Charlie Cresswell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LW_Blade

Reaction score
Seen we've been linked again with Richard's son Charlie of Leeds United. A central defender looking for a first team action.

Considering they are talking about 65-70m for Rafinha to Arsenal and 50m for Phillips to Man City, it would be criminal to let Berge leave for anything short of his release fee.
We'll never get anywhere near that though Champs! Phillips and Rafinha are not comparable to Berge in anyway to me; they're two of the better players in the PL, Berge is one of the better players in the Champ. Firstly he's two years older than when he arrived, and at 24 that's less desirable than when he arrived at 22. He's been injured for half of the time with us or thereabouts. He's really only established himself in the season just gone and of course in the second division at the end of the day.

If you think that Lewis -Potter is probably the most desirable talent from the Championship; I don't think many would disagree with that. I doubt they'll get more than £20m for him. Granted he's only got one more year of his contract but he's younger and has had an amazing season for a poor Hull side. I can't see us getting more than £15m for Berge; personally if that comes with a decent sell-on clause and we know Berge will be desperate to leave, I'd certainly be considering that if I was Bettis and Co. If Berge is happy to stay it's a different matter, but if the local press are right, and I think they probably are, then Berge wants to move. We run the risk of keeping a player who doesn't want to be here if not. We also need the money for investing in the rest of the team. The flip side is that Berge plays a big part in getting us promoted, but I'm not so sure we'll see Berge at his best if he wants out; we've seen that scenario before such as Michael Brown and Paul Devlin both of which were excelling for us until they wanted out and then their form dropped/head elsewhere.

Last pre-season Berge was coming off the back of a long injury, he'd played for a team that finished bottom in the PL and Berge did little when fit; not that I'm blaming him there, it would have been difficult for anyone to shine consistently in a team shot of confidence. So I think he would have accepted that he may have to spend a season with us and he had three years to run on his contract. Now though with a decent season just gone and back in the Norway team his stock is higher, he'll want to capitalise on that for a move. This may sound contradictory to the points above re the fee, but it doesn't mean we'll get anywhere near £35m in my view. I hope we can get our money back, but I very much doubt that either.

Back on topic, is Cresswell any better than Lopata? Probably not. Both U21 internationals. Our lad probably more experienced and a better record internationally.

The current coaching staff (probably wrongly) don't think Lopata is ready to start in the upper championship so why is this lad any more ready?

I would steer well clear of this and it feels like a swap deal fig-leaf to cover the board's embarrassment at considering selling our best player to the laughing stock up the M1.

Back on topic, is Cresswell any better than Lopata? Probably not. Both U21 internationals. Our lad probably more experienced and a better record internationally.

The current coaching staff (probably wrongly) don't think Lopata is ready to start in the upper championship so why is this lad any more ready?

I would steer well clear of this and it feels like a swap deal fig-leaf to cover the board's embarrassment at considering selling our best player to the laughing stock up the M1.
I wouldn’t take him as a make weight in the Berge deal but he’s one that’s being talked about as maybe going to the top of the game. CB’s take a while to really hit their stride though and taking him on would be a risk.

Both U21 internationals. Our lad probably more experienced and a better record internationally
Hasn't he played several time for England while Kaspar has played once or maybe twice for Poland?

Last edited:
Hasn't he played several time for England while Kaspar has played once or maybe twice for Poland?
I'm not saying he is a bad player but no experience of playing 'competitive mens football' as Wilder liked to bang on about.
If we are only having one young CB I would prefer to try Lopata first. Personally I wouldnt be against signing the kid as a potential for him and Lopata to eventually replace the back 5 with a flat back 4 and have 2 absolute monsters at centre back. Which is taking the OP a bit off topic....

I'm not saying he is a bad player but no experience of playing 'competitive mens football' as Wilder liked to bang on about.
If we are only having one young CB I would prefer to try Lopata first. Personally I wouldnt be against signing the kid as a potential for him and Lopata to eventually replace the back 5 with a flat back 4 and have 2 absolute monsters at centre back. Which is taking the OP a bit off topic....
Don’t think at this point getting Cresswell on a perm is on the table it’ll be a loan if it does happen. Maybe in a few years if he finds his pathway blocked.

No, you said he had more international experience, which he doesn't.

This man's football nonsense is meaningless. You're basically comparing two players based on nothing more than the fact one played non league so he'll be a good Championship player.

I am so glad our fans aren’t in charge of our negotiating 🤷‍♂️
Not sure if that's aimed at me in part and that's fair enough, but if it is what's your thoughts on Berge then? We keep him as an unhappy player?

I said it on the other thread about Cresswell that I’d like to blood our own youngsters first if they are good enough, but at the end of the day you have to go with ability so if there is a loaner youngster better than we have then we have to go down that route. Lopata is soon to be 21 and has played 17 non league games, hardly setting the world alight, Cresswell is very highly thought of and is 19 so has a year on Lopata but has played 5 times for Leeds 1st team already and also plays for England U21. It’s a no brainier for me.

Not sure if that's aimed at me in part and that's fair enough, but if it is what's your thoughts on Berge then? We keep him as an unhappy player?

I don't think it was specifically directed at you B4 or anyone in particular. Although there does appear to be quite a few on here that believe buying & selling players is far simpler than it actually is in practice - perhaps too many are basing their experience on Football Manager and are oblivious to some of the more challenging aspects inc. deal structuring, remuneration (package) negotiation, agents' involvement,, dependencies on other deals etc.

If highly experienced people that generally come from financial, legal or business (inc sports admin) backgrounds find it challenging, how can 19 year old Darren from Arbourthrorne, who works on the check-outs at Aldi by day and has taken Hallam FC to the Champions League final by night believe it is so easy?

So far this year there's those that are moaning because Utd haven't signed anyone yet, that players they wanted have gone to other clubs, that Utd won't be spending many millions on fees or offer more than other clubs - it's as ridiculous and it is amusing!

I don't think it was specifically directed at you B4 or anyone in particular. Although there does appear to be quite a few on here that believe buying & selling players is far simpler than it actually is in practice - perhaps too many are basing their experience on Football Manager and are oblivious to some of the more challenging aspects inc. deal structuring, remuneration (package) negotiation, agents' involvement,, dependencies on other deals etc.

If highly experienced people that generally come from financial, legal or business (inc sports admin) backgrounds find it challenging, how can 19 year old Darren from Arbourthrorne, who works on the check-outs at Aldi by day and has taken Hallam FC to the Champions League final by night believe it is so easy?

So far this year there's those that are moaning because Utd haven't signed anyone yet, that players they wanted have gone to other clubs, that Utd won't be spending many millions on fees or offer more than other clubs - it's as ridiculous and it is amusing!
Fair enough MOS, personally I will be honest that it is frustrating waiting because we all hoped we'd get something done early post the Bettis interview, but whilst that is preferable, as long as we get the right ones in before the start of the season or just after then we should do well. On Berge, which was my my point, I think we're going to have to accept that we may well have to let him go for less than we paid for as I said previously. I hope we get a decent fee if he goes, but my fear is that we can't go out and buy the likes of a Scott Twine until we know whether Berge is going or not because Berge going brings in several million quid of course. We really could do with that been concluded asap, but I can't see that happening because we clearly will drive for the highest fee we can get, understandably, and a bidding club will press for the lowest deal and no doubt with the agent in Berge's ear to down tools, hope I'm wrong there. Berge seems a top pro but I would imagine he'll really want to move to a top league this summer.

Back
Top Bottom