Ryan Leonard

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Shrimperama

Reaction score
Hi Blades fans.

You seem to have adapted very well to life in the championship.

Just wondered how our former midfielder "Lenny" is getting on. Seen a few games on sky and he hasn' t been too involved.

Just wondered what your thoughts are?

Tbf we all thought that we would miss him, but one of youth Dru Yearwood has filled his boots and looks an amazing prospect at 18 years of age. Seems to have it all. Strange quirk of fate really.

All the best for your play off push.

Anonymous when he has played is spot on but he needs more time and games if we’re to judge properly, he has an engine, can pass and can tackle but he just needs to do all those things quicker both in thought and movement, I’m sure he’ll adapt.

It's weird. We're into April now and I can't say I feel I've seen enough of him to make a fair judgement. A full preseason with us might see him feature more.

For a better, more well thought-out comment, please see wizadry's post above!

I think it's fair to say it's taking some time for him to adapt to our style of play. To be fair, he hasn't had a run of starts and has already been played in a number of positions, right wing back, right sided central defender, holding midfielder and a more advanced midfield role (I think).

However, I trust that Wilder didn't court him for 18 months for no reason and I fully expect him to play a big part in the first team next season.

Dru Yearwood? Anyone know Chris's number?

Looking at his abilities I wonder if he’ll become a fullback/wingback at championship level. His touch and passing need to improve for him to play in the centre.

That said, in what little time he’s had, he did make one fast and powerful burst forward that made me say wow. He’s got plenty of time to settle into a role.

Put himself about well in some games, been anonymous in others. As above he needs some time to get into the rhythm of things here.

I'd also say one of his better games came when he filled in at CB against Forest. With all the competition at CM part of me wonders if that's where he'll ultimately end up for us.

We've a lot of decent talent who sit on the bench, so Len's going to have to be patient, work hard in training, and when called upon do his best to impress.

We're a sympathetic bunch when it's clear a player is trying, where we aren't patient is when we've paid a decent fee and what we appear to have received in return is moderate at best. Too early to judge Len's value to us. Like almost every player we have, I wish Len well.

Basically shown very little so far, a bit like playing a ghost where it all goes on around him. Anonymous and 'rabbit in headlights' spring to mind, but then non of the 4 JTW signings, so far, are better than what we already had.
Out of the 4 he looks the worst of the lot. More worryingly he seems to offer nothing game changingly .different.
Whether it is the pace of the game, his speed of thought, or our fast flowing system, but so far I've not seen anything in him that even puts him above Carruthers
If he was on loan, like Wilson, he'd be going back.
Maybe we can convert him into a different role cos he looks miles away from a Championship midfielder ATM.
Hope things improve for the lad.

Leonard has made the odd subs appearance but hardly touched the ball and when he has touched the ball he’s just kept it simple. So no one can really judge him yet.....in fact it feels like he hasn’t played for us yet....it’s far too early.

That's a shame tbh. He is a cracking fella both on and off of the pitch.

He had been at Southend a long time. Maybe it was a case of big fish small pond and now he is just a small fish amongst bigger fish in a lake.

He is an excellent box to box midfielder and his forte is his work off of the ball.

I hope it works out for him as it was a big move for his career and his lifestyle.

He had been at Southend a long time. Maybe it was a case of big fish small pond and now he is just a small fish amongst bigger fish in a lake.

He is an excellent box to box midfielder and his forte is his work off of the ball.

I hope it works out for him as it was a big move for his career and his lifestyle.
Don’t worry, there’s plenty of time for him to develop here.

Only one or two players can hit it off straight away at any one club and he hasn’t put a foot wrong yet, although admittedly not playing much or trying anything too difficult, he’s still finding his surroundings.

Sure he has the potential to do a job for us as part of our squad but not sure of his ability to hold down a position ( whichever it may be ) on a permanent basis.
Did notice on Monday evening that he did not seem to fit in with the rest of the substitutes during the half time kick about, seeming very quiet and reserved almost as though he was still finding his feet and felt in awe of surroundings and company. As others have said, a good preseason will do him the world of good and a bit if confidence to be gained if he were to score or impress when coming on as a sub as at the moment he has not really stood out.

Don’t worry. He’ll get the support and time from our fans, we value character, team work and effort above ability.
Think Wilder also likes him too, so he’s got time to prove himself.
I assume that it’s the Summer18 pre season that will be his time to step forward, work out his best position and assert

It is fair to say though that in his early games he might have stage fright as he’s seemed overly focused on keeping it simple and not making errors, so I can’t remember him doing anything particularly good so far. As I said it feels like he’s not played yet in midfield, almost invisible.
However he did make 1 appearance as centre half (not his natural position), it was his best performance and he looked decent.

As others have said, in the parts he’s played, he hasn’t really done anything that great, nut nor has he done anything wrong. He’ll grow into it with the right attitude, which it’s clear he’s got.
Reminds me of when Chris Basham came in, was thrown on all over the pitch playing in positions here there and everywhere and looking like a spare part, but as games and confidence have grown he’s nailed himself down as one of the first names on the team sheet. Hoping for the same from Lenny.

Don’t worry. He’ll get the support and time from our fans, we value character, team work and effort above ability.
Think Wilder also likes him too, so he’s got time to prove himself.
I assume that it’s the Summer18 pre season that will be his time to step forward, work out his best position and assert

It is fair to say though that in his early games he might have stage fright as he’s seemed overly focused on keeping it simple and not making errors, so I can’t remember him doing anything particularly good so far. As I said it feels like he’s not played yet in midfield, almost invisible.
However he did make 1 appearance as centre half (not his natural position), it was his best performance and he looked decent.
Get support from our fans! having a laugh
Win us over you are sound if you don,t you are in for a rough ride.

Swap back for Dru Yearwood?
Good idea! Swop Dru Yearwood for Ryan Deadwood.

Sorry to tell you Mr Shrimper but he’s been somewhere between invisible and awful so far.

Still, it’s early days I suppose, but most of us are wondering why we chased him so hard?

Oh dear! That description is terribly Adkinsesque!

We bought him because of his work on the ball!

As one or two have already said I've not seen enough of him to make a complete judgement. Apart from the one appearance at centre half, when Wilder's put him in midfield it's been in the advanced role that Duffy plays. I don't think that's his game, my thought is he would be better suited playing the anchor in midfield, a player with a bit of bite who can sit in there (similar to what Michael Brown did for Fulham and Spurs after a going up a level from us, he had been the archetypal box-to-box player for us but developed his game in the Prem to become more of a holding midfield player).

As a few have said it’s a bit early judge mate ,he came with the box to box midfielder reputation but I think he’s still adapting to life & our system we play here .Very similar situation with Ricky Holmes ,after a pre-season we’ll see things a bit clearer , only Lee Evans of the last transfer window signings established themselves & he was one most of us knew least about , still a lot of question marks

We had a great player who did lots of unseen work off the ball in Dean Hammond, one can only hope he’s a patch on Deano and we’ll all be literally laughing.

Got the potential to be a leading future scapegoat for any poor results but currently lagging behind donaldson/lundstrum/evans....

Not really had a consistent run of games to say if he is or isn't cut out for this level but then neither has Holmes who we also chased for over a year.

Too early to judge....

However against Hull (a game you can no doubt find as it was on sky) he turned in one of the worst performances I have seen in a long time.

More worryingly than his performance was his body language and general demeanour which suggested to me he’s struggling to adapt both to the club and personally.

Big summer coming up. If he doesn’t up his game he will be gone next Jan.

Too early to judge....

However against Hull (a game you can no doubt find as it was on sky) he turned in one of the worst performances I have seen in a long time.

More worryingly than his performance was his body language and general demeanour which suggested to me he’s struggling to adapt both to the club and personally.

Big summer coming up. If he doesn’t up his game he will be gone next Jan.
Can't judge him on that match as everyone was poor he had no chance when the support for a new player wasn't there give him a bit space.In Wilder we trust.w

Back
Top Bottom