Could we have used these two?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Toronto Blade

Round the bend in the river
Reaction score
If you believe the Mirror,Reading boss Brendan Rodgers is planning a double swoop on his old club Watford for Jobi McAnuff and Tommy Smith.

The Royals are flush with cash following winger Stephen Hunt’s sale to Premier League Hull.

And Rodgers, who quit Vicarage Road for the Madejski Stadium at the end of last term, is prepared to pay around £2.5million for the pair.

Watford have been informed of Reading’s interest as striker Smith,29, is keen to link up with his former manager.

McAnuff,27, is also considering quitting after being offered a new contract at Watford on reduced terms.

And the Hornets are braced for McAnuff’s departure after lining up a bid for Barnet winger Albert Adomah

I did forget to include the ;) with my comment.

It seems to me we can have all the strikers in the world but if every time they receive the ball it is either:

a: at head height
b: travelling at 300mph
c: a 50/50 with a defender

They won't do better than the current bunch.

It's been said before and it will be said again our problems lie in the middle third of the pitch.

Tommy Smith was never going to come - he left Derby because he wanted to move back down south. This is completely fair enough - not everyone would want to live in Sheffield, no matter how much money they're offered in wages. I think it's refreshing that he's turned down the higher wages to stay where he wants to be, rather than chasing the dollar.

It's not a slight on our club, or an indication that we can't attract players - he was just one player who was never going to move up north, and I doubt there'd be anything we could do to change that.

Tommy Smith was never going to come - he left Derby because he wanted to move back down south. This is completely fair enough - not everyone would want to live in Sheffield, no matter how much money they're offered in wages. I think it's refreshing that he's turned down the higher wages to stay where he wants to be, rather than chasing the dollar.

It's not a slight on our club, or an indication that we can't attract players - he was just one player who was never going to move up north, and I doubt there'd be anything we could do to change that.

Agree with you there. You go on Blades Mad, and they slate him for not wanting to come, but he more than likely has family reasons, and has put that before the cash, which is refreshing this day in age!

To be fair, Blades Mad is also full of teenagers who want to form a group of 'Ultras' ;)

To be fair, Blades Mad is also full of teenagers who want to form a group of 'Ultras' ;)

that did make me laugh.

i bet they all wear burberry too! And they got a bit touchy when i mentioned having a group called 'Blades Ultras' would make them sound like a bunch of hooligans!

What's all this about? Is there a link to a topic or something on there? It sounds rather amusing!

Am I missing something? What are "Ultras"?

In England, the hooligan element of any club had these imaginative names like ICF, BBC, F Troop etc. They were an ad hoc collection of thugs and ne'er-do-wells who would get semi-organised to just beat the hell out of opposition hooligan groups

Ultras is the collective term for groups of fanatical supporters attached to European clubs, not formed exclusivley around violence. The behavioural tendency of ultras groups includes the use of flares—primarily in tifo choreography—, vocal support in large groups, defiance of the authorities and the display of banners at football stadiums, which are used to create an atmosphere which intimidates opposing players and supporters, as well as encouraging their own team. Consistently rivals with opposing supporters, ultras groups are often identified with their respective team. The actions of ultra fan groups can occasionally be overly extreme and are sometimes influenced by racial violence, political ideologies, cross-town derbies between clubs from the same city, and even from poor performances by the teams.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

I believe that the terms 'Ultras' and 'Fascists' are often used together...

Agreed. When BU first closed down, Blades Mad was the first place I looked, but I couldn't stand the text speak or the apparently compulsory swearing in every post.
This seems much more civilised :)

Agreed. When BU first closed down, Blades Mad was the first place I looked, but I couldn't stand the text speak or the apparently compulsory swearing in every post.
This seems much more civilised :)

The "txt" speak drives me mad, but it's more the gibbering content of the posts that I don't like. I came across fewer barking mad people when I used to work at High Royds Hospital (Leeds' equivalent of Middlewood). I thought it might be fun to post on there. It isn't.

Back
Top Bottom