Simon Jordan's quote on the Prince and Wilder in September

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
"He was clear that he looked at other clubs. He's spending the money the Premier League has allowed him to spend by their involvement. I think what he's spent is reasonable, £50-60m a season, it's the wages that will be the key. It'll be a key season for Sheffield United, Chris Wilder is the perfect manager and we'll see if second season syndrome comes in. I don't think it will. He's a breath of fresh air. I love his attitude. But they've got a challenge because of the expectations, very rarely do you ever satisfy the expectations of media and fans. Once you don't, you're in a different dynamic that people become disappointed and disillusioned" Jordan has got it spot on with the last two sentences.

To me Wilder is still the perfect manager for SUFC. We have not started well but there are still 28 league matches left to play, our key players such as Fleck and Mousett have returned to the team, we are still missing JOC, hopefully Stevens will be back soon and with Brewster looking good last night. It dismays me that some have given up this season and quite a few want Wilder out! If we do go down this season I hope the majority of Blades fans still want Wilder to continue next season.

By 'we have not started well' you mean we've had the worst start in the history of the Premier League?

It's not about expectations it's about abject failure this season, so far. Is there anyone out there who expected us to start this badly?

Spot on Silent. We'll get out of this position; we've been unfortunate again and McBurnie is far from the disaster painted by some.
Just watched Wilder's BBC interview and he's played it superbly - might look a bit samey but what he said was appropriate to the situation. He's disappointed but he's not too down. He's a great manager and I'm sure he'll deliver that spark that lifts the team.
UTB

By 'we have not started well' you mean we've had the worst start in the history of the Premier League?

It's not about expectations it's about abject failure this season, so far. Is there anyone out there who expected us to start this badly?
Before the start of last season also this season I said "The aim is for 17th place at least"

I think I said we'd finish between 14-17th but would definitely be in a relegation scrap. I got called names because 'we almost qualified for Europe last season'.

A brief delve into the search system doesn’t appear to back that up. It was brief though.

To me Wilder is still the perfect manager for SUFC. We have not started well but there are still 28 league matches left to play, our key players such as Fleck and Mousett have returned to the team, we are still missing JOC, hopefully Stevens will be back soon and with Brewster looking good last night. It dismays me that some have given up this season and quite a few want Wilder out! If we do go down this season I hope the majority of Blades fans still want Wilder to continue next season.
Fleck is still 35-40% of the battling midfielder he was last season. I am baffled where all that ability has leaked away to. Mousset is never the answer to our goalscoring inability. Stevens is a busted flush and poor young Brewster has that 'what the FUCK did I come here for to get fucking relegated?' look on his face.

No one wants Wilder to go, not you, not me, not anyone. But if you can't change, you won't survive. It's as simple as that. If he doesn't change something, then the board will change the next level up to change something. Sentimentality and allegiance doesn't even come into it. It's all about survival now and how we do against teams around us. At the moment it's looking like us, Burnley and WBA for the drop, with possibly Fulham in there too and I give them lot more chance of pulling away from us than I do of us catching them.

pommpey

We only have to win twelve out of the 28 games left sounds easy don't it. The trouble being it is now getting close to the win one lose one scenario that will be needed to survive draws will not be good enough.
I think for us to stay up, we do not need as many as 12 wins. Think this season will see the lowest number of points in PL history for the team finishing in 18th place

Fleck is still 35-40% of the battling midfielder he was last season. I am baffled where all that ability has leaked away to. Mousset is never the answer to our goalscoring inability. Stevens is a busted flush and poor young Brewster has that 'what the FUCK did I come here for to get fucking relegated?' look on his face.

No one wants Wilder to go, not you, not me, not anyone. But if you can't change, you won't survive. It's as simple as that. If he doesn't change something, then the board will change the next level up to change something. Sentimentality and allegiance doesn't even come into it. It's all about survival now and how we do against teams around us. At the moment it's looking like us, Burnley and WBA for the drop, with possibly Fulham in there too and I give them lot more chance of pulling away from us than I do of us catching them.

pommpey
Let's see

I think for us to stay up, we do not need as many as 12 wins. Think this season will see the lowest number of points in PL history for the team finishing in 18th place
Exactly. We've been bloody awful (for various reasons but whatever way it's approached we have). In previous seasons, we'd already be deep, deep in the mire and cut adrift. We're truly not.

5 points away from being out of the relegation places with pretty much 3 quarters of a season to play. 1 point is dire, so is losing to West Brom. But the 'I don't see where we can get a win from' argument...

We've been as bad as we possibly could (arguably bloody worse than that) but there are positive signs, no matter how bad West Brom were and how bad that and the other results have been so far. It's not like we need to string a huge run together, the league's so poor at the bottom, eke out a couple of wins and it all looks very different.

I'm not pretending it's not been bloody awful... plenty writing us off way too early though.

"He was clear that he looked at other clubs. He's spending the money the Premier League has allowed him to spend by their involvement. I think what he's spent is reasonable, £50-60m a season, it's the wages that will be the key. It'll be a key season for Sheffield United, Chris Wilder is the perfect manager and we'll see if second season syndrome comes in. I don't think it will. He's a breath of fresh air. I love his attitude. But they've got a challenge because of the expectations, very rarely do you ever satisfy the expectations of media and fans. Once you don't, you're in a different dynamic that people become disappointed and disillusioned" Jordan has got it spot on with the last two sentences.

I think that:

1) We are going down

2) Wilder should stay

If we don't bother with the FA Cup (again) we might stand a chance of stopping up with Fleck & Moose match fit again, one win and we'll be flying up to 17th place and safety. Have faith and don't be doom merchants
UTB

I was close albeit admittedly more positive

I've gone 14th.

Will be a stronger league this season and I reckon we could finish anywhere between 10th and 16th but much will depended on injuries.

I can easily see Southampton, Everton, Newcastle and West Ham finishing above us, and maybe Leeds.

A brief delve into the search system doesn’t appear to back that up. It was brief though.

It's a terrible start but I'm with you. Plenty of time left. It's just about outperforming 3 other teams and I can't say Fulham, Burnley and WBA look like putting huge daylight between us. United were better than WBA yesterday. If it finished 5-2 to us, they couldn't have complained such was the quality of chance we spurned.

But I do think Chris needs to look at the system because if we are taking to the field with Lowe and Bryan to maintain the system, then we are leaving out much better players.

It's just about outperforming 3 other teams.

It isn't though, is it. We can be better than every team we face but if we don't score goals we'll not get enough points. See below.
United were better than WBA yesterday.

But we still lost. Outperforming WBA got us 0 points as we failed to convert some very good chances. There's no reason why we couldn't have won that game 2-1 with the chances we had in the second half, games are decided by goals scored not performances.

Steve Nichol probably

The manager needs to sort this out now, some players are playing terribly and being picked over and over again and some have been alienated. If he continues doing the same as he has done so far we're already finished, it won't matter how many games are left. If he's willing to change we have a chance but so far I have seen a very stubborn man, a stance which has worked in previous scenarios (although personally I'd have scalded Duffy but allowed him back on receipt of an apology) but not this time.

If we don't bother with the FA Cup (again) we might stand a chance of stopping up with Fleck & Moose match fit again, one win and we'll be flying up to 17th place and safety. Have faith and don't be doom merchants
UTB

A good run in the FA Cup could help build confidence. Winning games, regardless of the competition it is in, is never a bad thing.

I have absolutely given up on staying up this season. We don't look like scoring against 80% of sides in the league, then when we play the very worst sides we create chances but can't score them.

We're absolutely fucked.

Wilder in though.

would agree with most of these comments i hope we stick with chris if we go down but he is stubborn thats for sure especially with the system we play whenever he changes it in games we always seem to look a better side so dont understand why hes sticking with it but unless our strikers start putting the ball in the net were going down im afraid

I still think the re instatment of allowing back the crowd is important to United, we are not like other teams, whose players are used to migrating from one club to another, and never have any allegence to any club they play for. For them it is the best wages they can get, and it doesn't matter from who. Lets face it, the United team has probably cost less than £100m, that is probably the annual budget for each of the top 6.

Chris and Alan want commitment from players to put their bodies on the line, along with buying into the club as if they are part of it. The fans appreciation of this, makes this happen.

I don't think we will be quite the same until the crowds are back. When they are back we could be too far adrift, but I live in hope, and beleive that come what may Chris and Alan are the only guys who can get us back in the Prem.

It isn't though, is it. We can be better than every team we face but if we don't score goals we'll not get enough points. See below.

But we still lost. Outperforming WBA got us 0 points as we failed to convert some very good chances. There's no reason why we couldn't have won that game 2-1 with the chances we had in the second half, games are decided by goals scored not performances.

this is my concern, at the beginning of the season I was quite upbeat, as i would think 'we havent played that badly, surely the win will come' now however i am seeing that even when we play ok, we arent good enough.

if we play badly and loose, then fair enough, but aside from 20 mins against Chelsea, i dont think weve been that far off, which is the real worry.

last season Watford changed their manager and went down, Norwich and Bournemouth stuck with theirs, and went down!

Had we sacked Bassett at the end of November would we have stayed up 90-91?

Had West Ham not sacked Pelligrini would they have stayed up last season?

Princey boy has a big call to make.......

We only have to win twelve out of the 28 games left sounds easy don't it. The trouble being it is now getting close to the win one lose one scenario that will be needed to survive draws will not be good enough.
12 wins? That's nearly as many as we managed last season (14 wins as we finished 9th). We need to aim get to 34-36 points from here - 8 wins, 9 draws might be enough.

When/where will we get our next point? Brighton, Burnley?
I don’t think it will be in the next 3 games that’s for sure...3 times that are playing really well...we never get anywhere near Leicester, Man U rolled us over at theirs last season and Southampton play some lovely football and will finish top 10 easily imo....scrambling around to see where we can get a point! Brighton played really well v Liverpool and have a good structure about them.........so I have no idea LOL

To be honest this bad ? no, but I had us down for 5 points before West Brom -: lose lose draw lose win lose lose lose draw
and predicted a 17th place finish before the season start.
We looked stale post lockdown last season and that worried me. Yes Chelsea n Spurs wins were two exceptional results but even then we did not play with the fluidity or intensity pre lockdown

Back
Top Bottom