The Bounce Back Theory

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
There seems to be some kind of consensus around being relegated this season and then bouncing back up.

Firstly, if we go down with a record low, I can't see it happening. Confident is going to be so shot and it's likely we'd have the same manager and be playing the same way which hasn't worked for over a season. There will be strong competition to get back up. I suspected that will include at least one of the teams that got relegated last season (Watford and or Bournemouth), two other clubs that came down with us (Fulham and WBA). Then you'll probably have Swansea, Brentford, a rejuvenated Forest and Derby etc.

We'd still have the likes of Sharp, McGoldrick, Fleck, Norwood, Robinson, Orborn?, Lowe, Basham, Foderingham and probably Stevens who will not feature on the Premier League team. Under FFP , we'll be quite limited in who we can bring in as it's unlikely we'll be able to sell anyone as they'll be on relatively big wages and obviously not in demand.

However, will bouncing back up solve out problems?

Our development from Academy to development squad to first team would not be in place so quickly. That will likely take a few years to establish and we'd need to remain in the Championship for that time. Also improvements to scouting and training facilities will not be in place straight away. We would need to get rid of the dead would and replace them with new players. These players would have to be integrated into the squad and be able to hit the floor in the Premier League.

Going straight back up will likely result in us coming straight back down again. It's going to take a few seasons of build and then there are no guarantees of going up. Or that HRH would stick around or stick with a manager. Or invest money still.

We have a squad of top championship players hence why we are struggling now. In the championship they will be up there for sure. I'm not saying we are going to win the league with 100 points but with this squad anything less than top 6 considering the rubbish in that league would be unacceptable.

And to to quote gordoncharles
Quote_Insert "At the end of last season Norwich City lost 10 consecutive matches and scored precisely 1 (one) goal

Their results were: 0-1, 0-3, 0-1, 0-4, 0-1, 1-2, 0-4, 0-1, 0-2, 0-5
So in conclusion - negative momentum means fuck all."

We have a squad of top championship players hence why we are struggling now. In the championship they will be up there for sure. I'm not saying we are going to win the league with 100 points but with this squad anything less than top 6 considering the rubbish in that league would be unacceptable.

And to to quote gordoncharles
Quote_Insert "At the end of last season Norwich City lost 10 consecutive matches and scored precisely 1 (one) goal

Their results were: 0-1, 0-3, 0-1, 0-4, 0-1, 1-2, 0-4, 0-1, 0-2, 0-5
So in conclusion - negative momentum means fuck all."
your right we have a very good championship squad that isnt good enough for the premier league its as simple as that but all these doom and gloom merchants saying we havent a chance of getting back are forgetting one significant point theres a huge gap between the premier and championship your not up against international players every week for a start and i think this set of players will relish the chance to prove everybody wrong about them and bounce straight back in any case see no reason why we shouldnt be top 6 at least next season

If you remember, when we were in the Championship our wage structure placed us in the bottom half of payers. Despite the pay increases to the squad on promotion & new contracts etc I would be surprised if we would be in too much FFP trouble. The two teams who accompany us down (WBA & Fulham??) will still be paying way above us in wages.
The squad needs refreshing but I expect we will be having another go at trying to recruit the likes of John Swift etc.
UTB

• Banned

Not really meant to be a post on whether we would or wouldn't bounce back up.

More a post on even if we do, it won't automatically solve the problems we have now. If anything, we're likely to be in a similar or worse position and not able to compete and get relegated again.

Back
Top Bottom