A gamble not to sign anyone?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Harry's Game

Reaction score
Starting to get the feeling we will not bring anyone in before the Carlisle game, I also think that Weir and co have got one eye on when any loan signings would have to return to the parent club and currently that would be early December thus missing the fixtures over Xmas and the New Year. If wait until the beginning of October then we can make the loan period run into the next transfer window and make any loan signing permanent or at least extend it until the end of the season.

I think they are gambling that the curent squad can take 4 points off Carlisle and Preston, accept defeat against Wolves and then look at signings for the Crawley game and beyond.

It would be a big gamble to take though, a loss at Carlisle and all hell will break out on here and other forums and I suspect a few phone calls taking place between Brussles and Saudi.

Get a month loan in by then Miller should be ready.

I don't think we should rely on Miller coming back. Hopefully he will, but we are way too short up front and he might not make it.

UTB

Is there a fixed period for these loans ie 3 months?
If so would you want these higher profile players to be going back to their parent clubs on Decemeber 12th?

Just a thought.

Is there a fixed period for these loans ie 3 months?
If so would you want these higher profile players to be going back to their parent clubs on Decemeber 12th?

Just a thought.

Yes that's what I am saying if we signed, for example, Leon Clarke tomorrow he would have to return to Coventry on 13th Decemmber. If he had done well and we wanted to sign him for longer we would have to wait until January 3rd when the transfer window opens, and of course there is no guarantee we could get him back.

Cant see how Miller will make any difference whatsoever in the current formation.
He plays better off a target man as he has good anticipation.
With no service he will struggle. Just as the others have done on their own in isolation.

Yes that's what I am saying if we signed, for example, Leon Clarke tomorrow he would have to return to Coventry on 13th Decemmber. If he had done well and we wanted to sign him for longer we would have to wait until January 3rd when the transfer window opens, and of course there is no guarantee we could get him back.

The max is 93 days so they would be eligible for Swindon home game on Dec 14 but not the remaining 3 games in December: Stevenage (a) Oldham and Tranmere at home.

If we wait until Friday September 27, they'd miss the next two games Carlisle away and Preston home but be available for all games up to the end of December including Wolves away on September 28.

That might be the call of judgement if they want to sign someone permanently on Jan 1.

I like all Blades await the return of Millar but the lad suffered a terrible injury and his comeback will be steady.

I think we can write him off as an option until the New Year.

As others have stated this is all down to timing. Weir has stated several times that we will not be relying on loan signings this season. That doesn't mean there isn't going to be any, but it does probably mean none now as they would be mid-december returns to their club. So expect loans with a view to being made permanent when the JTW opens so sit back and wait for a couple of weeks and then see what happens.

Don't expect too many - there is a limit to how many can be in the match day squad.

We already have Coady and Bunn on loan so there will only be room for another 2 or 3 in any case.
Not sure that is enough to alter the squad sufficiently to play the way Weir wants them to play.

Still maintain a different striker (of the quality we can afford) will not make any significant difference at the moment - we aren't even feeding the one's we have with any more than one chance a game and with them being isolated up front on their own, there are no bursting runs from midfield to give them a hand.

Baxter's goal against Rovrum was from a throw in - not passing football - where he caught them napping. For all it's worth we might as well have hoofed it down the channels and seen how many opps we could have created in a similar fashion.

It's still worth noting that a goal scored from a throw in is worth exactly the same as a goal scored as a result of 30 plus passes.

I'm all for good football but I like exciting football as well. Attempts on goal that get you off the edge of your seat (wish we had standing on terraces, mind) are what get people into football grounds. I suspect the way we are playing the "passing game" at the moment is more of a 'keeping the ball away from the opposition so they cannot score' mentality. However, given the quality of the player we have executing this strategy we are prone to shooting ourselves in the foot more so than causing any annoyance in our attacking third.

Time will tell - we do need to wait and be patient but wouldn't it just be like Sheffield United to fuck this up even though it looks like all the ducks are beginning to line up and quack in unison?

The Blades Way?

I suspect Weir will wait a couple of weeks & then make his move.

Was he foolish for not getting maximum leverage with the investment cash? possibly.But hes sticking to his guns & wont spunk the cash everywere & waste it. Time will tell if he made the right call.

Back
Top Bottom