Memries of Reading

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
upload_2017-10-17_13-19-46.png

Can't say I've been looking forward to this - I've never been to Elm Park or the Madejski, but it's actually quite interesting...

Despite being founded in 1871, The Royals did not join the Football League until 1920. They played at Elm Park for 102 years – from 1896 until 1998 when, as a result of The Taylor Report, they moved to the new, purpose-built Madejski Stadium.

Despite the long histories of both clubs, our first meeting only came on 13th October, 1979 when a Third Division fixture at Bramall Lane saw the Blades win 2-0. Since then, we have met a total of 36 times in the League, twice in the FA Cup and once in the League Cup.

In recent times, we’ve had some Titanic clashes with Reading, starting with the 2002-03 ‘Triple Assault’ season under Neil Warnock. From losing at home to The Royals on the 18th February, 2003…

…they had the ‘Indian Sign’ over us. This bleak period for the Blades lasted until 15th November 2008. In this time, we played Reading eleven times (ten in the League and once in the League Cup) without the Blades winning once (nine defeats, two draws). Here are the goals from that 0-2 home defeat on 15th November 2008:

A large part of the reason for this was that Reading had some very good players around this time, including Marcus Hahnemann in goal, James Harper, Nickey Shorey, Luke Chadwick, Steve Sidwell, Nickey Forster, Stephen Hunt, Kevin Doyle, Dave Kitson and Leroy Lita. True, the Blades had some very good players as well, but Reading always seemed to have that bit of extra quality.

In the 2005-06 season Reading were champions of The Championship and The Blades joined them in getting promoted to The Premier League by finishing in second place, although 16 points behind as Reading gained a total of 106 points - the record for the number of points gained in a professional league season. Here’s the action from our 1-2 defeat at Reading on 1st October 2005 after ‘our best start ever’ – our scorer? Steve Kabba:

Later that season (on 14th February 2006) it was ‘first v. second’ in front of over 25k on a Tuesday evening at Bramall Lane.

In the 2006-07 season, this was Reading’s first-ever season in the top flight and they finished a creditable eighth, while the Blades were relegated.

Of note in this season was the fixture at Reading on 20th January 2007. The Blades lost 1-3 with our goal coming from Christian Nade, but a touchline clash between manager Neil Warnock and Reading coach and ex-Blade Wally Downes led to both men being sent to the stands.

Reading also hold the record for the number of successive league wins at the start of a season, with a total of 13 wins at the start of the 1985–86 Third Division campaign.

The last time we met was in the FA Cup on 26th January 2013 at Reading when the Blades lost 4-0.

The last time we met in the League was in the League was April 25th 2011. The Blades were on the brink of relegation to the third tier but surprisingly won away 3-2 after being two goals behind: (see next post - only five bits of media allowed)

In the 2012-13 season, Reading were again in the Premier League but only lasted one season.

That’s it. We’ve met Reading a total of 36 times in the League, twice in the FA Cup and once in the League Cup.

League:

Home: P:18 W:7 D:6 L: 5 F:28 A:18

Away: P:18 W:7 D:1 L:10 F:21 A:22

Next up? Memries of L***s. PM with owt you think should be included. The ones that stand out for me are the Bank Holiday 0-4 at Helland Road and the 2-1 League Cup game in 2002.

Next up? Memries of L***s. PM with owt you think should be included. The ones that stand out for me are the Bank Holiday 0-4 at Helland Road and the 2-1 League Cup game in 2002.

FAC in 2003 with the free kick routine.

The goal that was about 800 yards offside in 84/85 or 85/86 (Phillis?)

Think reading away was the first match in the 3rd division under basset.
Hammered em and ‘only’ won 3-1 (had to google scoreline) I was one of the 5,512 total attendance can I have more loyalty point please?

I have always had an irrational dislike of reading.
Not sure whether it’s the blue and white, the weird looking cilla black loving chairman or what, but I can’t stand them.

Edit:
coolhandluke beat me to it!

Couple of memories:

- "There's been a goal at Elland Road, which way has it gone......." Cut to Elland Road Reading have scored Blades are promoted!
- Elm Park lost 1 nil, 1st ever away game 2 coach crashes on the way back, only for the team bus to pick me and my mate up as well as all the other kids. (adults had to wait for another coach). Brian Gayle rang my mates mum to explain what had happened only for her to hang up on him thinking it was us 2 taking the mick. It just wouldn't happen in this day and age, shame there were no camera phones back then. Still recall the pile of cash on the table in the game of poker. Got to say all the players were sound and chatted with us.
- Nothing much more comes to mind very much a nothing club to me. As small sums it Bland

Couple of memories:

- "There's been a goal at Elland Road, which way has it gone......." Cut to Elland Road Reading have scored Blades are promoted!
- Elm Park lost 1 nil, 1st ever away game 2 coach crashes on the way back, only for the team bus to pick me and my mate up as well as all the other kids. (adults had to wait for another coach). Brian Gayle rang my mates mum to explain what had happened only for her to hang up on him thinking it was us 2 taking the mick. It just wouldn't happen in this day and age, shame there were no camera phones back then. Still recall the pile of cash on the table in the game of poker. Got to say all the players were sound and chatted with us.
- Nothing much more comes to mind very much a nothing club to me. As small sums it Bland
What year was that with Gayle?
The most blatant penalty not awarded in the history of the universe. Keef 2005/6 at the mad stad?
Two wrongs don't make a right; the referee knew he should have sent Kenny off earlier, so 'evened' it up.

About 20 years ago I'd started a new job and was on Oxford street, suited and booted, for a meeting.
Finished earlier than I thought it would so headed, ticketless, to Reading as we were playing there.
Arrived in town and had no clue where the ground was, fuck knows how I came across it, but got there with about 5 minutes to spare. Realised on arriving I had exactly £10 and 5p on me. Turned out to be £10 to get in!
Won 1-0 with Mark Patterson scoring (did he score any more for us, I don't think he did). Arrived home at about 1pm starving beyond belief!

PS, I can only presume all those using the "plastic fans" nonsense never went to the fun palace that was Elm Park!

In the last days of DB in 1995, I saw a 0-0 at the Lane v Reading; arguably the lowest point of my United supporting lifetime at that stage, it was just so awful and so removed from the halcyon days of Deane and Agana. Couldn't be sure without checking but the crowd was under 10k and the kop was a truly depressing place that winter's afternoon. Somehow, the opposition reflected the occasion or vice versa - drab.

I was away at Elm Park behind the goal the season we went down from div 2, think it was early 90’s.
They had a young Shaka Hislop in goal who played a blinder and was man of the match.

Also remember them at home a few years ago.
They were brilliant that day with their Irish winger Kevin Doyle running riot.
Ironic that the next team to impress me so much also played in the blue and white hoops,
QPR with Adel Tarabt looking like a real superstar.

Last edited:
3-1 win away at the old Elm Park ground of theirs. The ground was an absolute shit hole but a good day on the lash and the Debut of Brian Deane more than made up for it .
If I remember rightly it was a beautiful sunny day, we scored our goals earlyish and it was a reet good day.

About 20 years ago I'd started a new job and was on Oxford street, suited and booted, for a meeting.
Finished earlier than I thought it would so headed, ticketless, to Reading as we were playing there.
Arrived in town and had no clue where the ground was, fuck knows how I came across it, but got there with about 5 minutes to spare. Realised on arriving I had exactly £10 and 5p on me. Turned out to be £10 to get in!
Won 1-0 with Mark Patterson scoring (did he score any more for us, I don't think he did). Arrived home at about 1pm starving beyond belief!

PS, I can only presume all those using the "plastic fans" nonsense never went to the fun palace that was Elm Park!

Patterson got a fair number for us.

I was there that night: it was our last away win for 51 weeks. The next one was in the downpour at Oxford the following October.

I hate playing Reading. Always seem to get turned over. But just checked and we have 4 wins and a draw from the last 6 games against them. Since the turn of the century, we have only beaten them 5 times in 18 attempts.

upload_2017-10-17_14-46-25.png

late 80s Reading home games:

1986-7: 3-0 up after an hour. A super free kick from Dempsey and a diving header from Beagrie amongst the goals. 5 minutes later it was 3-3....a horror show

1987-8: Peter Withe returned from loan at Birmingham (when he'd scored at the Lane against us) and scored twice, including a beautiful header from a free kick, as we romped home 4-1 in front of less than 7,000.

1988-9: United's centenary game. Deano scores the only goal on a wet day.

Won 1-0 with Mark Patterson scoring (did he score any more for us, I don't think he did).

Scored in his first two games for us. A stunning chest and volley in the 2-2 draw at Stoke and a quick thinking header in the 1-1 draw at home to Birmingham. Both in Dec 1995

Stood on the open away end and watching Jeff King shoot into the top corner of our net from about 20 yards. It was a mid week game, maybe 82 or 83? Silent Blade ?
Anyone else there?

Cracking 2-0 win at the Madjeski in the triple assault season. Windybum and Harley scored I think. We played really well that day.

Getting sunburnt to a crisp on the open away end at Elm park in a 1-0 loss, first game of the season in Kendall's full season with us. August 96.

Having lived in reading at various points I had a fondness for Elm park. Was a proper little ground. Housing estate now...

late 80s Reading home games:

1986-7: 3-0 up after an hour. A super free kick from Dempsey and a diving header from Beagrie amongst the goals. 5 minutes later it was 3-3....a horror show

1987-8: Peter Withe returned from loan at Birmingham (when he'd scored at the Lane against us) and scored twice, including a beautiful header from a free kick, as we romped home 4-1 in front of less than 7,000.

1988-9: United's centenary game. Deano scores the only goal on a wet day.
Withe was booed by the United fans against Reading and then, as you say, scored twice. He was interviewed on Radio Sheffield after the game and said he couldn't really blame the United fans for booing him following the Birmingham game.

Back
Top Bottom