Tactical Error

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

davidblade

Reaction score
I think we made an error in signing Ramsdale , we should have resigned Henderson yes 120k a week and appx 6 million for the year is a lot but don’t forget I bet Ramsdale is getting 40k a week 2 million a year then you add the transfer fee , we could of bought a Buendia type of player. We don’t seem to have many options other than our normal 3-5-2 system

I think we made an error in signing Ramsdale , we should have resigned Henderson yes 120k a week and appx 6 million for the year is a lot but don’t forget I bet Ramsdale is getting 40k a week 2 million a year then you add the transfer fee , we could of bought a Buendia type of player. We don’t seem to have many options other than our normal 3-5-2 system

Apart from the fact that it is FAR too early to judge Ramsdale, Henderson wasn't available. He and Man United had made it clear he was their player and staying to challenge for the no 1 spot.

Wishing it weren't so might be understandable, but ultimately futile.

Keep the thread going though as it will give a few others to pile in and accuse Ramsdale of being worse than Long.

I don't understand this line of thought. What has Ramsdale done in the last 2 games to show that he's not good enough?!

I’m not I’m saying the money should of been spent elsewhere when it’s so tight

Your also assuming that Henderson and Man Utd wanted to him come back.

All the indications are that he wanted to stay at OT and fight for his place.

It depends what our budget was to put it all on a GK when there’s plenty of keepers knocking about seems a bit strange when we was crying out for better attackers but what do I know 😂 I trust the manager through and through

Martinez good signing for Villa,other than that we have made our bed now with Ramsdale,so we lie in it.

Your also assuming that Henderson and Man Utd wanted to him come back.

All the indications are that he wanted to stay at OT and fight for his place.

You may be correct but was it after we had made clear we were not prepared to pay the 120k a week I don’t know and I suspect no one else on this forum does either

In ramsdale we have got statistically a slightly below average PL Gk. he might improve as he’s only young but he’s not going to ‘win’ games on his own.

He basically saves most of what he’s expected to, nothing more nothing less. Whiles Henderson was a top 5 PL keeper last year who saved much more than he was expected to. There was going to be a drop off - that’s not to say hendo would have got us point in these games.

To my mind the question is if we would have been better punting the GK situation down the road and loaning another keeper for a year and using the 18.5m we spend on ramsdale on some attackers.

I don't understand this line of thought. What has Ramsdale done in the last 2 games to show that he's not good enough?!
You obviously weren't part of the shoutbox meltdown last night at the goal. Ramsdale's fault apparently and Henderson would have got it.

People need to wake up, he's not our fucking player, get over it.

To be fair he is only 22 still developing in Goalkeeping terms. He could easily have 8 seasons as number 1 like Paddy did and still only be 30/31 time definitely on his side

Martinez good signing for Villa,other than that we have made our bed now with Ramsdale,so we lie in it.
One big criticism of Wilder is our refusal to explore the Jonny foreigner market. With HRH links we should be looking for offshore talent cause home grown is owned by a few clubs who keep most of them in U23 or benched on big bucks. And that’s destroying the national team.

Yes, we should've signed a player we couldn't afford that Man U wanted to keep. Huge error.

A bit off-topic, but I don't think one can survive in the PL simply by signing prospects being in the right age. Did we enquire after Martinez?

One big criticism of Wilder is our refusal to explore the Jonny foreigner market. With HRH links we should be looking for offshore talent cause home grown is owned by a few clubs who keep most of them in U23 or benched on big bucks. And that’s destroying the national team.

I thought that we had used the foreign market to bring in Verrips, presumably because we saw him as a prospect. Not every transfer will work out unfortunately.

I thought that we had used the foreign market to bring in Verrips, presumably because we saw him as a prospect. Not every transfer will work out unfortunately.
Strange one Verrips, was that a punt or a serious first team purchase? He’s behind Fodders and Rammers and seemed embroiled in admin issues with his former club.
Berge has worked out great but Zicovic and Retsos were again projects, punts etc not a serious finished player.

I think we need a bit of perspective on this

Hendo is an outstanding keeper, and imo will be Englands no1 and get over 50 caps.
however, he wanted to return and OGS wanted him to put pressure on deGea, so coming back, whether we wanted to spend the money was probably not an option.
we would at that point have a few options, short term - be that another loan or a Ben Foster type player, or a permanent long term signing
given we went long term, my only question would be whether we got into a conversation about Martinez, he looked capable of keeping Leno out of the Arsenal side on last seasons form. maybe the wages were too high, but he may be the 'one that got away'

so we end up with Ramsdale, good keeper, but when we cant out score teams, we need to be very tight at the back
non of the 3 goals conceded were as bad as the one Hendo let in v Lpl last year at the Lane, but imo he seemed flat footed for 2 of them

there is always going to be a comparison, thats life, but lets be realistic.
Hendo would sell for £80m and be on £150k pw
Ramsdale went for £18m and £40k

of course we are downgrading, you cant sell your 3 year old Jag and buy a 5 year old Ford and try to tell people you've gone up in the world!!

however if thats how it is then so be it, we need to accept he will let in goals, but understand why he is here

Hendo did the occasional "daft-dive" thing to take the piss out of way off-target shots, but Ramsdale seems to have it as his "stock-in-trade". He worries me, I admit (reluctantly).

I’m not I’m saying the money should of been spent elsewhere when it’s so tight

Cost this year of Ramsdale = £18m/5 years = £3.6m + wages of say £40k a week = £2.08m TOTAL COST = £5.68m plus he's our player
Cost of Henderson this year = wages of (reportedly) £120k a week = £6.24m + loan fee of say £2m = £8.24m then he goes back to Man Utd and we have the same issue next summer.

It's cheaper to have Ramsdale than it is Henderson and he's an asset with future value.

Not impressed with Ramsdale (yet) but admit I'm looking at him through Hendo-tinted galsses. He was solid last year from what I saw so sure he'll be fine.

He might not earn us as many points as Henderson, so the pressure is on Wilder to find that player who will score more for us at the other end.

For what its worth, I reckon Man U's third choice goalie would have been a good signing.

Not impressed with Ramsdale (yet) but admit I'm looking at him through Hendo-tinted galsses. He was solid last year from what I saw so sure he'll be fine.

He might not earn us as many points as Henderson, so the pressure is on Wilder to find that player who will score more for us at the other end.

For what its worth, I reckon Man U's third choice goalie would have been a good signing.
Romero? No doubt he would have been a good signing but he's on a rumoured £100k per week which would put him as our highest earner by £60k - 2.5x the next highest.

Ramsdale was rumoured to be on £5-7k per week at Bournemouth. We might be paying him £20k including bonuses but I doubt it'll be much more than that.

Cost this year of Ramsdale = £18m/5 years = £3.6m + wages of say £40k a week = £2.08m TOTAL COST = £5.68m plus he's our player
Cost of Henderson this year = wages of (reportedly) £120k a week = £6.24m + loan fee of say £2m = £8.24m then he goes back to Man Utd and we have the same issue next summer.
It's cheaper to have Ramsdale than it is Henderson and he's an asset with future value.

Agreed but if we go down the loses will be significantly higher with Ramsdale in goal.

Is "foreign market" a synonym for Belgian players suggestet to the Prince by his Belgian pals?

Strange one Verrips, was that a punt or a serious first team purchase? He’s behind Fodders and Rammers and seemed embroiled in admin issues with his former club.
Berge has worked out great but Zicovic and Retsos were again projects, punts etc not a serious finished player.

I admit I am puzzled by the outcome of Retsos & Verrips & why we haven't/hadn't given them a couple of games at least. They were both recommended & with our post lock down run it was the perfect opportunity to have a look in a game situation. At least Zivkovic had some minutes.

Is "foreign market" a synonym for Belgian players suggestet to the Prince by his Belgian pals?

No idea, I was replying to the phrase as used by Blade56. However, your reference of Belgium should give you a clue as to whether those players were playing in the UK or not surely?

Back
Top Bottom