Goals conceded - common themes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Trafford

Reaction score
From memory:-

• Every goal that we have conceded has been from inside the penalty area
  • Most were scored by a player standing between the goal posts, ie not out wide (Haaland may have been slightly outside the post)
  • Most can be attributed to ball-watching and/or the player wasn’t robustly challenged when they scored

I think that it’s time to switch from zonal marking to man-marking. It was also interesting to see how much better Anel played alongside Bash than with Egan.

• Most were scored by a player standing between the goal posts, ie not out wide (Haaland may have been slightly outside the post)
  • Most can be attributed to ball-watching and/or the player wasn’t robustly challenged when they scored

I think that it’s time to switch from zonal marking to man-marking. It was also interesting to see how much better Anel played alongside Bash than with Egan.

And most have come from our left flank.

Egan is to blame for the poor defending
Hopefully he is out for a while and we play anel down the middle with robbo and bash or trusty alongside him

We've conceded 4 out of the 7 from our inability to deal with the ball in the air at the back.

Anel proved to be better in that position when he played it against Tottenham in the cup
Agree.

Anel’s performance v Spurs in the middle of the back 3, was arguably the best and most composed performance that anybody produced at centre-half in our games last season. Not only is his extra height an advantage there but, as much as I love Egan’s attitude and commitment, I think it’s indisputable that Anel is quicker and far better on the ball than Egan.

Agree.

Anel’s performance v Spurs in the middle of the back 3, was arguably the best and most composed performance that anybody produced at centre-half in our games last season. Not only is his extra height an advantage there but, as much as I love Egan’s attitude and commitment, I think it’s indisputable that Anel is quicker and far better on the ball than Egan.
Yep. And I think Anel has that little bit more nastiness/aggression about him that Egan sometimes lacks.

Yep - weakness in the air looking an issue - 4 of our 7 goals conceded have come via headers effectively!

We've conceded 4 out of the 7 from our inability to deal with the ball in the air at the back.
Poor wide defending to allow crosses for most of them as well, Osborn should have stopped the Palace cross, both Forest goals were soft crosses, Grealish is good but shouldn’t have beat Baldock down the outside, Larouci screws up then Walker crosses, the cross for their 2nd should have never come in yesterday.

But you’re correct, we need to react better to crosses when they do occur.

have watched it back fantastic ball in for evertons equaliser but baldock let his man run in to the 6 yard box poor defending from george

have watched it back fantastic ball in for evertons equaliser but baldock let his man run in to the 6 yard box poor defending from george
The attempt, or lack of, from Larouci to block the cross from the Everton man was woeful, Osborn exactly the same v Palace. You've got to try and block the initial cross. I think criticism on Egan is harsh in terms of ball watching because the players coming in are often behind Egan and if the ball is good then the attacker is facing towards the ball to attack it whereas any defender is less likely to be facing towards his goal and then has to clear back the other way. I think when Thomas comes in then we'll improve in this regard and Baldock is decent at blocking crosses also, he just got done by some decent skill by Grealish. Baldock at fault for not tracking the man for the second v Everton, not sure what he was trying to do there but it would haven't have happened if Larouci could have blocked the cross. If Larouci had stuck a foot out and it had gone between his legs I could have accepted that but to just run in tandem with the player is not enough to stop the cross as also the case with Osborn.

As I say, I'm hoping that Thomas will help make us a much tighter defence down the left side.

The first one v Everton annoys me. Why are none of our defenders reacting at all? Wes does brilliantly after no one has challenged the first shot, but then they’re all prone for him to have another go.

So frustrating and slow to react. We can’t be that languid in this league.

It's fair to say that we have a few things to work on defensively, but even with these problems we certainly are not a soft touch and are still making teams work hard for their goals.
Crucially we are sticking a few in at the other end which was a bigger problem last time we were up. I am confident we will improve all over the pitch but especially at the back.

BBC sport are putting the boot in today in the aftermath of our latest thrashing. They’re dragging up all the worst PL records including goals conceded.
It got me thinking how close we are to our own club record for goals conceded in a season.

We’ve conceded 90 or more goals on only 3 occasions. However all were over 42 games too.

96 in 1929-30
101 in 1933-34
90 in 1953-54

We’re well on course for this season to make that top three and could end up being a new club record.

101 / 42 = 2.4
38 x 2.4 = 91.2 so we should have no problem beating that.

BBC sport are putting the boot in today in the aftermath of our latest thrashing. They’re dragging up all the worst PL records including goals conceded.
It got me thinking how close we are to our own club record for goals conceded in a season.

We’ve conceded 90 or more goals on only 3 occasions. However all were over 42 games too.

96 in 1929-30
101 in 1933-34
90 in 1953-54

We’re well on course for this season to make that top three and could end up being a new club record.

101 / 42 = 2.4
38 x 2.4 = 91.2 so we should have no problem beating that.
We didn't get relegation in 1930 and 1954

Watch Souza tracking for the first goal, watch Souza and Anel sauntering about not marking all night.
Yet some blame John Egan, how many 5 ,6,7,8s did he concede. We miss him as much as we miss Ndiaye this season.

Back
Top Bottom