RIP Billy Hodgson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oh no loved Billy Hodgson I always remember him a home game against Leicester City in the early sixties he was totally outstanding that day it’s a crystal clear memory I have as I was stood next to the players tunnel on John Street as he came off at the end crowd roaring our approval he was covered head to toe in mud (heavy rain during the game) You couldn’t see the red and white stripes just mud he took Leicester apart (never forgiven that lot for the FA Cup Semi-Final defeat)
An amazing display from the smallest lad on the park and my Dad said to me you’ll not see many performances like that again and he was right.
Thanks for playing for Blades Billy RIP Son

One of my favourite players, a real joker he often hid behind the ref whilst retaining possession to infuriate the opposition. Seemed to need to replace torn shorts on a regular basis, genuinely a real character. R.I.P.

Loved watching Billy when I was a kid, only a small player but tenacious and skilful . Remember him ploughing through the mud (not like the billiard tables they play on now) and always gave 100%. RIP Billy and thanks for the memories.

One of my favourite players from the Blades of my youth. By grim coincidence, at the time that this news was being posted, I was posting my review of the first match of the 1962-63 season, including a great picture of him from the Forest programme:
8B048FA2-2359-4135-AE12-B683E0C2F363.jpeg
RIP a big-hearted Blade

Deadbat , I hadnt realised we signed Hodgson initially on loan. Must be our first in history?
Could it have anything to do with players conscripted to the armed forces? They were often based a long way from their club, and guesting for other clubs would have allowed them to continue playing some football. I was not aware of any loan-system at the time (doesn’t mean it didn’t exist, though).

Oh no loved Billy Hodgson I always remember him a home game against Leicester City in the early sixties he was totally outstanding that day it’s a crystal clear memory I have as I was stood next to the players tunnel on John Street as he came off at the end crowd roaring our approval he was covered head to toe in mud (heavy rain during the game) You couldn’t see the red and white stripes just mud he took Leicester apart (never forgiven that lot for the FA Cup Semi-Final defeat)
An amazing display from the smallest lad on the park and my Dad said to me you’ll not see many performances like that again and he was right.
Was that the game where he scored at the lane end in a 1-0 win that was my first memory of him?
RIP Billy Hodgson ☹️

Was that the game where he scored at the lane end in a 1-0 win that was my first memory of him?
Might have been a 1-0 win over Burnley who were a very good side back then.

I wonder if that was the match he picked up some of the toilet roll that was thrown onto the pitch and wiped the mud off his face just after he had won a corner at the Kop end. Crowd loved it. For our young fans - back in those days there seemed to be many fans who brought toilet rolls to the ground to throw as streamers. Great character.

Only 4 left from the 1961 promotion squad. Shiels, Hoyland, Summers and Russell

View attachment 141825
Billy was a real grafter and was excellent when conditions were heavy ! Had this ability to really work through Bramall lanes muddy period from Dec onwards he seemed to revel in it .He was a talented player not just a mud larker ..

RIP Billy.

A few memories of Bill Hodgson from my scrapbooks:
EE202DB5-9C6C-4A31-B187-38CEC6AC3458.jpeg
He had a good footballing brain, and was trusted to nullify Danny Blanchflower in the giant-killing of Spurs in 1958.

1E5009D9-E1C1-4866-BF5B-5DA0D6028912.jpeg
Always gave his all, even if things were not going well (v Wednesday, in a game we don’t talk about)

80259B92-D7E3-4134-A092-E442FEA69BE3.jpegE413469E-1932-454A-B2BC-70C567A44EEF.jpeg3E54EF9F-406E-444B-873F-88BCD4327B60.jpeg
He had a good eye for an opening: goals v Blackburn, Lincoln, Wolves

D3C2C355-3025-4C23-8668-6A42C473C54E.jpegEEF2B3AA-8346-4D8F-83CF-CEF64FEC5355.jpeg
Pre-Cup preparations

34B0558A-2E4C-498A-9FD4-2AD0F464E1ED.jpeg
And celebrating promotion.
Thanks for the memories, Bill.

One of my favourite players from the Blades of my youth. By grim coincidence, at the time that this news was being posted, I was posting my review of the first match of the 1962-63 season, including a great picture of him from the Forest programme:
View attachment 141826
RIP a big-hearted Blade
“Good friends and rivals” wow times have changed

Back
Top Bottom