Paul Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

INTERUNITED

Reaction score
Why on earth is he on the bench? He has looked so far off it since his injury its untrue. We basically go a man down when he comes on as he can't seem to move freely. Yesterday would of been perfect for Lundstram to come on and put himself about, instead Coutts comes on and basically does nothing. That was the most bizarre substitution of the lot yesterday for me.

Why on earth is he on the bench? He has looked so far off it since his injury its untrue. We basically go a man down when he comes on as he can't seem to move freely. Yesterday would of been perfect for Lundstram to come on and put himself about, instead Coutts comes on and basically does nothing. That was the most bizarre substitution of the lot yesterday for me.
You can blame him if you like but he was put on to try and keep possession but when no one wants the ball nothing works.Norwood was pushed further forward and he was totally lost out of his comfort zone.
That old phrase one game at a time which is rolled out by managers and players seems to have gone out the window as our players minds are in the clouds.We have to come down to earth quickly

Amazing.
I genuinely thought he looked good when he came on.
Yes, there were one or two moments where he showed a bit of rustiness, but thought he showed some of his quality going forwards, which also seemed to lift a bit Fleck too.

Exactly.

If anything, and this was the chat around us in the South Stand, the question should be 'how are Fleck and Norwood apparent fixtures in the side given what they have produced in recent weeks?'.

The midfield has to set the tempo for the whole team and drive the game forward and I'm afraid that Fleck and Norwood have been largely anonymous for weeks now. The flash of the old Fleck yesterday, that set up the goal, was as frustrating as it was welcome because we could have done with so much more of that in recent weeks.

McGoldrick's stint in midfield yesterday should have embarrassed the rest of the midfielders - he shone like a beacon amongst their leaden-footed, one-paced anonymity.

Coutts shouldn't be on the bench now. He should be starting because neither Fleck nor Norwood are doing anywhere near enough to justify being automatic selections.

Exactly.

If anything, and this was the chat around us in the South Stand, the question should be 'how are Fleck and Norwood apparent fixtures in the side given what they have produced in recent weeks?'.

The midfield has to set the tempo for the whole team and drive the game forward and I'm afraid that Fleck and Norwood have been largely anonymous for weeks now. The flash of the old Fleck yesterday, that set up the goal, was as frustrating as it was welcome because we could have done with so much more of that in recent weeks.

McGoldrick's stint in midfield yesterday should have embarrassed the rest of the midfielders - he shone like a beacon amongst their leaden-footed, one-paced anonymity.

Coutts shouldn't be on the bench now. He should be starting because neither Fleck nor Norwood are doing anywhere near enough to justify being automatic selections.
Norwood, so dictatorial in many a game this season, is in need of a rest.

IMHO.

UTB

Exactly.

I found myself physically nodding to all that as I read it mate.
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mr Crab yesterday and his simple statement of something like "I can see why teams move him on" spoke volumes.

I said he'd never be the same again.

He came on gave three cheap free kicks away within ten minutes of coming on he was way off the pace. Great for them to launch balls into the box then invited pressure on us by playing team mates into trouble by playing backwards and sideways constantly which Wilder lamented in his post match interview. Strange sub for me if Wilder has no intention of going him a new contract he thinks he's not good enough so why we are playing him. Coutts post injury unfortunately offers nothing different coming off the bench. He's not at fault for us losing but him coming on didn't help us. Lundstram whatever people think of him as a footballer never backs out of challenges and puts a shift in. Knill really rates him which is why he's still here on a decent contract. If we are going to try to shut up shop he's the answer not Coutts.

He can’t run FFS!

Lunny would be a better bet.

Coutts is finished, no amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

That's the issue. Technically sure he is still fine but he can't get about the pitch. He has zero mobility. Add Norwood alongside him and it was like defending with two cones 2nd half and one of main reasons they attacked at will as noone put any pressure on the ball.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mr Crab yesterday and his simple statement of something like "I can see why teams move him on" spoke volumes.

Pleasure was all mine sir.

When we first got him I thought we'd got a bargain, in todays transfer climate at a price that was too good to be true. Turns out that might be indeed the case.

Don't get me wrong, a very good player when the game is being played a certain way that suits him, I just think that teams are working him out and he doesn't have a Plan B. Press him, and you kill the best parts of his game.

Not entirely in our hands now, but with The Blades it was ever thus.

Finally and most importantly, a big thanks to GreasyChipBeattie for the company yesterday. I'm really struggling (have been for a while) and it was nice to have a bit of relief from that and have a drink and a natter. Thank you

But everyone said he’d come back just as good...

It amazed me that so many people point to his previous injury as proof that he would come back the same. He did it once he can do it again!

Whereas obviously serious injuries have a cumulative affect on a person. You don't just 'learn' how to recover from a serious injury like it's a skill you acquire. Two serious injuries equal one drastically reduced player.

Yeah I said the same. Once they just grab past him 2nd half and he looked stuck in mud. Norwood and Fleck have been major disappointments last 3 or 4 - we have zero competition in this area though. They play no matter what. They know that.

I said he'd never be the same again.

I feared it, but hoped I'd be wrong. Horrendous tackle, horrendous injury. 10-15 years ago it would have been an instant career ender. Modern science and medicine has really come on, but there's still the psychological scars.

I said pretty much the same thing as me and Mrs Grappler were walking away (gutted) after the game, when you are in the trenches in the last few minutes against a side that were staring at dropping into the bottom three, had they lost, you need tough players on the pitch. We had lost Bash and Billy, two tough characters, and then Egan off. We had two options; throw someone fast on (we only have one, Hogan) and lump the ball up and hope he can hold on to it, or throw some strength on (Stearman?) and shore up the defence.

Not blaming the result on Coutts, but as others have said, Lunny would have been a far better call, a tough nut who would have slowed them down in the middle of the pitch.

I said pretty much the same thing as me and Mrs Grappler were walking away (gutted) after the game, when you are in the trenches in the last few minutes against a side that were staring at dropping into the bottom three, had they lost, you need tough players on the pitch. We had lost Bash and Billy, two tough characters, and then Egan off. We had two options; throw someone fast on (we only have one, Hogan) and lump the ball up and hope he can hold on to it, or throw some strength on (Stearman?) and shore up the defence.

Not blaming the result on Coutts, but as others have said, Lunny would have been a far better call, a tough nut who would have slowed them down in the middle of the pitch.
Reasonable point.

But just remember that when the tackles are flying in, the brutes are being dominant aerially, and the physical battles are won and/or lost, SOMEONE has got to get the ball down and play football ;).

Have they not ??:).

UTB

He can’t run FFS!

Lunny would be a better bet.

Coutts is finished, no amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

That's the issue. Technically sure he is still fine but he can't get about the pitch. He has zero mobility. Add Norwood alongside him and it was like defending with two cones 2nd half and one of main reasons they attacked at will as noone put any pressure on the ball.

I'm not sure what we lose by having a midfielder in there who "can't run".

Norwood has many attributes in terms of his passing and set-piece delivery when he is in song, but at the moment he is patently not on song. And even when on song, he cannot tackle, moves as if in quick-sand (the second ball that he failed to get to in the build-up to the equaliser yesterday, was 70/30 in his favour but he didn't get there) and his passing becomes a liability.

So, even if Coutts 'can't run', I'd gave him in there as I have no doubt that he has a better football brain. He would not be making the countless loose passes to defenders that have peppered our last 4 or 5 games. Norwood could do with a break - he has played pretty much every game after all.

Reasonable point.

But just remember that when the tackles are flying in, the brutes are being dominant aerially, and the physical battles are won and/or lost, SOMEONE has got to get the ball down and play football ;).

Have they not ??:).

UTB

They do mate, but we didn't do it yesterday did we?, we constantly lost the ball and they threw everything at us, they had players that made Madine (6ft 4) look small.

They do mate, but we didn't do it yesterday did we?, we constantly lost the ball and they threw everything at us, they had players that made Madine (6ft 4) look small.
Which additionally begs the question why lump it to our big lad when he is unlikely to get much change ?

Which has been the case all too frequently from where I am sat !!!

UTB

I feared it, but hoped I'd be wrong. Horrendous tackle, horrendous injury. 10-15 years ago it would have been an instant career ender. Modern science and medicine has really come on, but there's still the psychological scars.
And, his lack of game time won't help at all, his confidence must be shot.

The only way Coutts will improve is with a run of games in the team Alas I fear that will only happen if Norwood gets injured. We have two ways of playing. The Coutts way or the Norwood way and never the twain shall meet. I always used to poo poo the Gerrard/Lampard debate about them playing in the same team. “Professionals should be able to accommodate each other” But with our 2 play makers I definitely think the can’t be in the same 11.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Perhaps the point was made a little too subtly.

Spelling it out a touch more, what I'm saying is that we already have at least 1, arguably 2, midfielders who are fixtures in the side, who seemingly don't have a run in them. Bringing Coutts in for one of those, even if we accept for a moment the dubious contention that he 'can't run', would not in any way diminish the energy and ability to run beyond an opponent, that we have in our present midfield.

He just looked like a player that hasn't played a lot of football. But, I do kinda agree regarding Lundstram.

The £3 Programme man is faster up the Kop steps than Lundstram is over 10 yards!

Coutts is no more deserving of the whip than the rest of them. In fact a few times after the red card players (including most notably McGoldrick) could have triggered counter attacks to get us up the pitch having received the ball short of half way - Coutts was the only one not to squander possession straight back to Millwall and put us under the cosh. He cooly kept the ball and played the most intelligent pass which led to us taking the ball all the way to the corner flag and getting us out from under our cross bar.

What did us in the end were enforced subs and the 11 left on the pitch not having a scooby do tactically how to see that game out.

Back
Top Bottom