Southampton 3 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

9 passes completed in the first 15 minutes? against Southampton?! Pathetic, really.
It was over 20 minutes in to the game that we had still only completed 9 passes. That's less than one pass every two minutes. I'm quite sure I have never seen that in any game, by any team, ever.

I've given them all 9 out of 10, as they tried their best . 2/10 is not going to help these isolated players.
However they were in a confused formation, with poor tactical applications, badly briefed to deal with the high press of the opponent. A repeat of previous weak performance. CWAK get 1/10, as it's their responsibility to prepare the team. If HRH thinks 1 point from 15 games including last season is good enough, then its unlikely to change. Still I followed them to div 4, looks like I'll be doing it again, unless CWAK realise the only thing that hasn't changed is them.

A spineless display by a very poor side, overseen by a manager that has completely lost it tactically and motivationally.

I do not listen to Wilder's after match interviews this season, but the one thing the latest one needed to contain was an apology to the supporters for that display. But it won't have.

The performance it reminded me of most was our 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford in the cup in 2016, although that team defended better than this one.

My ratings:

Decent players, playing poorly: Baldock, Basham, Egan
Decent players, playing terribly: Fleck, Stevens
Rubbish players: McBurnie, Ampadu
Lacking a spine: Ramsdale, Berge
Too old: Sharp, Jagielka
Never noticed them: McGoldrick, Brewster, Mousset

I cannot make a case for Wilder staying. I would not rule out a relegation struggle next season if he stays.

Couldn't agree more about the championship, this side at the moment will struggle. We are going back without doubt now so I would be planning for it and start in January. Try and offload the shit and bring in who we can to take the team back up....we need a plan now.

Southampton were so good as we were so bad, full of running, movement, pace and players with desire and skill
Not one of our players would get into their side
They are near the top of the league which demonstrates how they have improved so much in the last year from that defeat by Leicester
They kept with their manager after that total humiliation in front of their own fans
So I think it’s a massive credit to them how they have turned it round and become such a good looking side.
As for us, just completely outplayed, it was like playing Real Madrid away
They pressed us high from the start and put us under severe pressure, we had no answer as the midfield is dreadful and no wingers or pace up front to hold the ball up and threaten their defence.
Why start with Sharp, just don’t get that at all, offers absolutely nothing
May as well start with Brewster, give him game time and get him match fit at least, we still have no idea if he is actually any good with any quality
So, onto Man United next, should be looking forward to it and excited, will probably watch from behind the settee

Back
Top Bottom