Berge and Ndiaye, their future?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Charlieblade

Reaction score
Now that promotion has been secured, why would they want to leave? Berge has not gone on strike for a move! His National manager wants him playing in a top league. Job jobbed.

Ndiaye is enjoying his football and the squad ethos at United, so why would he want to leave? Negotiating improved contracts for both players should not be beyond the club, but what if they both think they deserve better?

Both players have been the subject of offers from other PL sides, and probably a few European teams too. EPL is the place to be for players of their calibre. United are unlikely to establish themselves as a top 6 club without them, and other clubs can easily afford the wages and incentives that would be demanded for them.

In my opinion there are only 3 clubs that can offer what is required by such ambitious quality players, Clubs that will give them the game time that their undoubted finesse will require. Yes Berge never pulled any trees up last time I the prem, and Ndiaye has never played at that level before. I cannot be alone in believing that Ndiaye is a truly gifted performer who will turn it on at any level. Berge is a very different individual, who lacks belief in his own ability.

Do not waste their time with desultory offers from lightweight clubs like Everton and West Ham, or clubs that consistently lose their way, like Chelsea and Spurs.

In my opinion, there are only 3 clubs that could meet both players needs. Those clubs are quality aspirational sides, that require a special player to make them great.

In alphabetical order they are Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle.

It’s an opinion. Have at it! 🙈

Now that promotion has been secured, why would they want to leave?

Both players have been the subject of offers from other PL sides, and probably a few European teams too. EPL is the place to be for players of their calibre. United are unlikely to establish themselves as a top 6 club without them, and other clubs can easily afford the wages and incentives that would be demanded for them.
I love threads that answer their own questions :)

Berge- big fee for us, do t see him signing a new deal…will walk for nowt.
But…if he plays a full next season without injury he may have contributed to another season in the Premier League.
So…for all those saying he’s an expensive flop he’s been pivotal in us getting back up and has already repaid his fee and wages over the term of his contract…keep us up and he’s well in the positive!

Ndiaye- even more of a bargain than Berge…the main reason we’ve gone up…and again if we keep him next season will be our best chance of him keeping us there.

Both may fancy a move, I’d refuse them both as we wouldn’t be able to afford to find suitable replacements and need to fund other areas of improvement.

So for me if they leave for free then so be it.

Now that promotion has been secured, why would they want to leave? Berge has not gone on strike for a move! His National manager wants him playing in a top league. Job jobbed.

Ndiaye is enjoying his football and the squad ethos at United, so why would he want to leave? Negotiating improved contracts for both players should not be beyond the club, but what if they both think they deserve better?

In my opinion there are only 3 clubs that can offer what is required by such ambitious quality players, Clubs that will give them the game time that their undoubted finesse will require. Yes Berge never pulled any trees up last time I the prem, and Ndiaye has never played at that level before. I cannot be alone in believing that Ndiaye is a truly gifted performer who will turn it on at any level. Berge is a very different individual, who lacks belief in his own ability.

Do not waste their time with desultory offers from lightweight clubs like Everton and West Ham, or clubs that consistently lose their way, like Chelsea and Spurs.

In my opinion, there are only 3 clubs that could meet both players needs. Those clubs are quality aspirational sides, that require a special player to make them great.

Berge
I’d say that he needs/ is advised to move to a big club but many will be unlikely to see him as proven… his strength is on the ball and probably needs the grafters and protectors around him to allow him to do his thing… he works hard himself so it’s not about being work shy

I think for Berge his biggest motivator is European football. His agent will convince him he needs it sooner because he’s played there

Most Likely rumours in January: Spurs or Chelsea..
Likely to end up at: West Ham, Leicester or Everton (If they stay up)
When?: Next summer

Ndiaye
He’s not afraid to graft, bide his time and do things the hard way but has an abundance of talent that will be only limited by his choices

If rumours are to be believed then we don’t pay him what he thinks he’s worth and this is probably where the answer is pushed by agents…

He deserves to play in a side where he can get on the ball and do less of the grunt work. He’ll get a better deal with us but perhaps not what he could get elsewhere or should be getting. We won’t break the club for him…

The sad thing is that we should be getting a massive pay deal for our role in his final steps of development but due to the way contracts work we may miss out…

I liken him to Grealish, but less fally over and complainy.

Rumours in Jan: Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool
Likely to end up at: West Ham, Villa, Brighton, Fulham, Arsenal or Liverpool

I don’t think either are money motivated, but money will talk for both. I don’t think we will be able to hold onto Ndiaye beyond January, we might get him extended a bit longer but can see him gone either in the summer or jan

Berge I think will be sold if/ when we get relegated.. but if we also don’t get European football he’ll be off as well. He’s a different player to last time but I don’t think he’s done enough to really warrant a big move and I think he’s not going to be squeezed until the summer

Definitely agree with the view that their time would be better served staying with us, I'd add Anel into the conversation too. If we can meet their wage demands, they are all likely to get more game time with us than elsewhere and really show what they can do at the top level. Ndiaye more so than Berge, who has less time to prove himself at the top and probably needs to kick on on his career. I've always been told that if you let your progression stagnate, you get pigeonholed at a certain level and I think this applies to Berge now.

I guess the worry is, they don't necessarily want to be in one of the weakest teams in the league, it makes them look bad, but then if they all stay and we add strength, we could be really competitive.

Would obviously be delighted to see them all stay.

Big clubs won’t go near Berge until he proves that he can win headers and be strong defensively. He has lots of ability, but not enough to stand out in terms of ability at a very big club.

I think greedy agents are at work for both players.
Offer both improved deals with realistic release clauses
Both players and agents get a payday
otherwise keep both and let contracts run down
We need to have them both next season to retain Premier League status

We don't have much chance of staying up but I expect us to be more competitive than in 2020-21 when we relegated by November.

If I was in any position of influence then the first reasonable offer that came in for Berge I'd accept. He can/has been good, in short spells, in the Championship. He won't be very often at all in the PL for reasons we've all debated 150 times before and I wouldn't want to go through all that again. I'm certain he could be replaced by a more mobile midfielder with at least equal technical ability if those who assess our transfer targets had anything about them - which they probably don't. In fact, we need three such midfielders who can actually move themselves around the field quicker than chess pieces. I don't actually expect we will receive an offer for Berge anyway.

As for Ndiaye, if he departs then that very small chance we have of staying up will be reduced to a dot on the horizon.

Ndiaye is definitely being pushed away by his agent, he's a hot property with a short contract and they know they'll make a pretty penny on him. IMO he'd benefit from another 6 months in the Prem with us.

Berge I think will stay and leave on a free at the end of the season

dont disagree with you sentiments mate, but unless you know them personally its hard to say what influence their agents have

if they have a good agent who has the best interest of the player they would be advised to sign a new deal, with a release clause thats reasonable, a £50k+ basic and bonusses, and we should give it them

if the agent is thinking about their wallet, they will be agitating them to move, explaining that they could get £100k+ elsewhere, and citing players like Maguire, Walker & Ramsdale who have left us to excel.

You may scoff at teams like West Ham Everton and Spurs, but they pay well - Zouma £120k, Iwobi £120k, Romero £165k - we could maybe get to half this but you then look at squad harmony, im sure the team realise the importance of the Illy & Berge, but Wes has kept 17 clean sheets and is on £6k!

Ultimately its in the hands of the player, of course we can force them to stay, but with what effort level, if they refuse I say sell them to the highest bidder, cash upfront, non of this amortised across 7 year bollox, and invest 100% of that in the next Berge, Illy.

On a personal level, they dont seem like pricks, Richarlison, Gordon kiss the badge after 2 games pricks - so hopefully they give us 12 months in the prem having contributed to getting us there, on a new contract and we build around them for years to come

We get approx £160 million +/- , if we give both say £100k pw, that's £10.4 million each for a 2 year contract, under £21 million for our two most pivotal players.
Surely that's a no brainer?
Not even the price of an equal or possibly lesser replacement for either.

We don't have much chance of staying up but I expect us to be more competitive than in 2020-21 when we relegated by November.

If I was in any position of influence then the first reasonable offer that came in for Berge I'd accept. He can/has been good, in short spells, in the Championship. He won't be very often at all in the PL for reasons we've all debated 150 times before and I wouldn't want to go through all that again. I'm certain he could be replaced by a more mobile midfielder with at least equal technical ability if those who assess our transfer targets had anything about them - which they probably don't. In fact, we need three such midfielders who can actually move themselves around the field quicker than chess pieces. I don't actually expect we will receive an offer for Berge anyway.

As for Ndiaye, if he departs then that very small chance we have of staying up will be reduced to a dot on the horizon.
Difficult on Berge, weirdly I think he will look better in the prem where its not quite as robust and players get a little more time
However if you were going into war he isnt the bloke you'd want at the side of you, yes if your popping into a Sushi restaurant, but not a battle
If we can get £20m, id see if we can get Sean Longstaff out of Newcastle, think they will go big in the market this summer, and for his workrate, tenacity and no little skill I would just rather have him than Sander - altho if we can have them both together, Longstaff doing the ugly stuff for Sander to drive us forward that would be a decent pairing

Ultimately its in the hands of the player, of course we can force them to stay, but with what effort level, if they refuse I say sell them to the highest bidder, cash upfront, non of this amortised across 7 year bollox, and invest 100% of that in the next Berge, Illy.

Think the problem is we'll probably receive at the most
a bid of £10 million for Berger and at best £15 million for N'Diaye.

Don't think we'll get much re-investing that amount in replacements.
Hence why it might be best to keep both, then let them leave on a free.
However as they know their future is elsewhere, they might do a Lundstrum and lose form next season.

I think we have a little bit of a problem in that you have these super rich (relative to world football) 2nd season PL teams, that Ndiaye would walk straight into a starting role with

Look at forest for an example of this - spent 40m on MGW, what’s stopping them from doing it again next season on Ndiaye? Can we really turn down that amount for Iliman?

Everton and Newcastle are lesser examples but as i’m not too sure he’d walk straight into the starting lineups (but might!)… theyve got serious financial clout that we’d be silly to turn our noses up at

I’d tell them both they’re not leaving this summer or in January and offer them both new contracts with release clauses in. If they want to sign great, if not they can walk for free next summer if they’re not injured.

If we can’t get them to sign long-term deals we should offer them a one year extension as a last throw of the dice, this will still give us some value if they are sold at the end of next season.
Pay decent wages and offer a percentage of the future transfer fee in 12 months time to make up for any extra wages they could earn elsewhere over the coming season.
With N’diaye his value could shoot up when he’s proven in the Prem and if there is a hint they want a crack at it next year with their teammates/friends it might just persuade them to do it.

Difficult on Berge, weirdly I think he will look better in the prem where its not quite as robust and players get a little more time
However if you were going into war he isnt the bloke you'd want at the side of you, yes if your popping into a Sushi restaurant, but not a battle
If we can get £20m, id see if we can get Sean Longstaff out of Newcastle, think they will go big in the market this summer, and for his workrate, tenacity and no little skill I would just rather have him than Sander - altho if we can have them both together, Longstaff doing the ugly stuff for Sander to drive us forward that would be a decent pairing

Although I agree with you we won't be able to afford a player like that based on salary expectations alone unless he's loaned out.

The players we need to bring in, and thee's not a boatload of them, should be from the other major European leagues.

Berge might stay if we had could keep the two man City boys .Or a couple similar with pace and athleticism.
Tell him he is going into a PL season alongside a Norwood and Fleck and his agent will have him out of town, after Birmingham.

Think the problem is we'll probably receive at the most
a bid of £10 million for Berger and at best £15 million for N'Diaye.

Don't think we'll get much re-investing that amount in replacements.
Hence why it might be best to keep both, then let them leave on a free.
However as they know their future is elsewhere, they might do a Lundstrum and lose form next season.
Cant see illiman being short on effort , its not in the lads nature , but Berge looked like Lundstrams brother for a long
time this season , only improving in the last few matches

If we can’t get them to sign long-term deals we should offer them a one year extension as a last throw of the dice, this will still give us some value if they are sold at the end of next season.
Pay decent wages and offer a percentage of the future transfer fee in 12 months time to make up for any extra wages they could earn elsewhere over the coming season.
With N’diaye his value could shoot up when he’s proven in the Prem and if there is a hint they want a crack at it next year with their teammates/friends it might just persuade them to do it.
He’s on £50k, we could match that, we gave Berge & McB £40k a week and they were unproven at prem level, longstaff has played over 100 prem games

That notwithstanding we should be scouring Europe, we need to model ourselves on Brighton, cucarella, bisouma and trossard leave for £120m, they bring thro mitoma, caisado and estupian

Neither of them good enough to play regularly if at all for those clubs.

Ndiaye wants to play for Marseille that's his dream

Ideally I think we should offer N'Diaye a new BIG MONEY 3 year contract and sell Berge to pay for it.

Neither of them good eh enough to play regularly if at all for those clubs.
I don’t believe either player is motivated solely by money. If that was true they could get top wages and a guaranteed start at places like West Ham or Leicester.
They are both class players at different places in their development, and would be wasting their time at a relegation threatened PL club. (That includes us)!
They can stay at the lane until January, unless someone offers silly money, e.g. 25m plus.
They need two things in life and that is regular football at a club with the potential to win things, and decent wages.

If it was all about money they could have cashed in by now. My opinions are based on what is best for the players, perhaps with a slight bias towards our club.

The players and their agents might see things differently. The Prince will also see things from a different view.
The saving grace is that they are both model professionals, and neither seems likely to down tools over it. They are both in a strong position anyway - for now!

I think part of the issue is also where they and their agents are from.

I’ve done this rant before, but for me, rather than the pinnacle of competition, European football in the main is wank.

They are at a level where they’d either be regulars joining a European team who would get their arses handed to them as soon as they played someone half decent, having progressed a few rounds against Luxembourg and Latvian minnows. Or they would get picked up by a bigger club and have 15 minute cameos to look forward to.

Ndiaye must be very tempted to stay for a year and then join Marseilles. It’s a weaker league so he’d be able to perform well and Marseilles will be good enough to be in Europe. So he’ll tick a couple of boxes as well as playing for the team he supports. Plus his greedy agent, who was difficult to negotiate with when he’d not even made a first team start, will be looking to line his pockets. Only by recruiting well and showing we can be a decent team will we likely have any hope of retaining him.

For Berge he currently plays for a team that will get 30k top flight gates. I’m not sure how many teams who fulfil the criteria will take him and make him a regular. The last two years should have dispelled the myth that he is somehow better than us. You could make a case that 4 or 5 others are more important to the team than he is. Now we are promoted, he’s probably at a club that reflects his standing. He just happens to have a year left which may see a greedy agent encouraging him to move sideways just to pocket a signing on fee.

A lot will depend on who we can bring in. Get another 5 or 6 of the quality of Anel and they may decide they want to be part of this team longer. Line ourselves up as easy relegation fodder from day one and perhaps not!

Too many variables, which is why I suggest waiting until January, to see where they are as PL players, and where we are as a club. 🤷‍♂️

Remains to be seen how it will pan out this summer with them both.

However we all keep saying they have 12 months left on their deals... Wouldn't surprise me especially in Sanders case if there is additional 12 month option for us which would make it 2 years left effectively.
If the same is included in Ilimans deal then this 1 year left stuff isn't really accurate.

Iliman we must at least try to get him on a new deal. Now we are promoted we could be saying "your gonna be playing at the top level next season with a club who are all behind you, you are a deffo starter if you put the effort in and this will give you chance to develop" plus means not moving young family around.

Back
Top Bottom