Starting XI as it stands (ongoing thread)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Master stroke to bring Jags in for me. ( Jags better than me). Jags n Billy, bring new lads and last years stars together

I think this would be great start

On the bench would be

Moore, Jags, Sharp, Osborn, Lundstram, L Freeman, Morrison. Of course that leaves Mousett not even in the squad which probably won't be what happens. Plus we're almost certainly going to have the premier league loan player added to what we have even if we don't sign anyone else permanently. Which means 1 more of that lot to drop out.

In time the starting 11 will probably look more like this

Henderson
Jags - Egan - JOC
Baldock - PL loan - Norwood/Fleck - Stevens
Robinson
McBurnie - Mousett

That probably leaves us with the best bench we've ever had in our history.

Just over 3 years ago our starting 11 looked like this. Not totally sure about the formation but these were the players.

Long
Baptiste - Edgar - Mceverley -Done
Coutts - Hammond - Basham - Woolford
Sharp - Adams

It won’t ‘probably’ look like that. ‘Probably’ means more likely than not. The word you’re looking for is either ‘possibly’ - objective and neutral, or ‘hopefully’ because that’s what you want to see.

‘Jags’ is ‘probably’ not going to oust Bash. Freeman, Morrison and Osborn will ‘probably’ figure quite prominently. I would not assume that either Fleck or Norwood are set in stone.

We’re in uncharted territory. There are few if any certain starters. Quite right too.

For me V Palace:

———-———Hendo——————-
——-Jags ——-Egan——JOC——-
Baldock——————-————Stevens
———Norwood———Freeman——-
——————-Robinson————-
———Sharp———McBurnie——

For me V Palace:

———-———Hendo——————-
——-Jags ——-Egan——JOC——-
Baldock——————-————Stevens
———Norwood———Freeman——-
——————-Robinson————-
———Sharp———McBurnie——

Looks like you've spelled 'Fleck' and 'McGoldrick' wrong, mate....

Looks like you've spelled 'Fleck' and 'McGoldrick' wrong, mate....
Fleck wouldn’t be in my starting 11

McGoldrick could be but how do you choose a bloody striker now!

Fleck wouldn’t be in my starting 11

McGoldrick could be but how do you choose a bloody striker now!

How do you reach the conclusion Freeman can play his position and do better? Same question to others with this view.

He's barely ever played that position and can't do the defensive work like Fleck. Also more likely to lose the ball in that area.

Osborn is the primary competition for Fleck as he's a similar player type.

Agree it's hard to select the strikers but McGoldrick got us promoted with outstanding performances for the last 2 or 3 months of last season and has since got himself in even better shape physically. One of those attacking places is his to lose.

How do you reach the conclusion Freeman can play his position and do better? Same question to others with this view.

He's barely ever played that position and can't do the defensive work like Fleck. Also more likely to lose the ball in that area.

Osborn is the primary competition for Fleck as he's a similar player type.

Agree it's hard to select the strikers but McGoldrick got us promoted with outstanding performances for the last 2 or 3 months of last season and has since got himself in even better shape physically. One of those attacking places is his to lose.
Maybe Freeman isn’t the right fit as a swap, but I thought Fleck was something of a weak link during the second half of last season. He passed poorly and made a lot of errors. Would like to improvement in that department.

Maybe Freeman isn’t the right fit as a swap, but I thought Fleck was something of a weak link during the second half of last season. He passed poorly and made a lot of errors. Would like to improvement in that department.

I think that's very wide of the mark. Much of his contribution last season was defensive and I think it's ridiculous to call someone a weak link when nobody we could have possibly got would be capable of doing the same job in a role he's defined over the last 3 years. I think his technical standards and attacking contribution got better and better towards the end of the season too.

I also predict he'll shine more in the PL than he did last season. It will become more suited to him than Norwood.

Henderson
Bash Egan JOC
Baldock Stevens
Norwood Fleck
Freeman
Robinson - McBurnie

I wouldn't be surprised if Lundstrum starts ahead of Freeman though based on pre-season.

An awful lot of folks falling in to the Wednesday mentality trap of being dearer means better. It doesn’t. Clearly 😉.

On the first day of the season away at Bournemouth I would fully expect Sharp to proudly lead out the side. ON MERIT and not based on any sentimental clap trap.

I would also expect him to be partnered by Dids or Robbo. McBurnie will obviously feature strongly during the season but I’m expecting him to be eased in with just over a week to get used to his new teammates.

What will be very interesting to see is if CW will go with a front 3. Either 2 tens and a 9 or the other way round.

Away at Bournemouth, IMHO we should be going for it and thus I would go Dids behind Robbo and Bill.

UTB

Henderson
Bash Egan JOC
Baldock Stevens
Norwood Fleck
Duffy
McGoldrick Sharp

We didn't need to spend any money. 🤣

I would imagine Freeman and Robinson having been involved through preseason to be starters at Bournemouth. It probably simplifies things that Mousset is still getting fit – he’ll probably be introduced more slowly into the mix.

That said, if Lundstram starts today again I can’t see him being left out next weekend.

It won’t ‘probably’ look like that. ‘Probably’ means more likely than not. The word you’re looking for is either ‘possibly’ - objective and neutral, or ‘hopefully’ because that’s what you want to see.

‘Jags’ is ‘probably’ not going to oust Bash. Freeman, Morrison and Osborn will ‘probably’ figure quite prominently. I would not assume that either Fleck or Norwood are set in stone.

We’re in uncharted territory. There are few if any certain starters. Quite right too.
Oh. It's you again.

I'm giving my opinions on what is probable. Time will tell. I think it's probable that Jags will have a bigger impact than Morrison. Although I'd be happy to be wrong.

Do you still think Nigel Adkins will leave a bigger impression on the world of football than Chris Wilder.

What was it?

He'll get a paragraph when Wilder will only be worth a sentence?

Still no JOC in the matchday squad for the Reims game.

Still no JOC in the matchday squad for the Reims game.

More worrying is mousset again doesn’t appear close to the first team...

Worrying signs give the amount we’ve spent on him, you’d have thought we’d give him some match action pre season.

More worrying is mousset again doesn’t appear close to the first team...

Worrying signs give the amount we’ve spent on him, you’d have thought we’d give him some match action pre season.

He got clattered the other day to be fair against Matlock.

It's the lack of updates that concern me with JOC.

All I've heard is tight calf.

He got clattered the other day to be fair against Matlock.

It's the lack of updates that concern me with JOC.

All I've heard is tight calf.

Hope it’s just that.... he’ll be desperate to take his chance.

I’m less worried about JOC as he’s a fit lad, so doesn’t seem any point in chancing things this close to the start of the season.

But it is one of the positions we are lacking cover in. Bryan to start the season or an out of position Stevens (meaning we don’t have our best left back playing.)??? 😬

On the upside it gives kean a chance to try and prove he is worth keeping around.

I think that when you have such a large influx of players, some of whom will never have played in a CWAK system, then the last thing you want is to try to get them to blend when you're up against quality teams that may make you spend much of the game on the back foot, defending.

We needed them to have most of the ball, most of the possession, most of the play, just to get used to each other IMO

Blah, blah, f’king blah. Don’t try and use common sense with me sunny Jim! ;)

Hope it’s just that.... he’ll be desperate to take his chance.

I’m less worried about JOC as he’s a fit lad, so doesn’t seem any point in chancing things this close to the start of the season.

But it is one of the positions we are lacking cover in. Bryan to start the season or an out of position Stevens (meaning we don’t have our best left back playing.)??? 😬

On the upside it gives kean a chance to try and prove he is worth keeping around.
In all the pre season games that Bryan has played he's looked very good.

Yeah I think Bryan will play if JOC is out.

Back
Top Bottom