Hands behind the back defending?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Getting fed up of seeing defenders just stood like lemons with their hands behind their backs when someone is putting a cross into the box.
Ok, VAR penalty decisions are a main cause of trying not to handle the ball but i'm sick and tired of seeing this.
I reckon it's costing us dearly as i see numerous clips on match of the day and after match photo's of our players doing this instead of getting stuck in and closing down.
Footballs gone soft.5038399131_fa610c7501_c.jpg

Getting fed up of seeing defenders just stood like lemons with their hands behind their backs when someone is putting a cross into the box.
Ok, VAR penalty decisions are a main cause of trying not to handle the ball but i'm sick and tired of seeing this.
I reckon it's costing us dearly as i see numerous clips on match of the day and after match photo's of our players doing this instead of getting stuck in and closing down.
Footballs gone soft.View attachment 178428
The irony being of course that you should only concede a penalty if your hands are in an unnatural position.

Nothing looks more unnatural than the above...

Agree looks stupid and a bit more common sense applied to the handball rule would solve this.

However there lies the problem-applying common sense is not something the FA is good at
Not wishing to appear as if I'm defending the FA but isn't it FIFA which makes the rules?

Not wishing to appear as if I'm defending the FA but isn't it FIFA which makes the rules?
The IFAB (International Football Association Board) make the rules, they're separate to FIFA but FIFA representatives sit on the board and hold 50% of the voting power - Any amendments to the laws require 75% of the vote in favour of the amendment, so realistically any changes need FIFA approval.

I believe for the Premier League it would be UEFA who determine how handball (and other ambiguous laws) are interperated. But it's possible the FA/PGMOL have some say in for domestic competitions.

The trouble is that I don't trust any of our defenders to be able to actually close down a player without:

a) having the opponent use their superior skills to just ghost past them when they overcommit then score
b) the same happening, except that the defender commits a foul in the process to concede a penalty, then score

Almost as if they're not getting "stuck in" by choice as the risk:reward isn't worth it compared to just trying to limit the quality of a cross they can put in while keeping the opponent at enough of a distance/angle from goal, then taking their chances at defending said cross if it comes in

Our players seem to be keeping their hands behind their backs to avoid handballs whilst simultaneously grappling with their arms all over the opponents. Tackling ability non existent in our back line save for JLT flying in

Footballs gone soft.View attachment 178428
Ours do it with their hands over their eyes.

Ahmedhodzic took it a step further against Palace and moved out of the way of Eze’s 2nd. Not a great idea.

Mykolenko just done it for Everton. Richarlison on edge of box and instead of trying to tackle him Mykolenko puts hands behind back and turns his back on him. Piss poor.

Back
Top Bottom