Would this team be in a relegation scrap next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It wasn't the first time you'd had a flounce about how terrible everything is and that the world is about to end for us, which is why you were called out. Unfortunately it wasn't the last time either, so you can't really then have a grumble about it.
Let's not ignore the huge contributing factor as to why this still has got legs. You were also massively wrong.

What gets really tedious on this forum sometimes is the 'playing the poster not the post.' Yep I thought the Villa game last year could have been curtains and that we were not strong enough this season. Happily wrong!

There's also been times when I've been absolutely spot on and overflowingly positive, c'est la vie.

What gets really tedious on this forum sometimes is the 'playing the poster not the post.' Yep I thought the Villa game last year could have been curtains and that we were not strong enough this season. Happily wrong!

There's also been times when I've been absolutely spot on and overflowingly positive, c'est la vie.

But we generally get the reputations our behaviors deserve. Sure once they're set, confirmation bias kicks in, and that's difficult to change especially when people don't really know you. But I don't think I'm being unfair to say, you are generally easy to panic and think the sky is about to fall when stuff goes against us, so therefore I don't take those posts from you very seriously.

But we generally get the reputations our behaviors deserve. Sure once they're set, confirmation bias kicks in, and that's difficult to change especially when people don't really know you. But I don't think I'm being unfair to say, you are generally easy to panic and think the sky is about to fall when stuff goes against us, so therefore I don't take those posts from you very seriously.

Yep very aware 'you make your bed you lie in it' etc though I find it puzzling that that thread and Villa are the two most negative things I've said that have been wrong though it's what defines how people view present day posts but won't lose any sleep over it!

Can't actually recall any other negative posts I've made over the past 24 months, except that Woodburn would be a flop (correct), Freeman wouldn't get a chance (correct) and Berge was going to struggle (correct so far unfortunately)

It's not about me though, the forum in general could do with less personalities and more discussions. Less 'calling people out' and more 'engaging with what people say'.

For what it's worth, a lot will depend on recruitment as we always have been fortunate to avoid injuries and suspensions (bar Coutts and look how we did without him for a while). First 11 is fine, when a few lose form etc then it's tricky

I'm concerned. I'm sure we all are.

This loss of momentum and injuries is a replication to an extent to the listless end to the 2017/18 season after 'he that never gives the ball away' was crocked.

Apart from COVID-19 derailing what I felt was a relentless quest for European football the break has also impacted the TV money that would have formes the basis for our transfer pot.

All this adds up to limited additions in the summer notwithstanding sacrificing a family jewel, and hoping to replace with a better and cheaper alternative.

There seem to be a lot of challenges ahead even to tread water.

We will need at least one new keeper. The obvious concern is that this will be a keeper worse than Henderson. Alternatives we are linked with are in the offing at 10m+ which would be a fair chunk of the budget. Keeper is such a key position, and probably why Clough was happy to spend big to get Shilton. Now hopefully OGS keeps his stance on DeGea, doesn't want to sell Hendo, and Hendo won't be fine with a run in the league cup. We may well be ok here, but it may be another last minute waiting game which could see us missing out on alternatives and putting all our eggs in one basket.

Defensively, from the retained list it looks like the back up players will be depleated. Freeman, Retsos already, Rodwell, Jagielka will all be off. So Chris will have the unenviable task of enticing reenforcements who have a limited chance of playing. Maybe Norrington-Davies gets a chance though a loan one level up once more may also be fitting.

In midfield, you can see there being an awkward standoff through the summer with Lundstram as he seeks too much money. I can see us being in for Hendrick possibly as a replacement for Lunny if he digs in. Some challenging conversations with Osborn and Freeman await and I think as decent squad members the next few matches, and how much they are called upon while others are stuttering, may determine the outcome. It seems Berge, Fleck and Norwood are due to be fixtures so I don't see much movement here, or money spent, so it will be shifting deckchairs.

Upfront and arguably with the midfield itself, we need to somehow regain the ability to make and take chances. 3 shots on target tell a story since the restart. I'd argue Billy should have been on target against Newcastle, McBurnie should have got his header in against Man U. But in all, when you add in McGoldrick who has been a marvel but isn't scoring and Mousset whose fitness remains an ongoing issue, we still lack that talismanic scorer. A lot of our fate may be determined by this one signing. Someone like an Inga would perhaps manage to up the level in a challenging market, but I doubt he's one we could get.

Hopefully a lot of clubs feel the pinch but rather than kicking on into buying higher level signings I can see Chris having to scrimp and save again.
Yes.

The biggest challenge we have now before the next season starts is creating strength in depth. The restart has proven we really don't have that. We have bodies but without much quality. Without strength in depth, we've seen these 3 games that we just can't keep the same level of performance with what we have in reserve.

It's not about me though, the forum in general could do with less personalities and more discussions. Less 'calling people out' and more 'engaging with what people say'.
Not sure I agree with the personalities bit. I don't see any issues with that, I have more of a problem with people being overly critical without supporting that criticism with real details. That's very difficult to engage with because with any content you've nothing to argue against apart from the ignorance of the post (playing the man to use your phrasing), and all they are doing is bitching, moaning and slagging off one of our own.

Not sure I agree with the personalities bit. I don't see any issues with that, I have more of a problem with people being overly critical without supporting that criticism with real details. That's very difficult to engage with because with any content you've nothing to argue against apart from the ignorance of the post (playing the man to use your phrasing), and all they are doing is bitching, moaning and slagging off one of our own.

Yep that's what I meant, take this as a classic example:

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.p...ntre-half-problem-convert-hanson.56215/page-3

There's no nuance in debate any more, we're back to the 'slasher' or 'clapper' forum politics. For me:

'I fear that we will struggle next season, but are also delighted with how the club has done this season and where we are presently and look forward to the future.'

I'm concerned. I'm sure we all are.

This loss of momentum and injuries is a replication to an extent to the listless end to the 2017/18 season after 'he that never gives the ball away' was crocked.

Apart from COVID-19 derailing what I felt was a relentless quest for European football the break has also impacted the TV money that would have formes the basis for our transfer pot.

All this adds up to limited additions in the summer notwithstanding sacrificing a family jewel, and hoping to replace with a better and cheaper alternative.

There seem to be a lot of challenges ahead even to tread water.

We will need at least one new keeper. The obvious concern is that this will be a keeper worse than Henderson. Alternatives we are linked with are in the offing at 10m+ which would be a fair chunk of the budget. Keeper is such a key position, and probably why Clough was happy to spend big to get Shilton. Now hopefully OGS keeps his stance on DeGea, doesn't want to sell Hendo, and Hendo won't be fine with a run in the league cup. We may well be ok here, but it may be another last minute waiting game which could see us missing out on alternatives and putting all our eggs in one basket.

Defensively, from the retained list it looks like the back up players will be depleated. Freeman, Retsos already, Rodwell, Jagielka will all be off. So Chris will have the unenviable task of enticing reenforcements who have a limited chance of playing. Maybe Norrington-Davies gets a chance though a loan one level up once more may also be fitting.

In midfield, you can see there being an awkward standoff through the summer with Lundstram as he seeks too much money. I can see us being in for Hendrick possibly as a replacement for Lunny if he digs in. Some challenging conversations with Osborn and Freeman await and I think as decent squad members the next few matches, and how much they are called upon while others are stuttering, may determine the outcome. It seems Berge, Fleck and Norwood are due to be fixtures so I don't see much movement here, or money spent, so it will be shifting deckchairs.

Upfront and arguably with the midfield itself, we need to somehow regain the ability to make and take chances. 3 shots on target tell a story since the restart. I'd argue Billy should have been on target against Newcastle, McBurnie should have got his header in against Man U. But in all, when you add in McGoldrick who has been a marvel but isn't scoring and Mousset whose fitness remains an ongoing issue, we still lack that talismanic scorer. A lot of our fate may be determined by this one signing. Someone like an Inga would perhaps manage to up the level in a challenging market, but I doubt he's one we could get.

Hopefully a lot of clubs feel the pinch but rather than kicking on into buying higher level signings I can see Chris having to scrimp and save again.
:tumbleweed:

A lot depends on whether we get fans back in the ground.

If we don’t we have to find a way up playing with our old intensity behind closed doors if we don’t then we could have trouble.

I agree with you.

After the admittedly small sample of three games it would appear that we have suffered more than most from playing in front of empty stadia.

Our high intensity game seems to feed off the crowd whether that be a supportive or hostile one.

Also I think an added factor has been the heat - against Manchester United at any rate. I just don't think it is possible to play for 90 minutes with the high energy that our game demands in that sort of temperature.

Depends if fans are in the ground really. And if we have a good Pre Season so we're fit and ready by game #1.

We have neither for this mini post-lockdown season.

I agree with you.

After the admittedly small sample of three games it would appear that we have suffered more than most from playing in front of empty stadia.

Our high intensity game seems to feed off the crowd whether that be a supportive or hostile one.

Also I think an added factor has been the heat - against Manchester United at any rate. I just don't think it is possible to play for 90 minutes with the high energy that our game demands in that sort of temperature.

Our intensity is also dependent on the weather. It’s impossible to regularly play with intensity during the mid Summer temperatures.
We’ll be much more effective (even without fans) come September/ October time.

I don’t really disagree with any of the points but there are still a lot of unknowns. Particularly in respect of how other clubs will cope. There may be a lot of forced sales at prices we can afford.
And we don’t know which of the PL clubs will get off to a bad start, like Man U and others did this season. We certainly took advantage of Arsenal under Emery and Fat Frank’s naivety.
It won’t be easy and I’m not expecting another season where we’re talking about champions league but hopefully we’ll deal with the worst of it.

I agree with you.

Well with this style of play then, either the players use this summer as an opportunity to get used to playing in heat - or hope that if we do qualify for Europe during Wilder's tenure we only draw teams from the cooler European counties and not the hotter ones. Extremely unlikely though as we would undoubtedly be in a group with a mixture of random teams.

What we are realistically better off hoping for is that we continue to sign overseas players that are generally more acclimatised to playing in warmer climates. We've signed a few already this season albeit some of them being loans.

Our intensity is also dependent on the weather. It’s impossible to regularly play with intensity during the mid Summer temperatures.
We’ll be much more effective (even without fans) come September/ October time.

My last paragraph was making a similar point.

may I ask, did you also ask this question before lockdown?
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you said 'no, dont be a soft lad' as who would have suggested relegation back in March when we were looking at Europe.
So why are we talking about it now after 3 results - 1 been a draw we should have won, 1 away to the nemesis that is cabbage heed, and another one away at a rejuvenated Man U.
3 tricky away games in 8 days, no fans following 3 months in lockdown, 1 red card and missing key players in every game
I would agree the performances have been more worrying than the result arguably, but you talking about relegation is as bonkers as them knob heads across the city talking about the prem following a draw 1st game back - 'kin idiots.

Nail hit squarely on the head - Thread Over!

The biggest challenge we have now before the next season starts is creating strength in depth. The restart has proven we really don't have that. We have bodies but without much quality. Without strength in depth, we've seen these 3 games that we just can't keep the same level of performance with what we have in reserve.

There's certainly a more nuanced debate to be had around youth players (or lack of) filling the squad and filling in and pushing first xi players - but it's neither the time and I fear the place for that...

Precisely.

Next season Burnley at home will not be another exciting Premier League game after promotion......
It will be just Burnley at home.
If it's anything like the game this season I;ll be wetting my pants with excitement again. I can see though that my perspective is in sharp contrast to yours.Life is about what I make of the journey,the destination is ever changeable and satisfies the unknown element of what life can bring. Of course I speak only for myself.I wouldn't dare assume we all think the same ;)

Our defence has been incredible. This performance is likely impossible to repeat if (as is likely) we do not have Henderson.

we have a lot of trouble scoring goals. None of the forwards are consistent. I do not understand resigning both Sharp and Didzy. We have to have better up top.

we have had a great injury free run pre lockdown. 4 out of 5 of the defence were ever present, 2 missed only 1 game, and Norwood was ever present.

regression was almost inevitable as, save for VAR, almost all broke right for us.

We lose Hendo and one of the back 5, and we are in trouble IMHO, although if anyone can keep us ticking over it’s Wilder.

There's a big chance Hendo doesn't return - which would be a major blow.

Our injury record can't possibly be better.

Our defensive record can hardly improve.

Repeating peak performance levels will be a real challenge - at our best I feel a number of our players were at their absolute zenith.

Teams will be more familiar with us - and the back 5 and 2 of the midfielders will remain the same.

We are painfully impotent in attack. And I'm losing hope for Mousset. We've become the most defensive team in the league. Why would any decent attacking player sign for us? We could have difficulty recruiting the required quality.

Covid and that cunt McCabe will hinder our transfer budget.

The pathetic possibility of no fans would hurt us a lot (anyone who said fans don't make a difference, where are you now btw?).

Surviving next season will be a good achievement, as it is this season.

It's a challenge for Wilder but he's more than capable. But there's very little room for error with recruitment.

There's a big chance Hendo doesn't return - which would be a major blow.

Our injury record can't possibly be better.

Our defensive record can hardly improve.

Repeating peak performance levels will be a real challenge - at our best I feel a number of our players were at their absolute zenith.

Teams will be more familiar with us - and the back 5 and 2 of the midfielders will remain the same.

We are painfully impotent in attack. And I'm losing hope for Mousset. We've become the most defensive team in the league. Why would any decent attacking player sign for us? We could have difficulty recruiting the required quality.

Covid and that cunt McCabe will hinder our transfer budget.

The pathetic possibility of no fans would hurt us a lot (anyone who said fans don't make a difference, where are you now btw?).

Surviving next season will be a good achievement, as it is this season.

It's a challenge for Wilder but he's more than capable. But there's very little room for error with recruitment.

Other than the ommision of 'absolute gash', 'abomination', 'fucking' and 'pregnant sow's arse with a snow shovel', that's about how I see it.

As Revolution says above, the BS & Didzy deals show what cards are in our hand next season.

Other than the ommision of 'absolute gash', 'abomination', 'fucking' and 'pregnant sow's arse with a snow shovel', that's about how I see it.

As Revolution says above, the BS & Didzy deals show what cards are in our hand next season.

I'm all for retaining Sharp and McGoldrick but the second year in those 2 year deals feels like a 'reward'. A Leon Clarke style reward.

Though I do think McGoldrick can remain useful for quite some time.

And I'd want Billy around whether he's effective on the pitch or not.

I'm more concerned that Wilder's got McBurnie in mind as our leading striker. Unless he comes back for pre season resembling something like an athlete, he shouldn't even be looked at as a starter.

I'm all for retaining Sharp and McGoldrick but the second year in those 2 year deals feels like a 'reward'. A Leon Clarke style reward.

Though I do think McGoldrick can remain useful for quite some time.

And I'd want Billy around whether he's effective on the pitch or not.

I'm more concerned that Wilder's got McBurnie in mind as our leading striker. Unless he comes back for pre season resembling something like an athlete, he shouldn't even be looked at as a starter.

I easily drop into stats, and i know where scoring less than 40 goals in a PL season usually ends up. I doubt we'll score 35 this season. Which should have alarm bells ringing.

Our defensive performance this year has turned usual stats on their head. We've got the goal scoring record of a relegated team and the defensive record of a league winnning side. It won't happen two years running, with or without DH, and the last 3 games have shown that.

Playing Didzy is just doubling up the goal scoring problem. I like McG, but he hasn't scored a league goal since April 2019. When he plays we look 'better' but don't score any more. If needs be it's Dids in the hole and a goal scorer, and that means not sharp, not CR, not mousset and not mcb. If you look at his stats, you could argue that this season is the reality and last season was an exception.

I easily drop into stats, and i know where scoring less than 40 goals in a PL season usually ends up. I doubt we'll score 35 this season. Which should have alarm bells ringing.

Our defensive performance this year has turned usual stats on their head. We've got the goal scoring record of a relegated team and the defensive record of a league winnning side. It won't happen two years running, with or without DH, and the last 3 games have shown that.

Playing Didzy is just doubling up the goal scoring problem. I like McG, but he hasn't scored a league goal since April 2019. When he plays we look 'better' but don't score any more. If needs be it's Dids in the hole and a goal scorer, and that means not sharp, not CR, not mousset and not mcb. If you look at his stats, you could argue that this season is the reality and last season was an exception.

As I have said elsewhere Didzys goalscoring is historically bad in terms of Xg and traditional stats - no United forward in living memory has played so many games in one season without scoring at least one league goal. I suspect it hasn’t been “beaten” in our entire history actually though I haven’t checked.

it is much harder to carry a non scoring striker if you concede a lot more goals, as I fear we will next season.

Nicolaus_Copernicus

That's the thing with Mcgoldrick, he's reliant on the guy ahead of him getting goals to justify his selection, this season they haven't.

So either he isn't good enough.
The guy ahead of him isn't good enough.
Or both.

Nicolaus_Copernicus

That's the thing with Mcgoldrick, he's reliant on the guy ahead of him getting goals to justify his selection, this season they haven't.

So either he isn't good enough.
The guy ahead of him isn't good enough.
Or both.

As much as I like him, I think his time is up. He’s not good enough. 23 appearances with 0 goals this season. 15 clear cut chances squandered this season according to the PL. At Brighton away I watched him walk the ball around the GK and still somehow not manage to put the ball in the fucking OPEN net. Linking up the play isn’t useful if we’re not gonna convert chances. At 32 years old he’s not getting any younger. He doesn’t really cut it as a forward, he needs to be replaced. A proven goalscorer buries at least 10 of the 15 he’s wasted, and that’s the difference.

As much as I like him, I think his time is up. He’s not good enough. 23 appearances with 0 goals this season. 15 clear cut chances squandered this season according to the PL. At Brighton away I watched him walk the ball around the GK and still somehow not manage to put the ball in the fucking OPEN net. Linking up the play isn’t useful if we’re not gonna convert chances. At 32 years old he’s not getting any younger. He doesn’t really cut it as a forward, he needs to be replaced. A proven goalscorer buries at least 10 of the 15 he’s wasted, and that’s the difference.

Any tips on getting one of these?

We need a huge summer we cannot afford to go stale for next season, love mgoldrick but that position needs improving massively is type but with goals, with better in depth quality.

Back
Top Bottom