McCabe or Abdullah?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
Some on here would think I’m quite old but I didn’t feel it this weekend – maybe today a bit. Wow! What a manager! What a team! What a season!

Instead of just basking in the afterglow of promotion we have the battle for control of ‘our club’ due in court next week.

Having been largely invisible for the past 6 years, Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has suddenly started attending matches at The Lane. Far be it for me to be cynical but could this have anything to do with the scent of Premier League money?

To remind ourselves as to why the two of them ended up in court, McCabe is furious at what he sees as Abdullah’s attempt to have his pants down by trying to side-step his agreement to buy the Blades’ property assets, as well as McCabe’s shares, in the event of a full takeover.

Abdullah’s actions make me really uncomfortable for two reasons:

1. A contract is a contract: if you sign it you honour it (or maybe I’m just being old-fashioned!)

2. If Abdullah has a long-term vision for The Blades, why didn’t he want to buy the property at fair value? Perhaps he couldn’t afford it? Or maybe he just sees the opportunity to make a quick killing?

My even bigger worry is that with Premier League money now in the bag he will relent on the property issue and use this money rather than his own to buy McCabe out. Which, in turn will mean less money to invest in the team.

McCabe is not perfect but he’s steered a steady ship through turbulent waters for a bloody long time. He also appointed Wilder and allows him to get on with the job without interference.

We have a history of dragging defeat from the jaws of victory and I really hope this isn’t the wrong end to an outstanding season.

Well yes to all that but macabe doesn't have a pot to piss in. All tied up in property I think. If he stays in charge I'm sure we will have the lowest budget in the premier league by a mile. Wilder is a miracle worker so far with what he has had but this is serious money we are up against. And some equally serious quality!

Lowest budgets always tend to struggle regardless of the manager.
So we need an owner who gets it, sees what’s been achieved and where we could go if we maintain patience and continue to build.
The owner to do that is Km. he’s shown commitment to the wrong men before so there’s no way he would fail to commit to Wilder and Knill.

What we lack compared to Bournemouth is the huge investment in players of quality while in the championship, so we won’t be compared to them. We are without doubt a Huddersfield.
They lost their bottle with Wagner, and by they I mean owner as well as fans! We need to avoid this at all costs

So, Km for me. We know him, he knows us and he’s still got the best interests of the club at heart and always will.

The right outcome(s) would be:-

A - both bury the hatchet and get behind the manager & team

B - They both sell up McCabe gets some of his ££ back, the Prince gets a profit from his investment and we get a new owner with a fresh vision. (Both win?)

Some on here would think I’m quite old but I didn’t feel it this weekend – maybe today a bit. Wow! What a manager! What a team! What a season!

Instead of just basking in the afterglow of promotion we have the battle for control of ‘our club’ due in court next week.

Having been largely invisible for the past 6 years, Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has suddenly started attending matches at The Lane. Far be it for me to be cynical but could this have anything to do with the scent of Premier League money?

To remind ourselves as to why the two of them ended up in court, McCabe is furious at what he sees as Abdullah’s attempt to have his pants down by trying to side-step his agreement to buy the Blades’ property assets, as well as McCabe’s shares, in the event of a full takeover.

1. A contract is a contract: if you sign it you honour it (or maybe I’m just being old-fashioned!)

2. If Abdullah has a long-term vision for The Blades, why didn’t he want to buy the property at fair value? Perhaps he couldn’t afford it? Or maybe he just sees the opportunity to make a quick killing?

My even bigger worry is that with Premier League money now in the bag he will relent on the property issue and use this money rather than his own to buy McCabe out. Which, in turn will mean less money to invest in the team.

McCabe is not perfect but he’s steered a steady ship through turbulent waters for a bloody long time. He also appointed Wilder and allows him to get on with the job without interference.

We have a history of dragging defeat from the jaws of victory and I really hope this isn’t the wrong end to an outstanding season.

Of course we got a manager
And though he ain't the mafia
A contract is a contract
When they get 'em out on ya

whos that ? amazing track.

All very valid points, the club has made enormous strides since the appointment of CW, the opportunities that membership of the PL provides are numerous and the club needs stability and harmony in order to harvest these opportunities.

Commercially and financially, the PL is an elite club, a global brand and the most viewed football competition on the planet - it therefore goes without saying that Sheffield United now have a golden opportunity to develop the club, its facilities, academy and fan base like never before.

However the ownership has to be resolved and more importantly engage itself with the current manager & fan base.

Don’t blow this chance Blades, we may never get another.

UTB

Garageland by The Clash. Great track .
hqdefault.jpg

Nowt we can do about it so probably doesn't need a 40 page thread.

We don't know the intentions of either to be honest, if Kev wins he could offload us for the good of the club and it might turn into a shit show, if the Prince wins he might pump money in having previously shown support of Wilder too and this golden period might get to be diamond encrusted too, or he could fuck it up completely, piss Wilder off and sell to someone without enough money.

I think Wilder would prefer McCabe, and I'm risk adverse so I would too to be fair, but I'm not going to get pulled into any Prince is evil bullshit because we don't know. He's not from Sheffield and lives in the US doesn't he? So for him to get to a few games is decent commitment.

Whatever happens we have to get behind the people that actually keep the club going, Wilder, his staff, the players.

And who knows maybe getting promoted will lead to a more amicable outcome now their wallets will need to be opened less.

It does, next Tuesday. Probably, like you I'd rather it didn't but this will impact our club long after this season's promotion memory has faded.

It will impact our club, you're right.

Whatever the result though, it won't have been affected by us. No amount of disagreements or poorly educated opinions on this thread will yield any progress in negotiations.

I'm sure the ownership situation will be talked about ad nauseam on this board all summer. Can we try and enjoy promotion until then?

Irrespective of how rick either owner is, surely its what the judge decides that determines what happens with the ownership?

As for the future, let's just assume it'll be McCabe for the purpose of how we'll fair under him financially. McCabe will give Wilder some of the PL cash windfall and that alone will surely allow Wilder a budget he's not been anywhere near before. It might be the smallest in the Prem, but it's not like we need a full team in my view to stay up. If Wilder gets £20-£30m then he will be dangerous! We got Norwood for £1.2m and he is Premier League quality for starters. We may well need to shop abroad for the first time too but Paul Mitchell stated they'd been looking abroad for a while now anyway.

Nowt we can do about it so probably doesn't need a 40 page thread.

We don't know the intentions of either to be honest, if Kev wins he could offload us for the good of the club and it might turn into a shit show, if the Prince wins he might pump money in having previously shown support of Wilder too and this golden period might get to be diamond encrusted too, or he could fuck it up completely, piss Wilder off and sell to someone without enough money.

I think Wilder would prefer McCabe, and I'm risk adverse so I would too to be fair, but I'm not going to get pulled into any Prince is evil bullshit because we don't know. He's not from Sheffield and lives in the US doesn't he? So for him to get to a few games is decent commitment.

Whatever happens we have to get behind the people that actually keep the club going, Wilder, his staff, the players.

And who knows maybe getting promoted will lead to a more amicable outcome now their wallets will need to be opened less.

Fair comments but a couple of things, McCabe has got us back to the PL. A good swan song for him even if he doesn't get all his money back.

Most of the Princes investment was pre Wilder.

Wilder/Winkel is a bigger worry if the Prince takes control. It shouldn't even be on the agenda after what Wilder and his team has
Achieved.

Fair comments but a couple of things, McCabe has got us back to the PL. A good swan song for him even if he doesn't get all his money back.

Most of the Princes investment was pre Wilder.

Without the Prince’s investment we might have fallen out of League 1. We really shouldn’t forget what the situation was when he came in, and whether you agree with the guy or not it’s a joint effort that’s got us to the PL.

Without the Prince’s investment we might have fallen out of League 1. We really shouldn’t forget what the situation was when we came in, and whether you agree with the guy or not it’s a joint effort that’s got us to the PL.
Exactly this, for anyone who thinks that the prince hasn’t contributed enough I’d be interested to see how they explain how we went from cutting year on year and declining to spending relatively big and aiming up again.

Exactly this, for anyone who thinks that the prince hasn’t contributed enough I’d be interested to see how they explain how we went from cutting year on year and declining to spending relatively big and aiming up again.
Especially when you take into account that McCabe said he wouldn’t be putting any more money in to fund the club. The prince has done more than his fair share but Wilder and the lads should take most of the credit.

Without the Prince’s investment we might have fallen out of League 1. We really shouldn’t forget what the situation was when he came in, and whether you agree with the guy or not it’s a joint effort that’s got us to the PL.

From Jasper Johns to John Brayford.
Probably saved us from relegation to L2.
People seem to forget that KMC refused to fund any further losses unless there was a co investor. It wasn't the princes fault that Clough wasted all the £

I have said it before on this Forum there is no contest as to who we need to win the battle for control. KM is a life long supporter and a Blade through and through and I am sure that if he had enough money he would stick with us but he is not that wealthy in footballing terms plus he has been bank rolling the club for a good number of years and understandably has said he wants out. The idea of getting HRH in was so that he would put the money in needed to take us forward but this was not forthcoming and that's why KM exercised the option to buy HRH out or give him the opportunity to buy out KM. HGH used a very dubious ruse to try and circumvent the original shareholders agreement and the "Russian Roulette" clause in it. There are also other issues referred to in the litigation which cast some doubts on his bona fides. HRH has no long term connection with the club. He has hardly ever attended matches and I believe his motives were purely to make a profit. Whilst I have no issue with someone wanting to make a profit, on the evidence of what he has done so far, I do not feel that I would trust him to manage the club in a way that we as supporters would want. I am also concerned about whether CW would be prepared to work for him.
For me it is essential that KM wins the case or that it is settled in a way that involves HRH being paid off or giving up his share.

True. Absolutely true. He's banged in heading towards £17m in. He didn't seem so keen this season though. Which was my point. This led to us selling Brooks to pay the bills with the rest given to Wilder to sign Egan, Norwood etc. Whatever, Wilder HAS to stay without any interference from anyone.

They scrap the court case and sell out together and let the club move forward with serious investment would appear to be the best course of action. But if they can pull together.......

The right outcome(s) would be:-

A - both bury the hatchet and get behind the manager & team

B - They both sell up McCabe gets some of his ££ back, the Prince gets a profit from his investment and we get a new owner with a fresh vision. (Both win?)

Has to be B for the good of the Club so it can move forward, compete at the top level financially and both parties feel like its a win win.

Too much angst and distrust for A to happen. A is only likely if the Judge rules in favour of a status quo. Nightmare scenario for all concerned

Why would Wilder leave if the Prince wins? He knows Wilder is a blade here and i'm sure he has money to invest when he becomes the owner

Back
Top Bottom