Jags !!!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A shame to only see three comments thus far on this forum about it, happy retirement Jags 👏 👏 👏

(and I'm sure he'd make an excellent addition to our coaching team)

sad but expected news that Jags has retired. i was very happy when he returned in 2019. & those 2 goal as posted above where just iconic moment of modern sheffield united. still remember the celebrations of them goals

& a very good goalkeeper as well, lets not forget

Took two Leeds mates to this and they were sat with me on the Kop. They were sitting there looking all smug then five minutes later I’m having to remind them they should be stood up celebrating if they didn’t want to give away who they were!!
Isn’t that the game they tore up the seats and threw them on the pitch or have I misremembered?

Such a versatile and reliable player and a pleasure to watch. I can remember the first time I saw him was near the end of 2001/02 season and Warnock had him playing on the right wing. Jags was awful and I thought to myself "Jeez, this kid is horrendous" Enter the 2002/03 season and a legend was born.

I was there for THAT goals against Leeds. I was there for THAT goal against Boro. I was there when he was in goal against Arsenal in THAT win.

My favourite memory of Jags was Wolves away at the end of 2004/05. It was the last game of the season and we lost 4-2. Despite the two goals we were pretty much outclassed and awful that game. Fans were fed up with our front line and were desperate to see a goal scoring machine from the academy who was sat on the bench, and kept singing "We want Billy Sharp!"

Near the end of the match Jags had the ball near to the halfway line and the fans sarcastically shouted out "SHOOT!" Jags obliged and smashed the ball hopelessly towards the Wolves goal, not even coming close to scoring. He then turned to the United fans and gave a thumbs up. This resulted in a earful from Warnock on the touchline. Jags again turned to the away fans and grinned cheekily. He knew us and what we're about.

Cracking player on his day. Scored a couple of absolute beauties back in the day. I wonder if he’s done his coaching badges.. would make a quality defensive coach with his experience. Best wishes in retirement jags.

Took two Leeds mates to this and they were sat with me on the Kop. They were sitting there looking all smug then five minutes later I’m having to remind them they should be stood up celebrating if they didn’t want to give away who they were!!
Isn’t that the game they tore up the seats and threw them on the pitch or have I misremembered?
It was that game. Classless fans. I was sat on G&H block on the South Stand and there was a nasty atmosphere all match. It didn't suprise me when it all kicked off at full time.

The FA Cup game was the one where the referee got Danny Mills and Teddy Lukic mixed up and sent the wrong one off.

This was it, for those young enough not to have seen it (or a reminder for us older Blades).

Still one of my most favourite ever Utd goals.

Partly because it won us our first 3 points of that season, at last, and the noise when it went in just about blew the roof off the Kop.

But mainly because the little BadBuy Jr’s and I spent much of the next few years faithfully recreating it, in parks, gardens, beaches, living rooms, caravans, hallways … anywhere we had enough room to chuck a ball out and give it a go.

The very best of memries.

Many thanks, and GLTTJ

Such a versatile and reliable player and a pleasure to watch. I can remember the first time I saw him was near the end of 2001/02 season and Warnock had him playing on the right wing. Jags was awful and I thought to myself "Jeez, this kid is horrendous" Enter the 2002/03 season and a legend was born.

I was there for THAT goals against Leeds. I was there for THAT goal against Boro. I was there when he was in goal against Arsenal in THAT win.

My favourite memory of Jags was Wolves away at the end of 2004/05. It was the last game of the season and we lost 4-2. Despite the two goals we were pretty much outclassed and awful that game. Fans were fed up with our front line and were desperate to see a goal scoring machine from the academy who was sat on the bench, and kept singing "We want Billy Sharp!"

Near the end of the match Jags had the ball near to the halfway line and the fans sarcastically shouted out "SHOOT!" Jags obliged and smashed the ball hopelessly towards the Wolves goal, not even coming close to scoring. He then turned to the United fans and gave a thumbs up. This resulted in a earful from Warnock on the touchline. Jags again turned to the away fans and grinned cheekily. He knew us and what we're about.

Yep, same here.

The Boro one sticks out in my mind, because I remember the day so vividly. Warm day, me and Mrs G walked to the game, as we approached London Road we could see (and hear) the Police helicopter hovering about. A few minutes later, outside Barry's Bar (or whatever it was called back then), we saw a load of Boro fans, penned in by a load of coppers. When I say "coppers", I don't mean the weedy little, five foot three, 17 year olds, who we seem to have these days, these lads were all over six foot, in riot gear, and looked like they wanted a scrap more than the Boro fans. God knows where they got these lads from. One had a Alsatian on a lead, and he kept shaking the lead, like cracking a whip, and every time he did, the dog would lurch forward at the Boro fans, barking and baring its teeth.

The Jags goal was great, of course. Great goal, great atmosphere.

As we walked along Eccy Road after, a bloke walking past said, "How have they gone on?", I said, won, he said "any good?", I said , "watch Match of the Day tonight, watch the goal from Jags, that's all you need to do", and we carried on walking, ending up going for a few beers.

Enjoy your retirement, Jags.

Back
Top Bottom