BladesPod: Roy's Super League rant & Memorable Match: SUFC 3-3 West Ham, Jan 2004

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
Morning all,

Just wanted to share our latest episode, as we pack quite a bit into it - and Roygbiv's rant about the short-lived "Super League" is definitely worth a listen. We also discuss the pain of relegation (l o l), the Blades chairman stepping down (¯\(ツ)/¯) before getting into our memorable match for this episode - a thrilling 3-3 draw with a pretty-stacked West Ham team, back in 2004. Debut goals from Paul Shaw and Jon Harley (sadly, for West Ham), Marlon Harewood's billionth goal against us, Stephen Bywater playing a blinder for 92 and a half minutes, and a dramatic late equaliser in front of the Kop. Also features in-depth discussion of Bywater upsetting his neighbours with a lewd art collection.

Thank you as always for listening, and UTB.

Here on Apple and Spotify.

The teams that day:

1619081263575.png

For anyone who would like to see the highlights, the best I can find online are in potato quality, but here ya go (oddly enough I have a DVD of the full match that someone on Bladesunited burned for me back in the day - hat tip to Fleetwood Blade if you happen to still exist on here in some form...)

Morning all,

Just wanted to share our latest episode, as we pack quite a bit into it - and Roygbiv's rant about the short-lived "Super League" is definitely worth a listen. We also discuss the pain of relegation (l o l), the Blades chairman stepping down (¯\(ツ)/¯) before getting into our memorable match for this episode - a thrilling 3-3 draw with a pretty-stacked West Ham team, back in 2004. Debut goals from Paul Shaw and Jon Harley (sadly, for West Ham), Marlon Harewood's billionth goal against us, Stephen Bywater playing a blinder for 92 and a half minutes, and a dramatic late equaliser in front of the Kop. Also features in-depth discussion of Bywater upsetting his neighbours with a lewd art collection.

Thank you as always for listening, and UTB.

Here on Apple and Spotify.

The teams that day:

View attachment 111151

For anyone who would like to see the highlights, the best I can find online are in potato quality, but here ya go (oddly enough I have a DVD of the full match that someone on Bladesunited burned for me back in the day - hat tip to Fleetwood Blade if you happen to still exist on here in some form...)

Cannot remember that game at all, I would have been 20 at the time so probably pissed for the match.

Just watched the highlights and noted a few things:

• One of their players was floored on our 2nd goal, that would have been disallowed in today's game.
  • Michael Tonge had the fastest penalty approach I've ever seen, it can only have been momentum that moved the ball towards goal.
  • Carrick looks really tall and the mullet is terrible, however if he'd have gone clean through like that with the current team we'd have not been happy unless we'd given him a penalty and got a player sent off.

I remember it well with one exception. Deano on the west ham bench, don't even remember him playing for them!

Cannot remember that game at all, I would have been 20 at the time so probably pissed for the match.

Just watched the highlights and noted a few things:

• One of their players was floored on our 2nd goal, that would have been disallowed in today's game.

We talk about that. It's Anton Ferdinand, I don't know if he actually gets kicked in the face but I agree it would almost certainly be given as a foul now. A few minutes later he's the one who bundles Pesch over for the penalty...

We talk about that. It's Anton Ferdinand, I don't know if he actually gets kicked in the face but I agree it would almost certainly be given as a foul now. A few minutes later he's the one who bundles Pesch over for the penalty...
Will listen now, I’m in the office and it’s quiet!

Speaking of "Living with Madeley" I caught up with the "Threads" episode last night. Unless I missed it did Roygbiv not pick up that Zak Dingle* was in it ?

*disclaimer. Not a fan of Emmerdale Farm or soaps in general ....... I was once married.

He was in the bunker under the town hall ...... not just randomly found there by the emergency planners when they all went down, in some sort of official capacity.

Speaking of "Living with Madeley" I caught up with the "Threads" episode last night. Unless I missed it did Roygbiv not pick up that Zak Dingle* was in it ?

*disclaimer. Not a fan of Emmerdale Farm or soaps in general ....... I was once married.

I really enjoyed that one. Saw Threads at school when I was about 13. It both scared me witless and led to much juvenile mirth.

The woman weeing herself. The fella dealing rats for food. And him out of Home To Roost acting “serious”. 👍

Just listened to the Football Italia episode of Roygbiv ’s pod. Highly recommended for folk of my vintage. The medley of Peter Brackley’s pro evo game commentaries is worth the download on its own.

One thing that I don’t think was mentioned about that glorious first season of Football Italia was that it coincided with the new back pass rule. That seemed to disrupt the defensive method of the league and led to loads of cracking matches.

Back
Top Bottom