Overnight queuing at the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We used to take it in turns queuing for any tickets. Somebody would do the silly early shift and then feck off home to bed when someone else came down :)

Never done overnight but been there at 6 in morning for semi final tickets,play off final tickets etc. Fortunately I now work for a tv company who have an office based in Sheffield so can get away tickets when I want them. Spurs away & Liverpool away already sorted. Sorry folks. I am a season ticket holder for over 30 years though so hit me with pelters all you want.

Oh aye? Gizza job ;)

(no really, I am looking...)

Like many have said I remember queuing for the Blackburn tickets late at night. Unless I’m mixing the games up I think they were having one of the ends behind their goal done up so we only got a few tickets down one side of the terrace with a big demand for them.

Probably done the day queuing several times over the years with the Liverpool cup one springing to mind the most.

Remember getting there thinking the back of the queue is only just outside the car park. Great, I can cope with that, should only be queuing a couple of hours I thought to myself, until that is I got a bit closer and realised that the damn thing was snaking half a dozen times end to end of the car park and that there was probably at least 2 thousand in front of me

The plan was to sleep over night to get tickets for the Blackburn game, we had been down at the Southampton game that afternoon

We rushed back, got our sleeping bags and sandwiches, back down to the lane only to find out that the tickets had gone on sale that afternoon and where now sold out!

To say we were not best pleased was an understatement

For the final game of the season away at Palace - 2006/7 (maybe?). I got a call from kid sister about 4pm saying they were queuing - I got there about 7pm. By the following morning the queue was almost out of the carpark so not everyone got tickets.

Went to Palace - drew 0-0 - didn't get promoted. :tumbleweed:

First time i ever queued was for the first replay against Barnsley in 1990 i think. Went down with my grandad (must have been half term) and we queued from the old indoor gym / sports hall that was at the top of the car park. Remember it feeling like it took hours.

Went down at 6am for Coventry quarter final tickets only to see 4 people queuing so fucked off for couple of hours until the queue was bigger as didnt want to look like a super keeno!

Semi finals / play off finals i just always used to go to the front of the queue and worked my way back until i saw someone i knew, chatted to them for too long and just stayed in the queue!

In the late 50's and into the 60's we had serious cup runs regularly and regularly filled Bramall Lane with the capacy 57000 crowds.

Burnley, Norwich, Arsenal, SWFC ( just shy of 60000); then there were the 3 Semi-finals v Leicester.

Never queued overnight but my parents set the alarm around 6am and queuing for major matches seemed a regular event on Sunday mornings.. We queued at designated Kop John Street turnstiles and the queues wrapped all along Shoreham Street. Terrific banter, family queues, flasks, sarnies. I've a Sheffield Star photograph somewhere and will try to reproduce it on here. We used to get fully kitted out in match gear - scarves, bobble hats and rattles!!!

No yobs, no bad language, no hassle or rage. Sense of 'club', even 'family'.
Yes I remember those times like you said it seemed a regular thing I was only a kid but loved getting woke up early to go to lane atmosphere was brilliant.

I did it once, queuing over an hour one night, before I had a digital watch.
Turned out it was 2am Saturday, not 2pm Saturday. What a great invention digital watches and phones are, saves so many people from understandable mistakes like that,

The plan was to sleep over night to get tickets for the Blackburn game, we had been down at the Southampton game that afternoon

We rushed back, got our sleeping bags and sandwiches, back down to the lane only to find out that the tickets had gone on sale that afternoon and where now sold out!

The tickets didn't actually go on sale that afternoon but I joined the queue at about 6.30pm having made a conscious decision not to go to Southampton.

The stewards were asking how many tickets each person wanted and giving them raffle tickets as someone else has said.

When the raffle tickets ran out they moved the queue into the south stand (probably for our own safety!) and shut the gate.

The tickets actually went on sale in the early hours of the morning. I distinctly remember getting home to Morley at about 7.00am which means that I would have hot the ticket sometime between 5.30 and 6.00

We took loads more to Southampton than we usually took anywhere because people thought going there would get them a Blackburn ticket.

Fortunately I made the right call.

As someone else has also said I distinctly remember standing down the side of the ground at Blackburn.

Have done several other over nighters, usually for Leeds but Blackburn was the stand out one.

I ❤ my loyalty points now.

Last edited:
Multiple times... Have also 'slept' rough on the perimeter of the pitch between the Kop and John Street.

liverpool 2003 got there about 4am and it was awful i was on my own and smoked all my fags till my brother rocked up at 8am with a bacon sandwich and 20 benson

there was another but i cannot for the life remember what game it was for ( may have been arsenal at highbury in the cup mmm Overmars wasnt it)

went in old Lowfield stand with @400 other blades that day .... scary memories!
What a day that was not ! Only time I have been ejected from a ground. Sat in their end and all was going well until I let slip a little “fuck off” when the third went in. After that I was quite glad to get thrown out ! Joyous times.

The tickets had gone on sale near midnight not earlier

Following on from the loyalty point debate, has anyone ever done this before.

I've done it twice. Once for Newcastle in the FA Cup, and once for the Luton game when we had already been promoted to the Premier League under Warnock.

I reckon anyone who has ever done this deserves to be retrospectively awarded an extra 5,000 loyalty points each.

I always buy online and can’t understand why anyone would do different most of the time. However, the play off final v Burnley was an exception.

I bought mine online on first day of sale. But couldn’t get wife and kids tickets till much later. So i went back again and queued up twice! Once to get the kids tickets and a final time to take all 3 back and get 4 together so the wife could sit with us.

For this I think I deserve 4 trillion loyalty points and a statue in the car park.

The tickets had gone on sale near midnight not earlier

We got down to the ground around 9pm to be told by the stewards all the tickets had been sold, the ticket office was also closed.

We had a big argument with the stewards, they said fans had started queuing up in the afternoon and to avoid any trouble the club opened up the ticket office that afternoon, not giving a crap about us that went week in and week out to every game.

We got down to the ground around 9pm to be told by the stewards all the tickets had been sold, the ticket office was also closed.

We had a big argument with the stewards, they said fans had started queuing up in the afternoon and to avoid any trouble the club opened up the ticket office that afternoon, not giving a crap about us that went week in and week out to every game.
I arrived at the car park at 7.30pm and was given three raffle tickets by stewards to get three tickets for my dad, a friend (both were at Southampton that day) and for myself to get three tickets for when the ticket office opened (supposed to be opened at 9am in the next day but the office opened nearer midnight). The reason why my dad and my friend went to Southampton was because we felt that they might be given vouchers to give them priority for the Blackburn tickets but that didnt happen. Had it happened, my dad would have insisted that myself and my friend would get the Blackburn tickets. At 6pm my mum had heard from the radio that fans were already queuing for the tickets at the ground so I put on two trousers, three socks, two tops and three jumpers plus a winter coat and caught the bus to the ground with three season tickets (myself, my dad's and my friend's). Our tactics worked. The ticket office was never open that afternoon.

Me and a pal did for Wednesday away tickets when we had the upper tier lower tier and that shitty corner thing

Christ that was the point I thought we had thrown the lot away. Awful weather, open to the elements. Awful performance and an awful result.

I was 40 in the following June. My birthday cake, kindly provided by Mrs BoSS (Leeds fan) and her mate (another Leeds fan) who worked for a then major bakery, Ainsleys, was covered in green icing with white touchlines, a Subbuteo goal, a Subbuteo Leeds player, a Subbuteo Blades player and a Subbuteo football.

The inscription read, "Oh No! 4 - 0"

Twats! ;)

I arrived at the car park at 7.30pm and was given three raffle tickets by stewards to get three tickets for my dad, a friend (both were at Southampton that day) and for myself to get three tickets for when the ticket office opened (supposed to be opened at 9am in the next day but the office opened nearer midnight). The reason why my dad and my friend went to Southampton was because we felt that they might be given vouchers to give them priority for the Blackburn tickets but that didnt happen. Had it happened, my dad would have insisted that myself and my friend would get the Blackburn tickets. At 6pm my mum had heard from the radio that fans were already queuing for the tickets at the ground so I put on two trousers, three socks, two tops and three jumpers plus a winter coat and caught the bus to the ground with three season tickets (myself, my dad's and my friend's). Our tactics worked. The ticket office was never open that afternoon.

Good planning and well done :)

Just one question - three socks?

Where did you wear the third one on that very cold night? ;)

Hi Silent, it looks like what we were told by the stewards was a complete pack of lies, not sure why they would say what they did

Rushing to get back from Southampton, then getting down to the lane prepared to sleep out all night was a complete waste of time

The only saving grace was we got back the Red Lion at Townend in time for last orders

Once did it overnight with a load of mates for the game against Burnley even though I’d already got a ticket, I was working at 8am and went to sleep in my mates car at 5am they took great pleasure in waking me up at 7am telling me it was 9am and seeing me panic !

Time playing tricks on a few of our memories here. I’m pretty sure them Blackburn tickets went on sale close to midnight rather than earlier in the day as some have mentioned. Could be wrong though

Done it a couple of times. Longest I spent queuing was about 13 hours for the Liverpool away game in the league cup semi final. The tickets went on sale on the Saturday and I joined the queue at about 8pm on the Friday night.

Been done but can't remember which games, it's alus been o'r lasses job.

Back
Top Bottom