One of my proudest moments as a Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
We had fought back to make it 4-3 in the 90th minute against Hull in the FA Cup Semi-Final, then threw everyone forward in a desperate search for a winner deep into injury time. They nicked the ball back and went up the other end and finished us off on the counter attack to win the game. As our players returned to the centre circle our fans spontaneously applauded the team for their efforts, it was really touching.

This is a well known story, and the context of next week's game reminded me of this. If we fall short, I would like to see the same happen again despite the frustrations. I don't think anyone can really complain at the players or management for how this season has gone, almost everyone has played out of their skin (with the exception of Wilson and Carruthers possibly). The frustrations are down to our inabilities to capitalize on our good start due to boardroom conflicts.

We have punched above our weight this season, we have so much to be proud of. Of course I want a club our size back in the PL as much as anyone and don't want midtable mediocrity for much longer.

For the time being however should we fall short it would be lovely to give our players a standing ovation no-matter what even if we lose the next three games. We're lucky we have something to play for, and I even believe we can still do it.

UTB

Great post.

I will accept a loss if it's down to a difference in quality as long as the players make every effort to win.

Cheers, that's the thing with me, I will never ever boo/berate a player if they perform badly if they are trying their best. If it happens regularly its the management's fault that they are on the pitch. On the other hand those who put in a half-arsed effort will get an absolute earful.

We haven't had such strong affinity with a set of players for years.

Cheers, that's the thing with me, I will never ever boo/berate a player if they perform badly if they are trying their best. If it happens regularly its the management's fault that they are on the pitch. On the other hand those who put in a half-arsed effort will get an absolute earful.

We haven't had such strong affinity with a set of players for years.

Exactly, players like Jose Baxter had obvious talent but lacked motivation and passion. Compare him to Basham; who may be matched/beaten in terms of quality but never in terms of attitude.

They'll get an ovation from me next week and at the seasons end regardless.

What they won't get from me is an "Ooh haven't we done well though?" cop out, as if it excuses every shortcoming. We aren't "little plucky Sheffield United" just here to make up the numbers and who should just be glad to be in the division, we are a professional football club of significant enough stature to be competing for tangible success, and it's time that many supporters realised that.

Yes, I myself have been immensely proud of our past efforts against the odds, but I'd rather not continue to "fail heroically".

I was at that Hull game but I honestly don't remember this ovation people keep mentioning. I think it was because I was trying to stop my Dad flouncing off.

You cannot plan ahead for things like that.

As you say it was spontaneous. They scored, I immediately stood to applaud the players efforts. I didn't inspire others to stand just as others didn't inspire me. It just happened and we all reacted at the same time.

If it's repeated next week then it won't have the same effect. A one-off and as you say one of the proudest moments of our Blade lifetime.

You cannot plan ahead for things like that.

As you say it was spontaneous. They scored, I immediately stood to applaud the players efforts. I didn't inspire others to stand just as others didn't inspire me. It just happened and we all reacted at the same time.

If it's repeated next week then it won't have the same effect. A one-off and as you say one of the proudest moments of our Blade lifetime.

I agree. I hope it doesn't become a "thing that we do". (The frequency that we just miss out, we'll all wear our hands out.)

I love telling people the story of Hull’s fifth goal and the reaction from our end. Such a strange thing, I still can’t quite get my head around thousands of people reacting spontaneously in the same manner.

And while we’re on the topic, what a fantastic entertaining game of football. Two sides going at it to win, played in the right spirit, lots of chances and goals, lead swinging back and forth, and the noise! Just like the Spurs game the following year we were beaten by the extra bit of experience and quality in the opposition, but we gave it our absolute best and couldn’t have given any more. Great memories.

I love telling people the story of Hull’s fifth goal and the reaction from our end. Such a strange thing, I still can’t quite get my head around thousands of people reacting spontaneously in the same manner.

It does show that sometimes we fans are as one. It wasn't one person standing to applaud and then others joining in, it just happened, as you say simultaneously. Magic moment.

Got a few
Beating arsenal in the prem
Last season
Hull at Wembley
The 02/03 season (my first season)
The bouncing day massacre

The annoying thing is this:
We have easily proved our worth as a top 6 team, with only Wolves and Fulham who have done us comfortably, yes we've been beaten by other teams but when we've turned up (all teams have occasional off days Wolves at home to us and Fulham until they met us!) But we would have a chance against any of the other play off sides (assuming Fulham go up automatically). We've had poor decisions and bad luck and putting that aside we should still comfortably have made the top 6 and it wasn't getting beaten when we were poor it's not getting the points when we were easily superior in games that has been the downfall.

I remember the reaction against Hull and at the end of the match, I remember saying that this would be the start of something; good manager, good players, good spirit, etc. Even to this day I feel disappointed, confused, upset, etc. with the way the club unravelled under Clough's management. I'm not trying to change the subject but despite the defeat, another Wembley reverse, there was genuine optimism that sunny April afternoon. If there is a moral, take nothing for granted and let's enjoy the here and now; it won't last forever.

Towards the end of the Hull game (it could have been 3-4?), United's Harry Maguire burst into the Hull penalty box but delayed getting his shot away and the chance was gone.

Always knew he was crap. :D

They'll get an ovation from me next week and at the seasons end regardless.

What they won't get from me is an "Ooh haven't we done well though?" cop out, as if it excuses every shortcoming. We aren't "little plucky Sheffield United" just here to make up the numbers and who should just be glad to be in the division, we are a professional football club of significant enough stature to be competing for tangible success, and it's time that many supporters realised that.

Yes, I myself have been immensely proud of our past efforts against the odds, but I'd rather not continue to "fail heroically".

I agree with you. We should realise who we are and the status we should/could have in the game.

I'm surprised we never made this book :D It's a very funny book, actually.

The book of heroic failures.jpg

When the Blade fan ran over and nicked West Brom’s flag from right under their fans noses and ran back to the South Stand with it held high. Felt so proud for the lad and I had a tear in my eye.

By far the best atmosphere I've witnessed from us Blades at a neutral venue. Everything about that day bar the result was special.

And while we’re on the topic, what a fantastic entertaining game of football. Two sides going at it to win, played in the right spirit, lots of chances and goals, lead swinging back and forth, and the noise! Just like the Spurs game the following year we were beaten by the extra bit of experience and quality in the opposition, but we gave it our absolute best and couldn’t have given any more. Great memories.
Been watching half a decade and no finer moment than that. And why?

Because it spoke volumes about the fine people of Sheffield, all of us. We don’t ask a lot, we don’t expect much. We are worn down at times by failure. But we always find time to appreciate effort, even if it doesn’t bring reward. We couldn’t have been more proud if we’d won 10-0. That moment was all about the Sheffield spirit. Never say die.

By far the best atmosphere I've witnessed from us Blades at a neutral venue. Everything about that day bar the result was special.

Game wise, I thought Old Trafford v. Arsenal was a good atmosphere. Pre-game, in Cardiff v. Wolves takes some beating. It quickly turned to shit when the game started, mind.

I know it sounds like im ranting sometimes. But i only want what the players have deserved. Just look at last 2 weeks could easily be p5 w5 or p5 w4 d1. Instead we are p5 w1 d3 l1 because of tiny errors. ive said before that utd have met & exceeded all my expectations this season. What wilder has done in this league is nothing short of a miracle. That day at Hillsborough. Rarely had so much joy that was Northampton & mk dons x 10. I hope everyone stays behind for lap of honour either 28th april or 11th/12th may

Along with the already explained hull game which was amazing to be apart of. I like to throw in Barnsley 2011. We got relegated from the championship but not for want of trying think we were 2-0 up but drew 2-2 & i remember like hull, at full time A spontaneous round of applause broke out & gary sinclair gave some sort of touching message over tannoy. It nearly brought a tear to my eye. Although Dont what that says about us. 2 of my proudest moments were after defeats in huge games :D

I know it sounds like im ranting sometimes. But i only want what the players have deserved. Just look at last 2 weeks could easily be p5 w5 or p5 w4 d1. Instead we are p5 w1 d3 l1 because of tiny errors. ive said before that utd have met & exceeded all my expectations this season. What wilder has done in this league is nothing short of a miracle. That day at Hillsborough. Rarely had so much joy that was Northampton & mk dons x 10. I hope everyone stays behind for lap of honour either 28th april or 11th/12th may

Along with the already explained hull game which was amazing to be apart of. I like to throw in Barnsley 2011. We got relegated from the championship but not for want of trying think we were 2-0 up but drew 2-2 & i remember like hull, at full time A spontaneous round of applause broke out & gary sinclair gave some sort of touching message over tannoy. It nearly brought a tear to my eye. Although Dont what that says about us. 2 of my proudest moments were after defeats in huge games :D

It says that the lasting joy of being a Blade is feeling part of a big red & white family in Sheffield , the world's biggest village.
Where comradeship is everything , whether you've ever met the other supporter or not.
Where you've held fast to the sporting principles of our Victorian founders of the beautiful game.
In the truly historical & iconic Bramall Lane , which we could never leave.
A ground where cricket and its once revered standards of fair play must have influenced the footy.
Where winning and filthy lucre play second fiddle to good grace , humour , and a sound knowledge of sport.
Where playing fairly and to the best of your ability is highly appreciated by a fanbase rendered philosophical by the years of bad luck , injustice & underachievement.
But who are nonetheless as proud of their club as any fan could be.

I know it sounds like im ranting sometimes. But i only want what the players have deserved. Just look at last 2 weeks could easily be p5 w5 or p5 w4 d1. Instead we are p5 w1 d3 l1 because of tiny errors.
Can I just point out that we've got precisely what we deserved. As you say, all because of errors. That's how it works. Otherwise nice post.

As fans, all we expect is effort and commitment...if a player shows both, they’ll more than likely be taken to the fans’ hearts regardless of ability.
I’m sure most fans feel this way, but we really are a special club. It’s no accident that so many former players hold United in such high esteem, many still feeling like part of the Blades family and a great number choosing to lay their roots and settle in the region.
I doubt fans and players of many other clubs have shared the same mutual affinity we have over the years (particularly the current squad and that from 02/03).
Unfortunately there have been more heroic failures than triumphs over the years, but if you’re not willing to appreciate and enjoy these moments, why the hell are you along for the ride? Also, how much sweeter are the seasons such as last year, when all the pieces fall into place!?
Beats being an Arsenal fan and moaning about missing out on the Champs League for the first time in two decades.
I wouldn’t swap this club for any other - it’s in my heart, not my head.

Back
Top Bottom