Changing strike force every season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

munksyb

Reaction score
Over the last 5 seasons we have often changed our main strike force

Sharp
McGoldrick
Duffy
2nd championship

McGoldrick
Sharp
McBurnie
Mousset
9th Premiership

McGoldrick
Burke
Sharp
Brewster
McBurnie
20th premier

MGW
Ndiaye
Sharp
McBurnie
Brewster
5th Championship

Ndiaye
McBurnie
McAtee
2nd Championship

So we have had 5 pretty good seasons and our recruitment has proved successful in the main

And now we will have to change again . And there’s no reason to believe it will be any less disastrous than previous seasons, and our new strikers may even work out better

1. If you think that represents overall successful recruitment at the top of the pitch, then that’s one on moi !

2. The common denominator here, and by far and away the best and most successful individual contributor has been jettisoned based on his age alone.

3. I genuinely fear that a strike force that comprises McB and / or Jebbo / Brew will see us falling spectacularly short in the goal scoring department.

4. We need 3 new strikers in the squad all of whom should be capable of dislodging those in 3 above.

UTB

Whilst I'm expecting him to go, as yet N'Diaye hasn't gone yet. Unfortunately I feel like the club have been utterly daft not offering him new terms before now.
Yes I realize they tried before Christmas, but it should have been after the 1st season for him. And what stopped them trying once promotion was sealed too?

But back on topic the front line and midfield are the 2 biggest areas that need improving.

If N'Diaye was staying then N'Diaye, McB, Traore and then one or both of Jebbo/Osula might be enough. That said I wouldn't be against another one, would love to see Archer even if on loan.

Whilst I'm expecting him to go, as yet N'Diaye hasn't gone yet. Unfortunately I feel like the club have been utterly daft not offering him new terms before now.
Yes I realize they tried before Christmas, but it should have been after the 1st season for him. And what stopped them trying once promotion was sealed too?

But back on topic the front line and midfield are the 2 biggest areas that need improving.

If N'Diaye was staying then N'Diaye, McB, Traore and then one or both of Jebbo/Osula might be enough. That said I wouldn't be against another one, would love to see Archer even if on loan.
'Enough' is subjective.

Enough players to get us through the season? Yes.

Enough to keep us up? Almost certainly not.

Sharp
McGoldrick
Duffy
2nd championship

McGoldrick
Sharp
McBurnie
Mousset
9th Premiership

McGoldrick
Burke
Sharp
Brewster
McBurnie
20th premier

MGW
Ndiaye
Sharp
McBurnie
Brewster
5th Championship

Ndiaye
McBurnie
McAtee
2nd Championship

So we have had 5 pretty good seasons and our recruitment has proved successful in the main

And now we will have to change again . And there’s no reason to believe it will be any less disastrous than previous seasons, and our new strikers may even work out better

I'm unconvinced that 2021 was a pretty good season in any respect, and certainly not for goals.

McGoldrick 8
Sharp 3 (2 pens)
Burke 1
McBurnie 1
Brewster 0

As things currently stand there are not 30 goals in the squad.

'Enough' is subjective.

Enough players to get us through the season? Yes.

Enough to keep us up? Almost certainly not.
Enough is subjective of course.
In an ideal world we would be able to spend more and sign strikers that would hopefully improve our chances. But apparently we can't spend much in the grand scheme of things.

However if we did manage to keep N'Diaye that would be a big boost for us and our chances.

Thing is goals don't have to just come from the forwards either, in 19-20 season we weren't high scorers but Moussett, Lundstram, Fleck, McBurnie were the players with most goals.

Apart from the two promotion seasons none of those strike forces set any leagues alight, so are you surprised that we changed regularly. McBurnie scored only 6 goals after his £17mil move before he didn't start scoring regualry until three seasons after that. We've relied on Sharp for way too long. Mousset should have been prolific and great but the fat, lazy prick wasted his potential on his ego and arrogance. He had the attributes and killer instinct and finishing of a top striker, but sadly lacked the mentality to embrace it.

We currently have
McBurnie - 7 goals in 59 Premier League games
Brewster - 0 goals in 27 Premier League games
Jebbison - 1 goal in 4 Premier League games
Osula - n/a

Granted, we struggled to score in our first top flight season, 39 in 38 matches, and were worse in the relegation season.

Last edited:
Of course you’re all correct.

So let’s not bother,

We’ll just hang on until some nice multi billionaire gives us £500,000,000 to throw away & then see if we can outspend everyone else.

Meanwhile living in the real world
Hecky is trying to buy on a sustainable budget & replicate finding a couple of gems from wherever he can.

Reliable goalscorers have always been the hardest players to get as they're so expensive. In the Championship you might unearth a cheap gem from League One or League Two, but to find a player who will get you at least 10 goals in the top flight will set you back at least £20-£25mil. Look at what Newcastle and Villa laid for Joelinton and Westley and what they got in return.

We've never been blessed with reliable goalscorers. Only Sharp, Beattie and Evans immediately spring to mind, and Ched only came good in League One, he was bang average in the Championship and Billy scored less than McBurnie in the top flight. Lord knows we've signed dozens of bang average ones over the last 20 years.

We’re 2 strikers light even if Ndiaye stays. I have no confidence in the other 3 whatsoever. Hopefully Hecky can find a few real bargains.

We’re 2 strikers light even if Ndiaye stays. I have no confidence in the other 3 whatsoever. Hopefully Hecky can find a few real bargains.
I can't see McBurnie improving on his previous top flight tally unless he stops his off ball thuggery. We don't need a target man, we need a goal scorer. Jebbo will be a good impact sub and Osula will probably go back out on loan until Christmas.

I can't see McBurnie improving on his previous top flight tally unless he stops his off ball thuggery. We don't need a target man, we need a goal scorer. Jebbo will be a good impact sub and Osula will probably go back out on loan until Christmas.
Never understand the term "impact sub" , surely that's the reason you bring a sub on , except for injury, can't imagine a manager saying right son get warmed up and when u get on I want you to have no impact on the game , because u aren't my impact sub and whilst I'm at it it's the same with oh " he starts on the bench today" no he doesn't he either starts or he's on the bench

1. If you think that represents overall successful recruitment at the top of the pitch, then that’s one on moi !

2. The common denominator here, and by far and away the best and most successful individual contributor has been jettisoned based on his age alone.

3. I genuinely fear that a strike force that comprises McB and / or Jebbo / Brew will see us falling spectacularly short in the goal scoring department.

4. We need 3 new strikers in the squad all of whom should be capable of dislodging those in 3 above.

UTB
Hardly on age alone !! Level of performance comes into it.

Jebbison to have the same impact as Lundstram did in that first PL season. You heard it here first!!!

UTB
5. We’re a million miles off in midfield to feed them as well?

That is not what Hecky said, but is now accepted as his view.
The level of performance must be a criteria in any decision
It’s what Sharp has said. That’s good enough for me.

It was his age and his age alone that led to the board insisting on not renewing. Didn’t tick the box and so that was that.

Performance levels over the last couple of seasons (yes that includes last season as well) no where near as bad as you, and others, have made out.

No where near.

If he manages to get a decent move to a progressive side (unlikely to be Rotherham!) we will see how performance levels have dropped next season.

Shouldn’t we ??

UTB

It’s what Sharp has said. That’s good enough for me.

It was his age and his age alone that led to the board insisting on not renewing. Didn’t tick the box and so that was that.

Performance levels over the last couple of seasons (yes that includes last season as well) no where near as bad as you, and others, have made out.

No where near.

If he manages to get a decent move to a progressive side (unlikely to be Rotherham!) we will see how performance levels have dropped next season.

Shouldn’t we ??

UTB
I understand all that, but someone had to make decision as to whether he would be an asset in the PL, taking into account the cost of a new contract.
Whether that decision was right or wrong we will never know unless a PL takes him on, which is unlikely.
Personally I hope that next season he does what makes him and his family happy.

I understand all that, but someone had to make decision as to whether he would be an asset in the PL, taking into account the cost of a new contract.
Whether that decision was right or wrong we will never know unless a PL takes him on, which is unlikely.
Personally I hope that next season he does what makes him and his family happy.
Less of an asset than any of the other strikers under contract ?

That’s the issue. It may turn out to be a mistake.

Personally, I am pleased he has moved on as it would be a shame to see him not get much pitch time with us next season and play 2nd fiddle to others he simply should not be playing 2nd fiddle to. Even in the PL.

Can’t say the same for some of the others I might have to endure !!

UTB

Sharp
McGoldrick
Duffy
2nd championship

McGoldrick
Sharp
McBurnie
Mousset
9th Premiership

McGoldrick
Burke
Sharp
Brewster
McBurnie
20th premier

MGW
Ndiaye
Sharp
McBurnie
Brewster
5th Championship

Ndiaye
McBurnie
McAtee
2nd Championship

I'm with you, all fucking Burkes fault!👍

Strike force? Some of those listed seem a bit hard pushed to think of as PL goalscorers.

Jebbison to have the same impact as Lundstram did in that first PL season. You heard it here first!!!
Well I thought it too but the first person I saw openly state it was some woman underneath a Blades Way or Ramble video (can't remember which). Towards the end of last season Jebbo looked different in some way, much more football savvy looking for the pass around the box rather than letting fly himself. I hope his progress continues he could be the next '5 PL goals in a season man' next year!

Back
Top Bottom