Targeting European Players inside GB

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If CW wanted him then yes, I can't see it though.

I was of course, only joking.

I'd like us to try and sign the better young players from the championship and there are plenty to chose from. They more than often appreciate (look at Brooks and Maddison) and give us that bit of dynamism.

We need a keeper, couple of strikers, LWB, DC, MC and AMC.

Our 20m budget might struggle though.

It's weird how I keep reading that the German clubs are clambering for young Englishmen and then the English clubs are clambering for Europeans. Who is right?

I'm with Chali 2na in that we don't seem to be doing too bad with our current policy, I'd back Wilder to pick more similar players up but in the next price bracket up. We don't need to spend tens of millions if the players buy into the plan.

I was of course, only joking.

I'd like us to try and sign the better young players from the championship and there are plenty to chose from. They more than often appreciate (look at Brooks and Maddison) and give us that bit of dynamism.

We need a keeper, couple of strikers, LWB, DC, MC and AMC.

One of the pecularities of football/sport is that players can earn multiples of what their manager earns, in no other business would this be considered. It can't be healthy in fostering relationships in football.

It's weird how I keep reading that the German clubs are clambering for young Englishmen and then the English clubs are clambering for Europeans. Who is right?

I'm with Chali 2na in that we don't seem to be doing too bad with our current policy, I'd back Wilder to pick more similar players up but in the next price bracket up. We don't need to spend tens of millions if the players buy into the plan.

...and who wouldn't, in 3 seasons in many cases, he's bought misfits and cast offs and turned them potentially into Premier League players.

European scouting networks don’t have to be expensive

What are you basing that on? Do you know how much a successful European scouting network would cost?

and, given the value to be had, I think it would more than pay its way in the same way that the academy has.

I'm sure it would eventually pay for itself, though it's not a guarantee.

The point is though, spending any money on anything besides the team (stadium/facilities/scouting/etc.) Would probabaly not go down to well with the manager or majority of the fans.

How would we feel if rather than sign someone like Norwood, we'd spent our (relatively limited) budget on a new scouting network?

...and who wouldn't, in 3 seasons in many cases, he's bought misfits and cast offs and turned them potentially into Premier League players.

One thing is for certain McCabe and Prince will back him to do the same again, particularly as the other option is spending some serious cash.

What are you basing that on? Do you know how much a successful European scouting network would cost?

The point is though, spending any money on anything besides the team (stadium/facilities/scouting/etc.) Would probabaly not go down to well with the manager or majority of the fans.

How would we feel if rather than sign someone like Norwood, we'd spent our (relatively limited) budget on a new scouting network?

You also have to factor in that all other top sides (and second tier sides) in Europe have these networks.

Also, you can find an absolute Gem of a player in French 2nd division for example, as soon as you register your interest, their agent contacts every other potential side anyway.

Where has the £20m figure come from?

(Some) German clubs want young English players because they realise how good our current crop is, and understand that thanks to the nature of the PL, they won't get games. They're filling a void that PL clubs can't, by offering young players top division minutes.

(Some) English clubs want European players because players are generally cheaper than their English counterparts.

Neither are "right" it's just different strategies, for different clubs, at different levels.

Exactly; our current transfer policy is the most successful in recent years, yet for some reason people seem desperate to change it.

I do think we do need to spend tens of millions if we get promoted though

Where has the £20m figure come from?

(Some) German clubs want young English players because they realise how good our current crop is, and understand that thanks to the nature of the PL, they won't get games. They're filling a void that PL clubs can't, by offering young players top division minutes.

(Some) English clubs want European players because players are generally cheaper than their English counterparts.

Neither are "right" it's just different strategies, for different clubs, at different levels.

Exactly; our current transfer policy is the most successful in recent years, yet for some reason people seem desperate to change it.

I do think we do need to spend tens of millions if we get promoted though

It's one I made up

Regarding prices, it's not always the case. Take Sancho and Pulisic for a damning example.

Yes, which is true, isn't it?

What relevance do Pulisic and Sancho have?

Sancho was 8m, Pulisic 57m?

Additionally Chelsea have spent 57m on a player that couldn't even get into the Dortmund team (at the cost of the younger English player) when they already have that spot covered in Hudson-Odoi.

Bizarre signing all round really.

It might be a lone example, but I believe young foreign players are equally expensive when the buying club is English.

German clubs want young English players because they realise how good our current crop is, and understand that thanks to the nature of the PL, they won't get games.
Very true. The German football federation have been looking at the English National setup and the academy structure for the past few years. The feeling, in football here, is that the current crop of players coming through should win the World Cup in the future.

Sancho was 8m, Pulisic 57m?

Additionally Chelsea have spent 57m on a player that couldn't even get into the Dortmund team (at the cost of the younger English player) when they already have that spot covered in Hudson-Odoi.

Bizarre signing all round really.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous; Sancho didn't move for an £8m transfer fee, he moved after his contract expired, and Dortmund paid £8m compensation. His value now would likely far exceed £100m.

The Pulisic deal does seem a little odd when you consider that they have Hudson-Odoi, but then, Chelsea's transfer policy has always seemed a little odd.
Don't forget that America is one of the most sought after, emerging markets for football and Pulisic looks set to be the greatest American player of all time: don't underestimate the commercial benefits of the deal.

It might be a lone example, but I believe young foreign players are equally expensive when the buying club is English.

There is definetly a premium charged by clubs selling to English clubs but I don't think you can say they are "equally expensive"

Using a another example, of 2 players of the same age, both playing in the same division last year, both signed in the summer by PL clubs: James Maddison and Diogo Jota.

The players are at a simalar level, though Jota scored more last season and has better experience prior to last season. (3 more champ goals in the same ammount of games and 70+ apps in the Portuguese top flight compared to 35 games in L1 and 3 in the championship for Maddison.)

Despite all this, Jota moved for £13m and Maddison moved for £22m, despite both players having a simalar current ability/potential.

Reactions: AJS
Very true. The German football federation have been looking at the English National setup and the academy structure for the past few years. The feeling, in football here, is that the current crop of players coming through should win the World Cup in the future.

The future's bright if you're an England fan:)

I think you're being a bit disingenuous; Sancho didn't move for an £8m transfer fee, he moved after his contract expired, and Dortmund paid £8m compensation. His value now would likely far exceed £100m.

The Pulisic deal does seem a little odd when you consider that they have Hudson-Odoi, but then, Chelsea's transfer policy has always seemed a little odd.
Don't forget that America is one of the most sought after, emerging markets for football and Pulisic looks set to be the greatest American player of all time: don't underestimate the commercial benefits of the deal.

There is definetly a premium charged by clubs selling to English clubs but I don't think you can say they are "equally expensive"

Using a another example, of 2 players of the same age, both playing in the same division last year, both signed in the summer by PL clubs: James Maddison and Diogo Jota.

The players are at a simalar level, though Jota scored more last season and has better experience prior to last season. (3 more champ goals in the same ammount of games and 70+ apps in the Portuguese top flight compared to 35 games in L1 and 3 in the championship for Maddison.)

Despite all this, Jota moved for £13m and Maddison moved for £22m, despite both players having a simalar current ability/potential.

Didn't think that European clubs had to pay compensation, thought it was only domestic? Could be wrong, but wasn't that whole issue pigs had with Hirst?

Not sure about Pulisic - to early to say, however I'd say he'll do well to surpass the likes of Dempsey or Donovan.

Didn't think that European clubs had to pay compensation, thought it was only domestic? Could be wrong, but wasn't that whole issue pigs had with Hirst?

Thinking about it, you might well be right, it may have been a fee rather than compensation.

The point remains though; the figure is low because he was out of contract and refusing to sign a new deal - not because English players are cheap.

Not sure about Pulisic - to early to say, however I'd say he'll do well to surpass the likes of Dempsey or Donovan.

He will likely surpass the achievments of both players with his eyes closed: he's only 20 and he's already playing at a higher level than both Donovan or Dempsey managed throughout their whole career.

Thinking about it, you might well be right, it may have been a fee rather than compensation.

The point remains though; the figure is low because he was out of contract and refusing to sign a new deal - not because English players are cheap.

He will likely surpass the achievments of both players with his eyes closed: he's only 20 and he's already playing at a higher level than both Donovan or Dempsey managed throughout their whole career.

So was Freddy Adu ;-)

I’m basing it on my direct knowledge of what scouting networks cost, a small fraction of the cost of the academy but with the potential for comparable returns. We don’t currently do it & rely on a scouting network that concentrates on the EFL & below, some of them on expenses only, fair enough, that’s the route the club has chosen to take and yes, its been successful. My point is that if we want to establish ourselves in the EPL it is something that I think we will need to do.

I’m basing it on my direct knowledge of what scouting networks cost, a small fraction of the cost of the academy but with the potential for comparable returns. We don’t currently do it & rely on a scouting network that concentrates on the EFL & below, some of them on expenses only, fair enough, that’s the route the club has chosen to take and yes, its been successful.

If you have direct knowledge of what scouting networks cost, then maybe you could provide some figures?

The following championship have utilised foreign markets this season (with varying degrees of success I might add): Villa, Brentford, Norwich, Forrest, Hull, Birmingham

Obviously each network will be different, but what does this sort of set up generally cost?

My point is that if we want to establish ourselves in the EPL it is something that I think we will need to do.

That may be your point now, but earlier you said "We miss a huge trick by not looking overseas." rather than "We will miss a huge trick by not looking overseas once we're in the premier league"

If you have direct knowledge of what scouting networks cost, then maybe you could provide some figures?

The following championship have utilised foreign markets this season (with varying degrees of success I might add): Villa, Brentford, Norwich, Forrest, Hull, Birmingham

Obviously each network will be different, but what does this sort of set up generally cost?

That may be your point now, but earlier you said "We miss a huge trick by not looking overseas." rather than "We will miss a huge trick by not looking overseas once we're in the premier league"

Small 100k
Medium 500k
Large 1.2m
Extensive 2.5m

Source - Football manager.

I get to meet a number of agents in my line of work, when I do I always ask in jest if they have any decent players to send them our way.

One I was speaking to the other day replied with, “he’s great is Chris. Always says to me if you have any good British
players then let me know” so that’s your answer

Back
Top Bottom