Midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
We changed it around a few times during the game, but the midfield that started against Leyton Orient was

Robson McDonald Doyle Flynn

Later Robson went central, in the hole behind Kitson, while Poleon dropped down to a wing. Robson was the only one who played anywhere near to his potential and had his best game so far.

I don't know how much it was due to instructions, but Robson roamed around all game and seemed to want to get on the ball at all times. As Orient defended deep and we lacked width he sometimes struggled to find good forward positions. This saw him often drop deep and central to collect the ball, even from defenders.

To me this seemed to confuse Doyle and McDonald. Usually they both like to come short to get the ball from our defenders, with McDonald more likely to advance with it it or try a threaded pass. On Tuesday Robson tried to do both their jobs. Some of his passes were genuinely good attempts at creative through balls, others were decent chipped ball to players out wide, often to our (still standing) full backs.

Such a roaming role could potentially have enabled the two central midfielders to bomb forward more, but McDonald just looked perplexed at the situation, making an unusual amount of mistakes, while Doyle just became invisible. If this is how Danny Wilson wanted/wants us (Robson) to play I am sure we can get better at it, but I'm not sure those four will ever form an effective midfield. We can't have three players wanting to playmake from deep, while the fourth is a defensively hard working wideman. We'd never get enough players in the box and there would be too much pressure on our one quick player (Poleon) to run at and get in behind defences.

We may urge McDonald to play like Lampard, i.e. aim to get into the box regularly, but it remains to be seen if he can adapt to such a role. It may be like asking Murphy to play as a target man, or Kitson as a nippy winger. Ideally players should be given roles which make best use of their good qualities.

I'm sure someone will suggest McDonald to play alongside Robson, but unfortunately I think we'd get overrun in midfield. When Forte or Murphy returns we'll have the chance to play two quick lads which may help us stretch teams more and find a better balance, but until then it may be a challenge for the management to get the balance right in midfield.

Does anyone have a good advice for them?

Slightly off tangent Bergen, is Robson basically trying to replace the work and places he pops up in that Quinny did for us?

They will learn to adapt to one another. They haven't played many games together yet the chemistry will come in time. If Robson continues to play in a free role and becomes our most creative influence in midfield then the rest of them will have to adapt their roles to accommodate or they will lose their places simple as. If Robson keeps playing well and influences the play then DW will keep him in the side. I'm very sure Kmac and Doyle can play alongside him but they will have to pull their finger out to make it work.

Theres bedding in to be done , they had to try and slip balls to different players too , after just getting used to murphy and forte, saying it should come easy , is easy , actually doing it , isnt, I still believe we have sufficient quality (commensurate to this division ) to finish stronger than most. The edited highlights package makes it look like we were better than it seemed as soon as the match finished

Midfield holds the key to success for our whole season.

We really struggle against sides that close us down quickly. I'm sure this is a conclusion when we are scouted. It was our achilles heel last year (Pigs and MK Dons away for example) and the reason we've drawn so many games at home this year.

It was slightly different against Orient in that they built an effective wall in midfield and cut out a lot of the forward ball options.

It didn't help with K McD having a poor game when he just couldn't get his passing going. We've been over the ground of him not having Lowton and Williamson this year which always seemed an available option last season.

I agree that it was a big shame neither Murphy or Forte playing as they have good movement. I like Poleon as well. I would have kept him on Tuesday night.

However, McDonald and Robson are good enough, they just have to keep plugging away. If the mobile forwards stay fit, I think we'll be OK. Oh and we need McD and Robson to stay fit as well. I really don't know what we'd do if neither of them were available.

Well yes but midfield created virtually nothing that day

hardly a shock as their talisman and best mate had been locked up , it wasnt like a suspension or injury miss , you can shrug that off , any one losing a pal going to jail would tend to be a bit more rattled
and I doubt that MKDons could believe their luck at not having him to cope with it would have freed them up expedent... expurdenshi... more

Robson plays in a similar role as Joe Cole does which does affect our balance and fluid (abandoning the 442) also helps the opposing defence more time to regroup and play behind the ball. Like Joe Cole, he makes more impact coming in as sub rather than from the start of the game.

Slightly off tangent Bergen, is Robson basically trying to replace the work and places he pops up in that Quinny did for us?

Yes, maybe. Quinn sometimes had a tendency to come short and central last season as well and it meant we lost some width when he tried to do a job that McDonald and Doyle could have done, but with one passing option less further forward.

We tried Quinn in the hole behind a target man in the play offs. I thought Quinn did ok individually in that role, but as a team we struggled to create and scored only one goal in the three play off matches. Will Robson behind Kitson be any better?

Robson plays in a similar role as Joe Cole does which does affect our balance and fluid (abandoning the 442) also helps the opposing defence more time to regroup and play behind the ball. Like Joe Cole, he makes more impact coming in as sub rather than from the start of the game.

While Robson has obvious qualities, the important thing is how the team works, offensively and defensively. And you're right we can't sacrifice the team's rhythm just to make Robson look good strutting his stuff deep in central midfield while we're lacking players further forward.

hardly a shock as their talisman and best mate had been locked up , it wasnt like a suspension or injury miss , you can shrug that off , any one losing a pal going to jail would tend to be a bit more rattled
and I doubt that MKDons could believe their luck at not having him to cope with it would have freed them up expedent... expurdenshi... more

The second biggest problem that day (we all kow what the biggest ine was) was conceding after 9 mins. If we had kept it tighter we would have grown in confidence.

As it was BT was a Gnats testicle away from getting an equaliser (and scoring a winner the following week). We really still weren't that far off...

Yes, maybe. Quinn sometimes had a tendency to come short and central last season as well and it meant we lost some width when he tried to do a job that McDonald and Doyle could have done, but with one passing option less further forward.

We tried Quinn in the hole behind a target man in the play offs. I thought Quinn did ok individually in that role, but as a team we struggled to create and scored only one goal in the three play off matches. Will Robson behind Kitson be any better?

I've not seen an awful lot of Robson but Quinn was a lot more mobile without having much pace. Can't help but feel Robson would be better in a central midfield role in place of Doyle?

I've not seen an awful lot of Robson but Quinn was a lot more mobile without having much pace. Can't help but feel Robson would be better in a central midfield role in place of Doyle?

They would look good on the ball, and we may have seen more creative distribution from central midfield than in a long time. The weakness would be that both would want to be the playmaker, and I don't think Robson has the stamina to go forward and also do his defensive duties. If closed down well I'd be concerned that Robson would lose possession a lot in dangerous areas, and allow the opposition to find room between our midfield and defence, i.e. we may be overrun.

When Forte or Murphy returns I think we should choose between Flynn or Robson for one wide role. If they're not back soon (and if things don't click with the starting line up we used on Tuesday) we may have to consider using one of the youngsters, probably McFadzean or De Girolamo in the other wide position.

Back
Top Bottom