Player Suggestion Jack Wilshere

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

OK, I gave you a chance.

Was your point that ‘if’ Wilshere is fit we might just manage to get him on the pitch for at least half a game and in that half a game he’d be able to do more than Lundstram for example?

If so, that may well be true but we’d have given him a contract for more than half a game and therefore we’d be paying him for not even playing. As literally everyone in football knows, he isn’t capable of playing for any sustained period of time.

Not to mention that this plan completely hinges on him being able to rediscover the form that he once (occasionally) showed. This is a big ask considering it’s been that long since he has showed such form that not even yourself can remember it. Not only that, but he was never much of an attacking midfielder anyway so even at his best he would be unlikely to improve us in the goals scored column (an idea that is backed up by supporters of his previous clubs and by his career statistics.

If we’re signing players on the basis that “form is temporary but class is permanent“ and that they’ve made a few appearances for England we may as well give Derby a call to see how much they’d want for Wayne Rooney, at least he’s shown that he’s still capable of playing (and yes, I know we wouldn’t be able to sign him until January).

Apologies if I’ve not made myself clear enough, this writing lark isn’t easy when you’re as think as sludge 🙂

Edit: and I also missed out that if anything we need someone now. Wilshere wouldn’t be anywhere near match fit for about another month, at which time we may as well wait for January and then sign someone else.

Boring.

I would have given Wilshere a trial until January a few weeks back when Fleck first got injured. I'm not sure there's much point now though.

Isn’t it common knowledge that he’s a sick note? He hasn’t just had injuries and troubles, he’s spent most of his career out through injury. When was the last time you saw him demonstrate the class you talk about?

And I’ll ask again, why would West Ham have got rid of him if he was so useful?
Why did Ipswich let McGoldrick go for nothing?

Clubs don't always get it right. Im.not sure he's the answer but doing nothing isn't the answer either. We desperately need some creativity in midfield.

He would have to come on a pay as you play contract so we have no financial risk and he might accept that because as you rightly say hes not over whelmed with options at the minute!

Clubs don't always get it right. Im.not sure he's the answer but doing nothing isn't the answer either. We desperately need some creativity in midfield.

He would have to come on a pay as you play contract so we have no financial risk and he might accept that because as you rightly say hes not over whelmed with options at the minute!
He was one of their top earners, had injury issues, wasn't fully happy doing a big commute to Ipswich every day.

Wilshere has hardly played or done anything good for years. He has zero pace. He wouldn't fit in whatsoever. He'd get injured in training. Plus would have to take a massive paycut.

Why is this still at the top of the rumour mill?!

McGoldrick’s contract ran out. West Ham paid Wilshere to leave. They wouldn’t have done that if they thought he still had something to offer

Literally everything that has been enumerated on the 13 pages and counting of this thread, if you could be arsed to go through and educate yourself.
Its about opinions..you clearly only take account of the ones that agree with yours, there's plenty who think a pay as you play deal is worth the risk.

Or we can continue with duracell bunny Osbourn and see how much he creates when we play the other sides down the bottom.

Its about opinions..you clearly only take account of the ones that agree with yours, there's plenty who think a pay as you play deal is worth the risk.

Or we can continue with rampant rabit Osbourn and see how much he creates when we play the other sides down the bottom.
🐇

Or we can continue with duracell bunny Osbourn and see how much he creates when we play the other sides down the bottom.
No, people who are against it have offered valid reasons for not signing him (ages since he was good, injury prone, West Ham just cancelled his contract, would take time to bed in by which point Fleck would probably be back, etc.) whereas those for it have generally just asked what we’ve got to lose or suggested that an in-prime Wilshere (who, let’s be honest, doesn’t exist any more and if he did would be way outside of our realms of possibility) would bring an extra dimension to our squad.

No, people who are against it have offered valid reasons for not signing him (ages since he was good, injury prone, West Ham just cancelled his contract, would take time to bed in by which point Fleck would probably be back, etc.) whereas those for it have generally just asked what we’ve got to lose or suggested that an in-prime Wilshere (who, let’s be honest, doesn’t exist any more and if he did would be way outside of our realms of possibility) would bring an extra dimension to our squad.

Exactly, the main proponent of this suggestion, FMBlade1 , can’t even offer a reason for why we should do this.

Exactly, the main proponent of this suggestion, FMBlade1 , can’t even offer a reason for why we should do this.

It's turned into a boring slagging match so have stayed clear. I have posted earlier a couple of times on this thread, but in short: We are desperate for creativity and need some change now not in January.

It ain't happening. Firstly, wages. Secondly, he's a cripple. And thirdly, these comments he made recently:

"I think the good thing about when I went to West Ham was that they brought in Pellegrini who tried to make us a team that had the ball. Obviously that didn’t work out for him.

"At Bournemouth they had a manager who wanted to try and play and I had a really good year there.

"When I went to West Ham, I didn’t know it was going to be how it was.

"With my experience now, I’d be silly to go and sign for a team who are in a similar position to West Ham.

"When there is a relegation battle, teams want to nick a point and stay up, nick a goal and try and defend. That’s not the type of player I am."

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

We are currently starting a championship left wing back and a teenage loanee centre half in a midfield 2, and have done for two games in a row.

Pros:

He’s free. He’s probably fit enough to pass a medical. He would be on a pay as you play deal. He’d be playing for a contract next season. He’s left footed. He’d probably come. He’d freshen things up. He’d hopefully make fleck perform better. He’d allow Osborn to cover at lwb, which would make Stevens perform better. He’s 28 (I think).

Cons: we’d have to register him, so Rodwell would have to be moved along. He might get injured. He might be a dick in the dressing room although there’s no evidence of that. Can’t think of any more.

Get him.

Anyone who says signing wilshere until the end of the season is a bad idea in our current position is off there tits

When was the last time you saw him play? He will probably need until the end of the season just to get up to speed, and then we’d be relying him getting back to the level that he’s only shown in glimpses previously anyway.

Why do we need another midfielder who doesn’t get assists or goals?

A player that has only made one (Carabao Cup) appearance this season and only 9 appearances in total in the last 2 seasons, especially one with such extensive injury issues, really isn't the answer to Utd's problems.

He's London based (with a large, young family) and was on over £100k/week at West Ham. Why on earth would he join Utd on a very basic PAYG deal, even if Wilder wanted him - which would show a whole new level of desperation if he was?

A player that has only made one (Carabao Cup) appearance this season and only 9 appearances in total in the last 2 seasons, especially one with such extensive injury issues, really isn't the answer to Utd's problems.

He's London based (with a large, young family) and was on over £100k/week at West Ham. Why on earth would he join Utd on a very basic PAYG deal, even if Wilder wanted him - which would show a whole new level of desperation if he was?

For four months to put himself in the thoughts for another move next season, I'd say he could stomach that and scrub it for a few months on £20,000 a week, even on a pay as you play deal. He's not likely to get a better offer, possibly West Brom. I appreciate he may not be fit, that's why a two week trial could offer a greater insight. I doubt we're interested to be honest anyway.

Absolutely not. As a player class without a doubt but taking even a pay as you play offer, we'd end up taking a spot in the squad and not paying anything bar the first game. He'd play 1 game and be out injured through to the summer. He would be best accepting his body can't cope with the rigours of professional football and try to turn his talent, which is without question, to coaching(if he want to stay in the game).

Jack Wilshere: Bournemouth set to re-sign England midfielder - BBC Sport

This proves that we could have signed him and that he is match fit.

Well done Wilder, look forward to seeing our midfield flourish for the rest of the season :D
When we can't name a midfielder on the bench I have absolutely no understanding why we did not explore the option of signing him. Great talent and can play as a ten. Fitness is a problem but a unfit player on the bench is better than not filling the bench at all

Won't be anything like match-fit. But that's not a terrible thing for someone like Bournemouth who can ease him in gradually - we wouldn't have that luxury.

Back
Top Bottom