candidate to replace Martinez when the Spaniard is confirmed as Premier League side Wigan Athletic's boss on Wednesday.

GARY SPEED PROFILE

Name: Gary Andrew Speed
Born: Mancot, Flintshire on 8 September, 1969
Clubs: Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers, Sheffield United
Club stats: 840 appearances, 134 goals
Internationals appearances: 85 Wales caps, 7 goals
Did you know?: The most-capped Welsh outfield player went to the same high school as Michael Owen and room-shared with best mate Alan Shearer during his time at Newcastle
Jenkins, though, is understood to have made enquiries to other possible managerial targets after he admitted that he has had "at least 30 very, very good contenders" for the soon-to-be vacant post.

The Spaniard is set to complete his move to Wigan on Wednesday and Jenkins has revealed that 100 people have contacted him about the post.

Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale and former Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd have been linked to the post.

While former Swansea players Alan Knill, now manager at Bury, and Jimmy Gilligan, who is part of the England Under-21 set-up, are apparently interested.

"I would love to get things sorted as quickly as I can," Jenkins told BBC Sport Wales.

Jenkins has a history of giving young managers their chance under his reign at the Liberty Stadium as Kenny Jackett started his managerial career in Swansea before he was replaced by another untested manager in Martinez in 2007.

Jenkins' philosophy of employing rookie managers has been successful as Jackett completed promotion to League One from League Two in 2005.

Then when Martinez replaced Jackett in 2007, he led Swansea to the League One title by 10 points in 2007/08 season - in his first full season in charge.

Martinez went onto to inspire the Swans to within six points of the Championship play-offs last season.

Speed - who has made more than 800 appearances in his 21 years as a player - struggled with a back injury last season but insisted his playing career was not over.

So Speed may have the opportunity to follow in the successful footsteps Martinez and Jackett and be the next young manager given his head by Swansea.

Jenkins said: "There's a lot of wide-ranging applications and, to be fair, this is going to be the hardest decision I'm going to have to make and the board have to make.

"The level of contenders has greatly got better over the last seven years but, to be honest, we don't want to be in this position of looking for managers every two or three years.

606: DEBATE
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Sean O'Driscoll from Doncaster to take over from Roberto Martinez at Swansea. He'd be my first choice

AlTheJack
"We are looking for the right person to stay with us and develop the club over a period."

Jenkins also stressed the importance of continuing the passing style of football that Martinez earned the plaudits for during his two-and-a-half years in charge.

"That's a priority," he said. "When we appointed Roberto, football was very much in his mind. We knew the type of players we had at the club.

"We knew Roberto at the time would get the best out of them which it proved.

"We want to make sure Swansea City are still going to be renowned for good football.

"I think we should keep that at the club as much as we can and get the right person in to complement that."

Jenkins wants a new manager in place ahead of pre-season training which starts at the end of the month.

Paulo Sousa been offered the Swansea Manager's job:D

I think it's too early for Speed to take the step up, won't be too long though

I think it's too early for Speed to take the step up, won't be too long though

Yeah - think you're right. The flip side of this though is that Speedy could have taken on the job at Swansea - made a right balls of it - and gifted us 6 points. Guess we come out top whether he stays or goes then :D

Back
Top Bottom