'Memries' Memries of L***s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
upload_2017-10-24_2-48-5.png

I’ll say it straight away – I hate Leeds. As a Blade fan first and a football-lover second, Leeds United have left an indelible stain of the game we all love.

Starting in the 60s under Don Revie (Leeds manager from 1961 to 1974), Leeds often bent the rules to (and beyond) breaking point. Often indulged by referees and officialdom, thugs such as Bremner, Giles, Hunter etc. inflicted savagery on opposition players. I once saw Allan Clarke boot the ball into the back row of the John Street stand with no Blades player nearby. Naturally, he put his arm up appealing for the throw-in! Cheating is in Leeds’ DNA.

In Revie’s time, Leeds were employing every psychological trick in the book to gain the upper hand. In Hunter Davies’ superb book The Glory Game, he described how an FA Cup Quarter Final match on 18th March 1972 between Leeds and Spurs witnessed some remarkable scenes. Leeds entered the pitch in matching track suits with the names of the wearers on the back, they had (poncy) little blue tabs on their sock tie-ups with the players’ numbers on them and they performed carefully-choreographed warm-up routines. The effect? Most of the 43,937 crowd were whipped into a frenzy and Leeds won the game 2-1.

The 1974 Charity Shield (a generally good-natured pre-season game played at Wembley between the FA Cup winners and the Champions) was despoiled by Leeds and an unseemly brawl between Bremner and Kevin Keegan resulted in both players being sent off.

Brian Clough’s brief stint (44 days) was summed up in this clip from The Damned United:

What has made it worse is that United have consistently sold our best players to Leeds – Tony Currie, Keith Edwards, Gary Hamson, Alex Sabella, Brian Deane, even Paul Beesley.

My first visit to Leeds was on 6th April, 1968. The week previously, we’d met there in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup and lost 0-1 in front of a crowd of 48,322. Times woz ‘ard and mi dad couldn’t afford both games, so he decided we’d go to the League game in the top-flight. We stood on the large, uncovered terrace behind the left-hand goal as you watch it on TV. Their ‘kop’ was behind the opposite goal, a shitty little corrugated iron dump call the ‘Scratching Shed’. This time the crowd had dipped to 31,059 and we lost 0-3. At the time we had a couple of useless lumps playing, the Wagstaff brothers – Tony and Barry. My one and only recollection of this miserable game was Tony receiving the ball on the penalty spot in front of us. He turned round (what seemed about three full turns) before nonchalantly blasting the ball over the bar. Just over a month later, we lost at home to Chelsea on the last game of the season and were relegated to the second tier.

On Boxing Day, 1989 we drew at home with Leeds 2-2. This was the season we got ‘back-to-back’ promotions under Dave Bassett – from the third tier to the top tier (sounds familiar?) Leeds and the Blades finished the season on 85 points. We finished in second place, pipped for the champions title on goal difference... The first 4 minutes of this vid. covers it:

On Bank Holiday Monday, April 16, 1990 we met Leeds at Elland Road in a vital promotion clash that could decide who would go up to the top tier. As ever, Leeds bent the rules to ensure that as few Blades fans as possible would be there to support the Blades (as did Wednesday the other week). So just 1200 Blades were there for what would be a toxic atmosphere. I was one of them and hoped enough of ‘the lads’ would be there but, alas, a lot of our fans were dads and kids. I drove up incognito – parking well away from the ground and wearing no signs of my allegiances. What followed would be scenes I’ve rarely seen in English football. First off, a police helicopter was hovering overhead – utterly unknown at the time. Our tiny band was ushered in to a tiny, cramped and fenced-in area in the corner of the ground. On two sides, screaming spitting and snarling Leeds fans added to the atmosphere. A brief drizzle meant that a bag of sugar one of these scum had thrown at us had maximum stickability.

As kick-off approached the mood of the majority in the crowd of 32,697 reached fever-pitch. A huge white, blue and yellow flag was passed over the heads of the Leeds fans (again, something I’d never seen before), one of our players – John Gannon’s – girlfriend was hit by a flying bottle in the Lowfield stand and – as the players warmed up pre-kick off - our goalie Simon Tracy was loosening up by punting the ball downfield. As the balls entered the Leeds half, they refused to return them, meaning we soon had no football to warm up with. As I’ve said, pure scum. The Blades collapsed, lost 0-4 and it seemed our promotion dreams were over. However nineteen days later, we won famously 5-2 at Leicester and the Blades were going up!

More recently, we’ve had a couple of memorable cup games – both at home. A freezing cold night on November 6, 2002 saw us meet Leeds in the Third Round of the Worthington (League) Cup. 0-1 down at HT to an own goal by Steve Yates, the game was heading towards the final whistle. The crowd went wild when a sensational 35-yarder from Phil Jagielka in the 91st minute beat Paul Robinson in the Leeds goal and drew the scores level. ‘My voice has gone and I don’t care!’ said the commentator on Radio Sheffield. But more was to come! In the 94th minute Peter Ndlovu made it 2-1, the Blades had won and went on to beat Sunderland and Crystal Palace before losing a highly-contentious semi-final over two legs to Liverpool.

On 9th March 2003, we beat Leeds at home 1-0 in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup. What a good team we had then – Jags, Tonge, McCall, Pesch and KABAAAA!!! In the next round v. Arsenal in the semi-final, we lost thanks to the referee Graham Poll.

After these two Cup successes, we won two and drew two of the next four meetings, finally succumbing to a 1-0 defeat at Elland Road on 25th September 2010.

A bizarre game on 26th April 1992 saw Leeds win 2-3 at Bramall Lane and cement their place as Division One Champions with some, er, bizarre goals including the winner by the Blades Brian Gayle. Stewards enquiry, anyone?

Finally – and to prove a leopard never changes its spots - on 8th May, 2001 Leeds travelled to Valencia in the Champions League semi-final. So how did the Leeds players mark this historic event? New club suits? Nah. This is Leeds we’re talking about. Almost the entire squad had their heads shaved…

Another meeting with Leeds and worthy of note was on 5th April 2005. This second-tier League game at Elland Road ended 0-4 to Neil Warnock’s Blades.

Other things that stand out were (can’t remember which game) that odious little shit Gordon Strachan scoring against us and sitting on the perimeter advertising boards flexing his ‘muscles’. (Think he was taking the piss out of Vinnie Jones) And a game at Bramall Lane where we were utilising long throws (could have been Vinnie again) so – to try and negate these – Leeds put a man on the line preventing the thrower from following through. That man could have been Bobby Davison…

The last time we met was 19th March, 2011 when we beat Leeds 2-0 in the Championship at home.

‘Recent’ results:

upload_2017-10-24_2-54-22.png

To date, our League results against Leeds read:

Home: P: 35 W: 15 D: 12 L: 8 F: 54 A: 45

Away: P: 35 W: 7 D: 10 L: 18 F: 37 A: 64

I vividly remember beating them 1-0 at Elland Road in the 70’s with a 25 yard cracker by Woody.
Mi’ owd Dad jumped up and shouted GOAL long before the ball had even left Woody’s foot.
He never missed from anywhere within that range..guaranteed excocet.

On 9th March 2003, we beat Leeds at home 1-0 in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup. What a good team we had then – Jags, Tonge, McCall, Pesch and KABAAAA!!! In the next round v. Arsenal in the semi-final, we lost thanks to the referee Graham Poll.

After these two Cup successes, we won two and drew two of the next four meetings, finally succumbing to a 1-0 defeat at Elland Road on 25th September 2010.

A bizarre game on 26th April 1992 saw Leeds win 2-3 at Bramall Lane and cement their place as Division One Champions with some, er, bizarre goals including the winner by the Blades Brian Gayle. Stewards enquiry, anyone?

Finally – and to prove a leopard never changes its spots - on 8th May, 2001 Leeds travelled to Valencia in the Champions League semi-final. So how did the Leeds players mark this historic event? New club suits? Nah. This is Leeds we’re talking about. Almost the entire squad had their heads shaved…

Another meeting with Leeds and worthy of note was on 5th April 2005. This second-tier League game at Elland Road ended 0-4 to Neil Warnock’s Blades.

Other things that stand out were (can’t remember which game) that odious little shit Gordon Strachan scoring against us and sitting on the perimeter advertising boards flexing his ‘muscles’. (Think he was taking the piss out of Vinnie Jones) And a game at Bramall Lane where we were utilising long throws (could have been Vinnie again) so – to try and negate these – Leeds put a man on the line preventing the thrower from following through. That man could have been Bobby Davison…

The last time we met was 19th March, 2011 when we beat Leeds 2-0 in the Championship at home.

‘Recent’ results:

View attachment 32415

To date, our League results against Leeds read:

Home: P: 35 W: 15 D: 12 L: 8 F: 54 A: 45

Away: P: 35 W: 7 D: 10 L: 18 F: 37 A: 64

I share your pain. As for taking our best players, they also took (stole) Mick Jones.
Also, another gimmick, Reeve changed their strip white - because he wanted them to be like Real Madrid

Autumn 1978 L**ds won 4-1 at the Lane in the League Cup and their fans were singing "Thank you very much for Tony Currie" to the tune of the Quality Street ad.

March 85: The police closed off the Bramall Lane corner terracing but the L**ds fans invaded it. A police announcer came on the tannoy and said "Would the Leeds fans please go back under the cantilever stand" Needless to say they ignored him. I was on the Kop but you could see/hear the tension between the L**ds fans and the lads in the West Terrace throughout the game. We won 2-1 thanks to Mel Eves.

Sep 85: Steve Foley sent off in a 1-1 draw at Elland Road

Spring 1988: Hammered 5-0 at Elland Road in our relegation season.

My first game was against Leeds in 1974, we lost!

Favourites were the two cup games under Warnock. I took my Southampton supporting Brother in Law to the first one at one nil he said, there is only 1 team going to win. Bring on Jags! Funnily enough he has been a Blade ever since.

I took a Leeds supporting mate to the FA cup game and I take the piss to this day about him spitting his dummy out big style when I tried to listen to radio Sheffield in the car on the way home. 2 memorable matches.

In the main a vile club with a horrible set of Neanderthal fans. Watching them being run like a comedy club for the past decade has been like joyous karma!

I fucking hate them too. One S24SU forum member's older brother we were at school with decided he was a Leeds fan (they were from a cricketing family originally) and he would regularly, annoyingly bask in their Revie glory in the 1970s. He was one of those kids who really didn't have 'football' in his heart, even though him and his brother and I would play a lot of it and he was a good goalie.

They were always our better, richer Yorkshire counterparts, and cuntbagging programmes like Calendar always had vast tracts of their airtime devoted to blowing sparkly sunshine out of their arses.

Hate them then, hate them now.

pommpey

“Four minutes added time. FOUR minutes!”

Whenever that amount has been added at the end of a game since I always say “that’s enough time for two goals.”

Autumn 1978 L**ds won 4-1 at the Lane in the League Cup and their fans were singing "Thank you very much for Tony Currie" to the tune of the Quality Street ad.

March 85: The police closed off the Bramall Lane corner terracing but the L**ds fans invaded it. A police announcer came on the tannoy and said "Would the Leeds fans please go back under the cantilever stand" Needless to say they ignored him. I was on the Kop but you could see/hear the tension between the L**ds fans and the lads in the West Terrace throughout the game. We won 2-1 thanks to Mel Eves.

Sep 85: Steve Foley sent off in a 1-1 draw at Elland Road

Spring 1988: Hammered 5-0 at Elland Road in our relegation season.

Remember that game in March 1985 for two reasons :-

1. Mel Eves glorious winner in the top corner at the kop end.
2. The Leeds fans ripping the wooden seats out of the Bramall Lane upper tier and throwing them on the pitch at half-time - lovely people.

"coaxingstar71, post: 1491610, member: 15663"]Remember that game in March 1985 for two reons :-

1. Mel Eves glorious winner in the top corner at the kop end.
2. The Leeds fans ripping the wooden seats out of the Bramall Lane upper tier and throwing them on the pitch at half-time - lovely people.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they chuck down an advertising hoarding from the front of the Bramall Lane stand too?

From memory, for the Easter monday 1990 game they only gave us 900 tickets (not 1200) and I was one of the "lucky" ones. Horrible, horrible game and one of the very few where we left early (the 4th went in as we got into the car park outside the ground). Thuggery everywhere and the only time I have ever felt genuinely concerned in and around a ground. Scum!

What has made it worse is that United have consistently sold our best players to Leeds – Tony Currie, Keith Edwards, Gary Hamson, Alex Sabella, Brian Deane, even Paul Beesley.

Hamson?

Had I been old enough, I'd have happily driven that lazy git up the M1 myself.

Good rant otherwise though, but you did miss out a win there in mid 80s with a goal so offside that the linesman didn't even noitice (Phillis? 84, 85 or 86)?

Hamson?

Had I been old enough, I'd have happily driven that lazy git up the M1 myself.

Good rant otherwise though, but you did miss out a win there in mid 80s with a goal so offside that the linesman didn't even noitice (Phillis? 84, 85 or 86)?
Rant? You should hear me when I really rant! :D

Not really that fussed about Leeds.

Certainly don't hate them.

Which means you're either under 45 or not really bothered about football.
As the OP eloquently put, Leeds were the biggest set of cunts this country has ever seen on a football pitch under Revie. They re-defined cheating in their own image. Anyone of a certain age, and it is absolutely country wide, hates them with a passion from then until now. In the same way I feel sorry for myself for not seeing Jimmy Hagan and the younger element for missing TC and Woody, anyone who missed them in their "prime" missed a master class of a very different kind.

As for actual memries, the League Cup win in 1970 was my personal favourite (I'd been to the QF in '68 as mentioned in the OP and was absolutely distraught) and that night we avenged that defeat in some style.
Trickiest moment was when we were sat in the main stand and the Morris/Edwards combo conjured up a goal of such beauty it simply wasn't possible to stay seated. Had to beat a hasty retreat into the bowels of the stand an watch the rest of the game from elsewhere.

Nasty horrible set of fans. That's what I always think of when I think of Leeds.

If there's a depth that hasn't been plumbed yet, they'll find it and plumb it. I heard they were even chanting Jimmy Saville songs not so long ago

I heard they were even chanting Jimmy Saville songs not so long ago

"He's on of our own"

Add it to the charge sheet of riots at Bournemouth, Birmingham, setting alight the disabled stand at Barnsley etc etc etc.

'DirtyLeeds' covers the club and fans. They deserve each other,

"He's on of our own"

Add it to the charge sheet of riots at Bournemouth, Birmingham, setting alight the disabled stand at Barnsley etc etc etc.

The nadir surely came with the setting alight of a food kiosk at Odsall in a match versus Bradford. Odious behaviour under any circumstances, but to do this in a match v Bradford City in the aftermath of the Valley Parade fire which killed 56 people in the most horrific way imaginable, injured hundreds of others, and ripped the club and community apart, is just about as low as it is possible to go.

Leeds fans remind me of the sad old bloke sat in the pub, knocking on a bit, wearing cheap clothes that he still thinks are in fashion, with arms covered in faded blue ink. Used to be a bit of brawler and respected for the power of his fists a few years ago, and still thinks he is someone but has been nobody for the last few years. Desperate to noticed, desperate to be feared and respected, but is now a sad nonentity.

"He's on of our own"

Didn’t the pigs taunt them for the Savile songs? Same match where Kirkland got smacked IIRC.

I'm going on Friday. My first game against L**ds was the 2-2 Boxing Day game. I'd never seen so many away fans and certainly not the boisterous nature of both sets of fans. Wilkinson really did set up a nasty set of bastards, effective rather than having any panache about them but Leeds had been floundering for a few years and were used to Revie's teams being keen to push the letter of the law and be niggly in the extreme so it was accepted. Our team at the time is often referred to as being agricultural but we were nothing as bad as them in terms of playing percentages, defenders only taking a single touch (to hoof it back whence it came), cynical fouls being conceded, long throws etc For some reason they escape any such tags. They did have a hell of a team and the midfield with Speed, Batty, Strachan and McCallister (replacing Vinny) was a cracker.

I've been up there twice. Once just as they were building the cantalever stand and we stood under it's imposing framework in a shitty terrace with idiots on either side, my first experience of this as I'd only been to a couple of away games at that point. I can't remember the score, Kelly was in net and I think Beesley scored for us. Might have been three one. The second visit was a 0-1 loss under Speed. Memorable only for Ward being sent off as soon as he came on. After the play off final sending off my patience was out with him at that point.

Hoping for a more memorable trip thius time.

The 0-4 victory is memorable for me because I heard about it from a Leeds fan in a nightclub in Nairobi. Still never seen the goals.

Back
Top Bottom