Osula, Brooks & Arblaster

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

These lads for me need to supplement more experienced players next season. They shouldn't be the ones to be relied upon week in week out.

I think they all have good potential but I think it's unrealistic, and unfair tbh, to expect them to be the major contributors.
I mentioned this in another thread. Best way IMHO, is to bring in proven quality chamionship players and decent loans and go all out from first minute and if we find ourselves 2/3 up on 50/60 min mark then make subs with the younger ones and blood them in, we would keep the pressure and energy on with the younger fresh lads. And for sure use them to start in cups and homes games here and there with experience around them.

It will be interesting to see what team he puts out against Bournemouth on Saturday !
It's obvious what team he'll put out Saturday mate. All his favourites!!!! Give the young uns a start, at least they give a shit about the club. UTB

There’s game time and then there’s throwing them to the wolves.

I don’t anticipate for one minute that all 3 will play every minute between now and the end of the season.

It would make more sense to alternate a little with Brooks and Arblaster and maybe even getting Peck a few mins here and there.

We are short of options up front so I’d be looking for Osula to either start or feature from the bench for the majority of the remaining games and it would be a great confidence booster if he can net that first premier league goal of his career

There’s game time and then there’s throwing them to the wolves.

I don’t anticipate for one minute that all 3 will play every minute between now and the end of the season.

It would make more sense to alternate a little with Brooks and Arblaster and maybe even getting Peck a few mins here and there.

We are short of options up front so I’d be looking for Osula to either start or feature from the bench for the majority of the remaining games and it would be a great confidence booster if he can net that first premier league goal of his career

“We are short of options up front”

We are short of options all over the pitch imo Digs.

I reckon at least one of the 3 will start the game tomorrow

I know people got excited about Brooks when Wilder first came in but imo he looks just as far off premier league ready as Osula is currently.

Lambs to the slaughter is probably not the best way of helping them

Bladezz, I’m certain all 3 will continue to get exposure in the first team this season and it will continue at Bournemouth, all in preparation for next season.

Come the start of next season, I believe those 3 along with one or two other academy lads, will form part of the first team squad. Why do I think that? Well because CW has vaguely alluded to it when talking about OA and I believe it doesn’t take much to realise there’ll be sweet FA to spend next season anyway and therefore reliance on the players coming through will never have been more so.

Get ready for a mass clear out a) because some of them just aren’t cutting it and b) because we can’t afford them

All in my humble opinion of course 🙂
No I agree with you. I do feel they’ll be involved for sure. I think they’ll be especially involved for the next 11 games as why not?

I’d rather Arblaster play than Norwood or Osborn who won’t be here next season. Plus if Arblaster costs us at least he’s our player that we are developing. Same for Brooks.

Osula it’s a different story, goal scoring is incredibly difficult even at Championship level. I’m not sure he’s championship level. But last time we got promoted with Wilder it was with Hogan and Madine etc so it shows players can play a big part.

I know people got excited about Brooks when Wilder first came in but imo he looks just as far off premier league ready as Osula is currently.

Lambs to the slaughter is probably not the best way of helping them
I think midfielders get away with it a little more than strikers though. Osula will be judged on how many as he scored.

Where as midfielders can still be rated as good without goals etc.

I don’t want them as our starting players next season but involved for sure.

I mentioned this in another thread. Best way IMHO, is to bring in proven quality chamionship players and decent loans and go all out from first minute and if we find ourselves 2/3 up on 50/60 min mark then make subs with the younger ones and blood them in, we would keep the pressure and energy on with the younger fresh lads.

That sounds like a perfect recipe to piss away a bunch of the playing budget. "Proven quality Championship players" are typically:

a) Old enough to have proved it, so are going to be requiring a decent chunk of wages, then either a transfer fee on top, or even higher wages if they are a free agent
b) Never going to be good enough for the Premier League, as if they were going to be good enough they would have been there already - players don't stick around in the Championship for an extended period unless it is typically the peak of their playing ability.

So, in effect, you are wanting to have us being in players with very limited upside, who will need replacing if things go right on the pitch, and who are not exactly cheap for what you are getting. Where do I sign up?

That sounds like a perfect recipe to piss away a bunch of the playing budget. "Proven quality Championship players" are typically:

a) Old enough to have proved it, so are going to be requiring a decent chunk of wages, then either a transfer fee on top, or even higher wages if they are a free agent
b) Never going to be good enough for the Premier League, as if they were going to be good enough they would have been there already - players don't stick around in the Championship for an extended period unless it is typically the peak of their playing ability.

So, in effect, you are wanting to have us being in players with very limited upside, who will need replacing if things go right on the pitch, and who are not exactly cheap for what you are getting. Where do I sign up?
Think you got confused. There is plenty of younger to mid aged chamionship players out of contract at end of the season, with plenty of experience and actual good players. We only need to recruit 4-5 with the added youngsters we are bringing througha dn the players currently on longer contracts.

Regards to replacing players if things go well, then yes we should replace players. This is why we are in situation we are in currently. So what an absolutely ridiculous comment to make.

But I suppose you would spend millions of pounds we don't have on young players with plenty of up side (brewster, berge) worked out well last time, great idea and thinking. You think we be bidding £20m for whittikar and the likes of that then I'd like what ever your smoking.

Think you got confused. There is plenty of younger to mid aged chamionship players out of contract at end of the season, with plenty of experience and actual good players

Regards to replacing players if things go well, then yes we should replace players. This is why we are in situation we are in currently. So what an absolutely ridiculous comment to make.

But I suppose you would spend millions of pounds we don't have on young players with plenty of up side (brewster, berge) worked out well last time, great idea and thinking. You think we be bidding £20m for whittikar and the likes of that then I'd like what ever your smoking.

Trimmed your first paragraph to the pertinent point, but:

1) Name one, tell me why they are out of contract, and tell me why we would be able to get them ahead of (insert low level PL club here) if they are actually of the quality needed?

2) My point has flown massively over your head. My point is that if we were to immediately bounce straight back up, all the signings you suggest immediately fall into the not good enough at the next level pot by definition, as if they were good enough, we wouldn't be in for them in the first place.

3) Not in the slightest, I have no idea what a "whittikar" is. We have enough aging Championship level players as it is. If we need them for the next season, and I don't believe that we do apart from for cover, then we offer contract extensions as needed. Then again, I don't have a flow chart that says "is SUFC non first teamer > shit on them from a great height > tell them to go on loan for three seasons > shit on them from a great height some more" and actually have belief in our academy

Having the physicality to not look out of place in the premier league is already an achievement and is a good platform to build off. They'll all be better off for their senior level experiences this year.

Arblaster seems to be regarded as the most talented of the 3 and he did well in league one. I'd expect him to be able to contribute in the championship but we shouldn't go into next year expecting him to be part of our best team.

Brooks has blown hot and cold since coming in but has shown a lot of promise. I'd expect another inconsistent year from him. Needs to work on the defensive side of his game before he's trusted to play more regularly.

Osula confuses me, he uses his physicality well to put himself about and looks like he can cause defenders of any level real problems but he hasn't yet shown that he can be a consistent goal threat. I love that he charges about the pitch but he could do with calming down a bit and being more composed in all aspects of his game. League one is probably his level as a starter at the minute but I'd be happy with him as backup especially if we can get some quality players around him to ease the burden. Will be interesting to see him against championship centre backs and in games where we're more on the front foot and have more players further up the pitch supporting him.

Trimmed your first paragraph to the pertinent point, but:

1) Name one, tell me why they are out of contract, and tell me why we would be able to get them ahead of (insert low level PL club here) if they are actually of the quality needed?

2) My point has flown massively over your head. My point is that if we were to immediately bounce straight back up, all the signings you suggest immediately fall into the not good enough at the next level pot by definition, as if they were good enough, we wouldn't be in for them in the first place.

3) Not in the slightest, I have no idea what a "whittikar" is. We have enough aging Championship level players as it is. If we need them for the next season, and I don't believe that we do apart from for cover, then we offer contract extensions as needed. Then again, I don't have a flow chart that says "is SUFC non first teamer > shit on them from a great height > tell them to go on loan for three seasons > shit on them from a great height some more" and actually have belief in our academy
View post I mentioned said players. And a lot of players are free agents as they tend to run contracts down to leave on a free, its happening a lot more in this day and age, doesn't mean they ain't good enough or too old.

Points 2) not over my head but said players are good enough for us to sign for this season mixed eith the current crop we have and youth, with 4 or 5 offered new contracts. And those said players would be enough for us to have as squad players. We do not have the money to sign players young enough and good enough for the prem in the Championship.

Back
Top Bottom