Our strikers ...... and Weir.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hartley Hare

Being Naughty
Reaction score
I think calls for the managers head tonight are harsh. He has only been in charge for seven league games, hardly long enough to make an impression.

The problem to my mind is the poor and limited options he has with regard to the centre forward position.

Data from last season and this season;

Porter played 33 goals 5
Taylor played 37 goals 4 (excluding Scottish games)
Ironside played 20 goals 0

Hardly prolific. Nine goals in ninety combined games. One in ten. Shocking.

Things looked so different just over a month ago after the Notts. County match. Yet so many seem to have forgotten.

We just can't keep changing our manager, particularly when he has not had the resources to do himself justice. He needs more time and two new strikers, proven goal scorers, before a fair judgement can be made. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Maybe there is no plan B, because we do not have the players to execute an alternative.

Patience is required in these difficult times.

HH

I think calls for the managers head tonight are harsh. He has only been in charge for seven league games, hardly long enough to make an impression.

The problem to my mind is the poor and limited options he has with regard to the centre forward position.

Porter played 33 goals 5

Things looked so different just over a month ago after the Notts. County match. Yet so many seem to have forgotten.

We just can't keep changing our manager, particularly when he has not had the resources to do himself justice. He needs more time and two new strikers, proven goal scorers, before a fair judgement can be made. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Maybe there is no plan B, because we do not have the players to execute an alternative.

HH

I hear what you're saying, but I cant believe that nobody addressed this problem in the summer transfer window.
talk about putting a plaster over a brain tumour. why we didn't buy several better strikers is beyond me. Truly the most toothless blades attack for many years. Cant see Weir staying as the results can get better until we start scoring goals and unless we find some miracles in the loan market that wont happen.

Porter played 33 goals 5

HH

No fucking action is required! If the Captain of the Titanic had acted earlier more lives could have been saved, if Capt Schettino had acted earlier possibly no one would have died.

One thing in common - they pissed around dithering. And dithering leads to failure and errors.

There is no indication that under Weir anything is getting better. He is being stupid by all accounts and it his responsibility. He picks the team, motivates them (ha ha), makes tactical choices. The only thing he doesn't do is play.

Last season Murphy started to play a bit but then went off the boil. You'd think he might have recaptured that.

But to cheer you all up and for those who remember the late (great) Ally McLeod's foray into Argentinian World Cup ignominy here's the David Weir song.

We’re on the march wi Deevey’s army,
We’re on the way to our League Two
‘cos after seven games we can see he has no shame
and its obvious he hasnae got a clue!

and for those who haven't heard the original

He needs more time but the lack of tempo, piss poor work-rate and defending and the complete inability and unwillingness to change style and critically system doesn't do him any favours. Furthermore it doesn't smack of a manager with the flexibility to change things to win games in the future!

Porter played 33 goals 5

HH
I respect the fact some fans are still saying he needs time, but history is repeating itself, its blatantly obvious where we are heading if we keep Weir in charge. As you've said he has been in charge for only 7 games but in all fairness he's had plenty of time to find us a decent striker. He failed with the 'attempts' to sign the 2 from Coventry who are in a financial mess. I don't buy the fact they can reject good offers for their players, its obvious we haven't tried hard enough to get them. The 2 lads he's brought in are useless. Taylor has had games to prove he is good enough but quite simply has proven that he was a waste of money, and Bunn is another useless loan, reminds me of Forte or O'Halloran.

I guarantee we will be relegated if we stay put with Weir, and is that when everyone will realise he hasn't a clue? Because how much time are we talking about? The season? January? A couple of seasons? We need to get rid now. There hasn't been a club to go up using tactics the same as we are now, when was the last team to get promoted out of League 1 using 4-5-1? Doncaster, Bournemouth, Yeovil, Charlton, Wednesday, Huddersfield all played 4-4-2 and a more direct approach to games. They all succeeded, why can't the board see this and acquire a manager who knows this division and is hungry for a promotion and won't put up with any nonsense performances from players!

I am hopeful we will bring in two or three decent loan players in the next month.

We need to play 4-4-2 with a new goal poaching striker and attacking full backs to help create more chances.

The sheikh's money will fund the additional wages and further acquisitions in the new year. Once Weir has his loans, the die will be cast, and there can be no more excuses.

It would be wrong to set a timescale, only for us to get a few wins and see some real improvement in play, as we begin to climb the table.

Without further new players and a goal scoring threat I am not sure any manager could do much better.

I am hopeful we will bring in two or three decent loan players in the next month.

We need to play 4-4-2 with a new goal poaching striker and attacking full backs to help create more chances.

The sheikh's money will fund the additional wages and further acquisitions in the new year. Once Weir has his loans, the die will be cast, and there can be no more excuses.

It would be wrong to set a timescale, only for us to get a few wins and see some real improvement in play, as we begin to climb the table.

Without further new players and a goal scoring threat I am not sure any manager could do much better.

flaws in this argument - he hasnt once switched to 4-4-2 even with a few minutes to go. we have several strikers and full backs at the club, none of whom seem suited to his system. this could and shouldve been addressed in the summer and wasnt, why should we believe it will be in this loan window/january. the sheikh money - does it even exist... surely if it had, we couldve 'spent' in the just-closed transfer window at the rates we were known to be able to afford in lieu of it being announced when it was, why would we not have done that if substantial funds were going to be put in, ditto keeping mcdonald, surely he wouldve seen the potential in a team about to receive heavy investment and stayed??

He's had the chance to do that already and failed. He pointedly sticks to the current one up front even when we have lost it (like at New York last week). There's no enthusiasm, desire, excitement in the team. We have a set of players on automatic, with no gear change to enable us to up the tempo.
For me I can 0nly see defeats v Preston and Wolves and then Micky Adams will be in town to drive the nail further in the coffin.
I desperately wanted a passing style to work - but the passing has to be tempered with some kind of threat.
The dim distant and rose coloured days of Currie and Woodward involved more than the occasional long ball down the channel to Woodward who either had a long range crack at goal or an early cross into the box. The better team mix the styles, even Real Madrid chuck it long when it suits.
We just don't have a style and a manager who currently hasn't a clue.

He has failed to sort one of the main things to win games. A GOALSCORER. Time for change. But not Curbishley

He has failed to sort one of the main things to win games. A GOALSCORER. Time for change. But not Curbishley

It's all well and good saying we need a goalscorer but its not their fault. The service to them is awful, in fact - non-existant.

Blame the midfield and full backs.

Keith Edwards summed it up yesterday when Ironside was subbed. He'd been waiting all game for 1 chance.. Just one and nobody provided it then after he's gone a ball goes fizzing across the 6 yard box (where Ironside would've been). Instead of Ironside though, there was Westlake or didn't throw himself at the ball.

We're losing, don't just swap the lone striker for another DW. Put 2 up top. What a nob!

Back
Top Bottom