That flat fucking 3

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Akinbiyi

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it’s not very flat at all is it?

I was certainly amongst it’s biggest critics in pre season. It’s different to the one we saw at the beginning of last season.

Fleck and Lundstram are playing new roles as box to box midfielders either side of Ollie who’s safe guarding the defence and always offering for the ball which is making it knit together nicely. And to be honest it’s not really flat, Ollie sits deeper than the other two who have more of an advanced role

I had thoughts about ‘maybe’ bringing in the man in behind the strikers for ‘teams like Burnley’ as I thought it would give us more creativity. Truth be known, now we’re comfortable in this shape and the players believe in theirselves in this division - we don’t even need that man there. Not against Burnley, Norwich, Villa. We’ll do just fine with that flat 3. We’ve started creating chances, taking more risks, and making it work.

Time to say hello and welcome flat 3, I was wrong about you. Today was the day you really won me over once and for all.

I 💓 the flat 3.

Very true. It was noticeable today that Fleck was able to drive forward with the ball more and Lunny made some lung busting runs to get in amongst things without the ball. The top teams can dissect us and have some Olympic sprinters in their midst. We have to sit more against them but it was very pleasing to see how we recognise teams that don’t and change accordingly.

I’ve only just logged in and am settling down to have a good read of the forum now as we bask in sixth place above the likes of Man U and Spurs wondering if we can keep this up. Loving it.

• Banned
Very true. It was noticeable today that Fleck was able to drive forward with the ball more and Lunny made some lung busting runs to get in amongst things without the ball. The top teams can dissect us and have some Olympic sprinters in their midst. We have to sit more against them but it was very pleasing to see how we recognise teams that don’t and change accordingly.

I’ve only just logged in and am settling down to have a good read of the forum now as we bask in sixth place above the likes of Man U and Spurs wondering if we can keep this up. Loving it.
Put it this way, after that with 2 of the ‘spare’ midfielders winning us the game - I think Burnley won’t be playing 4-4-2 against us at their place if Dyche knows what’s good for him.

They've become like the back 3.

They know their roles inside out, know what to do out of habit, and the main strength is in the unit.

The understanding in the defence and midfield is what will see us piss survival. Oh, and that French striker.

Hopefully today’s result and performance quietens the “why won’t Wilder release the shackles?” chatter for a week at least.

At the start of the season it was unknown territory for the team, as we play more games the players are up to speed and gaining confidence, as a team we are getting better.

You finally got what you fucking wanted. How happy are you?

It's a bit surreal having a player like him. He's even paid for my season ticket, bless him. At this point I'm just hoping we see him for more than the usual 10 games.

I think in the first games anyone could see the defensive benefits it brought us. The question was whether we were sacrificing too much coming forward. The last three games, today and the first half hour vs Arsenal in particular, have shown that we can hurt teams when on the attack. The big thing though is that Mousset and McGoldrick have given the midfield a much better outlet for the ball while also linking up with them far better than Robinson and McBurnie have. If the ball doesn't stick up front then Fleck and Lundstram can't push forward to collect it. The bar's been set now and that's the standard the other strikers need to reach.

I think in the first games anyone could see the defensive benefits it brought us. The question was whether we were sacrificing too much coming forward. The last three games, today and the first half hour vs Arsenal in particular, have shown that we can hurt teams when on the attack. The big thing though is that Mousset and McGoldrick have given the midfield a much better outlet for the ball while also linking up with them far better than Robinson and McBurnie have. If the ball doesn't stick up front then Fleck and Lundstram can't push forward to collect it. The bar's been set now and that's the standard the other strikers need to reach.

McGoldrick and Mousset have put a solid claim forward as our best front two. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do over a run of games.

McGoldrick and Mousset have put a solid claim forward as our best front two. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do over a run of games.

I'm full of patience for players still trying to find their feet at this level but it's not even close at the moment. The two that started up top today are streets ahead.

I'm full of patience for players still trying to find their feet at this level but it's not even close at the moment. The two that started up top today are streets ahead.

Agreed, there's no argument at this point.

Back
Top Bottom