Our Academy not as good as it was

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
I was told yesterday that a player (who is same age as my lad) played in a tournament for a big Premier League club Academy during the summer despite that he is still an Academy player for one of the local clubs. That means the PL now have more control of Academy players who are with a FL club. see link below and note the two paragraphs "The EPPP has been greeted with scepticism from parts of The Football League. Some claim the Premier League has blackmailed the Football League by threatening to remove all youth development funding if the Football League did not accept the new deal.[18] It has been described by some as a way of catering for only the elite. The new rules mean that a category-A academy can go to any other training ground to watch a player (giving 48 hours notice) and effectively buy the player for a fixed fee starting from £3,000.[19]
Hereford United, Wycombe Wanderers and Yeovil Town folded their academies at the start of the 2012/13 season citing that the cost of implementing the EPPP was part of the reason for this.". This stinks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan#cite_note-20

Yes, they can have the pick of who they want for very little money.

Great isn't it ?

Still, we should stick with our values and point out that they are much more likely to have a career in football if they stay and develop with us - only 30% of PL players are English. Not may will break through from their academies (although the travesty is they can hand pick your best prospects)

What category is our academy??? Seems like if we can get it rated an A there may be some protection there...

What category is our academy??? Seems like if we can get it rated an A there may be some protection there...

B. The rating is based on number of coaches, facilities, and the money put in as far as I am aware, and not on arguably more important things like the proportion of graduates who go on to play in the Football League. The club said at the time it wasn't worth the money we'd have to put in.

Silent, I don't quite see what the title of the thread has to do with the post? Are you saying that we the academy isn't as good because it isn't category A, or that if our academy was that good we would be having more players nicked from under our noses, or you are worried that our best talent will be poached?

Silent, I don't quite see what the title of the thread has to do with the post? Are you saying that we the academy isn't as good because it isn't category A, or that if our academy was that good we would be having more players nicked from under our noses, or you are worried that our best talent will be poached?

We sold Jacob Mellis to Chelsea for £1M a few years ago. If it happened now then we would have been forced to accept a lot less money for Mellis. The PL love the EPPP and we now have a lot less power to hold on to our Academy players unless we offer them a pro contract

Still, we should stick with our values and point out that they are much more likely to have a career in football if they stay and develop with us - only 30% of PL players are English. Not may will break through from their academies (although the travesty is they can hand pick your best prospects)

How many parents would agree that their son's path to a good football career would be more likely if they stayed with us? Also there are a lot of "bad agents" who give them poor advice

What makes an academy an acedemy? Can't we just carry on with it but call it something different, then we won't fall foul of the new rules?

Im guessing that the Prince will also be looking at the academy side of things. Id also expect some investment here some time down the line. Weather that be better coaches, facilities etc.

Im guessing that the Prince will also be looking at the academy side of things. Id also expect some investment here some time down the line. Weather that be better coaches, facilities etc.

The Academy will be good to us only when we get into the Premier League so until then the Prince will be powerless over the new Academy rules

I would assume the plan will be, keep them under wraps as much as possible and sign them Pro ASAP.

But yeah, the whole restructuring is based around helping the top as usual.

I would assume the plan will be, keep them under wraps as much as possible and sign them Pro ASAP.

But yeah, the whole restructuring is based around helping the top as usual.

Offering them pro contracts when they are very young are risky and 17 is the minimum age when you offer a pro contract to a player

Offering them pro contracts when they are very young are risky and 17 is the minimum age when you offer a pro contract to a player

It may be risky, but it's the way to ensure you have a little more control over what happens with them.

I wouldn't bother if we were destined to be a lower league club. Emphasis on scouting and picking the best young players available.

I'm not convinced we shouldn't just do that anyway.

UTB

I have just come back from watching Wendy u16s lose to Huddersfield u16s. Both Wendy central midfielders have played in the same school team as my son at primary school (my son was the captain of DJS team) and at Henry Fanshaw. One of the boys' granddad jokingly told me to "bugger off" cos he knows I am a Blade! Another player in the Wendy team played against my son a few years ago. It is my intention to watch a SUFC u16s match too but I cannot find any Academy fixtures in the SUFC official website. Why is this?

Back
Top Bottom