Could the exodus of talent to Saudi play in our favour?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unless these Saudi teams can create revenues to justify their expenditure, it will eventually fail. The I in PIF stands for investment, and this project, like any other, has to ultimately stand on its own, and add value in some way.

My expectation is that they'll push to enter UEFA or find another way to play competitive games with European teams - this is their only hope, but even this scenario wouldn't make the numbers reported in the MBappe or Ronaldo deal viable or sustainable.

I'm short, the situation as it is today is almost certainly short/medium term. This influx of players will generate more interest in the league, but the project still lacks the components that attract people like us to football, components that can't be bought.

I'm thinking more the global audience than the domestic but the international rights make up a good chunk of the TV money. It will need to establish itself as a league and get good viewing figures but if it does that will be the results if there are less eyes on the PL.
A lot has to happen to get to that point.
Its been over hyped in my opinion,once the money grabbers have been satisfied it will die a death.
Football without a proper competition won't keep viewers.

In terms of the top teams having another crack at a euro league, it will be a real test for the new football regulator that the government is setting up. One of it's specific objectives is to stop English clubs joining closed shop competitions.
Let's see if it has any teeth, or not.

Tough job managing all those highly paid ego’s?

Didn’t Gerard head that way? Al Hilal
or some such?
You've not seen the 'scouse Arabic' videos then?! His ego eclipses all the rest of them put together so he'll be fine

Unless these Saudi teams can create revenues to justify their expenditure, it will eventually fail. The I in PIF stands for investment, and this project, like any other, has to ultimately stand on its own, and add value in some way.

My expectation is that they'll push to enter UEFA or find another way to play competitive games with European teams - this is their only hope, but even this scenario wouldn't make the numbers reported in the MBappe or Ronaldo deal viable or sustainable.

I'm short, the situation as it is today is almost certainly short/medium term. This influx of players will generate more interest in the league, but the project still lacks the components that attract people like us to football, components that can't be bought.
They are already are host for 2023 FIFA Club World Cup, they will probably bid for World Cup 2030 or 2034 and get it.

Above is their immediate short term goal.

It depends on how their approach is, picking off aging players is naturally a short term high cost strategy even though they have the money to splash around. If you look at the stadium names in the Saudi Pro league practically every one is named after a Prince. They have 4 divisions although the standard, I imagine won't be good past the top league.

Long term thought process is to develop their in house league structure, if they can use clubs they own a stake in overseas such as Newcastle they could easily divert the academy players to Saudi clubs rather than traditional route of going on loan to Championship/League 1 etc. Which although they aren't a Chelsea hoarder yet of players the more bigger signings they purchase will restrict the younger kids into the system which in turn will have a knock on.

This could then start the ball rolling for making it difficult for other clubs dependent on where the broadcast revenue is, if we as a Premier League club would like to say loan out Brewster for some match fitness and West Brom offer to take him but we are still paying wages or the other offer is a Saudi Div 2 club comes in offers to pay wages and a loan fee we probably know where he is going to end up. It probably wouldn't start a mass exodus but I can see more players going there.

Regarding broadcasting Sky have shown interest especially with Ronaldo and his games and imagine they will look to cover as many as possible. ESPN have coverage in the USA with Shahid the official streaming service for about £7 a month although no idea on language options or coverage on a similar note not sure why Richard Masters has said he isn't concerned about the Saudi Pro League in an interview with the BBC. The interview whilst relatively short came across quite arrogant. Time zone wise they are only 2 hours ahead so they align well with alot of Europe even for evening kick offs

Back
Top Bottom