THE SEASON WILL END TOMORROW MORNING!!😭

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Johnnyblade

Bournemouth Blade
Reaction score
THE SEASON WILL END IN THE MORNING

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has got Coronavirus ,so do 3 Leicester players,Arsenals team has gone into self isolation,Brighton v Arsenal has been called off.
Unfortunately the premier League has no other option.
Over the next few months things will get worse not better,there will be no way to finish a 38 game season.
The season will finish with 29 games played.
Which brings an interesting scenario Villa v Blades still to play,Villa win they jump above Bournemouth and Watford and stay up,draw they get relegated and if Blades win we jump Wolves and Man Utd into 5th and Champions league possible spot.
I hope the season doesn’t finish after a top level meeting in the morning,I’d rather see games played behind closed doors on tv so we could still see the games.
But after a manager,3 players have caught it and then the Arsenal team has to isolate I really don’t see any other option.
The NBA has cancelled the season and other major sports all over the world also

What do you all think?

it’s a radical suggestion but..

Pause it all for twelve moths, add a year to every players contract, and start again from the current league positions on 14th March 2021 push all tournaments back by exactly 12 months.

A slush fund paid in by the broadcasters and the government to keep some EFL clubs going.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has got Coronavirus ,so do 3 Leicester players,Arsenals team has gone into self isolation,Brighton v Arsenal has been called off.
Over the next few months things will get worse not better,there will be no way to finish a 38 game season.
Which brings an interesting scenario Villa v Blades still to play,Villa win they jump above Bournemouth and Watford and stay up,draw they get relegated and if Blades win we jump Wolves and Man Utd into 5th and Champions league possible spot.
I hope the season doesn’t finish after a top level meeting in the morning,I’d rather see games played behind closed doors on tv so we could still see the games.
But after a manager,3 players have caught it and then the Arsenal team has to isolate I really don’t see any other option.

What do you all think?

The NBA has suspended their season

Pause it all for twelve moths, add a year to every players contract, and start again from the current league positions on 14th March 2021 push all tournaments back by exactly 12 months.

A slush fund paid in by the broadcasters and the government to keep some EFL clubs going.

No chance the government will pay to keep football clubs running.

It's an untested situation, but managers and players have missed games before due to illness.

A pragmatic approach might be to introduce a temporary suspension and ask every team to self isolate for 7 days, then re assess based on screening tests before teams are allowed to train again. If clubs have enough players fit and healthy for games to go ahead, then at worst they should be allowed to do so behind closed doors. As complicated and frustrating as it may seem, this process could be repeated, as long as all were prepared to see the season extended well into the summer. Then of course we get clashes with the Euros, so further arrangements would need to be made there.

A season cancellation would be crackers and I just can't see LFC, WBA, LUFC etc letting it go and can imagine all sorts of legal ramifications.

Alternatively, they call the season over now and award based on current position. But equally, there is no way the teams in relegation and play off spots would accept that.

If I was a betting man, I think it will be temporary delays and behind closed doors games. The govt would then need to consider how they police alternative gatherings in pubs etc. There was talk earlier of banning pubs showing games and making streams free and legal on club websites.

Last edited:
Next 2 weeks will be suspended ...as a minimum...let’s hope that’s it ...but not over hopeful of when we will next play..

It will come down to ....Do we extend the leagues into the Summer ....and postpone the Euros till next summer ...or finish the season early and keep the Euros ......that’s the decision ......

Fk knows who going to decide that ...and all the legal ramifications...I.e promotion and relegation monies etc ..

What a right royal shit storm ahead...

If it does and we beat Villa we finish 5th. I’ll cope with that.

But common sense says postpone things for a few weeks and see where things are. If they just outright cancel/void it now, the legal ramifications are huge. Why would they not just hit the snooze button, so to speak? If things are as bad in a month, EPL/EFL/FA can always make more extreme decisions then, with more medical evidence to back them up in any legal battles.

Moving the Euros to next summer and ending this season end of June seems feasible. Its spread over loads of countries rather than one host, so surely easier to rearrange than normal? They've moved the World Cup to winter for brown envelopes, so surely wont mind moving the Euros for fans welfare?

Next 2 weeks will be suspended ...as a minimum...let’s hope that’s it ...but not over hopeful of when we will next play..

It will come down to ....Do we extend the leagues into the Summer ....and postpone the Euros till next summer ...or finish the season early and keep the Euros ......that’s the decision ......

Fk knows who going to decide that ...and all the legal ramifications...I.e promotion and relegation monies etc ..

What a right royal shit storm ahead...

UEFA will decide that and the Euros will get canned.

Surely pausing domestic football for a while and cancelling a tournament where loads of people from around Europe will be travelling to make way for it is the sensible option.

I don’t think anyone knows.

But things like football will resume as and when infection rates are controlled and the authorities think we can afford the resources and the additional transmissions resulting from everyone resuming normal activities. Such things will be phased I presume.

UEFA will decide that and the Euros will get canned.

Surely pausing domestic football for a while and cancelling a tournament where loads of people from around Europe will be travelling to make way for it is the sensible option.

Probably ....

...I think we can just about write the Euros off ....but there’s no guarantee that all leagues around Europe will be extended ....closed door games or not .....some leagues and some countries will go for it ..and others won’t ..

As I said ..a proper shit storm ...and we’ve no idea how it’s gonna pan out ....we are pretty good as not a lot would affect us ..as we ain’t finishing 4th ..and unlikely for 5th.....but clubs in relegation and promotion spots ....now that’s a different ball game .....and more to the point when does the Wendy’s point deduction then kick in ....💦

Last edited:
Whens that then?

i think the OP is right.. The season is over.

Noone knows and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter right now. The start and end dates of a football season are an arbitrary thing anyway. Pick up where we left off when the situation is calmer.

What do you all think?

I think it will be like foreplay without the conclusion - a deeply dissatisfying way to end what would have probably been our best season ever in my lifetime.

But personally I do think it will get canned :(

No doubt some Liverpool employees will contract it after Athletico Madrid’s visit the other night.

i think the euros will definitely be postponed until next year with it being held in different countries. therefore i can't see it being a major issue pushing some EFL fixtures into the summer.

No Sky income add minimum of £40m in player wages to costs at our level. No sponsorship or gate money.

Okay.....

Three very fit, professional footballers at Leicester city have reported mild flu like symptoms, and been advised to self isolate! They have not been tested and cannot be reported as having contracted this virus.
Please do not propagate sensationalist media.
Arteta has tested positive, and the club and the league are co-operating with a one fixture postponement.
According to government and health experts, that is sufficient for now. Get a grip ffs.

The EFL should administer any o/s punishments, then end the season early

I'm still of the opinion that this is bedwetting of the highest level.

Did we suspend the season when SARS was at its peak? Ebola?

I can understand the requirement to contain this and to slow down any further spread. But to do that you need to do more than just play football matches behind closed doors. The rail network needs to close. The country needs to be locked down.

Im quite surprised, actually, that the government has allowed us all to go to the game this weekend, considering this country has some of the biggest snowflake pussies around.

Back
Top Bottom