Quiz Question

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jim Chimmerney

Can hear the 'Cod Army' roar from his back garden
Reaction score
Had this in a local quiz last night;

Which venue in the North of England is the oldest continuously-used professional football club stadium in the world?

We confidentally put Bramall Lane but the answer was wrong :eek:

Without googling immediately, see who can come up with his answer and what my subsequent arguments were :)

We did this a little while ago, it was somebody like Mansfield but it's debateable whether it was continually used by a pro-club as they have been in and out of the league.

Yeah, his answer was Deepdale. By his own admission he 'doesn't do sport' so quite often takes things as a given and doesn't check stuff. Add to that, he's a slave to wikipedia, nuff said.

Had he re-worded the question then Deepdale would have been the answer as it has had continuous professional football played on it for the longest. Some team called 'The Wednesday' started at BDTBL but then there was a break of a couple of years before we took over (my argument was that the ground was used for cup games in between times, therefore still in continuous use :) ). Mansfield are again older than PNE but had a break when they went out of the league although arguably remained 'professional'.

Anything further I can throw back at him, feel free :)

Going OT a little but quizzes really need to be meticulously checked, I remember the question, 'which is the closest star to the Earth?' Always good for a riot that one.

Going OT a little but quizzes really need to be meticulously checked, I remember the question, 'which is the closest star to the Earth?' Always good for a riot that one.

The sun.

Yeah, his answer was Deepdale. By his own admission he 'doesn't do sport' so quite often takes things as a given and doesn't check stuff. Add to that, he's a slave to wikipedia, nuff said.

Had he re-worded the question then Deepdale would have been the answer as it has had continuous professional football played on it for the longest. Some team called 'The Wednesday' started at BDTBL but then there was a break of a couple of years before we took over (my argument was that the ground was used for cup games in between times, therefore still in continuous use :) ). Mansfield are again older than PNE but had a break when they went out of the league although arguably remained 'professional'.

Anything further I can throw back at him, feel free :)
May I just point out that The Wednesday Did Not start at Bramall Lane. The Lane was never their home ground, they played at Olive Grove and various other grounds and hired the Lane when involved in a big game where they needed more capacity.

Spurs played a number of home league games at Wembley but no one would suggest that it was ever their ground.

The Wednesday chose to leave the city of Sheffield and relocate to the Owlerton/Hillsborough area which at the time they made that move were not within the City boundary. Years later those areas were incorporated into the City and the club added the name Sheffield to their title in 1929.

United have been known by the name of the City since the club were formed. We are the oldest club in existence named United and we are the City club, when it comes to the City of Sheffield the Blades have been Semper Fidelis unlike a certain perfidious other organisation. ;)

May I just point out that The Wednesday Did Not start at Bramall Lane. The Lane was never their home ground, they played at Olive Grove and various other grounds and hired the Lane when involved in a big game where they needed more capacity.

Spurs played a number of home league games at Wembley but no one would suggest that it was ever their ground.

The Wednesday chose to leave the city of Sheffield and relocate to the Owlerton/Hillsborough area which at the time they made that move were not within the City boundary. Years later those areas were incorporated into the City and the club added the name Sheffield to their title in 1929.

United have been known by the name of the City since the club were formed. We are the oldest club in existence named United and we are the City club, when it comes to the City of Sheffield the Blades have been Semper Fidelis unlike a certain perfidious other organisation. ;)
They played professional football at the Lane though, that was my point.

Quiz masters love it when you correct their trivia. Fact.
I queried a question with a quizmaster (I was wrong) and he was really cool about it but the team who won every week, (my GF and I just dropped in and were having a laugh) were absolutely furious at my temerity; the leader's mood went 'ok' to furious in seconds. They were 4 school teachers.

"Among the known stars, Proxima Centauri has been the closest star to the Sun for about 32,000 years and will be so for about another 25,000 years, after which Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B will alternate approximately every 79.91 years as the closest star to the Sun. In 2001, J. García-Sánchez et al. predicted that Proxima will make its closest approach to the Sun in approximately 26,700 years, coming within 3.11 ly (0.95 pc).[69] A 2010 study by V. V. Bobylev predicted a closest approach distance of 2.90 ly (0.89 pc) in about 27,400 years,[70] followed by a 2014 study by C. A. L. Bailer-Jones predicting a perihelion approach of 3.07 ly (0.94 pc) in roughly 26,710 years.[71] Proxima Centauri is orbiting through the Milky Way at a distance from the Galactic Centre that varies from 27 to 31 kly (8.3 to 9.5 kpc), with an orbital eccentricity of 0.07.[72]" .... wiki

yes, its shall change in 26,700 years. Proxima meaning closest in Latin.

I queried a question with a quizmaster (I was wrong) and he was really cool about it but the team who won every week, (my GF and I just dropped in and were having a laugh) were absolutely furious at my temerity; the leader's mood went 'ok' to furious in seconds. They were 4 school teachers.
I set quizzes for years so know what a minefield it is. I always tried to double check everything but even then slip-ups creep in and yeah, quizzers love to get one over on the quizmaster :)

Its certainly a matter of unwritten etiquette. I've had some in the past change an answer or give me points when I've challenged an answer, but in some places I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.

Some of you regular quiz goers are a funny breed, round where I live theres a group who tour the local pubs on quiz nights, they literally turn up to the pub bang on time for the quiz and leave as soon as it's done. And God forbid if you're sat in their seat or you challenge the norm!

They played professional football at the Lane though, that was my point.

Fair enough, I took the phrase ' some team called the Wednesday started at BDTBL ' to mean that that was where they were formed and it was their ground initially. I've heard a few of their fans claim that is the case and I've always corrected them.

vorpal blade , I've spotted my error 'Alpha Centuri' is the name of the star system which has 3 stars as opposed to our star system having 1 (plus the planets).

Marty_Mcfly 'quizzing' is a weird thing,
when I lived in a village
there was a group of outsiders who would only turn up to win the jackpots when they were good, god knows how they monitored such things and also there was an annual super quiz that the quiz master's wife's team always won! This happened for about 3 consecutive years before politeness went out of the window!

Which word changes meaning when the first letter becomes a capital ?

Marty_Mcfly 'quizzing' is a weird thing,
when I lived in a village
there was a group of outsiders who would only turn up to win the jackpots when they were good, god knows how they monitored such things and also there was an annual super quiz that the quiz master's wife's team always won! This happened for about 3 consecutive years before politeness went out of the window!
You don't tend to see 'roving' super teams these days but yeah, I've been to many a quiz where 'a team from the vaults' has mysteriously won, or someone you've never seen (who seems to know the quizmaster) suddenly guesses the £500 music accumulator which has been running for 5 months ! Sadly, what is killing the good old pub quiz is phones, it's almost impossible to stop cheating these days unfortunately.

Used to go to a pub quiz where you swopped answer papers at the end with another team for marking. Unknowingly, we happened to swop ours with a team of schoolteachers. It came back with loads of questions marked wrong and “See me” written in red pen. o_O

Why is the answer to your question not “The Sun” though?
It is but usually when it's asked as a question, they generally mean apart from the sun. If you Google the question, it answers with The Alpha Centuri star system.

Back
Top Bottom