This Chinese Investment

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

stringjunior

A Stringer original
Reaction score
Was sharing a beer last night with String and it appears there might (just might) be something in this Chinese investment shenanigans. I'm not going to stick my neck out and claim to be ITK in any massive way (because I'm not. Really) but here's the information as String relayed it.

String does a load of business in the middle east somewhere and his business partner there (or the husband of his business partner - or something) is Chinese/Malaysian - called Dave....

Dave, being Chinese and therefore knowing everything that is going on in China, says he has heard that the Chinese state investment company is interested in buying United.

So there you are. That was 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back. But as StringSenior says - "you never know when you're going to be surprised"

Was sharing a beer last night with String and it appears there might (just might) be something in this Chinese investment shenanigans. I'm not going to stick my neck out and claim to be ITK in any massive way (because I'm not. Really) but here's the information as String relayed it.

String does a load of business in the middle east somewhere and his business partner there (or the husband of his business partner - or something) is Chinese/Malaysian - called Dave....

Dave, being Chinese and therefore knowing everything that is going on in China, says he has heard that the Chinese state investment company is interested in buying United.

So there you are. That was 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back. But as StringSenior says - "you never know when you're going to be surprised"

So sell them the the club and change the kit to all red next season? :)

Did we ever find out what the huge announcement in January was supposed to be? Didn't that start doing the rounds at about the same time as the Chinese investment rumours?

My mate's dad is chairman of Morecambe and has been trying to sell for ages. He's flown out to China to meet some much vaunted investors who simply don't exist or don't have the money.

It's a bloody minefield the football business.

Makes you wonder how much truth are in these rumours when there are plenty of clubs in the Championship that would be more tempting to a foreign investor

I'd say United would be a much better option than nearly all in the Championship. No debts, huge fan base, excellent academy, planning permission in place for ground expansion, at least one of the owners (probably both) wants to sell, and one of the owners has very good contacts and business deals in China.

Makes you wonder how much truth are in these rumours when there are plenty of clubs in the Championship that would be more tempting to a foreign investor

Perhaps potential plays a part?

Looking at the Championship, without checking the facts, I'm guessing we probably the top 10 for attendance averages. Add to that most of those clubs that have a higher attendance average have already been bought. Derby, Hull, Leeds and the pigs being 4 clubs at a glance. Boro and Gibson probably wouldn't sell. Don't know the situation with regards to Brighton. Cardiff have been taken over. Ipswich? Wolves? Burnley?

Reactions: Dkc

And be rebranded Sheffield2016 playing at the Hang Zhe Hei stadium.

At least they'll be at home with a rendition of "Keep the red flag flying high..."

If it came from Chinese Dave it's got to be right.

The notion of a Chinese bloke called Dave isn't in itself entirely implausible.

Chinese business people all give themselves a Western name to make it easier for us guizi to identify them. I deal with a Dan, a Jodie, a Jason and a (female) Robin.

I'm a bit suspicious of King, I think he has ideas above his station and I reckon that Krap Deng should consider re-branding, he's doing himself no favours with that on his business card....

stringjunior I am in the process of finding out the actual name of said Investment Group from Chinese Dave (his genuine nickname is 'The Shamatron' by the way... yes really!....That could elevate this rumour from 'mildly in the know' to perhaps 'solidly in the know'.... Let's see gang...

Sheffield-based Chinese businessman called Jerry Cheung and a company called New Era Development are behind the Chinatown development, including a 21-storey tower, going up below Aldi on St Mary's Gate at the moment. Even if this development is nothing to do with the rumoured investment at the Lane, it can't do any harm having the closest we have to a Chinatown right on our doorstep

stringjunior I am in the process of finding out the actual name of said Investment Group from Chinese Dave (his genuine nickname is 'The Shamatron' by the way... yes really!....That could elevate this rumour from 'mildly in the know' to perhaps 'solidly in the know'.... Let's see gang...

Cheers Dave

Good work. And long may it continue

The notion of a Chinese bloke called Dave isn't in itself entirely implausible.

Chinese business people all give themselves a Western name to make it easier for us guizi to identify them. I deal with a Dan, a Jodie, a Jason and a (female) Robin.

I'm a bit suspicious of King, I think he has ideas above his station

I know a Queenie if you want to do a bit of royal matchmaking - oh and an Elvis in case your King is of such persuasion and would like to meet The King of Rock and Roll

Last edited:
Sheffield-based Chinese businessman called Jerry Cheung and a company called New Era Development are behind the Chinatown development, including a 21-storey tower, going up below Aldi on St Mary's Gate at the moment. Even if this development is nothing to do with the rumoured investment at the Lane, it can't do any harm having the closest we have to a Chinatown right on our doorstep
Does that mean that Aldi will now be on the 22nd floor?
It'll be a bastard tekkin thi trolley back up theyer

Good work. And long may it continue
Good evening stringjunior after what I think might be one of the most interesting social weekends in a while bro..(!) I've hurried back with the promised Intel... Only this time I have to protect some confidences, because Chinese Dave is a real person...(who said he wasn't I here you cry!) Anyway Scarborough are in talks with a Chinese 'state sponsored' Industrial Conglomerate (Ive had sight of the name), they are a Beijing based, Fortune 500 company with huge turnover as one might imagine... What progress at this stage with Scarborough remains to be seen (I'm on it..) ...⚔

Good evening stringjunior after what I think might be one of the most interesting social weekends in a while bro..(!) I've hurried back with the promised Intel... Only this time I have to protect some confidences, because Chinese Dave is a real person...(who said he wasn't I here you cry!) Anyway Scarborough are in talks with a Chinese 'state sponsored' Industrial Conglomerate (Ive had sight of the name), they are a Beijing based, Fortune 500 company with huge turnover as one might imagine... What progress at this stage with Scarborough remains to be seen (I'm on it..) ...⚔

Cheers for the info. However, am I right in thinking that Scarborough being in talks with the Chinese doesn't necessarily mean investment in the football club. Could that not just mean another property/leisure venture?

Cheers for the info. However, am I right in thinking that Scarborough being in talks with the Chinese doesn't necessarily mean investment in the football club. Could that not just mean another property/leisure venture?
No, this is football specific B58, as far as I understand.

Bloody hell chief, what with our combined fingers on the sport investments and sport media pulses, we're probably the most in the know United fans in the Greater London and Greater Manchester conurbations :confused:
And long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom