A few quick questions for you all.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
David Weir openly admitted in his press conference at the weekend that "things aren't working", well derr I think we all know this considering where we sit in the table and the results and lack of goals so far however.

Let's say Weir brings in a striker before the Preston game and reverts to a traditional 4-4-2, he continues to attempt to play football but we have more options in the box.

Would this buy Weir more respect from fans?

Would this potentially buy Weir more time in his job?

Would this earn Weir a little more respect from fans for admitting his wrongs and daring to change things?

Would you still back Weir / Blame Weir if he did this and we still got hammered?

Would you give Weir some stick if we won for not adopting this style from the off?

Would it bring instant results?

I honestly think that switching to 4-4-2 and a more direct game plan would bring more or less instant results if we get a target man especially so. We all think we know how to manage a football team and all think we can do better than the manager at times but in this instance I think it's blatently obvious.

At the minute without that target man do I think 4-4-2 will work? I don't think it will be as effective however the extra man in the box at the minute would be welcome.

Will I knock Weir should he change it? I will knock him but I will welcome him and give him a little bit of credit for going against his morals and changing things in search of improving.

Do I think it will get results. Yes definitely.

Do I think it will buy Wier more time? I don't personally think his job is anywhere near in threat at the minute however the timing of the Wilson sacking shocked me regardless of the string of results. I do think a couple of wins and a few points on the board would get a few fans back on side.

All this talk of 4-4-2 is irrelevant hes come out and said hes sticking with one up front

All this talk of 4-4-2 is irrelevant hes come out and said hes sticking with one up front

It's fairly relevant to ask what others who are shouting their mouths off about the manager would do, I think.

You're right in so much as its looking doubtful. I believe it will be his downfall unfortunately.

UTB

It's fairly relevant to ask what others who are shouting their mouths off about the manager would do, I think.

You're right in so much as its looking doubtful. I believe it will be his downfall unfortunately.

UTB

I must admit if I were manager I would give 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 a go in the short term but it is looking doubtful he will try anything different and stick with one up front

If he doesn't go 4-4-2, he's signing his own death warrant.

He can win everybody over, for a bit at least, if we go out and thrash a few teams. You can't really expect to be a popular manager, when your team can't score a goal and gets beat every week. You aren't a good salesman if you never sell any cars. You aren't a good manager if you never win any games. Really is as simple as that. His job is to get our players, no matter how crap they are, to go out and beat Preston. Don't think anybody can see us doing that with our current style of play.

Extra striker might help for sure. Even if we did that "mid-game" it would show he's trying summat different.
I'd like to see a different attitude from the players as well, a bit more bite.. It has been sadly lacking so far & I'm not sure if its down to the players, coaching or a lack of motivation maybe?? Dunno, it's impossible for us plebs to say!

He's a youngster in coaching terms & it's like owt else in life: you have to fall off the bike a few times before you learn how to ride it properly. Shame we are providing that training period for him and i hope come the end of the season we haven't suffered too much.
But we all knew the gamble that a rookie coach can be & there are some good examples out there of flops. They normally concentrate on TV careers afterwards.......

UTB FTO
Keep the faith.

What formation and how he wants us to play will all be irrelevant if we start winning and moving up the table if we don't start winning then he will be sacked!! I don't give a damn what formation or how we play as long as we are winning, but I'd rather see direct football that gets us results an in the top six than boring dross tippy tappy crap that sits us in the bottom four..

This talk of formations is pointless.

As long as there's no movement into space off the ball when we have it and no pressing when we don't, all that will change is the specific areas in which players hang around waiting for something to happen.

Looks like he's bought himself a length of rope and a rickity stool with that statement

It's not going to be nice at BDTBL if Preston win

DW obviously believes this formation will work eventually , it takes a brave bloke to stick to his guns , when he has one pointing ready to go off.
I believe he will have identified the problems, good quality quick full backs and a fast power house up front are all this system needs to click Imo .

Lots of people saying we should play 4-4-2.

Not many people saying who would play in midfield in said 4-4-2.

Lots of people saying we should play 4-4-2.

Not many people saying who would play in midfield in said 4-4-2.

There is a player we have in midfield and it doesn't matter who has played with him over the last 2 years, however they have been awful. Anyway, can't drop the captain of our great ship.

From watching a few teams we are trying to emulate and taking Swansea as an example the problems are

1. The 2 wingers don't stay high enough up the pitch and face the right direction.
2. When said wingers receive the ball the full backs should overlap.
3. The 2 midfielders are there to cover the space left by the full backs.
4. if 1 and 2 happen then the striker will receive more space

If this is not what Weir is telling them, then we have the wrong man OR the players are not brave enough to do the right thing. If 1 and 2 happen then 4 happens. We are conceding goals because of mistakes and number 2.

On Saturday I would play :-

anyone from Porter/Ironside/ Taylor upfront.. doesn't matter at this point. I will go for Taylor because of pace.

>>>>>Taylor
Murphy Baxter Brandy
>>>Coady Cuvellier

This is probably the most fluid team we are able to put out with more chance of interchanging.

McMahon and the left back have to be brave and leave it to the responbility of coady and cuvellier to cover them

* for the record, Cuvellier says his best position is box to box midfielder. We are currently playing him anywhere

If you're going to play 2 up top then Baxter should be one of them. Not much really has to change to make out 4-3-3 into a 4-4-2 if you think about it

I'd say Baxter is more a link between midfield and attack rather than a striker. I'd play him and the others as a "diamond" midfield. I would also play Porter and Taylor up top.

Back
Top Bottom